Baggage-Allowances Over 20 Kgs

Ricardo

I did a search for Nok air baggage but the one that came up was archived.So I apologize if this has been already answered

I purchased extra kilo's 15 to be exact so now with the free 15k ,I'll have a total of 30 .I have 2 suit cases that will be checked and one carry on.

My question, is the total weight per passenger or is it per suitcase ? I'm hoping the combine weight is for the two suitcases.

If you've purchased extra baggage-allowance, then that is weight-per-passenger, fine to have two bags (or more IME).

Indeed over-heavy individual-bags are IME more likely to get damaged in-transit, when the handle rips-off !

Their website says "These packages can be purchased only 1 package per flight per passenger.", that's referring to the fixed-price for extra-weight package, not the number of packages or pieces-of-luggage going into the hold !

http://www.nokair.com/contents/journey_plan/baggage_info/en-US/index.html

I've also seen a lot of Nok-Air passengers travel with two carry-ons, a small-rucksack or pull-along PLUS a large hand-bag or computer-bag, although this is not specified on the website. A third piece, with Crispy-Creme donuts (the shop in Departures at DMK) or OTOP-presents purchased at the airport, is not uncommon !

I did a search for Nok air baggage but the one that came up was archived.So I apologize if this has been already answered

I purchased extra kilo's 15 to be exact so now with the free 15k ,I'll have a total of 30 .I have 2 suit cases that will be checked and one carry on.

My question, is the total weight per passenger or is it per suitcase ? I'm hoping the combine weight is for the two suitcases.

If you've purchased extra baggage-allowance, then that is weight-per-passenger, fine to have two bags (or more IME).

Indeed over-heavy individual-bags are IME more likely to get damaged in-transit, when the handle rips-off !

Their website says "These packages can be purchased only 1 package per flight per passenger.", that's referring to the fixed-price for extra-weight package, not the number of packages or pieces-of-luggage going into the hold !

http://www.nokair.com/contents/journey_plan/baggage_info/en-US/index.html

I've also seen a lot of Nok-Air passengers travel with two carry-ons, a small-rucksack or pull-along PLUS a large hand-bag or computer-bag, although this is not specified on the website. A third piece, with Crispy-Creme donuts (the shop in Departures at DMK) or OTOP-presents purchased at the airport, is not uncommon !

Thanks for the comment Crispy Cream sounds aroi maak maak ;- )

• 2 weeks later...

You can fly with Malaysia Airlines with up to 30kg without any extra charges. I still love flying with Malaysia Airlines, although they had the accident with this missing plane.

you mean 2 planes... One accident, and one Murder... Edited by Dannyboy666

• 4 months later...

I flew with BA last time, hold luggage was 23kg, the hand luggage s not weighed, so long as you get it into hold above the seat its up to you. When a lot are now saying its 7kg for hand luggage this is a consideration.

I flew with BA last time, hold luggage was 23kg, the hand luggage s not weighed, so long as you get it into hold above the seat its up to you. When a lot are now saying its 7kg for hand luggage this is a consideration.

BA quote 23kg for cabin bag and then an additional personal bag. That's with the 23kg hold luggage. Quick question did they allow 2 bags in the hold or only 1. Also did you fly economy. What was it like. I'm seeing complaints of small seats. Thanks pm me if you want.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thai Airways allows up to 30kg's now not the 20 they previously limited it to for international flights out of BKK.

I think this is for those with a 'silver' thai air card - not for all and sundry.

No, Roger was correct, Thai have increased their basic hold-luggage allowance in Economy to 30 kgs, PLUS any ff-card-related extra-allowance.

http://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/plan_my_trip/travel_information/Baggage.page?

"Checked Baggage Policy by Weight Concept applicable to International Sectors within TC3, between TC2 and TC3

Categories

Maximum Combined Weight of All Pieces

Royal First Class

50 kg (110 pounds)

Royal Silk Class

40 kg (88 pounds)

Premium Economy Class

30 kg (66 pounds)

Economy Class

30 kg (66 pounds)

Infant not occupying a seat

10 kg (22 pounds)

ROP & Star Alliance Gold Members Extra

20 kg (44 pounds)

ROP Silver Member

(On TG sectors only) Extra

10 kg (22 pounds)

Yesterday morning my daughter checked in with AIR ASIA on a flight from Chiang Mai to Hong Kong. Her bag weighed 23Kgs. She was forced to pay an extra THB1,575 and inconvenienced and embarrassed by having to go half way down the airport concourse to pay this fine then return to check-in.

I am an ex-airline pilot who flew both passengers and freight. There is absolutely no justification for this behaviour. I can state categorically that the extra 3 Kgs to be carried would have cost the airline less than THB1 in extra fuel. This procedure, rigidly held to by AIR ASIA, including having their staff specifically trained to look for and implement it, is a rip-off, extortion, and blackmail. The airline knows you have no option but to pay up by the time you are at check-in and uses such excuses solely to gouge more money from passengers. In addition, its web site is constructed so that the unwary find themselves paying for services and extras that they did not want.

I could forgive this underhand practice if the extra charges were moderate and equivalent to those quoted on the web site, but they are not. It is nothing more than extortion worthy of the worst kind of loan shark, backed up by a refusal to let you on board (blackmail) if you don't pay up. Further, the two sweet young things in front of us at check-in both had baggage weighing much less than 10Kg. They were not offered a discount.

As an ex-airline pilot, it will take a great deal to sway me from the belief that the AIR ASIA CRASH of a few weeks ago was as a result of pilot error. For that reason I call into question the selection, training, and safety standards of AIR ASIA's pilots. And don't forget, it was not supposed to be flying that route on that day which exemplifies the airlines disregard for regulations that it cannot be unaware of.

AIR ASIA touts itself as a Low Cost Airline. It is not, not when you consider that the extra THB1,575 would have bought a seat on a reputable airline.

Air Asia is just CHEAP, in every sense of the word and I and my family will never fly with them again.

• Like 2

A post in Thai language has been removed:

English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

Yesterday morning my daughter checked in with AIR ASIA on a flight from Chiang Mai to Hong Kong. Her bag weighed 23Kgs. She was forced to pay an extra THB1,575 and inconvenienced and embarrassed by having to go half way down the airport concourse to pay this fine then return to check-in.

I am an ex-airline pilot who flew both passengers and freight. There is absolutely no justification for this behaviour. I can state categorically that the extra 3 Kgs to be carried would have cost the airline less than THB1 in extra fuel. This procedure, rigidly held to by AIR ASIA, including having their staff specifically trained to look for and implement it, is a rip-off, extortion, and blackmail. The airline knows you have no option but to pay up by the time you are at check-in and uses such excuses solely to gouge more money from passengers. In addition, its web site is constructed so that the unwary find themselves paying for services and extras that they did not want.

I could forgive this underhand practice if the extra charges were moderate and equivalent to those quoted on the web site, but they are not. It is nothing more than extortion worthy of the worst kind of loan shark, backed up by a refusal to let you on board (blackmail) if you don't pay up. Further, the two sweet young things in front of us at check-in both had baggage weighing much less than 10Kg. They were not offered a discount.

As an ex-airline pilot, it will take a great deal to sway me from the belief that the AIR ASIA CRASH of a few weeks ago was as a result of pilot error. For that reason I call into question the selection, training, and safety standards of AIR ASIA's pilots. And don't forget, it was not supposed to be flying that route on that day which exemplifies the airlines disregard for regulations that it cannot be unaware of.

AIR ASIA touts itself as a Low Cost Airline. It is not, not when you consider that the extra THB1,575 would have bought a seat on a reputable airline.

Air Asia is just CHEAP, in every sense of the word and I and my family will never fly with them again.

For an ex-airline pilot, you don't seem to grasp the LCC model of business.

Given that Air Asia offers online additional baggage allowance at the time of booking (or any time up to close to departure) for a reasonable fee (ie less than the 1,575 baht you were charged at check in), why did your daughter not choose this option before she got to the airport?

Raising the Air Asia crash in your complaint about your daughter's baggage charges (which you could have avoided) is disgusting in this context. Have some compassion for the families of those lost.

Inconvenienced and embarrassed because she had to go somewhere to pay the additional fees? Really? Even full service airlines usually require you to go somewhere else to pay for excess charges, seems a logical practise not to hold up the check in queue for those pax who managed to meet the agreed check in allowance.

1500-odd baht seems pretty reasonable for an international flight with that kind of excess.

Choose a full cost carrier next time, and see what their policy is regarding a 23 kg excess in the agreed allowance.

Which (reputable) airline would that be, that gets you from Chiang Mai to Hong Kong for 1500 baht?

In addition, its web site is constructed so that the unwary find themselves paying for services and extras that they did not want.

I fly this airline often, along with many other airlines - and it is hardly rocket surgery to opt out of add-on services during the booking process. Try paying attention while making your booking.

Further, the two sweet young things in front of us at check-in both had baggage weighing much less than 10Kg. They were not offered a discount.

Sweet young things? all remaining credibility in your rant lost there methinks

• Like 1

this is all nonsense Bla-Bla !

everybody knows that ALL Budget Airlines will charge for any GRAMM above the allowance you have paid for. it's even a LOT worse in Europe (the likes of Ryanair, WizzAir and to a certain degree, Easyjet.

But of course it's very easy to blame others for your own ignorance.

I used TIGER on the second day of their operation back in 2004, BKK-SIN, Budget Airlines were still few and far between in Asia, I had 18 KG instead of allowed 15 KG. I was made to pay for the 3 KG, which I did not expect and not like, but I have learnt my lesson and will NEVER EVER have one Gramm more than allowed when flying any budget Airline.

Even several legacy carriers (QATAR comes to my mind, PAL, and even LH is extremely strict too ) nowadays will make you pay for overweight luggage of just 3 KG.

this is year 2015 now and people should have learnt their lessons after so many years of Budget Airlines in operation

• 1 month later...

I have recently returned with British Airways, economy was 23kg. Cabin luggage was by size alone, not weighed, same as last year when my cabin bag weighed 13kg also you can take on board another "bag" or brief case.

Be aware that it seems likely that later this year the current size of the cabin dimensions is to be reduced to fall in line with those already on the smaller size, keep a look out.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just had my carry on bag weight on Asiana from LAX to Korea. This is the first time in my life this has happen. So my question is has anybody experienced this with Nok Air on domestic flights? I've flown with them many times ,I usually have a heavy carry on that doesn't look stuffed.Also I all ways buy extra weight when I come because of the gifts I buy when I book online

Edited by riclag

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Vietnam Air 1-way flight booked from BKK to Hanoi this weekend, economy class. Here is a screenshot from their baggage web-page. How much am I allowed to carry? Impossible to reach them by phone, no reply to emails.

Update: finally got through to someone at the airport. They confirm it is 30 kg for a single checked bag!! :)

post-14077-0-61053900-1442989181_thumb.j

Edited by Peabody

Thanks, KBENQ. That's the way I read it, but thought it odd that Cambo and Myanmar are restricted to 20, while Thailand, between those 2, gets 30.

I was also told that I can put a couple of boxes in carryon, but each has an additional baggage charge, on top of the weight surcharge.

"Can I tape 2 boxes together and have it count as only one?" "Yes, sir".

• 2 months later...

I certainly have no problem packing 30kg of stuff into my suitcase to take advantage of the allowance on EK (my usual carrier).

My main problems are to not going too much over this and carrying the bloody thing in public transports to the airport here in France.

Not an issue at Suwa because I rent a car.

• Like 1

I certainly have no problem packing 30kg of stuff into my suitcase to take advantage of the allowance on EK (my usual carrier).

My main problems are to not going too much over this and carrying the bloody thing in public transports to the airport here in France.

My son & wife flew EK (Emirates) this summer, and were allowed two bags hold-luggage each and 30kgs per person, so no need to cram it all into just one.

Edited by Ricardo

My son & wife flew EK (Emirates) this summer, and were allowed two bags hold-luggage each and 30kgs per person, so no need to cram it all into just one.

Indeed, but I only have two hands to carry my stuff on the streets and in public transportation corridors:

- one for the big suitcase on wheels

- one for the cabin baggage on wheels + computer bag attached to its extendable handle

laugh.png

• Like 1

Plus a rucksack ? rolleyes.gif

I admit that sometimes I feel like a pack-mule when traveling, luckily I'm dropped-off by car at my departure-airport, and met by car at my final-arrival one, usually have two hold-bags & two carry-ons, plus my walking-stick !

Then there's the Duty-Free ... it does all take some planning ! laugh.png

• 8 months later...

Not much changing on baggage-allowances at present  ...

I flew back to the UK in basic-Economy (World Traveler) on British Airways in May, one suitcase (up to 23 kgs) plus one carry-on (up to 23 kgs allowed  ...  I had 17 in mine, returning !) wheelie-bag, plus a handbag/computer-bag   ...  which I managed to squeeze 9 kgs of books/chocolate/cheese into !

And my similar trip next month on EVA-Air allows 30-kgs/2-bags in-the-hold, plus one carry-on (7 kgs limit) and a computer-bag again.

Has anyone flown EVA recently, and know how 'tight' they are at LHR-Terminal-2 check-in, on hold-weight and carry-ons ? Their reputation is 'strict', but actual experience also counts for something !

Happy Travels !  :)