BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
maidu

Owls And Other Birds - Sighted In C.Rai Area?

This is the kind of Kingfisher I normally see stealing fish from the pond so I assumed the other guy would do the same. I was amazed the first time I saw the size of the fish compared to the size of his head.

Kingfisher%2520%2520003%2520%25281%2529.jpg

These guys are more like an invasion as they perch on our roof in the early morning. Love to watch their arial acrobatics though.thumbsup.gif

birds%2520%2520001.jpg

#46 villagefarang

This is the Common Kingfisher, Alcedo atthis, with the red (rufous) ear coverts. This species feeds on fish only. For details have a look on the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Kingfisher

The image in post #47 shows the Barn Swallow, Hirundo rustica. The middle bird at the top is a juvenile, a young bird from this year's brood. It will moult into adult plumage next spring. These swallows are now in the moulting, non-breeding, migration period of the annual cycle.

The Barn Swallow is a cosmopolitan bird. It breeds from northern Thailand to Siberia, from Mexico to Alaska and from North Africa to northern Scandinavia. On migration masses of these birds can be found as far South as Cape Town and in Uruguay, India, Sri Lanka and Papua New Guinea.

Some notes on moulting, the cycle of plumage changes and the annual breeding cycle of birds.

Twice annually most birds moult all or part of their feathers. Some species acquire a different looking plumage outside the breeding period.

Moulting happens gradually and this can make identification difficult. Bare parts can also change colour.

Many species moult at the start and the end of the breeding period.

During the breeding period birds are territorial. Also they are more active and easily observed.

A territory is an area defended against other birds of the same species.

The annual breeding cycle of birds and the plumage sequence.

# Preliminary breeding period .

## MOULT: plumage sequence of adult birds = BREEDING.

## Arrival on breeding site.

## Territory choice and defence.

## Pair forming (courtship behaviour).

# Breeding period.

## Nest building.

## Actual mating takes place.

## The eggs are laid.

## Incubation of the eggs.

## The eggs hatch.

## The young are raised to independence.

## Territory defence stops.

## The family breaks up.

## MOULT: plumage sequence of adult birds = NON-BREEDING, plumage sequence young birds = JUVENILE (JUV).

# Non-breeding period.

## Migration, wandering.

• Like 2

hmj

I love reading your posts. You are an encyclopedia of ornithological insights. Thanks for helping the rest of us understand our feathered friends who share our space here in Chiang Rai.wai.gifsmile.png

hmj

I love reading your posts. You are an encyclopedia of ornithological insights. Thanks for helping the rest of us understand our feathered friends who share our space here in Chiang Rai.wai.gifsmile.png

Agreed here for a +1! Only 73 posts adding proof that "still waters run deep!"
  • Like 1

hmj

Agreed here for a +1! Only 73 posts adding proof that "still waters run deep!"

A well used saying but so applicable to our quiet but deep hmj. Sure hope he/she? continues his posts and I would even like to see a topic started here by hmj.smile.png
  • Like 1

I have noticed a sudden influx of birds around the commercial fish ponds - is this the start of the migratory season?

I saw my first two male Pied Harriers of the year, flying low past the pond this morning. They are such strikingly beautiful birds and I love watching their dynamic low-level acrobatics just above the rice fields.smile.png

Took these photos a few days ago. Probably some kind of Teal. Sad thing is that the pond is about to disappear as a housing project is being developed right at the edge of the pond. Kind of feel sad that the wildlife will be pushed aside again...

post-21351-0-02800000-1365735345_thumb.j

post-21351-0-02494600-1365735374_thumb.j

• Like 1

toybits #56

The correct name for your birds is Lesser Whistling-Duck or Lesser Treeduck.
They are the only resident duck species in the North of Thailand; all other duck
species seen here are are winter visitors.

Lesser Whistling-Ducks belong to the group of perching ducks: they can perch
in trees and build nests in hollow trees. Lack of suitable trees makes them nest
in waterside vegetation.

Based on their behaviour other duck species belong to the dabbling ducks and
the diving ducks

• Like 1

'dabbling ducks' sounds like some of our species I see hanging out in places lit by pink florescent lamps.

Took these photos a few days ago. Probably some kind of Teal. Sad thing is that the pond is about to disappear as a housing project is being developed right at the edge of the pond. Kind of feel sad that the wildlife will be pushed aside again...

large parcels getting scraped of all things green - are endemic proportions around Chiang Rai. It's as though someone/group is going around with some cash in their pockets and buying up every flat piece of unimproved property larger than 2 rai. What tiny bits of wildlife which may still be holding on around here - will be long gone in a few years. In their place; cement apartment blocks as far as the eye can see, from horizon to horizon.

The 'things green' are reduced not only in quantity but also in quality. This is
a world wide problem.

The fire/smoke problem stretches around the world: Central Africa, Central and
South America. Remember the smoke from fires in the peat swamp forests of Borneo
which created problems as far North as Phuket?

Apart from clear cutting and bulldozing entire forests, degradation by annual fires
reduces the biodiversity.

Older people tell that 30-40 years ago forest fires in Chiang Rai were minimal
as the forests never dried out. The streams kept flowing year round. Villages get
their household water from these streams but less is available now.

Soon the rains will come and the flooding starts. The first defense against flooding
is a healthy forest with a leaf litter/humus layer on its floor. The layer prevents
run off and allows water to percolate into the ground.

The attached images have been made at the same location: forest before the fire has
been made in early March, forest after the fire has been made in early April.

post-54996-0-45397000-1365995283_thumb.j

post-54996-0-45990500-1365995316_thumb.j