Milk In Thailand Expensive

NoBrains

I love milk to drink and its very expensive, im from west europe and pricing in Lidll or Aldi are around 18 bht a liter. In Thailand 2 liter bottles 84 bht thats ridiculous....must be cheaper then europe.

And its not only milk, much food in Thai shops these days are more expensive then Europe.

Umh... you likes milk and you bought it in Lidl??? Did you check from where it comes and wich kind it is...?

I like milk too... but i prefer to buy the fresh one coming directlty from the production factories and available in each one fresh shop in the city... just 3/4 days shelf life... but great taste and quality...

And, yes, it cost around 1,35 euro... so not that cheap...

Lidl is a place where to buy soaps...

We are what we eat... always think at this...

Milk is Thailand is not good as in europe... but looking well in the supermarkets something not too bad you can find.

But if you are looking for something cheaper than the one you found in Lidl you already got the answers... water... but tap water, because the bottled will looks you really expensive too...

wai.gif

ps

i just seen the name... no brain... i guess could be just a flame...

Edited by Ciocco

Try soya milk! Much cheaper and considerably more healthy.

Though that's often super oversweetened here and milk has a lot of things soy milk doesn't.

You can get low sugar versions from any major supermarket. Yes, cow's milk has animal proteins. Not good for daily consumption. Some evidence here:

Edited by Morakot

• 2 weeks later...

You're really complaining about nothing. 84 baht for 2 litres may be more expensive than back home but it's hardly what most would consider expensive. Some things are more expensive and some are less; the price of milk is hardly worth complaining about.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I asked something about Thai Cows milk fat content a while ago in the farming forum, and was told that you do not get much milk from a Thai cow. Maybe this is why it is expensive? Imported and taxed. Or the cows are imported and taxed. Thai's don't drink it, so Farangs will buy it and have to pay more.

• 3 weeks later...

During the dry season fantastic amounts of water have to be pumped out the ground to keep the grass green enough for Mrs. Cow (I think her name's Daisy) to eat. I think that may be what is causing the purported hugh prices.

I will continue to buy and drink it though, at any price.

• 3 months later...

Milk amongst many other things has always been more expensive than Europe.You have to either pay up,change what you drink ,or go home!

Or buy a cow!!!!!

Hahaha good one!

Well I think it makes sense. Milk isn't what many Thais drink daily. Many Thais I know get diarrhea when they drink milk.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if it's the same in Europe, but in the USA milk (like gasoline) is heavily subsidized by the government, making it appear cheaper than it truly is. I'm generally not a fan of farm subsidies but I can somewhat understand why a government might want a highly nutritious food to be affordable to low-income folks.

So it might simply be a matter of milk going for its true supply & demand-driven price here.

Edited by attrayant
  • Like 1