Advice Needed On Move To Thailand

Hi all, I'm fairly new to the forum. After doing several months of research, I would love to get some advice on my plans to move to Thailand. Firstly, a little about myself and my plans...I am a 27 year old American woman, and I am graduating from a university here next May with a Bachelors degree in English. I would like to move to Thailand for about 9months-1 year, possibly more. I have decided that teaching English would probably be the most plausible way of staying in Thailand, considering my degree. Plus, I would really enjoy the experience.

So, a few things have come to mind in developing this plan that I am having a hard time figuring out completely. First, what time of year should I move to Thailand? I have read that it is best to set up the job while you're already in Thailand, and that May and November are hiring times. I wouldn't be graduating until mid-May so I assume I'll have to go with the November hiring season? Should I move there some time in advance of the hiring season? What is the best way of going about choosing a place to live? I have looked into each region, and I know I don't want to be in a city like Bangkok, however I would like an area where I can bicycle/walk to eating places, a market, etc. Also, another issue that I'm trying to figure out is how difficult it would be for my fiance' to come with me to Thailand. He would not be working since he does not hold a Bachelors degree. However, I have read that he can get a visa by studying at a Thai university or by doing border-crossings. What are your opinions on these scenarios? I would appreciate any other input you may have, as this is a big undertaking and the more I understand about it all, the better. Thanks all!

Myanmar. Read this again after you've been here 6 months and then thank me wishing you had heeded the advice.

Could you expand on your comment please? What do you like better about Myanmar? Do they have the same visa issues for people who will not be working there? (ie: like the scenario I have currently with my fiance' coming with me).

Myanmar. Read this again after you've been here 6 months and then thank me wishing you had heeded the advice.

Could you expand on your comment please? What do you like better about Myanmar? Do they have the same visa issues for people who will not be working there? (ie: like the scenario I have currently with my fiance' coming with me).

So for the next few month spend some time on this forum... read the heated thread/bad news/weird vibes from thailand . It might come that you are not doing the right move, especially for a womanwhistling.gif

Malaysia/S.korea/Japan are a better, rational choice. No need thanks.

Edited by Bender
  • Like 1

Sounds like you are having a gap year between study and life. Why limit yourself to Thailand? Travel around. Cambodia, Laos, China, Indonesia and remove the problems of visas. Thailand is about as welcoming to people as a pitbull terrier in a junk yard. Especially those who are looking just to hang around for a while. Not sure if you have been here before, but your holiday impression is far removed from the realities. Your concept sounds lovely, like that Julia Roberts film Eat Pray Love or what ever it is. Thailand is not like the movies though.

I would think that getting a work permit for teaching for 9 months might be problematic as its a lot of work to go through for 9 months for a prospective employer of someone with no experience.

Somewhere like Cambodia you can go on a tourist visa, then buy a work visa for a year at the immigration place. A lot easier to hang around there for a prolonged period plus lots of teaching there as well.

• Like 1

You should read up on the issue of salaries and living conditions. Hopefully, you will not be graduating with a large debt otherwise you will only increase that debt when you realize after some time here that the typical teacher's salary is inadequate. Please do your homework and be ready for culture and sticker shock when you arrive. Thailand isn't the bargain it is made out to be.

• Like 1

So for the next few month spend some time on this forum... read the heated thread/bad news/weird vibes from thailand . It might come that you are not doing the right move, especially for a womanwhistling.gif

Whats wrong with a young hot woman wanting to spend time in LOS?

Thailand is a great place for a bit of a gap year.

PLENTY of young people here working for foriegn multinationals, law firms, UN, NGO's and of course other teachers. In a place like BKK, you'll have a great time. It is a world many of the old codgers on this forum don't know exists, but boy is it out there.

Just make sure you have enough dosh to do so.

Trying to be in BKK on 30K a month isn't the easiest.

Ridiculous.

Agree with samran, there are plenty of young people men and women working here and I am sure that if you are already looking at spending a year and are aware of the problems your fiance may have then you have already dealt with any debt etc you may have.

Samran has it right, and I don't know what you studied but you might want to consider looking for that job while in the US, many international schools do their hiring of teachers from overseas and it is something well worth considering.

Consider doing a TEFL/TESOL course if you want to do teaching English.

A nice way to start may be by doing the TEFL course run by TEFL International down in Ban Phe not far from Rayong - an hour or two from Bangkok. I did this myself, about 10 years back, although never went into teaching afterwards. The cost was about USD 1,500 for about 4 weeks residential training and certificate, plus a week's hands on teaching practice at a local school. They are a great outfit, and have been around for ages, and know the subject inside out as well as Thailand as a country. They can also help you with advice and finding a job afterwards. Good preparation/ training, enjoyable, gives you an insight of what you might be doing, and a chance to make some contacts and friends. I am still friends and keep in touch with some of the people from the course - some still in Thailand and the region. The company that run it are also often approached to use their contacts with their ex-students to find English teachers. You could do it together with your b/f. Their course dates are listed...

http://www.tefllife....banphe-thailand

smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile

Thank you for all of the advice!

samran, I was actually not considering BKK on 30k, but another area. From what I understand, 30k outside of BKK is possible. I'm really frugal, so I think it could work :)

it will workd great if you are a homebody!!!!!!

Thank you for all of the advice!

samran, I was actually not considering BKK on 30k, but another area. From what I understand, 30k outside of BKK is possible. I'm really frugal, so I think it could work smile.png

it will workd great if you are a homebody!!!!!!

I hope he likes Mama noodles...

Try Udon Thani/Nong kai for work/bf maybe having to do to border runs. It is the easiest and closest consulate outside of Thailand plus it does have some of the things we get back from home, such as food. The border runs will be cheaper too.

Thailand can be a shock or a welcome surprise for young western females. But you will probably like it, if the finances can stretch check out a few different places before trying for a job, you could even submit resumes on your travels and see what pans out. Can train around pretty cheap, buses are dangerous, see what and where you like so you pick the most appropriate place that suits. As you hit each area post on the local forums here and ask about accommodation options, schools etc.

Fiance can get a Ed visa studying the language in many cities if not wanting yet to do Uni, quite a few options.

Please don't take this as tacky, but if fiance comes keep a discreet eye on him, regardless of what you may think of Thai women, he is young and will probably look appealing, as without any doubt will they. Even if you are drop dead gorgeous, just saying...

To the OP,

Search for some of the big International schools and make contact with them. If you have good quals etc they pay much better salaries and provide much better conditions than most of the ' English learning mills' of which there are plenty.

IN 99% of cases you get a real work permit, a real job and a bit of respect from the local population. You will most likely have to commit to a 1 year contract, but, what's 3 months extra when you have a good job and can still enjoy your time in Thailand.

Working at an international school usually requires that you are a licensed teacher in your home country and have experience. There are private schools with bilingual and English programs that will likely pay well. Most of these schools are near urban areas, however.

They will provide you with contact with other foreign teachers as well.

I hope that the OP has enough life sense to ignore 90% of what has been written so far.

First of all it is no problem for your boyfriend to just do border runs if you are just staying for 9 months. Paying for an ED visa and taking some kind of course would cost about the same as getting a dual entry tourist visa and extending it for 1 month and then do a border jump.

Don't waste your time or money on a homegrown TEFL course or even CELTA for that matter if you are only coming for less than a year.

If you come in September/October would be better. November jobs are filled as the new semester has started. March/April is the other hiring months not May.

YOU will find work. You might not like it but there are plenty of jobs available to youngish women who have degrees.

As Scott said, don't listen to suggestions about International schools as you are not qualified for them. If they hire you, it will be dumbluck and might not be a good situation. You will definitely find work in EP or Bilingual schools. If you have a minor in another field, you could teach that easily. Science and Math teachers find it easy to get jobs.

If you are just going to do basic TEFL conversation, you will most likely only be paid about 30k a month even less if in CM. The poster that recommened CM doesn't know the teaching market. It is a great place to live but one of the worst paid provinces in Thailand.

I know that saving money isn't a priority, but it would be silly to spend all of your savings to have a comfortable life here for a year and still work.

Many schools will require a full time commitment but pay you less than Part time wages.

Your BF might be able to find work teaching also. It won't be easy finding a job that will sponsor him, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Posters commenting on him cheating is just plain retarded. Not everyone is a filanderer. I know of hundreds of young couples that come over here together and it strengthens their relationship not breaks it. He could cheat at home too and not everyone has yellow fever. (I really hate reading garbage like that every time a woman posts about coming with her partner)

• Like 2

Rancid is right even if it was a little tacky.......just alittle. I farang guy who is young will be jumped on/approached and maybe even touched-up even when you are with him in Thailand. Not always his fault and I don't mean it will happen in your local supermarket but when and if you go out usually at night it could happen. So you guys will need to set ground rules together before coming. On the other-hand it could equally happen to you also, so be aware. Thai's in general are very friendly open people.........but some like to grab-a-feel if they can get away with it. Set your rules and stick by them together, then in theory you should have no problems.