Advice Needed On Move To Thailand

Tolstoy, thank you for the sound advice and information! I was on another forum asking these same questions, and all I've gotten are pages upon pages of people wondering if my fiance' is going to cheat on me when we go to Thailand. All I can say to those comments is that everyone's experiences are different, and it's all about perspective. I'm sure if someone intends to experience Thailand in that way, then they probably will. However, our goal for living in Thailand has nothing to do with it's women. Thanks for clearing up some things about what I'm qualified for, because that was a foggy area. I have read a lot about TEFL and agree that it won't really benefit me in this situation. I have above-average common sense and love tutoring, so I think teaching will work out just fine. You said you know other couples that have come over...are any of those that you know in a situation of living off of one salary as I mentioned? I'm just trying to run the possibilities in case he can't get a job.

Tolstoy, thank you for the sound advice and information! I was on another forum asking these same questions, and all I've gotten are pages upon pages of people wondering if my fiance' is going to cheat on me when we go to Thailand. All I can say to those comments is that everyone's experiences are different, and it's all about perspective. I'm sure if someone intends to experience Thailand in that way, then they probably will. However, our goal for living in Thailand has nothing to do with it's women. Thanks for clearing up some things about what I'm qualified for, because that was a foggy area. I have read a lot about TEFL and agree that it won't really benefit me in this situation. I have above-average common sense and love tutoring, so I think teaching will work out just fine. You said you know other couples that have come over...are any of those that you know in a situation of living off of one salary as I mentioned? I'm just trying to run the possibilities in case he can't get a job.

How will you tutor students who can't speak the same language as you?

How will you manage a large class?

How will you structure lessons?

Will you know what you can and can't do culturally in class?

Teaching involves practical skills and practical skills can't be 'picked up' from reading a few things. If you feel any sort of responsibility to the students and the school, receive some training. If you are coming over for a holiday, don't bother with training. Just turn up and smile. You'll still get paid. There are a lot of foreigners here doing exactly the same. This is a very selfish attitude in my opinion as the students suffer from these weak teachers.

Where I work, we've had quite a number of couples (married, engaged and just living together). They have run into the same problems they run into in their home countries. None of them has run off with a local lass, I might add.

Financially, they have all been OK, although I don't know exactly how they did it. It might have something to do with the poverty that pervades the college years! Most even managed to save some money, but not a lot of cash. They enjoyed weekend and holiday trips around the country. In several cases, the boyfriend ended up working for the school--under the radar.

The big expense is housing and our school provided housing for them, so they only had to pay for utilities and food. They enjoyed Friday and Saturday nights out with the other teachers.

We are in a suburban area of Bangkok and the cost of living is reasonable. All of them seemed to think it was a great experience, and none of them left at the end of one year. Most left for reasons such as continuing their education, wanting to start a family etc.

The young Thai girls are pretty decent and when they know a guy is taken, it's hands off. They also are looking for a relationship, security and stability, which is something you get from an engaged man.

If he wants part-time work, he will be able to find it, although it will be slower and he may not be able to contribute fully to the financial coffers.

Loaded, though I agree with your belief in quality education. There is nothing on your list that cannot be learned quickly on the job.

Sorry, but learning cultural differences and norms comes relatively quickly. Not to mention that Thais are relatively forgiving.

As for managing a large class, most TEFL training schools don't provide training in large classes either. And in my opinion 8-10 hours of teaching practicum isn't really enough to begin with. My teaching prac was 6 months full time to get my license. I don't believe that most of these TEFL programs prepare anyone for the lower end government positions in Thailand. 50 students in the class without airconditioning, books, seats for all students. Nothing can prepare someone for that.

Also most focus on eliciting entirely which needs to be integrated slowly at many schools. The students aren't always used to that approach and to just drop it on them 100% first day will result in failure also.

"Teaching involves practical skills and practical skills can't be 'picked up' from reading a few things."

Yes, they can. Perhaps not by you, but there are many qualified and effective teachers that learn by reading. Not everyone needs to have practicums to learn.

The most important thing to remember is that being pleasant, kind and understanding is more important than everything else that you listed.

I have seen, worked with and hired countless teachers that started with no experience, good intentions, and dedication, and they turned out fine. Im sorry but teaching isn't this sacred thing, it is a job. I have found that most people who aren't good at it, don't stay in it for very long. There is a high turnover rate for teaching in general and TEFL even higher.

I get tired of the nobody but me attitude in the TEFL field. In my experience I have only worked with a few people that were total losers in the classroom. Most do an adequate job.

Let's stick to the topic of the thread.

A TEFL is definitely not going to hurt anyone and it does provide some very valuable training. Whether someone who plans on being in the country for a short period of time wishes to take one or not the topic.

It would be easy for the OP and her fiancé to survive on one income in Thailand, however, they should really look at the best way to accomplish their goals. Most schools will want their teachers to work as many hours as possible for a little pay as possible. The OP needs to make sure that they can earn enough money to travel around Thailand and the rest of SE Asia, while also making sure that they have enough time to do that travelling!

My advice would be to look for a job with a private school or with the EP program at a government school in Bangkok or nearby. It should be possible for her to find a job that pays 40K or more with a minimum of 5 - 6 weeks vacation time, and fairly easy for him to pick up some (illegal) part-time work at a language center. Although they will be stuck in Bangkok or Nonthaburi or some place similar most of they time, they will still have the money & the time they need to really see Thailand and enjoy themselves.

If they end up in a small village somewhere, earning less than 30K per month and only having 2 weeks vacation per year, it would rather defeat the purpose of coming here!

As a 26 year old, single American female teacher in Thailand, I felt that I really should chime in for once.

First of all - not at all related to teaching - bring your favorite tampons and razors. These are available here; and there is a lot that I can deal with doing without, but these are two things where I really just want the kind I can get at home. Pack accordingly or find out if your brand is available here. Thais generally don't use tampons; you generally only get these in tourist areas. Razors, I just find the women's variety lacking. Yes, I'm picky.

Next - You can certainly obtain employment in Thailand. Rather than advise you one way or the other, I'd like to pose some questions I hadn't considered myself before setting off that you might want to keep in mind for keeping a level head.

How do you feel about visa runs/working for a school that may not handle your visa paperwork properly?

Can you remain calm (losing your temper only makes things worse, I did), and work through this situation?

Even if eventually resolved, how stressed would this situation make you feel?

Are you an independent person (apply for jobs solo), or would you feel more comfortable working with a placement agency that would handle the details for you? (Make sure you do your homework on this, too, I can recommend at least one or two good agencies if that's what you'd like, but I didn't use an agency).

Does your fiance actually have a plan/idea of what he'd like to do?

Does he really want to learn Thai, try and teach English without a degree, etc., or is he just coming along? Nevermind all the comments about him cheating; but make sure you have similar expectations about coming to Thailand (what you actually get out of Thailand is less relevant than being on the same page with your partner about what the two of you want).

I am actually a licensed teacher in the US; and have moved on from a Government school to a smaller International school, so my experience will also be different from yours. I never did TEFL or CELTA but have a US credential. There is a lot of demand though; so depending on your employment expectations both you and fiance can probably work.

If you have more questions you can send me a private message, but mostly I recommend you think about your reasons for wanting to come to Thailand.

Having been here over a year and a half; one of the only things I'm rather sure of is that a lot of people, myself included come to Thailand saying it's for one reason but really have other reasons to sort through as well.

My advice is always just: figure out what your real reason is and deal with it. And enjoy your time!

Oh - and sunscreen is also cheaper in the US. Bring some over with you.

• Like 2

As for living off one salary, it will be tight but doable. The problem will be your boyfriend being bored out of his mind. Without something to occupy his time and or money to do so, it won't be the same experience that you will have.

Women tend to adjust to the teaching role and community better than most men. You will easily meet some colleagues that will show you the ropes. Whereas for men it seems that they tend to either not ask for help or not accept it when given.

You will be fine. Your boyfriend can find legal work too, but it will be harder to come by.

You can find good jobs outside of BKK. I would suggest Khon Kaen if you like that part of Thailand. There are some reasonably paid jobs at 30-40k. ajarn webpage not the forum has a large listing of jobs check that out. Most of your FAQ will be answered there also.

Some input from a 24 year old female currently teaching in Bangkok...

I would recommend getting a TEFL as it's quite handy to have, not just in terms of knowing your English grammar. You can get online 60 hour online TEFL for not a lot of money and once you have that qualification, you have it for life and may come in handy later on in life. :)

If you're female, with a degree and TEFL qualified, you will get hired no problem. Thailand is crying out for more female teachers.

Just choose your location wisely. Don't choose somewhere out in the sticks where there is not a lot for you to do as you will need to keep yourself stimulated when you're not teaching. I teach Monday - Friday from 7:15am till 4:30pm therefore my working week is quite intense leaving me with not a lot of time in the evenings to do much and going out is out of the question as I need to be in bed by 10pm for a good nights sleep. Therefore I treasure my weekends usually and really enjoy myself.

In terms of where you want to work... Most places want teachers to stay for at least the full academic year so I guess you have a choice of not telling them you're only here for 9 months or you could tell them in advance but it may limit you on your job choices. They're more likely to choose someone who wants to stay indefinitely rather than having to repeat the whole process again 9 months later.

Maybe you could work for a private language school like inlingua, wall street, elite etc? These are more flexible as far as I'm aware. Government schools are more conservative in my opinion and want teachers to stay for the full academic year. There are also loads of agencies out there that can help you if you don't mind working for an agency. Just make sure you Google or ask for advice on the particular agency as some of them are badly run and shoddy in my opinion.

As for visas, for only 9 months some places might not give you one as its not worth their while. You could get an ED visa though which would cover you for 12 months.

Good luck on your move to Thailand and I hope you enjoy it. :)

The other note about the women, as i'm in agreeance with the Tolstoy, is that they are very very conservative here. I find the average woman confident, but at the same time they aren't really interested in sending off big eye contact and alluring signals like in other countries. They are hot, they know it, and they wait for their prey to come to them. Ha, i'm kidding but it is kinda true.

I actually don't agree with the other posters about the visa. First of all you will be hired mid semester so staying full year isn't an issue as most schools will have you sign a full contract in Feb/March for the next year. Some might not pay for the visa but that isn't a big deal. It isn't a problem for them to sign the two pieces of paper required for the visa. You will just have to go over to Laos to get the non B visa. You pay for it and get the multiple Non B.

The issue is that you might not get a work permit for mid year hires. Some schools try to get out of paperwork. Try and force this issue as doing 90 day border runs on a multiple non B is tiresome.

The issue of not working a full year isn't really important either because you don't really know what is going to happen anyway. You might love it and stay 10 years or hate it and stay 10 days. Just sign the contract and give 30 days notice before you leave.

Make sure that you get a proper tourist visa before you leave and don't just fly in on a 30 day transit visa. Make sure that you have a round trip ticket before you come and not just a one way.

Do not use recruiters ever. There are enough jobs without needing to use them. More often than not, you will make more money from a school that doesn't use a recruiter.

To prepare you a little about teaching EFL

Read Jeremy Harmer "How to Teach English",

Michael Swan's Grammar "Practical English Usage",

"How Languages are Learned" by Nina Spada.

And if that isn't enough Brown's "Teaching by Principles"

Also if you have time during the fall try and do some substitute teaching. If you can handle being a sub, you can do any kind of teaching.

As for your boyfriend, what is his background? Perhaps he can get involved in that field here. Foreigners are limited but there are some options.

Coming in march/April would be a significantly better time to start your year in Thailand. As looking for a job just prior to the start of the semester will be a lot easier. You will probably be able to find one at other times of the year, but you'll have less choices.

Also if you can't initially find a job, You'd still be able to maybe pick one up for second semester (end of oct- mid march). However if you come in sept/oct and can't find one, you'd be waiting until may next year to find one. Holiday wise, for if you decide to just not bother teaching and just make it a 2-3 month holiday, April has songkran so is one of the best "holiday" months aswell (also if you goto any tourist places, you'll likely get non peak pricing)

Thank you all so much for the information! There are a lot of things here that I haven't read elsewhere, so that's very helpful. Many of you seem to be urging me to think about why I would like to go to Thailand, and this is very smart. Considering you've done this already, I understand that completely. The more I think about it though, the more I feel like I don't really have any expectations at all. I just want to go and experience Thailand and be a fantastic teacher to whomever I end up teaching. As for how I will know how to do any of it--I won't. However, I'm a quick learner, patient, independent and calm--I think all of these qualities will match what you guys are saying make for a good teaching experience for both myself and the students. It seems that some people go to Thailand expecting to bring their western world with them, and this is not my desire at all. Like many of you said, if it's not for me, I'll have a return ticket home. :)

Lostdoll....Lots of information in the previous posts which is what you need. Gather, analyze, ask more questions and then make a decision. One point I would like to bring up based on my experience in a school located in the North East of Thailand. This is based on my own personal experience. Please do not take this as a general statement for all schools and all teachers.

In my experience. In the school that I work in. Not a general statement about other schools or people. I can only stress that you practice or be familiar with classroom management. For me, handling a classroom in the UK, Canada or US is one thing, here it is totally different (in my school, not all). It is a challenge. Be prepared. Some students will take advantage of every little weakness they see and they are good at it. It is not uncommon to see teachers going home crying at the end of a day. Thai and foreign I have seen both.

But I still find it rewarding at the end of the day.

Good luck

I have been reading this discussion with great interest. I'll be moving to Thailand in one week to take a TEFL course in Bangkok, then try to find a job. I'm grateful for all these things to think about, and I hope lostdoll has a great experience. I had a look at what was moved over to the teaching side, and it was locked...wonder why?