Advice Needed On Moving To Thailand To Teach

Hi all, I'm fairly new to the forum. After doing several months of research, I would love to get some advice on my plans to move to Thailand. Firstly, a little about myself and my plans...I am a 27 year old American woman, and I am graduating from a university here next May with a Bachelors degree in English. I would like to move to Thailand for about 9months-1 year, possibly more. I have decided that teaching English would probably be the most plausible way of staying in Thailand, considering my degree. Plus, I would really enjoy the experience.

So, a few things have come to mind in developing this plan that I am having a hard time figuring out completely. First, what time of year should I move to Thailand? I have read that it is best to set up the job while you're already in Thailand, and that May and November are hiring times. I wouldn't be graduating until mid-May so I assume I'll have to go with the November hiring season? Should I move there some time in advance of the hiring season? What is the best way of going about choosing a place to live? I have looked into each region, and I know I don't want to be in a city like Bangkok, however I would like an area where I can bicycle/walk to eating places, a market, etc. Also, another issue that I'm trying to figure out is how difficult it would be for my fiance' to come with me to Thailand. He would not be working since he does not hold a Bachelors degree. However, I have read that he can get a visa by studying at a Thai university or by doing border-crossings. What are your opinions on these scenarios? I would appreciate any other input you may have, as this is a big undertaking and the more I understand about it all, the better. Thanks all!

The hiring season is strongest in March-April. The new school year begins in May. For the 2nd semester, the break is in October. There are schools that will hire you from overseas, and there are openings throughout the year, however, it's a little harder to find something that suits your desires.

Female teachers are in greater demand, especially with the younger students.

Your situation is complicated by the fact that you have a fiance. If he is planning on staying using an education visa, then you might end up tied to one of the urban areas. I would think carefully about getting stuck in a village environment if you do not know the language. Rural Thailand is nice, but as a foreigner you might be less satisfied than in a more cosmopolitan area.

The salary you will likely get will be enough for one person to live on comfortably, but it might be a little bit tight for two people. A lot of jobs provide housing, but they generally are not going to permit two unmarried people to live together.

Best of luck and keep us up-to-date.

Women teachers are really in demand - you should have nearly zero problems finding work.

I like the Bang Na area near BKK and lots of teaching jobs. Also Jomtien is nice and not to far from BKK. Eventually the key might be living very close to whatever school your teaching at.

If your fiance is 100% coming with you I would look for somewhere in Thailand not too busy but where he can get his education visa or somewhere not too far from a border-crossing. Both of these things will chew through your money. He could do private classes to make some extra cash while here so you are not the only one bringing home the bacon, plus it will help to not put a strain on your relationship. I would advice not going to any of the tourist places that you may of heard or read in the lonely planet to look for jobs apart from Chiang Mai, Hua Hin or maybe some place in the north-east (Issan). As an unmarried couple, I am sure finding a house to stay in will not be too difficult. Maybe just sent a apartment to begin and once the people/staff at school get to know you, there will be accomadation offered.

All the best, it is not always easy but sometimes worth trying something new.

Thank you for all of the sound advice! I appreciate you guys sharing your experiences with me, as this is mostly a blind journey.

Chowny77, I have actually given a lot of thought to living near a border town up north since we will most likely have to do border runs for my fiance'. Are there any areas within a few hours of the Vientaine, Laos border area that you could recommend?

I am trying to do as much research as possible since I don't have the finances to make a separate trip to Thailand to figure out whether I am going to like it or not, or what area would be best for us. We're basically going to go next September or October, and decide then whether we want to stay. If we do, then I'll just look for a job and stay; if we don't like it, then we can come home with our return tickets and at least we had a vacation.

Women teachers are really in demand.

The interesting thing to note however, is that even though they are in great demand (I agree), they don't really want to pay them any more. Doesn't this go against everything you have ever learned? Another tit thing i guess.