Cfr 250R Motord Or Cbr250R ?

greg71

Hi guys quite interested in peoples views into turning a Cfr250 into a motard style.why im asking is the cbr250 a better street bike or would the cfr modified for the street better?Ive seen the k speed bike they done up it to me was quite nice which has the better engine etc i know suspension ride quality etc etc are different for both but if modified for road.Thoughts much appreciated.

From what I've seen (and subject to change as more information comes in) the CBR has a more powerful engine. At highway speeds it will be better. Seems as if the CRF has the better suspension; HOWEVER changing the front wheel to a 17" changes the handling characteristics. One immediate concern will be the decreased rake/trail. Will make the bike more 'lively' (better than twitchy even though I think that may be the only way to describe the new handling at highway speeds).

Basically, for in city usage, perhaps the CRF will be better, especially modified, but I'd be a bit leery attempting to make it better than the CBR on long distance riding; you're going to start with a higher price and then add more to that just to reach the CBR's capabilities.

And that's not mentioning you can pretty much get a CBR with ABS for the cost of a CRF250L.

All depends on your intended riding style. I converted a XR400 to a Motard and am happy with the results as I rarely ride long distances on the highways. Then you have the expense of new wheels, tires, brakes, sprockets and most likely chain to do the conversion of CFR. Then there is the enduro kit to add lights, signals, horn, wiring, etc in order to pass road-worthiness inspection. Plus, they aren't worth a crap off road anymore once you do the conversion.