Which Preferred Thai Bank Cards For Purchasing Online With Amazon Us & Uk ?

Hi all,

I am having problems with my Krung Thai Black Diamond Visa card for payments to Amazon US.

Krung Thai told me on the phone. They do not accept sites that are not VBV enabled. Meaning Verified by Visa. In short, i cant use my KTB card.

From what i gathered in the forums. There are PLENTY of people here who buy from Amazon US without any problems. Using their Thai Debit cards.

So where did i go wrong ? Should i get another Thai bank card specifically for online payment uses ? Which one is recommended to get ?

Do i need to ask the Thai bank to put my name & Thai address spelled out in English ? Or it does not matter ?

Thanks

• Haha 1

I use a Kasikorn visa card to make online purchases, but I had to ask the bank for a seperate card number and 3 digit security number of which they gave happily.

It is part of the security Thai banks have.

Go to your bank and ask then if it's possible if not change to Kasikorn.

I use a Kasikorn visa card to make online purchases, but I had to ask the bank for a seperate card number and 3 digit security number of which they gave happily.

I have used my Kasikorn Debit Card to purchase from Amazon in the UK, who have the same requirement of verified by visa, I didn't need a separate number I just needed to register my card for online use, via a Kasikorn ATM.

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Personal/Debit/Pages/InternetshoppingbyKDebit.aspx

I wonder if the previous poster is referring to Kasikorn's virtual credit card, they didn't always allow their debit cards to be used online, but instead would supply a credit card number and CVV number which was linked to your savings account, you didn't get an actual card but could be used as a regular credit card for online purchases, pretty much redundant now that you can use your regular debit card online.

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Personal/Debit/Pages/KWebShopping.aspx

I have used my Kasikorn Debit Card to purchase from Amazon in the UK, who have the same requirement of verified by visa, I didn't need a separate number I just needed to register my card for online use, via a Kasikorn ATM.

http://www.kasikornb...ngbyKDebit.aspx

I wonder if the previous poster is referring to Kasikorn's virtual credit card, they didn't always allow their debit cards to be used online, but instead would supply a credit card number and CVV number which was linked to your savings account, you didn't get an actual card but could be used as a regular credit card for online purchases, pretty much redundant now that you can use your regular debit card online.

http://www.kasikornb...ebShopping.aspx

With Kasikorn you need to register the Debit Card for internet based purchases and for added security they SMS an OTP to complete the transaction.

Edited by simple1

^^^^

Yes, I did say that you needed to register for the service, via an ATM.

And yes you do get a one time password via SMS, this is the Verified by Visa process.

Thanks - didn't know OTP is a Verified by Visa process. The branch staff where I opened my account were kind enough to setup the notifications etc at the ATM machine. From my experiences, great service from Kasikornsmile.png

Hang on. This is strange. If that the case? The Krung Thai card could do that is'it ? I just have to register it via ATM??

But KTB said very clearly the Website must supported VBV. If not they will not approve.

Am i missing something here ??

I just asked KTB again on the phone. Now they are saying it does not matter whether the site supports VBV, the transaction will go through.. AHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGh.. Which is which ? Either way im still not getting the order through !! It is not working !

It wasn't Amazon, but a year ago, for the first time, I was trying to buy something online using my SCB debit card. Payment was refused and I ended up using a UK debit card to make the payment.

When I went into my SCB branch to enquire about the problem I was told I couldn't use my SCB debit card to buy things on the internet. I would only be able to do this with an SCB credit card (which I don't have).

Mind you, that was a year ago. I haven't tried again since.

• Haha 1

• 8 years later...

I have a mastercard from Tharnchat Bank. Works just with everything.

However maybe with a new account your card will be restricted.

I got that after I had an account with them for 15 years.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, cucme said:

I have a mastercard from Tharnchat Bank. Works just with everything.

However maybe with a new account your card will be restricted.

I got that after I had an account with them for 15 years.

how restricted please ?

On 8/3/2012 at 2:22 AM, theoldgit said:

Never tried using my Kasikorn card for Amazon but I'd just like to re-inforce this as I was never told about the activations.

I couldn't use my K card for anything other than in country, in person purchases until I enabled them.  My branch didn't tell me anything about the limitations - probably because of langauge difficulties.  Once you have left the country its too late - even their staff have to do the activations at an ATM.  There are quite a few things that may need activating if I remember correctly.  I think telephone puchases and internet purchases are 2 separate activations and I also believe there are others and limits that need setting - it seems you have to ask them, they don't tell you.

If your intended use is for purchases out of the country, you need to be able to receive the OTP on your Thai number. Fortunately I use a dual SIM phone so my Thai SIM can receive but its still a pain due to signal issues at home in the UK.  There may be an easier way but I haven't been advised of it.  There are still occasions where I can't use my card - paying for a flight direct with Etihad over the phone for example.  The strange thing is that I can use the card to book an Etihad flight online. When I asked Kasikorn why I can't use my card with Etihad over the phone, they told me they have issues with Etihad's security - odd.

Edited by KhaoYai

I have been using my SCB and BBB Bank Cards fir international purchases for years with no issues. This includes Amazon US and UK as well.

Yes, you must be sure to have your card internet enabled. You can do this with the bank by phone to their call center.