Does Anyone Recommend Me With A Best Mosquito Spray Or Repellent In Cm In Case Of Dengue Fever?

jiangaq

I use this stuff, and have for years. No need to completely coat yourself either... Just roll on a stripe on each side of your arms and legs, and a bit on the backs of your hands and neck. When I remember to use it, it works perfectly... Shake it well before rolling it on.

Thailand%2BMosquito%2BRepellent%2Bwith%2BDeet.jpg

• Like 1

jaico is pretty much state-of-the-art mosquito repellant...

where do you buy it and how much do you pay there?

I can find it in just about every pharmacy all over Thailand, and many convenience stores. It comes in two sizes, both with roller-ball applicators. I'm sorry but I have no idea how much it costs, as I've never bought it by itself. I do remember thinking that it was fairly expensive, and then I reminded myself about the cost of catching Dengue... and bought the large size bottle!

For city use I use the citronella spray from Tops 80 baht or so and it seems to do the job for about 3 hours. If I ever go to jungle areas I use Bushman's which I brought from Oz which is 80% deet. I don't like using deet every day though as my skin gets a reaction after about a week where it feels like the deet is burning under my skin.

I bought some 100% deet in the states one year, and re-packaged it into a pump-spray bottle. I wasn't going to need it for a while so I put it into a double layer of zip-lock bags and stuffed it into the drawer. 6 months later I was packing to come over, went to get the repellent and discovered a baggie full of liquid and the pump cap for the bottle. The deet had completely dissolved the container I tried putting it in! Melted it completely leaving only the hard plastic pump and the bag...

Try mixing buffalo's bile with osprey's offal.

Sorry, I think that the best mosquito spray varies from person to person, they drop dead from alcohol poisoning if they try to bite me for example.

Or did you mean the best spray for attracting mosquitoes? Same recommendation as above.

DEET is the most effective, comes in different concentrations from 100% to about 15% I think. Very effective, dissolves plastic ,destroys plastic lenses and damages cameras. But effective. Since i wear plastic lenses, I use citronella based anti mossie. Doesn't last as long, smells better and I'm happy. Pays your money, takes your pick. After ? 7 years here, still OK.

For city use I use the citronella spray from Tops 80 baht or so and it seems to do the job for about 3 hours. If I ever go to jungle areas I use Bushman's which I brought from Oz which is 80% deet. I don't like using deet every day though as my skin gets a reaction after about a week where it feels like the deet is burning under my skin.

:rolleyes: well, it does. So why not lower the dose? It's been mentioned already that a lower dose is just as effective, just for shorter periods of time. Assuming you're sleeping in screened rooms (or under a net), the only use is when you're out and about. So then 3 hours of protection before having to re-apply is plenty.

Sorry, cant' remember the brand but you can get the foil packets with wipes in a package of 24 I think at Big C. The packages are blue and white. Each contains two small wipes. I like these because I can carry them in a pocket easily and use when needed. Much more convenient than a bulky container which means I tend to actually have them when I need and for me, that's the big issue, actually having the repellant within reach.

I'll still use Deet, but I wash it off as soon as seems wise. The Dengue-carrying mosquito feeds only in the late afternoon-early evening (assuming their watch is accurate...) and that's the times when, if I'm outside, I'll apply a strong deet repellent. In the mornings and later evenings I'll use a lot less repellant.

I use these 2 products.

Anything with DEET works.

The Sketolene is 20%.

The other in the blue and white bottle is 25%.

Sketolene has a spray applicator (handy if you are somewhere that has no wash facilities, and you don't want the stuff all over your hands).

The other is a little stronger concentration, and has a much more pleasant scent- rather like a men's cologne. Also not so greasy feeling on the skin.

Both are considerably less expensive than Off, and other foreign brands, and work great.

post-23786-0-43586700-1344135960_thumb.j

post-23786-0-45588400-1344136033_thumb.j

I use these 2 products.

The Sketolene is 20%.

Sketolene has a spray applicator (handy if you are somewhere that has no wash facilities, and you don't want the stuff all over your hands).

The other is a little stronger concentration, and has a much more pleasant scent- rather like a men's cologne. Also not so greasy feeling on the skin.

Both are considerably less expensive than Off, and other foreign brands, and work great.

The blue and white brand on the right is the brand of wipes I suggested.

• Like 1

Thanks all for above information!

Is DEET containing repellent really unhealthy to our skin? That's my concern after reading all above.

Yes... and no.

We slathered on 100% deet from morning til night every day for a year... back in the day. Just about bathed in the stuff.

Many got different rashes, but they 'could have' come from a dozen different causes. No way to say for sure any of them came from deet.

I still produced healthy children afterwards, and no skin diseases.

I've been using deet for more than 45 years now, and will continue to use it, but with care.

We do know that deet will dissolve some plastics and synthetics.

Scientists do say that high concentrations of deet has been shown to cause skin problems in laboratory animals.

Today you can choose to buy anywhere from 15%-100% concentrations, and we know that there is no need to totally coat ourselves from morning til night. Put it on when you need it. Wash it off when you don't.

I don't think it's something to worry about.

Is DEET containing repellent really unhealthy to our skin? That's my concern after reading all above.

Yes... and no.

We slathered on 100% deet from morning til night every day for a year... back in the day. Just about bathed in the stuff.

Many got different rashes, but they 'could have' come from a dozen different causes. No way to say for sure any of them came from deet.

I still produced healthy children afterwards, and no skin diseases.

I've been using deet for more than 45 years now, and will continue to use it, but with care.

We do know that deet will dissolve some plastics and synthetics.

Scientists do say that high concentrations of deet has been shown to cause skin problems in laboratory animals.

Today you can choose to buy anywhere from 15%-100% concentrations, and we know that there is no need to totally coat ourselves from morning til night. Put it on when you need it. Wash it off when you don't.

I don't think it's something to worry about.

I'm surprised to see DEET recommend here as all. Usually it is as shunned as antiperspirants that contain aluminum. Must be a bunch of right wingers on this forum now, otherwise it would have been pointed out that if you eat only organic vegetables you won't get bit by mosquitoes.

I'm surprised to see DEET recommend here as all. Usually it is as shunned as antiperspirants that contain aluminum. Must be a bunch of right wingers on this forum now, otherwise it would have been pointed out that if you eat only organic vegetables you won't get bit by mosquitoes.

Small comfort to the millions of poor children who die every year (most of whom only ate organic vegetables- families too poor to afford meat, pesticides or fertilizer) from terrible diseases such as malaria, West Nile virus, Japanese encephalitis, dengue.....

More info on DEET here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEET

http://www.cdc.gov/n...lentUpdates.htm

It's a 2-edged sword. DEET has some negatives, no doubt. But getting a life threatening disease that is borne by mosquitos is a far more serious thing IMO.

As for the comment about "right wingers"- anyone who knows me personally would be astonished by this characterization.whistling.gif

• Like 1

I bought some 100% deet in the states one year, and re-packaged it into a pump-spray bottle. I wasn't going to need it for a while so I put it into a double layer of zip-lock bags and stuffed it into the drawer. 6 months later I was packing to come over, went to get the repellent and discovered a baggie full of liquid and the pump cap for the bottle. The deet had completely dissolved the container I tried putting it in! Melted it completely leaving only the hard plastic pump and the bag...

i tried to explain deets potential as a solvent on the bangkok forum and some moron called me a liar. it makes very short work of certain types of plastics

I use these 2 products.

The Sketolene is 20%.

The blue and white brand on the right is the brand of wipes I suggested.

I agree 100%, and if you see the "wipes" buy several. I actually paid 8 thb at a pharmacy yesterday, after them being sold out at severall 7-11s. I've been here two months and don't have a single bite.

The creams are a little messy and are scented, but are a lot better than nothing. two wipes for 5 thb..definitley the best. Been camping in Alligator Alley, so I am quite experienced on this matter. I also believe that lower cholesterol will keep them away.

• 2 weeks later...
I use these 2 products.

The Sketolene is 20%.

Hi mcgriffith

Could you clarify what the blue and white bottle on the right is called please. What do I ask for when I go into the shop?

Thank you

Greetings from over the Silver Sea

Well I have been told that if you put Listerine in a spray bottle and spray a little on you they will leave you alone. Also spray around your window or door frames stops them from entering.

Not sure about the smell for you personally but supposedly offensive to the little buggers.

Anything with DEET is a winner. Any DEET stronger than 35% is overkill.

I prefer to spray on my clothes and hat rather than directly on my body if possible. Spraying DEET on mosquito nets draped over your beds is an effective deterrent. Google 'WHO mosquito net'... permethrin / deltamethrin'

Citronella plants in your garden around the house, throughout the yard, and around your pet enclosures is a plus. Works for us.