Teach Me About Samui

I have never been to Samui but Im looking for a change of pace so Im thinking about moving out there for a while. I lived in the south for about 6 months and now Bangkok for 6 months so Im looking for something a little different.

Some people I talk to tell me that Samui is expensive. When they say this I beleive that they are talking about day to day things such as eating and going to the market and such. I cant imagine that it will be much worse then where I am in Bangkok though. How do the prices compare for various things? Like going out for dinner, nothing too fancy or expesnive but just some grub? What about the prices at the major stores?

Are there certain items that I just cant get, or will be hard to get because it is an island? Like fruit or cheese or other non food items?

Whats rent like? Im not expecting to live in the middle of it all. I wouldnt mind renting a house with 2-3 bedrooms. Location is not too big of a deal. I wouldnt mind living in a more local thai area instead of a mostly farang area but something somewhat close to a beach would be a plus.

The only other thing I need is a solid connection to the internet. Is this a problem?

How are visa runs from samui? Whats the easiest way to do it?

Anything else you can share would be very helpful.

Thanks

Edited by poorfarang

Well, I'm not on Koh Samui, rather Koh Phangan but I can give you some info on island life and prices.

The common mistake most people make is the lack of understanding regarding the origins of the goods they purchase. Nearly everything on the island is brought in. Usually from Bangkok. Now, that means not only does the trucking have to be paid but the ferry charges as well. An island is ALWAYS more expensive than the mainland for these reasons alone.

I have been coming to Samui every year since 1999 and I love the place, but it's dangerous. I may move here myself when they get things sorted. They don't enforce safty helmet wearing like they do in Phuket and the roads need to be fixed.

On the upsede there's lots of foreign chicks here at the moment and it is a little more expensive than Bangkok.

Here you will pay 10 baht for a bag of steamed rice instead of 5 baht.

I have been coming to Samui every year since 1999 and I love the place, but it's dangerous. I may move here myself when they get things sorted. They don't enforce safty helmet wearing like they do in Phuket and the roads need to be fixed.

On the upsede there's lots of foreign chicks here at the moment and it is a little more expensive than Bangkok.

Wes, I would like to nominate you for the Thai Visa post of the year 2006.

As you aware there are many categories. Your post falls into a few of them.

But to be fair to you, I nominate you for the "###### of the year" award.

Good luck, I am sure you will win.

Why the sudden angst against this post. I mean, it's not what I would post about Samui, nor is it my impression of Samui. But I can't see a reason for the nasty reply?!?

Why the sudden angst against this post. I mean, it's not what I would post about Samui, nor is it my impression of Samui. But I can't see a reason for the nasty reply?!?

Ditto suegha, not so sudden my dear, have a look at some previous crap mr turner has written.

you guys make me laugh :D

not sure what's going on with wes turner. i'm still trying to work out what ##### means!! no need to enlighten me... i might be better off not knowing! :o

i think samui is lovely. it's no more dangerous than anywhere else in the world and a lot safer than most. Like everywhere, you're likely to be absolutely fine if you're not looking for trouble...

i agree about prices being a bit more than bangkok - but it's still pretty good value for money i think. you can still get a good meal for 30 baht. i wouldn't worry about not being able to get stuff. there's a pretty big range of stuff there - and in case you don't find what you're looking for anywhere else... a whacking great tesco lotus :D

you've got the choice of busy places (chaweng and maybe lamai) and loads of really quiet places (mainly south and west coast) and loads in the middle.

there's loads of choice in terms of accommodation - and if you want to PM me i can put you in touch with someone who has a place 2 mins away from choeng mon and big buddha beaches, but in a mixed area (thai and farang). choeng mon is my favourite place! really beautiful and a good choice of restaurants. what more do you want!!!

hope you find what you're looking for...

Ditto suegha, not so sudden my dear, have a look at some previous crap mr turner has written.

Point taken! I still think, however, that we should just deal with the current topic and not a members 'history'.

you guys make me laugh :D

not sure what's going on with wes turner. i'm still trying to work out what ##### means!! no need to enlighten me... i might be better off not knowing! :o

i think samui is lovely. it's no more dangerous than anywhere else in the world and a lot safer than most. Like everywhere, you're likely to be absolutely fine if you're not looking for trouble...

i agree about prices being a bit more than bangkok - but it's still pretty good value for money i think. you can still get a good meal for 30 baht. i wouldn't worry about not being able to get stuff. there's a pretty big range of stuff there - and in case you don't find what you're looking for anywhere else... a whacking great tesco lotus :D

you've got the choice of busy places (chaweng and maybe lamai) and loads of really quiet places (mainly south and west coast) and loads in the middle.

there's loads of choice in terms of accommodation - and if you want to PM me i can put you in touch with someone who has a place 2 mins away from choeng mon and big buddha beaches, but in a mixed area (thai and farang). choeng mon is my favourite place! really beautiful and a good choice of restaurants. what more do you want!!!

hope you find what you're looking for...

Totally agree with you. Choeng Mon is also one of my favorite places - bautiful at night at all of the lovely restaurants serving fantastic foods at reasonable prices...

From what I can gather Samui seems to get a lot of unfair press and there is a lot of negativity about the people, the infastructure, the police and everything.

It is a touch more expensive than Bangkok but then again Bangkok does not have glistening turquoise sea and tropical rain forest.

There are many road accidents so take care if you are driving, this is an island that has broken many backpacker parents hearts.

It is a touch more expensive than Bangkok but then again Bangkok does not have glistening turquoise sea and tropical rain forest.

It is more expensive, because it is an island. I estimate it is about 20-25% procent more expensive overall, which is not too bad. Local people have it more difficult than foreigners.

Turquoise sea??? Tropical forest???

I never seen it on Samui. All there is are coconut plantations, which by the way are sick on many places and probably have to be destroyed. The see is only turqouise with pink glasses on. With normal glasses it looks a little greenish or brownish.

Tropical rain forest is very minimal and you have to travel inside which for normal people is very difficult if not impossible.

But that is just me with my negativity.

About the traffic, if you don't drive a motorcycle at home, please please don't try to drive one here.

I have seen to many people with injuries and a "Samui tattoo". Just go with a songteaw or rent a taxi. The few baht that you will save is not worth it on your holiday.

With my negativity gone (Writing about it helps a lot.) you deserve some real answers.

Some people I talk to tell me that Samui is expensive. When they say this I beleive that they are talking about day to day things such as eating and going to the market and such.

If it is available local the prices are the same. Things like seafood is pretty cheap. IF you want fruit or vegetables that have to be brought in from the mainland expect an increase of around 20%

On day to day when you make your on food you probably spend 50+ baht more a day.

If you buy chicken on the market expect to pay 90-100 baht a kilo. Better to go to lotus as the market people do and buy it for around 50 baht a kilo. Same for pork and beef.

I cant imagine that it will be much worse then where I am in Bangkok though. How do the prices compare for various things? Like going out for dinner, nothing too fancy or expesnive but just some grub? What about the prices at the major stores?

Out to dinner, simple Thai restaurant style you can expect to pay 60-80 baht for a fried rice and a soft drink. In bangkok i can have the same for 40 baht. If you want some western food, say spaghetti it is around 100-120 baht.

Prices in the major stores, i suspect you mean something like Lotus is almost the same as in Bangkok. It is brought here with big trucks full.

Are there certain items that I just cant get, or will be hard to get because it is an island? Like fruit or cheese or other non food items?

Many things are available, because of the many western style restaurants you have quit a good choice. Forget about Chaweng, Bhoput, Lamai, etc.. Go to Nathon for affordable western food and ingredients.

Whats rent like? Im not expecting to live in the middle of it all. I wouldnt mind renting a house with 2-3 bedrooms. Location is not too big of a deal. I wouldnt mind living in a more local thai area instead of a mostly farang area but something somewhat close to a beach would be a plus.

There seems to be a big shortage of 2 and 3 bedroom houses (bungalows). Most of them are single bedroom.

Prices are all over the range. For a good quality bungalow with kitchen bathroom and 1 bedroom expect to pay from 5000 baht inside to 8000-100.000 baht on the beach.

8000-100.000 seems rediculous, and it is. 8000 will get you a nice one south of lamai all the way to Nathon and the north west coast. If you start to near Chaweng it gets crazy and it probably isn't worth it compared to other locations.

For a 2 bedroom expect to pay from 12000 inland or 15000 up on the beach.

Best to look for a place to stay in low season and make a deal for a longer period.

The only other thing I need is a solid connection to the internet. Is this a problem?

Solid, most of the times. There are blackouts once in a while, but nothing major.

ADSL is available, expect to be put on a waiting list, or try to get to know someone who has a brother working with the telephone company. It will shorten it to 2 weeks instead of several months.

Easiest is Singapore. You have a direct flight. I can not look in your wallet but obviously this is not the cheapest route. Another possibility is going to Ranong/Myanmar. It takes you from 5am to 5pm, and it will cost you around 1500 baht.

Hope it helps.

Try it here for a while first. Location is the most important. In Chaweng it feels like you are in Spain, while the south is still ok. One place is completely different as the other. You will surely find one you like.

edit: Fixed the quotes.

Edited by Khun Jean

Easiest is Singapore. You have a direct flight. I can not look in your wallet but obviously this is not the cheapest route.

The guy calls himself poor farang, I don't think he'll be flying to Singapore. :o

I wonder if he is concerned about the cost of a 10 baht bag of rice like you were a bit further up the page :D

Easiest is Singapore. You have a direct flight. I can not look in your wallet but obviously this is not the cheapest route.

The guy calls himself poor farang, I don't think he'll be flying to Singapore. :o

I wonder if he is concerned about the cost of a 10 baht bag of rice like you were a bit further up the page :D

Are you still pissed at me for taking Boo's side the other day? :D

Are you still pissed at me for taking Boo's side the other day? :D

I don't get pissed (off), just even :D

I was only trying to help you get on with the ladies with some good advice Wes. How far have you got so far. Your line about your well built 44 yo body should have helped.

:D

Edited by Old Croc

I don't know about Wes, but Old Croc sounds like a bitter old lady who couldn't get it on with the postman, if she tried.

Ps: Blabbel, not pissed (off), either. :D

Witty repartee aka_Blabbel. :o As a bitter old lady perhaps I should go back to the Ladies forum where I belong? :D

I don't know about Wes, but Old Croc sounds like a bitter old lady who couldn't get it on with the postman, if she tried.

Ps: Blabbel, not pissed (off), either. :D

Witty repartee aka_Blabbel. :o As a bitter old lady perhaps I should go back to the Ladies forum where I belong? :D

Blabbel

Btw, questioning my gender, ............. doesn't add to your credit.[/quote}

This is a statement you made in an earlier post Blabbel.

Edited by Old Croc

• 1 month later...
samui is a sh#t hole stay away if you like your sanity there are many better places to go with real thai people rather than the plastic thais just interested in your money.

and yes i had a very bad experience on samui so blow it out ya arse.

a happy man now

allan

Sorry to hear of you bad experience

Where would you suggest as a serious alternative

samui is a sh#t hole stay away if you like your sanity there are many better places to go with real thai people rather than the plastic thais just interested in your money.

and yes i had a very bad experience on samui so blow it out ya arse.

a happy man now

allan

Sorry to hear of you bad experience

Where would you suggest as a serious alternative

Isn't it interesting how we judge a place according to our experiences. I have never had anything but good experiences on Samui - I love it!

ps I also am sorry to hear of your bad experience.

If you're paying 1500 baht for a visa run to Ranong from Samui, you are paying a nice premium to your travel agent. 1200 to 1250 baht is more like it for the organised trip and that includes breakfast and lunch.

Samui is ok. There are still some amazingly beautiful places where you not under pressure to spend cash.

Though there are a few get-rich-quick merchants peddling their various schemes as well as much more of the ubiquitous sex tourist.

Some people will go through there lives on Samui will minimal hassle, others will have no end of hassle.

I know of someone who lost 37,000,000 baht in a dodgy deal on Samui. He put posters up accusing a certain Cabaret singer cum Chaweng Spa 'personality'.

I think the real problem is that many people go to Thailand with the misconception that it is the Land of Smiles and friendly people.

The ones who understand that the Thais are human, like everyone else, are more likely to survive there.

If you're paying 1500 baht for a visa run to Ranong from Samui, you are paying a nice premium to your travel agent. 1200 to 1250 baht is more like it for the organised trip and that includes breakfast and lunch.

Samui is ok. There are still some amazingly beautiful places where you not under pressure to spend cash.

Though there are a few get-rich-quick merchants peddling their various schemes as well as much more of the ubiquitous sex tourist.

Some people will go through there lives on Samui will minimal hassle, others will have no end of hassle.

I know of someone who lost 37,000,000 baht in a dodgy deal on Samui. He put posters up accusing a certain Cabaret singer cum Chaweng Spa 'personality'.

I think the real problem is that many people go to Thailand with the misconception that it is the Land of Smiles and friendly people.

The ones who understand that the Thais are human, like everyone else, are more likely to survive there.

[/quot

Interesting you mentioned about the Chaweng Spa (personality), I knew this guy and some of the story, he has disappered from Samui a few years ago. What was the out come does anyone know.