Teach Me About Samui

Too many people come with expectations of "paradise island" well, as has been stated before, Samui, as everywhere in Thailand, is populated by real people; both good and bad.

There are always a few stages of expat life: 1) everything is wonderful, the Thai people are great, its a paradise 2) everything is terrible, the Thai people are all rip off merchants, its a he!! hole. and finally 3) acceptance that everywhere has its good points and bad, good people and bad and that life is just life, wherever you choose to lead it.

samui is a sh#t hole.......

and yes i had a very bad experience on samui so blow it out ya arse.

a happy man now

allan

Let me guess: woke up and found "she" was a "he" eh????? :o

.....and 'she' looked so good at Lamai Cabaret!!! :D

Edited by game4shame

The island is not that big....

Just curious.....with so many farangs there......Is it now a farang's island or still a thai's island?

I'm talking about overall population ratio and the atmosphere there.

In a nutshell, you could describe it as a 'holiday island'. Just as Phuket could be described as a holiday island and Pattaya a holiday town.

By this I mean that it is obviously not the same as a 'standard' (sorry for this poor choice of adjective) Thai town such as say, Khon Kean or Korat, in the sense that Las Vegas is unlike Cincinnati or Ibiza is unlike Valencia.

Nathon is the most 'Thai' settlement on the island in the way you're probably referring to. Also, you can get a flavour of real Thainess if you go to the local markets put on for local people rather than tourists (often in temple grounds).

Walking down the main street in Chaweng, not authentically Thai and not my cup of tea. Having said that, it obviously appeals to holidaymakers.

A moot point, this, the discussion about 'Thainess'.

Parts of Bangkok that I've lived in have been very Thai and I've often been the only Farang in a whole condo block. Far removed from parts of Sukhumvit or Silom..... but hey I'm sliding off thread.