American Sriracha Sauce

WinnieTheKhwai

Does anyone know if there is a shop that has it, specifically the Rooster Brand (Huy Fong) ?

I looked at Rim Ping and they didn't have it.

I got another one, made in Thailand though clearly intended for export. I like it, and it's *really* hot, but I now need to know how it compares to the real thing, pictured below.

Huy-Fong-Sriracha.jpg

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huy Fong is the best sriracha sauce- ironically made made by a Vietnamese-American in So. Cal.

Their sambal oelek sauce (Indonesian chili paste) is to die for.

Of course the Thais are a bit huffy about the use of this name...but they neglected to patent or trademark.

I haven't seen it here, Winnie.

I just use the old standby 3 Mountains.

The Thai sauce (no doubt the most authentic) has like many Thai condiments too much sugar to my taste.

post-23786-0-94165400-1344133385_thumb.j

• Like 2

Not sure if you could call the typical Thai one authentic; unsurprisingly it's not very widely used other than with fried egg dishes or the fried battered mussels thing. In Vietnam, their variety (on which the Rooster Brand one is based) seems more widely used, also in noodle soups. And then in the US it's now really a thing, with people putting it on just about anything. (Classic: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/sriracha )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Huy Fong is the best sriracha sauce- ironically made made by a Vietnamese-American in So. Cal.

Their sambal oelek sauce (Indonesian chili paste) is to die for.

Of course the Thais are a bit huffy about the use of this name...but they neglected to patent or trademark.

I haven't seen it here, Winnie.

I just use the old standby 3 Mountains.

The Thai sauce (no doubt the most authentic) has like many Thai condiments too much sugar to my taste.

post-23786-0-94165400-1344133385_thumb.j

Yup, I'm originally from S. California. Know the brand well. My fridge was always stocked with both the Huy Fong chili sauce and the sambal oelek sauce. Both very popular in California. My parents always had them too. I wish I could find them here. The last time I had any, I found one small bottle of the Huy Fong sambal paste at Carrefour in Murcia, Spain in about 2004. That was the last bottle and they never stocked it again.

Edited by elektrified

Not sure if you could call the typical Thai one authentic; unsurprisingly it's not very widely used other than with fried egg dishes or the fried battered mussels thing. In Vietnam, their variety (on which the Rooster Brand one is based) seems more widely used, also in noodle soups. And then in the US it's now really a thing, with people putting it on just about anything. (Classic: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/sriracha )

I knew when I saw Mexican-Americans in CA starting to put it on much of their food about 15 yrs ago, that the guy had hit a gold mine with his product.

It's so popular, there is counterfeiting going on:

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/apr/18/business/fi-golden18

• Like 1

Huy Fong isnt the original Sriracha, you've all been fooled by that vietnamese guy.

I don't like typical Thai Sriracha. It's pretty nasty stuff, kind of a sweet-ish orange goo that isn't even spicy enough.

Thats because what you think is typical isn't actually the real stuff.

The real stuff has a chalky liquid consistency.

The stuff that people think is Sriracha (orange goo) is actually called 'sauce prik'...not sriracha

Hi Winnie, I'm in Denver right now and I'll be back in C.M. at the end of the month and bringing back some of that Sriracha Sauce for my own kitchen. If you like, I can probably fit in a bottle or two for you and meet up somewhere in town, You can p.m. me if your interested.

Always had a bottle of or two in my fridge in America (originally turned on to it at a Pho shop) and here I use 3 Mts., they also have a yellow "strong" version and 863 brand is another good but more spicy one.

In tops today at the airport I saw some that said Mountain Brand

thought we carried that heavenly creation at sh*tping when i worked there...but noticed whenever i used up all the good mayo or etc..it would take them weeks to reorder it..i told them to simply change suppliers or hell, id just order it from amazon..but we both know how business works and the thainess of things so it was a constant state of frustrated inc working there..so..amazon???

btw the oatmeal rules as well one of my favs too..good rainy day site..all hail king sriracha-he is lord

I don't like typical Thai Sriracha. It's pretty nasty stuff, kind of a sweet-ish orange goo that isn't even spicy enough.

The stuff that people think is Sriracha (orange goo) is actually called 'sauce prik'...not sriracha

I'm going to have to disagree.. Looking at the label of your typical Orange-Goo bottle, it does say 'Sriracha' on it. (Like in the below label)

post-64232-0-50272800-1344584015_thumb.j

I'm going to have to disagree.. Looking at the label of your typical Orange-Goo bottle, it does say 'Sriracha' on it. (Like in the below label)

Do you drink that with a straw? w00t.gif

its funny to see the evolution of sriracha, as a kid it wasnt the same, now its some thick sweet goo.

anyway, it may say sriracha but its not the original sriracha.

I got some from the Bayon market in Phnom Penh, Cambodia last time I was there - fair price and plenty of bottles.

Unfortunately I foolishly took it carry on... made it through the Cambodia check point but lost it in Bangkok.

That market also has huy fong chili paste (which is also awesome).

I'm going back this month and I'll be buying a lot of this stuff!

Edited by drnkurmlkshk

Always had a bottle of or two in my fridge in America (originally turned on to it at a Pho shop) and here I use 3 Mts., they also have a yellow "strong" version and 863 brand is another good but more spicy one.

Tops at Kad San Keaw has the 3 mountains brand. Tried the yellow one (hot) and its nice , mostly i like it more spicey.

• 8 months later...

I have a brand new bottle of the American Rooster Sauce sitting in my kitchen. Just brought it over (and an additional one for a friend in Bangkok), last month. I wonder if I should put the bottle up for auction to the highest bidder? whistling.gif

-Mestizo

• Like 1

I know my BBQ baked beans with bacon and the Chipotle sauce is a killer, so... To safe y'all time it's easier to just let me be the winner. thumbsup.gif

How about we do our own taste off/potluck with each person bringing a different bottle of hot sauce and a dish of food

• Like 1