How Much To Live In Isaan Really Cheap?

finy

I don't want any negitive comments about the cheap part, please.

I basically have a job as a freelance article writer. As of now I've been paying debts off. I need to save $3000 emergency funds.

But I figured instead of staying at home, which I hate, I could live in Issan really cheaply while I save up the $3000. Maybe 1-1.5 months.

So I was wondering how much I could do it per month. I really just need a simple room and Internet connection. I just want to know how much this will cost.

I guess food costs 25bht etc for a cheap dish. I'm quite willing to live as cheap as possible for a month, rather than be miserable at home.

Cheers

I would have said a bit more than ฿5000.-, I live in my wife's house, so no rent, but she reckons without beer (! without beer !), internet, car, and eating mainly off the farm, we could live well enough on ฿10 000.- a month. You can get a room in Buriram for ฿1200.-, food another ฿3000.-, utilities on top of that.

I would hate to live like that but many Thais do it. However they speak Thai and have a family to help.You also need to have emergency money for bus fare/air fare /medical expenses.

I would be nervous even about trying it on ฿15 000.-, let alone ฿5000.-.

• Like 1

I lived in Mahasarakham for a few years in a typical 'student accommodation' set up.

Single room with bathroom attached, a small balcony and free internet (not the fastest but adequate) included.

Highest total rent including water, electric and running A/C (as I felt inclined) less than 5K baht/month.

Close to town and all mod cons within walking distance.

Worked for me.

I was doing similar stuff to the OP.

• Like 1

Fan room, cold shower but free wifi are 2,500 baht a month in Ubon. If you include elec and water add another 600 baht a month. Meals as you said from 25 baht. Drinking water 1 baht a ltr from roadside machines. What else could you possibly need :)

• Like 2

I would suggest a minimum requirement of 15.000 Baht for the month for everything.

I do on an average of 12000 Bht per month. But I have no rent to pay, no electricity- bills, no water-bills. (I don't use enough). BUT: If a "Beer-Bar" and "Girl-Factor" comes into play be prepared to double the amount.

< < Specifics of prostitution edited from post per forum rule 18 > >

It may be different in the Isaan, I don't know. This is to say that frugal living in Thailand in the sticks is possible. But only under the exclusion of something like "Woman, Wine and Song".

Cheers.

Edited by metisdead
: 18) Not to discuss the specifics of prostitution.Thailand has a visible sex industry, and acknowledgment of that fact is not forbidden. However ThaiVisa is not the place to seek or give information on this topic, regardless of your sexual habits, p
  • Like 1

I would suggest a minimum requirement of 15.000 Baht for the month for everything.

I do on an average of 12000 Bht per month. But I have no rent to pay, no electricity- bills, no water-bills. (I don't use enough). BUT: If a "Beer-Bar" and "Girl-Factor" comes into play be prepared to double the amount.

< < Specifics of prostitution edited from post per forum rule 18 > >

It may be different in the Isaan, I don't know. This is to say that frugal living in Thailand in the sticks is possible. But only under the exclusion of something like "Woman, Wine and Song".

Cheers.

Well he is talking about living in Issan so any comparison with Pattaya is not needed and he never mentioned whoring either which would not be needed if surviving on the cheap would it?

But for your info it can be got for free if you handsome man same me and it floats your boat! or at the most 500 baht...really! thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Fan room, cold shower but free wifi are 2,500 baht a month in Ubon. If you include elec and water add another 600 baht a month. Meals as you said from 25 baht. Drinking water 1 baht a ltr from roadside machines. What else could you possibly need smile.png

Beer?

Fan room, cold shower but free wifi are 2,500 baht a month in Ubon. If you include elec and water add another 600 baht a month. Meals as you said from 25 baht. Drinking water 1 baht a ltr from roadside machines. What else could you possibly need smile.png

Beer?

Large Leo from 45 baht at mini marts..........but isn't that a luxury?

• Like 1

Beer?

Kitty?

Beer?

Kitty?

That's free ;)

Apparently the whole of Buriram now knows that I advocate living on ฿10 000.- a month and a few 'nice girls' are annoyed with me.... my wife was nagged as was her daughter who went to market this morning.

how the hell this misinterpreted rumour got out so quick I can't imagine.

Next time I'll be saying sure, ฿5000.- is plenty, that'll stir things up.

• Like 1

Foreigners can live cheaper than thais that have been exposed to the nightlife industry.

Reason being farang come to Thailand to relax and forget about material things, while Thais are being greedier and greedier.

Life is life Jim but not as we know it.

Tell me about it - endless trips to beauty salons, new mobile phone models at least annually, new covers for mobile phone every couple of months, beers freely available for whole family and friends, hello kitty cr@p for adorning house and car. The list goes on - what kind of spending monster did I unleash in this region of rural poverty :-)

Edit: nil savings of course, which is why she had an allowance in the first place.

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

Foreigners can live cheaper than thais that have been exposed to the nightlife industry.

Reason being farang come to Thailand to relax and forget about material things, while Thais are being greedier and greedier.

Tell me about it - endless trips to beauty salons, new mobile phone models at least annually, new covers for mobile phone every couple of months, beers freely available for whole family and friends, hello kitty cr@p for adorning house and car. The list goes on - what kind of spending monster did I unleash in this region of rural poverty :-)

Edit: nil savings of course, which is why she had an allowance in the first place.

Yep, I said it before and I say it again: A Farang and his Thai-Wife could live a life in peace and harmomy in Thailand if it wasen't for the "family". The tragedy of it all is, that if the Thai-Wife makes an effort to distance her from the "Family-Leaches" and other "freeloaders", she faces the usual "Loss of Face" and will be subjectet to comments like "you picked the wrong farang", see what the other farang in the next village can spend on "the Family" !

The "Family-Game" usually comes to an abrubt end as soon as the farangs financial resources are exhausted.

Why am I rambling about this ? I have been in and out of Thailand for the last 15 years and had the opportunity to follow-up on no less than 12 Farang-Thai Marriages. Of the 12 only 2 are still intact !!

Why ? See above ! Who wins, who loses in a situation like this ? The property and ownership rights in Thailand give a clear answer.

Posts like this will not add to the list of friends that one can have among farang-friends in Thailand. (My wife and my family are are different, etc,etc,etc)

So be it. Cheers.

• Like 2

You "could" live for 5000 a month, but I'd say budget for 10k, as 5k would be living a little bit too basic.

Really good idea to live out here while you're writing I'd say, as you'll remove a lot of distractions and save on your cost of living at the same time.

Anywho, good luck with it.

• Like 2

Yep, I said it before and I say it again: A Farang and his Thai-Wife could live a life in peace and harmomy in Thailand if it wasen't for the "family". The tragedy of it all is, that if the Thai-Wife makes an effort to distance her from the "Family-Leaches" and other "freeloaders", she faces the usual "Loss of Face" and will be subjectet to comments like "you picked the wrong farang", see what the other farang in the next village can spend on "the Family" !

The "Family-Game" usually comes to an abrubt end as soon as the farangs financial resources are exhausted.

Why am I rambling about this ? I have been in and out of Thailand for the last 15 years and had the opportunity to follow-up on no less than 12 Farang-Thai Marriages. Of the 12 only 2 are still intact !!

Why ? See above ! Who wins, who loses in a situation like this ? The property and ownership rights in Thailand give a clear answer.

Posts like this will not add to the list of friends that one can have among farang-friends in Thailand. (My wife and my family are are different, etc,etc,etc)

So be it. Cheers.

Some huge logic jumps/disconnects here Swissie, but I wont divert the thread even further off topic. Sorry for doing that OP.

This is exactly why Thailand has strict immigration laws. Men wanting to live here on the cheap and give nothing back. Obviously your freelance writing doesn't pay well so why not stay where you are and get a real job. Thailand doesn't need more freeloaders.

Hey, MoroseAussie, that's one of the meanest, cruelest, heartless, calloused replies I think I've ever seen on Thai Visa (in 10 years). You're making a lot of unfounded assumptions to support your ignorant, mean-spirited post. Or just maybe you're off your meds? (Yes, another unfounded assumption, sorry.).

1. Maybe the OP is a beginning freelancer. Everyone has to start somewhere.

2. Coming as a short-termer, who's to say he might actually like living here, and stay and therefore start "giving back." I and many of my western friends fall into this category.

3. Thailand's immigration laws leave a wider "market" than you may think or wish. Just look at the farangs around you.

I agree with other posters that 5,000-7,000 is a reasonable amount to live on. In Isaan, I pay 2,500B for a spacious apartment, 760B/month for internet, and about 3,000/B for 3 meals a day (100B/day). Sure, it's do-able. Go for it!

Here here -- some useful, genuine answers to a genuine enquiry spoilt by a few inaccurate, scurrilous comments.

• Like 1

This is exactly why Thailand has strict immigration laws. Men wanting to live here on the cheap and give nothing back. Obviously your freelance writing doesn't pay well so why not stay where you are and get a real job. Thailand doesn't need more freeloaders.

What strict Immigration Laws Thailand have? Thailand doors are open for everyone.

When I was 22 years old I was also doing a lot of freelance work and hardly hit more then 20,000 Baht a month. Now after 20 years plus I am paying over 40,000 Baht in taxes every month for my freelance work. 3 weeks Isaan and 1 week Bangkok.

To the OP: Come over here and give it a try.

Edited by MobileContent
  • Like 2

I make around $3000 per month. Like I said, I just want to live cheap until I have saved up a good emergency fund, maybe about $3000. I'd just like to move straight away rather than stay at home for another month.

After the money is saved I'll be contributing a lot to society. I don't want to live frugaly forever :)

• Like 1

Take no notice of "happyaussie" he don't sound very happy to me after all it's not like your going to sign on to the dole or anything

I live very comfortable on 500 bt per day in the countryside

You flash git you!! tongue.png

• Like 1

Hey, MoroseAussie, that's one of the meanest, cruelest, heartless, calloused replies I think I've ever seen on Thai Visa (in 10 years). You're making a lot of unfounded assumptions to support your ignorant, mean-spirited post. Or just maybe you're off your meds? (Yes, another unfounded assumption, sorry.).

1. Maybe the OP is a beginning freelancer. Everyone has to start somewhere.

2. Coming as a short-termer, who's to say he might actually like living here, and stay and therefore start "giving back." I and many of my western friends fall into this category.

3. Thailand's immigration laws leave a wider "market" than you may think or wish. Just look at the farangs around you.

I agree with other posters that 5,000-7,000 is a reasonable amount to live on. In Isaan, I pay 2,500B for a spacious apartment, 760B/month for internet, and about 3,000/B for 3 meals a day (100B/day). Sure, it's do-able. Go for it!

Oh get a life will you. Maybe I was a little strong, apologies to all. But I stand by the premise of my comment. Why do you think Thailand introduced limitations to tourist visa extensions.....too cull out those who want to live here with hardly two bob to rub together. Who don't work and who's only contribution is the tax they pay on their bottles of Leo. It's as simple as that.

All credit to those of you who live on the amounts you've quoted. Nothing wrong with that.

I think 1000bht per day minimum if living in the country. I split my time between country and Phuket. When in Phuket more like 2000bht per day.