How Much To Live In Isaan Really Cheap?

finy

Can't see your point at all what ever this guy spends he's not free loading he's liveing in Thailand on his own money not like the countless thousands of Asians living off the state in the U K at the moment

So bloody true!!

If the OP wants to live in a smaller town, without some of the bigger cities attractions. He can find some very cheap accommodation. Sidewalk food is cheap if he can eat it day in day out. No reason why he can not live on 10,000 Baht a month and still have a life. A few beers one or twice a week and if he is a handsome man, a girl here and there.

As he says he is not building a life in Issan, just coming to stay a few months to start.

Sure there are some posters on the farming forum who would give him a free place to live near their fish, rubber, duck and chicken farms , judging by the local roaming, eat what is not watched Thais. Jim

I think 1000bht per day minimum if living in the country.

I nor any of my farang friends could spend that much a day in the country, no matter how hard we tried! Are you having your meals catered to your home? Are you driving a HumVee? Do you have eight A/C units running full-blast 24/7 in your palace? <deleted>??? blink.png

Try running a car, 2 kids in school, cable tv, electricity, food, a few beers and incidentals.

I nor any of my farang friends could spend that much a day in the country, no matter how hard we tried! Are you having your meals catered to your home? Are you driving a HumVee? Do you have eight A/C units running full-blast 24/7 in your palace? <deleted>??? blink.png

Try running a car, 2 kids in school, cable tv, electricity, food, a few beers and incidentals.

Same same, car, 2 kids, long drive to there school, plus western needs. It all adds up, but the OP is single and just wants to live, not build a life.

To be honest think it costs as much here as when we lived in OZ, but we have a much better life style. Weekends away, bigger car, bigger house, bigger beer bill. Jim

• Like 1

I have a friend here who lives on 13,000 baht per month. He lives alone with his dog. He doesn't have a car or truck, just a motorbike. He doesn't pay any rent but he does smoke and manages to have a few beers nearly every day. To say that he struggles is putting it mildly. Without the beer and cigarettes, he would get no enjoyment out of life.

Edited by Gary A

Try looking in Nong Khai. You can get a single room with shared bathroom, free wifi in the courtyard in a fantastic guest house along the river for 150฿/night, food at around 200฿/day, a few beers a month 1,000฿/month and you are still looking at less than 10,000 all the while having fun.

Same same, car, 2 kids, long drive to there school, plus western needs. It all adds up, but the OP is single and just wants to live, not build a life.

To be honest think it costs as much here as when we lived in OZ, but we have a much better life style. Weekends away, bigger car, bigger house, bigger beer bill. Jim

Run a car, 2 motorbikes, 4 bed house, one kid at school,beers and stuff, but no cable TV. Very doable on 20000 a month.

Not sure what, "western needs", refers to.

Have a Honda Jazz (making payments), Nissan Urvan 10 Pax van (paid for), Mitsubishi Triton (paid for), 2 motorbikes (paid for), Wife, 1 x 10 year old child in school, parents, 1 brother and girlfriend in a 5 bedroom house with AC and live on my wifes 20,000฿ / month wage that includes food and utilities with a few baht left over for an evening out at least once a week and the usual clatter of stuff one accumulates through out the month.

So it sure is possible to have a comfortable life here on an income of this level.

I do not drink so maybe that is the big difference.

Have a Honda Jazz (making payments), Nissan Urvan 10 Pax van (paid for), Mitsubishi Triton (paid for), 2 motorbikes (paid for), Wife, 1 x 10 year old child in school, parents, 1 brother and girlfriend in a 5 bedroom house with AC and live on my wifes 20,000฿ / month wage that includes food and utilities with a few baht left over for an evening out at least once a week and the usual clatter of stuff one accumulates through out the month.

So it sure is possible to have a comfortable life here on an income of this level.

I get surprises every day in Thailand but your contribution to this article is nothing short of AMAZING.

Surely the tax/insurance alone on your fleet of vehicles must be 100,000/annum ......

hard to believe u do it on 20k ....gasoline? elect?car repayment?insurance and rego?, health cover?. school fees ? , clothes. house maint and repairs , vehicle maint , i would say 50k minimum

I'm doing that on less than 10k, only 1 kid in highschool, but a pickup and 2 m/cs.

• Like 1

hard to believe u do it on 20k ....gasoline? elect?car repayment?insurance and rego?, health cover?. school fees ? , clothes. house maint and repairs , vehicle maint , i would say 50k minimum

And you would be wrong.

Just food alone for 5 people cooking at home costs at least 15K a month. Myself, wife, our 10 mo. old baby girl and 2 others in the house. I don't try for a budget. But, if you want the good vegetables, fruits, melons as I like. Shrimp and squid almost daily if not twice a day. A little here a little there. Can't cook dinner without 3 trips up to the small market for something. Maybe a few beers about that time. A trip to tesco - a few pair of shoes, few clothes for the baby, Some cleaning supplies and food. A bottle of blend with coke and soda some evenings always turns into a second bottle. And if not careful that turns into a night at twan dang.

Can't imagine trying to be so conservative with the money. No maid, no gardner, no nanny, no western style food & nothing outrageous. But, still the money flows.

And you would be wrong.

so tell us how much then to live a comfortable life in isaan .........

...going way off topic, I think the OP has he answers he was looking for. I am expecting at any moment someone to say he must have ฿100 000 a month, forgetting to say that he lives in Bangkok, has two kids at the International School, a car and a maid, never eats Thai food and only shops in the Mall.

• Like 1

Try looking in Nong Khai. You can get a single room with shared bathroom, free wifi in the courtyard in a fantastic guest house along the river for 150฿/night, food at around 200฿/day, a few beers a month 1,000฿/month and you are still looking at less than 10,000 all the while having fun.

less than 10,000bht all the while having fun what about some nooki or do you self satisfywub.png

I just assumed he was like the rest of us, skilled enough to get it for free. And that is from the tourists, let alone the locals. There is nothing finer than a lonely French Girl backpacking around Thailand.........like softened butter.

Who paid for the cars and house, or did you manage to buy them out of the 20 grand a month.

Just got a new set of tires for the SUV 22,000 Baht and had to buy another fridge/freezer [big ]60,000. Under your system there goes 8 months of money.

Living cost are not the pocket money spending, but the cost of living.

Add up how much you have in fact spent then divide by the number of years you have been here, think it will come out a bit over 20,000 Baht a month. Jim

Jim, I have been living here for five years and spent a total of 133,000฿ (yes Baht) which works out to 2,200฿ (yes Baht) per month. My wife owns her own house and land, vehicle, etc. When we need new items (we buy used if possible) then we budget plan and save. Our total monthly income is just over 21,000฿ (yes Baht) and can afford all the luxuries we need.

Then again I have gone Native as you say and do not need a freezer etc. Have our Thai cooking pot, buy fresh everyday at the market, three dogs so there is no left over food at the end of the day.

Of course we do have help from the family as they pay rent, half the electrical and water bills and food bills. So yes my day to day expenses are certainly lower than the average.

I just assumed he was like the rest of us, skilled enough to get it for free. And that is from the tourists, let alone the locals. There is nothing finer than a lonely French Girl backpacking around Thailand.........like softened butter.

So screwing lonely tourists is ethically purer than paying a working girl? [Ref to your postings in another thread where you seemed to be promoting what I (possibly wrongly interpreted as) a holier than thou attitude].

Both driven from the same intent I think.

I'll stop commenting on your posts now I think - don't want to become an internet stalker :-)

Thank you. I appreciate your well wishes. i am sorry you will not partake in any of my future insights of Thailand. I think you will find my tales very informative.

My point actually took a side ways turn half way. I really meant to say to this traveler, as was one of his points (I think), to be looking for a little fun with the ladies. In my work at a GH this usually means they are looking to hook up. Most of the times it is some old fart who cannot get looked at twice in his home country and has to pay for it. No problem, each to their own. But this seemed to be a person from a recent generation who I assumed would be able to talk with and perhaps be entertained by someone of similar interests, music, language, culture etc. without having to pay for anything. As he seemed to have a tight budget.

So if that is the case looking for a like minded traveler who are alone for long periods of time who would not look once (let alone twice, see above paragraph) at most of the expat community members who live in and around the area I do. It would be welcome change for these ladies or men (french travelers as mentioned but one of many nationalities) as well to share a little company with somebody who does not need Dr. fix me UP to help them. And possibly looks a little nicer as well. You know. None of the wrinkly chicken skin so many of you have. Nothing makes the ladies at the local here shudder more then when I come walking in with one of our guests looking for a night out. Oh the stories these ladies tell. However have been sworn to secrecy as it might spoil the illusion.

As for the holier than thou (depends on who "thou" is) attitude, in my marriage absolutely. When I was a single lad, not so. But even as moderately ugly person never had to as you say "pay" (i assume you meant financially) for it.

I live fairly cheaply in Ubon, but am still comfortable enough and I wouldn't want to do it on less than 15,000 a month. If you don't drink you could maybe do it on 12,500. You really have to tighten your belt to go below that.

These are my unavoidable costs -

Rent + internet + bills = 6000 With a fair amount of searching and willingness to compromise on what you accept you could get it cheaper, but as a new arrival who doesn't know the area well, probably not.

Food = 6000 You could manage on less but you might not find it comfortable to do so.

Visa costs + cost of visa runs = 2000 a month Realistically as cheap as you can do it if you are on a tourist visa.

You wouldn't be living much of a life if you reduced your costs just down to the essentials though. For me to live a life in which I am doing all the activities that I want to do costs closer to 30000 a month really.