I Want To Live In Hua Hin

MRGTINGTONG

Hello fellow tv members

im from uk, 52 with thai wife.

want to sell my home and move to thailand with about 60k=3 MILLION BHT

and with monthly income of approx £600 from uk rented property.

Will maybe rent at first between 5000 to 10,000 bht per month or maybe buy condo 2.5 million.

Will look at starting some business for the wife to run but not straight away but this should help with income/living costs.

Sitting at home trying to do my figures, how much will it cost to live a simple life, can i afford it etc is causing me a real

headache.

Ive seen many farang my age and younger living there and just wondered how they manage to do it.

Im desperate to leave this miserable place and live in thailand, life is too short and all that but also im very causious and

would hate to have financial problems.

Any advice from people with experience, please advise and guide me,

cheers for now.

Related links:

Hua Hin: http://huahin.thaivisa.com

Chiang Mai: http://chiangmai.thaivisa.com

Cha-am: http://cha-am.thaivisa.com

Koh Samui: http://samui.thaivisa.com

Phuket: http://phuket.thaivisa.com

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our household budget in Hua HIn (3 people, two dogs, with large house, large garden and two cars to maintain) is three times the amount you're talking about and that's no golf, no travel (except the occasional trip to Bangkok) and we only go out to eat a couple of times a week at restaurants where you can eat and have a beer for around 200 baht per person. We own the house and cars so we don't have any bills other than normal living expenses, i.e., full time gardener, internet, telephone, Truevisions and cable TV, electric, water, insurance, pest control, yearly visa fees, monthly maintenance medications and occasional medical bills. It takes between 80 and 90k baht just for those things. I realize that you may not need or want many of those things, but be warned the cost of living in Hua Hin took me by surprise. I think that along with Phuket, Bangkok, and Samui it is in the top four most expensive places to live in Thailand.

Because my income is just a fraction more than that, I had to give up golf and have not been able to travel outside Thailand since 2005. Plan your budget carefully.

Having said all that, I know single guys, even a couple or two who do live on 30k here, but they rent a dump in a Thai neighborhood, have no personal transportation other than maybe a bicycle, and eat and drink at home.

• Like 2

I would say for two persons, starting from scratch you will need a minimum of 60000Baht per month to live here in Hua Hin and even at that, that would be a pretty frugal life style.

I don't know how long it took you too put the 60K GBP together, but I would recommend that you keep on working and saving until you at least double that.

At your age there is every likelyhood that you will live another 25/30 years, so time is on your side.

• Like 2

Realy sorry to burst your bubble but u aint got enough mate.The 60k should be for the future and 30k a month is no wheere near enough unless your missus can get a job earning 15k + a month,then u have half a chamnce.Huan Hn isnt that cheap,i live in Pattaya for nearly 9 years and i couldnt live on your money

• Like 1

First off you will need to keep £5 thou back never to spend ever just for your visa, and you will need the rest of your monies for fall back just in case, look's like you will have to go down the rent road. If you look at Iaowai post he's state's 34thou bt a month I happen to think that's well on the tight side and that's for 1 person you can stick another 50 to 70% on top that as there are two of you. One being female and he hasn't taken into account what they need just on their personal bit's. I have lived in Pattaya and Hua Hin but that was well over 6 year's ago and I needed over £1000 a month then and I'm not talking about living the high life.

I now live Mid Thailand have own house, car, paid for so all I need is running monies. Food, insurance, electric, + the odd trip out to a restaurant, this place is about 25% cheaper than Pat's Or H/Hin and I still need at least 40 thou bt a month minimum, and that doesn't include holiday's. Gone are the day's when Thailand used to be cheap some bit's still are but other's are dearer than the UK.

Tip come on a holiday for two week's don't include your hotel travel monies look at the price's of thing's milk tea bag's English food and how much you will have to pay for rent electric +++ and see how far your 30 thou bt go's. I know you will have a shock.

Sorry to say it but like other have stated you don't have enough monies.

N/B by the way your £600 a month equate's to less that 29 Thou bt so your on a looser before you start.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

stay in the UK and come over on Holidays..if you dont you will blow all your money, most probably have many arguments with the wife get divorced..then return to the UK with no money or home ..only the rented property which could be part of the divorce settlement

As many have previously said you need serious money to live the good life here... for me 100,000 baht on average that includes rent and running my owned car and 2 motorbikes

• Like 2

You can surely live in Thailand, the problem is however that it is a bad idea to setup a business for your wife without having a really good plan. 3 million will be gone in months. If you are on a budget stay on a budget. Most foreigners fall for the flickering lights and the entertainment, than is your money gone in no time.

• Like 2

Hello Mr G.Tingtong - I hope you realise that your name means 'nuts' in Thai! - there is a lot of good advice given you in the replies to your query and I won't repeat it all. I have lived in Thailand in Bangkoka and Hua Hin for over 15 years and, setting aside Bangkok, ten years ago it used to cost me 55,000 Baht a month to live and the Baht was about 70/£, today I live in the same place (my own house) and it costs me about 80,000 Baht a month and the Baht is 48/£. The maths is not difficult; you are short of a bob or three!. Assuming you are going to come here and apply for a Retirement Visa you will also need to show either an income of 60,000 Baht a month or a deposit in the Bank of 800,000 Baht, which needs to be there at least 3 months before you apply. That figure is halved if you apply for a marriage visa (you have a Thai wife), but there are other snags to this one. Either way, you are going to find it difficult on the figures you gave. Bear in mind also that the UK tax man will still be after you if you continue to receive rental income from a property in the UK. Tthe best advice given was to come over here for a while and look at the lie of the land.

• Like 2

In some ways I do agree with some of the statements mentioned here.

I live in Pattaya now 9 years en spend about 40-45k baht per month. That is including ALL, my nice little 2 bedroom house. incl. elec/water/tv/internet is included in that amount and is about 17-18 per month.

I do not know HH.

More realistic would be ask yourself is the Pound 600 income 100% garanteed?

Is your wife also will to live the simple thai lifestyle. Will she cook (lot cheaper)?

Since you want your wife to have a small business, yes I advice a townhouse, with 1-2 stories above where you guys can sleep.

Depending on location, choose to open a business that is needed in the area and your wife like and can do.

eg. A nice thai style restaurant, clean so farangs also come, can give a nice daily income and food/drinks are always available for you and your wife.

These are just some thoughts I have on it, but honestly you provide too little info about your wants/ needs/plans and your wifes same wants/needs/plans.

To answer your question YES it is possible, with a risk, you will need to plan ahead and think very carefully about spending the money. You can only do it once.

You idea of buying a condo 2.5M is a bad idea.

Just my opinion, PM me if you want/need for personal chat/help/advice.

• Like 2

I live on Samui which is the most expensive place in Thailand I own my own property and vehicles and I refuse to pay Bupa prices have a very good government hospital with very reasonable cost if I am ill that is where I go private patient room on the beach costs 1,000/1,200 bht per night on top of that have accident insurance with bank so if I stumble and break my nose I am well covered also have good cover on my vehicles. I am retired show income to immigration of 65,000 bht per month however we live okay on 30/35,000 per month all included any holidays excluded I do not smoke, drink or go with bar girls my other half has a btl of Uncle Tom vodka & Uncle Tom gin each month and we eat out a couple of times a week nothing elaborate but good quality. If I rented I would have to put another 15/20,000 on my budget . best you rent for the 1st 2 years see how you go but think due to you having to rent £600 might be a little tight but if you do not try it you will regret it so go for it stick your savings in an Isa that pays you out a reasonable return you would then have 600 + per month GOOD LUCK !!!!

• Like 2

I have been here nearly five years, I have a beautiful house a little land and some dogs as well as the wife, on the figures you quote I am sorry it will after the short term just be a disaster

Do you want to live or exist, to exist yes it can be cheap but I need to live quietly and not worry

you really need around 80,000 pm plus money to eventually buy a house, and a reserve in case of bad medical or some other problem

thailand is not cheap but I could not live anything like as well on the same money in the UK

Hello Mr G.Tingtong - I hope you realise that your name means 'nuts' in Thai! - there is a lot of good advice given you in the replies to your query and I won't repeat it all. I have lived in Thailand in Bangkoka and Hua Hin for over 15 years and, setting aside Bangkok, ten years ago it used to cost me 55,000 Baht a month to live and the Baht was about 70/£, today I live in the same place (my own house) and it costs me about 80,000 Baht a month and the Baht is 48/£. The maths is not difficult; you are short of a bob or three!. Assuming you are going to come here and apply for a Retirement Visa you will also need to show either an income of 60,000 Baht a month or a deposit in the Bank of 800,000 Baht, which needs to be there at least 3 months before you apply. That figure is halved if you apply for a marriage visa (you have a Thai wife), but there are other snags to this one. Either way, you are going to find it difficult on the figures you gave. Bear in mind also that the UK tax man will still be after you if you continue to receive rental income from a property in the UK. Tthe best advice given was to come over here for a while and look at the lie of the land.

65,000 baht is what is required per month and not 60,000

Personally I lived in Phuket with my friend on a budget of 36K/month. We didn't had a broad life. We ate local food, drove by bike and went out to party once a month. We had to watch our expences a lot, but it was certainly livable. Of course, if you want to live as HHfarang does ... you need more money. but if you want to live a simple life, 30K should be OK. If your wife is going to do a job on the side, even better.

Note: We also rented our appartment, so if you plan on buying something you don't need to think about the rent.

I would certainly go for it if I were in your position.

• Like 1

"want to sell my home and move to thailand with about 60k=3 MILLION BHT

and with monthly income of approx £600 from uk rented property."

Consider renting your own home in the UK to add to your monthly rental income. Or sell it and buy another property in the UK for renting. This will increase your monthly income and give you a chance to try living in Thailand without losing you assets in the UK. If it does not work out you have the option to return to the UK.

All the advice I have ever read about living in Thailand suggests renting in the area you would like to settle in before you buy.

Best o f luck,

• Like 2

So it sounds like it really depends on where you live. I live in a village in the Nakhon Phanom area of NW Isaan. I built an American style house for 700K Baht, and we are making payments on a car of 10K per month. The car is our only debt, plus we have all the regular expenses of True Vision, Internet, electric and water which amounts to about 3K per month. We live well on 30K a month. We make weekly trips to Nakhon Phanom for eating out and entertainment (such as there is), I play golf every other Friday, and go drinking with the other farrang in the area twice a week. With my monthly pension of 60K, we are able to put half into savings for trips around Thailand every few months.

I didn't see where anyone was including the cost of taking care of the wife's family in the budget. So, in case your wife has not said anything about that, plan on additional expenses to take care of at least her parents and any unemployed or under-employed siblings, nieces, nephews, etc.

It sounds like you should consider staying in the UK, or living in a different area of Thailand.

Good luck

• Like 2

One thing you need to consider is buying a car/truck, this will cost a lot in comparison to everything else. We have been trying to live on a £1,000 per month and struggle as our truck repayments are £250+ a month. I bought a house 5 years ago when the exchange rate was 70, it is now 48, so glad I bought then.

I also do a little for the wife's family which comes out of our budget, but we get through around £15,000 a year from my UK property. I don't know why this is as I know others who live on much less.

I recently bought a Honda Phanton and that saves me money.

We have 2 kids, insurrances,, decent car, Bike and 2 floor newlybuild Townhouse north of 40km Pattaya,

we even have bought a condo, to rent out later.

out monthly is less then 22.000 pr month + food though.

But we eat thaifood, Farang food i cook my self. we dont use aircon and so on.

It is not impossible to live cheap if you dont get cheated into a high/expensive living standard.

jack

For a single person:-

Rented fully-furnished studio condo in Hua Hin Soi 7 8,500

Electricity (averaged over a year) 2,000

Internet and mobile phone usage 1,000

Monthly laundry package 600

Groceries and household consumables, including food for make-your-own breakfast and lunch 8,000

Dine-out evening meals 9,000

M/cycle maintenance, rego and insurance 300

M/cycle fuel 800

BUPA sickness and accident insurance (Thailand only cover) 1,300

Monthly allowance for clothes bits and pieces 2,500

Total 34,000

Without rent (own the condo) but with a (less than) monthly condo fee of 1,000 = 26,500

WOW electric 2000 per month my electric average is 2,800 per month and I live in a 500 sq mtr 4 bed villa with 10x4x2 swimming pool are you paying more than the government elctric tarrif which is about 3.75 per unit !!!!!

Why pick one of the most expensive places in Thailand to live??

I would always rent, outside the cities there are always properties available for between 4,000 and 8,000 baht per month.

Keep 50k in the bank, interest will give you about 5000baht per month. £600 a month = 29000baht

Total income about 34000 per month.

If you eat local food in village cost will be about 9000 per month.

1 or 2 Scooters? Basic scooter cost around 50K if you buy secondhand you will only get 30/30 warrenty, thats 30 feet or 30 minutes.

Electric, gas and water 1500baht a month unless you use Air then add 1000baht a month.

So it can be done on your income but basic living.

Downside you will not get a full UK pension.

WOW electric 2000 per month my electric average is 2,800 per month and I live in a 500 sq mtr 4 bed villa with 10x4x2 swimming pool are you paying more than the government elctric tarrif which is about 3.75 per unit !!!!!

Remove the magnet from the meter tongue.png

• Like 1

If you wish to live here your first priority would be to secure an extension to stay ,in your case based on your marriage to a Thai National. This would require you to have 400,000Bht In a Thai bank or 40,000Bht monthly income certified by the British Embassy.( A combination of money in the Bank + a monthly income amounting to a total of 400,000pa is also allowable)

Your monthly income amounts to some 28800 Bht/month which if you rent a property would leave very little to cover day to day expense. Once you start living of Capital you are in my opinion on a slippery slope!

You may be able to make it by living in a rural location but that is not a lifestyle which suits everyone.

Why not treat yourselves to a Thai holiday and do some "on site" research?

Best wishes

Will look at starting some business for the wife to run but not straight away but this should help with income/living costs.

Just keep in mind that 20% of business gain money, 30% even and 50% loses money everyday

Find a great idea, place, staff and be ready to work more than you did in UK

Well I don't want to be cynical, but I have to say this for your own benefit.

Your biggest 'challenge' to your finances may end up coming form your wife.

Now I don't want to be judgemental, but, you wouldn't be the first farang to ever be 'taken for a ride' by a Tahi bride !

So my advise is this PLAN, BUDGET and most importantly, RETAIN ABSOLUTE CONTROL of your finances.

Regardless of how much you love your wife, and she loves you, try and plan for the event that the worst or unthinkable may happen.

WORSE CASE EXAMPLES of teh dream going wrong :-

Your wife gets run over by a bus and is killed.

You may get hurt or injured or become sick and need medical care.

You buy a house or start a business in your wife's name and then things to go wrong between you.

You open a joint bank account and suddenly your saving all go as your wife's relatives all get sick etc....

Your wife turns out to be already married and has a Thai family back home.

You could start off very well, but, slowly the dream starts to slip away, at about the same pace as your savings.........

So budgeting, planning, strategy, self disipline and prudence are the KEY TO SURVIVAL and HAPPINESS.

I don't want to send the wrong message, and I hope you and your wife live very happily in Thailand, but please, please talk to some of the guys over there who have had a 'Thai wife experience'.

You are right to be cautious, YOU ONLY GET TO SPEND YOUR LIFE AND YOUR MONEY ONCE.

Make sure that WHATEVER happens, you retain and keep control of your money, your wealth and you NEVER lose your grip or control over that.

Good Luck !!

• Like 2