I Want To Live In Hua Hin

MRGTINGTONG

Forget Thai Bupa medical coverage it isn't worth it. Get that sorted with Bupa before you come. Thai Bupa covers for quite little and medical insurance should cover you for a time when something serious is needed. Ive had two knee ops here and they cost 500k each. Someone else I know of had a motorbike accident losing part of their foot and the hospital bill ran into several million and didn't have coverage. Ouch! I think the best Thai Bupa offered i was offered in thai was up to a maximum of around 250k.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

normal living expenses, i.e., full time gardener

smile.png

One must, when living normally, have a full-time gardener....oh, and a Chauffeur of course...oh and a cook,also a cleaner.then there's the manucurist/masseus, the fitness trainer,handyman.......life coach,financial pl.......coffee1.gif

You forgot the shower girl. I live pretty good on 35 - 45k a month in BKK. I plan to move up or down country soon and probably live in on less. No wife, but plenty of giks. I eat like a thai, go to a cheap gym, have my own scooter and take a trip once a month.

• Like 1

For a single person:-

Rented fully-furnished studio condo in Hua Hin Soi 7 8,500

Electricity (averaged over a year) 2,000

Internet and mobile phone usage 1,000

Monthly laundry package 600

Groceries and household consumables, including food for make-your-own breakfast and lunch 8,000

Dine-out evening meals 9,000

M/cycle maintenance, rego and insurance 300

M/cycle fuel 800

BUPA sickness and accident insurance (Thailand only cover) 1,300

Monthly allowance for clothes bits and pieces 2,500

Total 34,000

Without rent (own the condo) but with a (less than) monthly condo fee of 1,000 = 26,500

That's a condo of 32 sqm. I presume? Rougly the size of my balcony!

I agree with another poster that on 52 he's too young to just retire already and move to this country.

And he should work a few more years and save as much as he can or choose a cheaper place to live, like Chiangmai for example.

Nice to read "I own my own house"... "have my own property". May I remind you that nothing is owned by foreign nationals? A small thing but I don't know why foreigners always say this, instead of "my Thai wife or spouse have everything on her on his name". In Thailand nothing is yours as foreigner and even you live here (just like me) more then 15 years, you will be always that foreigner, rich and a walking ATM-machine smile.png

We bought a house on my wifes name, but that's it, because my wife still works in Thailand, so that keeps us here for the time being, till my wife goes with pension in 6 years from now. I love Asia, so we bought a real big estate (on both names, as it should be) in a neighbour country where foreigners are entitled to have property and be a member of the society and where ... also important all speak English. I can speak and understand Thai but it's also sometimes nice to hear English, which is far to find in the Thai society. Beware also about that, because in the beginning you feel yourself very lonely because not understanding the language and can not express your self.

30K to live is nothing in Thailand per month and the 3 million you should keep for the future, because lots can happen in a for you new country. I don't know how your pensionfund is at the moment, but my pension payments will start in 5 years from now, so we live at the moment on the income of my wife and my investmentsfunds that's together around 100k per month. That's more then enough for 2 persons and we still don't spend all the money per month. As said 30K is less when you need to pay all the bills. When your wife is willing to work in Thailand then you have at least some more income. Don't forget also the visa's every year. Time-wasting and only extra government income to strip again foreigners. Neighbour countries gives at once 5 years visa's.

Well good luck.

Edited by Geratul
  • Like 2

Nice to read "I own my own house"... "have my own property". May I remind you that nothing is owned by foreign nationals? A small thing but I don't know why foreigners always say this, instead of "my Thai wife or spouse have everything on her on his name". In Thailand nothing is yours as foreigner and even you live here (just like me) more then 15 years, you will be always that foreigner, rich and a walking ATM-machine smile.png

We bought a house on my wifes name, but that's it, because my wife still works in Thailand, so that keeps us here for the time being, till my wife goes with pension in 6 years from now. I love Asia, so we bought a real big estate (on both names, as it should be) in a neighbour country where foreigners are entitled to have property and be a member of the society and where ... also important all speak English. I can speak and understand Thai but it's also sometimes nice to hear English, which is far to find in the Thai society. Beware also about that, because in the beginning you feel yourself very lonely because not understanding the language and can not express your self.

30K to live is nothing in Thailand per month and the 3 million you should keep for the future, because lots can happen in a for you new country. I don't know how your pensionfund is at the moment, but my pension payments will start in 5 years from now, so we live at the moment on the income of my wife and my investmentsfunds that's together around 100k per month. That's more then enough for 2 persons and we still don't spend all the money per month. As said 30K is less when you need to pay all the bills. When your wife is willing to work in Thailand then you have at least some more income. Don't forget also the visa's every year. Time-wasting and only extra government income to strip again foreigners. Neighbour countries gives at once 5 years visa's.

Well good luck.

I own three bikes and 2 cars.......well it has my name on the blue and green books.....

I enjoy reading all these reply's. My advise is u got 2 options. #1 come out for a 30-60 day holiday. 2 things will happen you will go home broke and probably in love with a new Thai lady. One that is younger and that will treat you better. Or 2 get back to work and start scratching lottery tickets mate. Lol at some of these guys telling you can make it on 30k-40k a month. Thailand is called the land of smiles and on a budget of that there's no way there smiling. Sure you wanna eat sticky rice and a piece of broccoli in some soup broth everyday for 20 baht 3 times a day. Live in a room were your toilet has the shower nozzle on top of it with no air con in some village off the beaten path. Yes buddy these guys aint living in Hua Hin or BKK or Pattaya or Phuket. There living in villages in 3rd world settings which is cool and all if thats what u like.

I been in Thailand 7 years now, lived Samui , BKK and Pattaya and in the last 3 years this country has gotten more expensive weaker Euro,Pound and dollar and a stronger Baht. You find a apartment in Bkk for under 15k today and its basically unlivable. Come on down to pattaya and lets go out for a night out, and yes i like to shag bar girls, minimum it's going to cost you 5-6k with dinner and guess what your going to have so much freaking fun that your going to want to do it again and again.

I'm on a 1 year visa which means I leave the country every 90 days, lol what you think that costs. I play golf why, because Thailand has some of the most beautiful courses in the world, I try to play every Sunday caddie tip balls green fees lunch there goes another 3k. Dinner out once a week decent bottle of wine for 2 there goes another 3k and keeps adding up. So yes if you wanna live in a shack with no aircon and eat soup in 100 degree weather everyday then come on down and all of you who say spending over 80k month is stupid then all I can say is at least I'm smiling ear to ear mate

• Like 2

You can live as cheaply or as extravagantly as your wife will allow. That said, you can live well for not a lot of money. I live in a rented, furnished 3br, 3ba townhouse in the south of Bangkok. My monthlies are:

Rent 15,000

Electric 5,500 (I love my air con)

Mobile X2 5,000

UBC/True 2,155

TOT (I-net) 600

Water 200

Security 250

Car bin 18,700 (but I pay double + at 40K) Buying a new car here ain't cheap nor easy. If you do not have a job here and a work permit it is tough to get financed but not impossible. Our new car cost us B1.2 Million and had to put 30% down. First class insurance will be a cost also and you really need it here.

I have zero credit card debt and all my assets are here in Thailand save 2 U.S. bank accounts. All this plus food and we eat Thai food and the missus cooks too. Falang food I can cook or go buy it. We live well and you can too. You just need to decide what you are willing live with and without. Your wife will certainly want an amount of things for "FACE" but you need to know where to draw her line and say no more.

There was some sage advice also about a reserve just for you. You need a fair amount for visas on an annual basis plus you need to keep a reserve in case things do indeed go south with the marriage. You don't want to get caught with needing to move back home and have no bucks, and no home. Have a fall back plan.

Good luck to you.

Well good luck.

Agree with the owning bit and the ATM comments, it's just habit saying "I have" Would like to know what the other country is you are talking about. I may be interested.

Hi I have lived here for 8 years .I came with a little more than you but not much ,but then the thai bat was 73/£. wih the help of some friend advice I bought a house from a bank reposetion >1m. I have a thai wife so no problem with land ownership. I have put in a deap water well. and built a small swimming pool. I bought a second hand car soon after I came ,its a honda and still running well, we also have two moterbicks one new and one second hand. Our only outgoings are 2000 for elect and about 30000 for foodand general living expences . including a part time maid. Our 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house is just out side of Chiang Mai. you are welcome to visit if you could consider coming this far north. I am not sure how to give u my email addresss as I dont want to post it on line

Great subject and will go back and read all the responses with interest. I read an article that stated one could live in Thailand (was speaking of Chaing Mai) for $1200 a month. It was one of the cheapest in the article about the 10 best places to retire (for cost). But i'd read these responses and take them for more accuracy.

I have to say that I am also single and to live on £600 a month is not as easy as people might imagine.

The main reason is that you as a couple could live on that but you could well end up going stir crazy. What are you going to do all day, every day? Internet? Television? Go to the pub? Out for a meal? Some of those foods you yearn for like cheese or other items? All those things cost money and you really do need to cost those items properly. It is not as cheap as you think.

From the posts I saw (not read them all) no-one mentioned furnishing your place that you might want to live in. Fridge/freezer, tv, dvd player, bed, cooking facilites, furniture and the rest. That is not cheap unless you buy cheap stuff.

Cheapskate that I am according to one poster recently, but I download my movies and television programmes. Not because I cannot afford the television here, but the tv here is rubbish. You can watch endless repeats and mixed up series. That can also drive you out of the house into more expenses.

Plus all the other things people have mentioned.

Seriously come here. Can you take 3 months out from work and give it a long trial? The reality might surprise you, sadly. But best of luck in whatever you decide.

• Like 1

2 pages already and no further info from OP. Most of the advice here is realistic.

My 2 baht:

No, you can't do it on what you have, or think you will have.

Budget at least 90k per month for the 2 of you. Forget about setting something up for the wife.

Are you going to provide the cash for setting up?

You would not believe how fast the money goes.

Its not just rent, car, motosai, food, clothes, utilities.

Its insurance, furniture, repairs, you name it.

Some more information on what you and your wife are planning would be good.

Why Hua Hin, for example? How old is your wife and what background does she have (education, work experience etc.)?

What background do you have?

this is the most common sense reaction in this forum so far....

Don't even start to plan coming to Thailand before having more to live (survive) here. And don't believe the guy who's spending so little electricity with a 500 sm house. Ridiculous

I agree with these two posts. I have a friend who lives in Khok Samrong, Lopburi, owns his own house, plus has two other small houses on his property for the in-laws, owns his own truck, 2 motorcycles. Doesn't drink, doesn't play golf, doesn't chase other ladies. Has a wife, two kids, 4 dogs. Eats out about once a week. And still it costs him about 90,000 baht a month. Yes you can live on 30,000 if your single and living really, really frugal. But you won't have kind of life at all. Can't go to the movies, can't eat out, can't play golf, can't be a tourist. You would go nuts in about 3 months.

• Like 1

Realy sorry to burst your bubble but u aint got enough mate.The 60k should be for the future and 30k a month is no wheere near enough unless your missus can get a job earning 15k + a month,then u have half a chamnce.Huan Hn isnt that cheap,i live in Pattaya for nearly 9 years and i couldnt live on your money

Good advice.

What would happen if the UK renting business has bad months of no tenants or you require expensive medical care?

The OP would be moving to Thailand on a hope and a pray that all will work out.

Listen to our, somtampet, he knows what he`s talking about with experience.

Our household budget in Hua HIn (3 people, two dogs, with large house, large garden and two cars to maintain) is three times the amount you're talking about and that's no golf, no travel (except the occasional trip to Bangkok) and we only go out to eat a couple of times a week at restaurants where you can eat and have a beer for around 200 baht per person. We own the house and cars so we don't have any bills other than normal living expenses, i.e., full time gardener, internet, telephone, Truevisions and cable TV, electric, water, insurance, pest control, yearly visa fees, monthly maintenance medications and occasional medical bills. It takes between 80 and 90k baht just for those things. I realize that you may not need or want many of those things, but be warned the cost of living in Hua Hin took me by surprise. I think that along with Phuket, Bangkok, and Samui it is in the top four most expensive places to live in Thailand.

Because my income is just a fraction more than that, I had to give up golf and have not been able to travel outside Thailand since 2005. Plan your budget carefully.

Having said all that, I know single guys, even a couple or two who do live on 30k here, but they rent a dump in a Thai neighborhood, have no personal transportation other than maybe a bicycle, and eat and drink at home.

30k is plenty to live on in some areas - and i don't mean just survive. The problem with so many comments about the cost of living in 'Thailand', is that the far-flung reaches of Isaan don't get a mention. 'Thailand' ends up being a small belt of tasty locations around the water-line. And in comparison to our 'normal' life here, you sound like a lottery-winner ! 'Full time gardener' / 2 cars / etc.....

• Like 1

Realy sorry to burst your bubble but u aint got enough mate.The 60k should be for the future and 30k a month is no wheere near enough unless your missus can get a job earning 15k + a month,then u have half a chamnce.Huan Hn isnt that cheap,i live in Pattaya for nearly 9 years and i couldnt live on your money

Good advice.

What would happen if the UK renting business has bad months of no tenants or you require expensive medical care?

Yeah, right - someone who lives in PATTAYA for a mere 9 years has of course much more experience than anyone else in this forum and eaten wisdom with silver spoons - alone the choice of SomTamPet's "home town" clearly shows that he must be superior to all of us... <deleted>!

Mr. TingTong - listen to your heart and give it a go if you think you can do it! From being small kids onwards, we are told "You're too small!", "You're too clumsy!", "You will never make it!", "Don't touch that, don't eat that, don't do this, don't be friends with...", etc. pp. - you need to trust and listen to yourself only and nobody else!

I fear that all the answers (bad and good) will just confuse you even more than they might help you. The answer lies within you and only you!

Cheers,

Catweazle

• Like 2

sure you can rent a modest town house for 6-10k/m but i will be basic and out of town. when you get to know the place yes you will gain knowledge of where to eat/shop etc but i regret that 30k/month will be stretching it. if however you lived in the sticks (north east) your money will go alot further but sadly you may well die of boredom . please do not buy a condo, please!!!!

Good advice.

Yeah, right - someone who lives in PATTAYA for a mere 9 years has of course much more experience than anyone else in this forum and eaten wisdom with silver spoons - alone the choice of SomTamPet's "home town" clearly shows that he must be superior to all of us... <deleted>!

Mr. TingTong - listen to your heart and give it a go if you think you can do it! From being small kids onwards, we are told "You're too small!", "You're too clumsy!", "You will never make it!", "Don't touch that, don't eat that, don't do this, don't be friends with...", etc. pp. - you need to trust and listen to yourself only and nobody else!

I fear that all the answers (bad and good) will just confuse you even more than they might help you. The answer lies within you and only you!

Cheers,

Catweazle

No, no, no, no. You are not getting the point here.

I was emphasising on the OPs approx 3 million baht that he intends to bring over and out of that he will be purchasing a home for around 2.5 million baht that doesn’t leave him much in the bank. What about his visa requirement monies and so on?

The OP, according to his own words is relying on his wife finding a job to top up their income.

Not smart in my opinion and that’s taking a hell of a risk. So therefore, I go along with most of somtampet`s comments.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Totally agree. Everyone has different opinions and in the end it has to be up to one’s own discretion and risk, because all situations are different and some people are more adventurous than others. As for me, I descend from a long line of cowards and prefer to play it safe, rather than be sorry.

Wishing the OP all success with this and hope he can pull it off. Don`t take these posts too seriously, because most of us mean well, anyway.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Medical costs are something people often don't think of when moving from the UK to Thailand. You are out of the NHS if you live the UK officially and can't get back in until you have been resettled in the UK for 6 months. Some people who thought they were entitled to free treatment because they were British have been presented with huge bills.

Re business. These usually don't work out. So you need to budget for the investment in the business on the assumption that the investment will be written off, rather as an extra source of income. You can start looking at it as income once it has started to generate positive cash flow but not before.

Bottom line is,

1) OP does not have enough money: 3 millon is simply not enough for the rest of your life. <deleted> happens. OP is 52 years old. If things don't work out after a year or two or three he is that much older and begging for a job in a dead UK economy. Ouch!

2) It's a high risk scenario. Too many "ifs":

Wife will need some sort of job/income;

Being a long-distance landlord is a real pain;

Dodgy tenants can avoid paying for months, you are not there. Then they do the midnight ramble;

You are unable to come by and check they are not destroying your house

Repairs can be expensive, routine maintenance is necessary in order to avoid larger problems down the road. Someone has to be paid to do this;

Gaps between tenants coming and going cost you money;

Insurance may cost more for a rental property.

Bank transfers or ATM charges can eat into the rental income;

F/X rates are far from 100% stable;

There will be visa runs, regardless of what type of visa;

Trips back home to see family, friends and check the property. If a round trip is about 35-40K baht that's 3000/month off the budget.

The lifeline is stretched way too thin, that's my opinion.

Edited by johnnyk

I cannot believe farangs can live with 30k / month a decent life in Thailand. I have seen many farang living in small condo in Pattaya that even my friend Thais woul describe as poor.

You do not come in Thailand to live like a poor Thai don't you?

So here is my Pattaya spending... I have a girlfriend, we go out from time to time in Farang restaurant, I do not drink.

- rent 15,000

- electric 2,500 (aircon 24/7, computers)

- water+TV+phone: 1,500

- scooters, gas etc... 1,000

- internet: 1,000

- food and stuff (7/11, coke, cakes yougurths, toilet paper etc...) : 25,000, I try to keep under 5000 / week but there is always something. My GF cook home every day.

- visa (spread on one year) : 2,000

- girlfriend familly kid : 10,000

- misc : buy the new iPad, buy Tv, movies etc... farang alway buy some electrics/electronic stuff: 5,000 / months spread on 1 year

Total: 63,000

If you want to go in holliday, rent a car, count around 12,000 for the car, 5000 for the gas and 15,000 for the food and small hotel rent. Total close to 30,000 for 10 days of holliday visiting Thailand.

With your 30,000 baths, you will live in an insecure way, broke, without holliday, in a small place. If you get sick what will happen?

I would not do it.

Everything less than 60k in a place like Hua Hin, Pattaya or Phuket is not farang life style. Sure you can rent a 24sqm room with no aircon, and eat fried rice every day, but do you come in Thailand for that?

I'm also always running the numbers about how much I need. And just when I think that I have a number...I move back to Thailand for a month and burn through money just living -- no bars or major nights out or anything like that...and I realize I'm not ready yet.

My advice is get a revenue stream (business etc) set up BEFORE you make your move. And the rent won't cut it -- if you are living on a shoestring and for some reason you can't rent out your flat in the UK, you will be screwed. Then put aside at least 200$K before you make the jump. Thailand is always more expensive than people realize.