What Do You Guys Do Up North ?

justsignedin

I have been thinking of moving away from Pattaya. My Reason being it is cheaper to buy land and a house up there. But what would i do with my time and how would i keep the family off my back.

What do you guys do ?. Is their a farang scene or do you end up becoming reclusive.

cheers.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been thinking of moving away from Pattaya. My Reason being it is cheaper to buy land and a house up there. But what would i do with my time and how would i keep the family off my back.

What do you guys do ?. Is their a farang scene or do you end up becoming reclusive.

cheers.

Time pass by it self,, not so many farang here in Ubon, but as self empolyed time flyes....

Inlaws,,, never had problem about them,, 2.5met high concrete fence and gate locked inside, keep them away... :o

cheers.

Life, no matter where you live, is what you make of it.

There are many farang that live in and around Buriram. I doubt if any 2 of us have exactly the same lifestyle. Some teach, some work, some are very active, some sit in the pub all day long.

Personally, I find most of my days are full (and fullfilling) I normally start the day with a 20 - 40 Klm bike ride. Great for clearing the cobwebs and getting things into perspective. By the time I get back home, shit shower and shampoo, its morning teatime. If there is nothing pressing, I will write letters and emails and have a look around the web. Lunch is normally somewhere in town. Either me and Mrs Daddy, or with a falang friend. As there are literally 100's of places to eat in and around town, this in itself is an adventure. The afternoon can be an extension of lunch chatting with my farang friend, or a visit to the outlaws. Normally we go to the night market for dinner.

And when you add to that, things like, housecleaning, bill paying, visiting friends, trips to Surin/Korat/Bankok/Hua hin etc, motorcy rides around town, swimming, reading etc etc the days do seem to be full. And as Mrs Daddy has a very large circle of friends, we are continuously being asked to partys, social events or just out for dinner (thats why I am writing this at 1.40pm today. last night we went out to celebrate with some friends that had just purchased a new pick up. Korean BBQ and way too many Leos) :o

At the moment we are in a rented shophouse while our house is being built. So when we do move in there will be many more things to keep me busy. Many people knock us upcountry Issanites, but as I said before, Life, no matter where you live, is what you make of it. :D

cheers.

Seems like a big jump from Pattaya to Isaan. I did it the other way around, but after a year moved here, only 30 k's from Pattaya, but with Isaan prices :D And yes I still get the family visits although it's 550 k's. Mustn't speak too loud though, not seen anyone for 5 weeks :o

Far from glamorous ShingDam :o I was merely pointing out that there many things to do in this area and replying to the OP's question "What Do You Guys Do Up North ?"

Like I said "I doubt if any 2 of us have exactly the same lifestyle." And you have just proved that point :D

There are many opportunities up here to do the things you stated, as well as fish farming, pigs etc etc. However, when I stopped work in 1999 I vowed that was it, no more. And besides, I am somewhat of a indolent person :D:D

Far from glamorous ShingDam :o I was merely pointing out that there many things to do in this area and replying to the OP's question "What Do You Guys Do Up North ?"

Like I said "I doubt if any 2 of us have exactly the same lifestyle." And you have just proved that point :D

There are many opportunities up here to do the things you stated, as well as fish farming, pigs etc etc. However, when I stopped work in 1999 I vowed that was it, no more. And besides, I am somewhat of a indolent person :D:D

Ahh you sound like a man after my own heart.I loved all the working with cows, pigs, goats, fish farming, etc. when I lived up there. Watching other people,whilst myself eating and drinking that is. :D

Bad In-laws will follow you anywhere if they are after a free ride. Best to lay the law down with the family before you decide whether or not to move. Life can be expensive wherever you are if you have to budget for a whole thai family's up keep. I have numerous friends with bad luck story's where Thai in-laws are concerned. However, there is another side to the Thai culture which rarely shows its face but is there if you look hard and long enough. My wife's parents do live in our home in Ubon. Most shudder when I say that but they work and earn their own living. The house is always clean when we return. My wife sees to it that we don't get any hangers on around us looking for a hand out which keeps me happy and my outgoing looking after a second home are reasonable without becoming extortionate. I may be wrong on these matters but from what I have seen in Thailand over the years, most of these issues are controlled and governed by your wife. If she puts her foot down it usually makes a difference. However, if the wife wants the family to benefit from your generosity then "God Help You!"

Shoot me down in flames if you like but that's my take on matters.

Thanks for the insight guys. I must admit the most frightening thing is the thought of the inlaws sprawling allover my settee every day.

Is land readily avalible around Buriram, What would a half rai cost.??

Plenty of land for sale around Buriram justsignedin (and most other areas of the great northeast) :o

Cost is comparative to location and ammenities. A couple of examples to ponder.

1. approx 400 sq mtr block inside of town, has water elec and sealed road, 1.6 mil bht

2. 1 rai in a village about 10 Klms outside town, no water or elec, dirt road, 30K bht

3. 1 rai in a new development 4 Klms from town, fully serviced. 500K bht

As well as that, you can find everything in between those figures. Another option is to buy an exsisting house and renovate. Or, buy new in one of the many estates which seem to be spring up everywhere.

Good luck :D

Thanks for the insight guys. I must admit the most frightening thing is the thought of the inlaws sprawling allover my settee every day.

Is land readily avalible around Buriram, What would a half rai cost.??

Wow , A whole half a rie ! You could put ...like a.. . pickup truck on that amount of land :o

Land is cheap here depending on what you want . Alot of threads already cover this . Have a look around .

The inlaws are always there . Either at you house or in spirt ( on the phone ) you can never get away from them . However , alot of times they can be amusing and actually wanted . Not alot but you wil find yourself actually missing them if you dont see them for a few weeks . I would like to miss mine more often .

There really is alot to do here if you want . I am always kept busy . To busy . I wish I could be my lazy old self sometimes but there just is not enough time in the day . It would be nice to sit down and watch a movie from start to finish once a week .

Fish farming? Can you make any money doing that?

Bad In-laws will follow you anywhere if they are after a free ride. Best to lay the law down with the family before you decide whether or not to move. Life can be expensive wherever you are if you have to budget for a whole thai family's up keep. I have numerous friends with bad luck story's where Thai in-laws are concerned. However, there is another side to the Thai culture which rarely shows its face but is there if you look hard and long enough. My wife's parents do live in our home in Ubon. Most shudder when I say that but they work and earn their own living. The house is always clean when we return. My wife sees to it that we don't get any hangers on around us looking for a hand out which keeps me happy and my outgoing looking after a second home are reasonable without becoming extortionate. I may be wrong on these matters but from what I have seen in Thailand over the years, most of these issues are controlled and governed by your wife. If she puts her foot down it usually makes a difference. However, if the wife wants the family to benefit from your generosity then "God Help You!"

Shoot me down in flames if you like but that's my take on matters.

I to live with my wifes mother and father for 5 years now and we have never had any problems at all. Live in baby sitters it,s great. I think some people have the idea the if you live in Isaan you will have problems with family hangers on. it all depends on the family and it doesn,t matter where you live if the family is no good they will try and bleed you no matter where you are living.

I lived in Jomtien. My wife has a western style two bedroom house on two rai in Loei province. We spent most of our time in Jomtien but gradually more and more time in Loei. At this point I love it up here and only go down to Jomtien when I have to. Since living up here I enclosed the entire two rai with a two meter high block wall and built a large workshop/garage. I spend quite a bit of time in the shop and also enjoy the garden. The first thing in the morning I get on the Internet to check my stocks and to surf for a couple of hours. This area is very scenic so about three times a week I go up on a mountain to a small shop to drink beer and BS with a couple of friends. I do have UBC with movie channels but seldom watch TV. I have a TV in the bedroom and a DVD player. I probably have about a hundred movies that I have not seen. I can't remember the last time I watched a movie. I'd rather read in bed before I fall asleep.

Her family and friends have not been a problem. She knows I value my privacy and her family is not encouraged to sit around the house. I bought a little thatched roof hut that sits between the house and the garage. When she has company they sit on the bamboo slats under the thatched roof and have hen parties. I'm very content and do quite well with VERY few farang friends around. It's certainly not for everyone and if not for my wife I couldn't live here.

I beleive so. Once again, there is a very good thread about this topic somewhere here in the Issan fourm. I personally do not have any experience in this area, but last week I was asking a friend how another farang friend was going with his fish farm, and was told, "he is having trouble keeping up with demand" Hope that helps :D

I was VERY interested in a fish pond. That sounds well and good EXCEPT you have to find someone who knows what he is doing to build a pond. There are several quite deep ponds in the area that simply don't hold water. The soil has to have a high clay content. Sandy and rocky ground won't work. :D

I beleive so. Once again, there is a very good thread about this topic somewhere here in the Issan fourm. I personally do not have any experience in this area, but last week I was asking a friend how another farang friend was going with his fish farm, and was told, "he is having trouble keeping up with demand" Hope that helps :D

My wife owns :D a fish farm up in Chaiya Phum which her family takes care of. I never get into the financials but it must be doing ok as i have never had a sick Buffalo request yet :D She also owns the land next to it and next month we are having it dug out, to put more fish in. The thing is we will have to wait about a year for the soil to bake and so therefore not drain away too much. I (sorry, my wife) has just bought another 7 Rai this week, which is full of Mango trees, her family can also make a decent living selling those.

As for me, i'm off up north tomorrow and i hate it :o I hate the 7 hour journey, i get bitten to death no matter what i use and there is naff all to do when i finally do get there. It's just not my scene.

I was VERY interested in a fish pond. That sounds well and good EXCEPT you have to find someone who knows what he is doing to build a pond. There are several quite deep ponds in the area that simply don't hold water. The soil has to have a high clay content. Sandy and rocky ground won't work. :D

Far from glamorous ShingDam :D I was merely pointing out that there many things to do in this area and replying to the OP's question "What Do You Guys Do Up North ?"

Howdy,

Ken Bower here. I've been coming to Thailand since 1971 and for the first 30 of my 36 trips (B4 I married), I spent most of my time in Pattaya Beach actually living there in 1971-1972 and 1995-1996 but I've liked it there a little less every trip since (prices skyrocketing, more noise, pollution, crime, and the influence of quite a different breed of farang than those that came in the 1970's, 1980's and early 1990's methinks.

Anyhow, I've always wanted to retire in Thailand and it has taken me until now to finally decide to do so here in Ban Sakinam, a small village some 12km from downtown Chiayaphum.

We live in my wife's childhood home which is as we speak being transferred from her mother's name to hers. Another sister lives on another house on the same common family plot of land and there is ample room on this plot to build another 4-6 homes. The family own rice farms some 45-60 minutes walk or a short drive from our house which is farmed by the sister/bro-in-law that lives in the other house. Another sister married a Brit from London and lives upstairs in our home along with Lat's mom. She has a baby daughter which Lat and I love more than anyone with the possible exception of my/now our 4 kids/2 grandkids/great grandson. Her husband was just here visiting for 7 weeks and I love it when he's here. He is not only "family" but a great guy and good friend.

Lat also has a sister in Sakonnakorn, and brothers in Ubon and Udon Thani. The one who lives in Udon Thani was an Army officer but resigned after just one tour of duty and has worked in the middle east and has just signed another contract to return later this month.

The family grows not only all the rice we eat but also many of the fruits/veggies. Piroon, my wife's sister and Lat usually split the Tesco Lotus or Foodland and veggie market bills for the rest of our family's subsistance.

Now, what do I do here. Well at age 69 I pretty much do the same thing I did while living in the U.S. I watch one of the 48 channels of TV I get with UBC Platinum, read and answer e-mails from friends and members of the 59 Forums I belong too, read books which I borrow from a friend who lives in Bangkok (he has thousands of books, with over 200 with Thailand titles), AND travel inside and outside Thailand.

See, when I agreed to come retire over here after my wife lived in the U.S. for 10 years, (I felt I owed it to her to finally retire here, once Chiayaphum got Tesco/Lotus, Foodland and high speed internet and UBC Platinum...lol) we agreed that we'd spend two weeks each month here in her village with her family and the other two weeks travelling as we saw fit.

We make one-two trips to Bangkok each month and one to Udon Thani and travel throughout the rest of Thailand as we see fit. Also did our Christmas shopping in Singapore and plan to return again in March, have a trip with friends/family in Phnom Penh planned/paid for in June, and will hit Vientaine in Aug/Sep.

By staying up here half of each month, our retirement budget gets a rest so we can afford to pay hotel/meal/travel expenses for our travels and by travelling every month, we never get bored with Ban Sakinam, and to tell you the truth, I look forward to getting back sometimes...

It's just the best plan ever for us. Would probably work for mamy other expats/farangs too.

Ken and Rattana Bower

Chiayaphum Thailand

Just last month we paid a visit to my gf's family.

As always, all her friends (about 20 of them, with husbands or wifes, all within 25-35 years of age) came to the porch for drinks. Most of them had their Lao Khao dozes in little plastic bottles and were drinking it.

To impress them, I wanted to play a punk version of the "Hotel California" song.

To my surprise, none of them had ever heard or knew about the original version.

Then, I found out, none of them has ever heard of the Beatles or the Rolling Stones.

I gave up when I found out that none of them has ever heard of Microsoft.

Then, I found out, none of them has ever heard of the Beatles or the Rolling Stones.

I enquired about Adolf Hitler in my ex gf's village, never heard of him!...one of the kids was playing football in the street with a swastika logo on his t-shirt :o

I enquired about Adolf Hitler in my ex gf's village, never heard of him!...one of the kids was playing football in the street with a swastika logo on his t-shirt :D

Very intresting guys :o But <deleted> has that got to do with the topic "

What Do You Guys Do Up North ?"

Something a little bit more positive would be nice :D

I enquired about Adolf Hitler in my ex gf's village, never heard of him!...one of the kids was playing football in the street with a swastika logo on his t-shirt :D

Very intresting guys :o But <deleted> has that got to do with the topic "

<deleted> are you talking about? :D

This has everything to do with the topic, we were simply relaying our experiences from venturing into the village, which I will think you find very much forms part of "what you do guys do up north"

Sorry if I upset the positive police :D

Very intresting guys :D But <deleted> has that got to do with the topic "

Daddy,,, i think that "friend's" where not the only ones, with some Lao Khao in the "System",,, some times topic can be miss understood,, or maybe he ment that, that is what he is doing in up north,, observing what people know or drink....LOL :o

How many of you knwo Leningrad Cowboys???

Sometimes, it really pays to read to read the whole thread before posting. Or you may end up looking like a real nigel :o

I don’t get board up in the north east and always find something to do. Fishing. Ride a push bike. Ride dirt bikes. Ride road bikes. Go for a drive. Play on the computer. Play with the kids. Go see what the locals are doing. Go visit friends. Watch UBC. Go out to eat. Go to the nearest city for some shopping and drop into the local bar for a few beers and a bullshit. The only rule I try and keep is no beer before 17:00 unless we have visitors, or a funeral, or a wedding, or a holiday, or its hot, or we are rained in, actually forget about the 17:00 rule as it is bullshit and just sit back and go with the flow as there is nothing you have to do today that you cant put off until tomorrow :o enjoy life

Howdy,

Ken Bower here. I've been coming to Thailand since 1971 and for the first 30 of my 36 trips (B4 I married), I spent most of my time in Pattaya Beach actually living there in 1971-1972 and 1995-1996 but I've liked it there a little less every trip since (prices skyrocketing, more noise, pollution, crime, and the influence of quite a different breed of farang than those that came in the 1970's, 1980's and early 1990's methinks.

Anyhow, I've always wanted to retire in Thailand and it has taken me until now to finally decide to do so here in Ban Sakinam, a small village some 12km from downtown Chiayaphum.

We live in my wife's childhood home which is as we speak being transferred from her mother's name to hers. Another sister lives on another house on the same common family plot of land and there is ample room on this plot to build another 4-6 homes. The family own rice farms some 45-60 minutes walk or a short drive from our house which is farmed by the sister/bro-in-law that lives in the other house. Another sister married a Brit from London and lives upstairs in our home along with Lat's mom. She has a baby daughter which Lat and I love more than anyone with the possible exception of my/now our 4 kids/2 grandkids/great grandson. Her husband was just here visiting for 7 weeks and I love it when he's here. He is not only "family" but a great guy and good friend.

Lat also has a sister in Sakonnakorn, and brothers in Ubon and Udon Thani. The one who lives in Udon Thani was an Army officer but resigned after just one tour of duty and has worked in the middle east and has just signed another contract to return later this month.

The family grows not only all the rice we eat but also many of the fruits/veggies. Piroon, my wife's sister and Lat usually split the Tesco Lotus or Foodland and veggie market bills for the rest of our family's subsistance.

Now, what do I do here. Well at age 69 I pretty much do the same thing I did while living in the U.S. I watch one of the 48 channels of TV I get with UBC Platinum, read and answer e-mails from friends and members of the 59 Forums I belong too, read books which I borrow from a friend who lives in Bangkok (he has thousands of books, with over 200 with Thailand titles), AND travel inside and outside Thailand.

See, when I agreed to come retire over here after my wife lived in the U.S. for 10 years, (I felt I owed it to her to finally retire here, once Chiayaphum got Tesco/Lotus, Foodland and high speed internet and UBC Platinum...lol) we agreed that we'd spend two weeks each month here in her village with her family and the other two weeks travelling as we saw fit.

We make one-two trips to Bangkok each month and one to Udon Thani and travel throughout the rest of Thailand as we see fit. Also did our Christmas shopping in Singapore and plan to return again in March, have a trip with friends/family in Phnom Penh planned/paid for in June, and will hit Vientaine in Aug/Sep.

By staying up here half of each month, our retirement budget gets a rest so we can afford to pay hotel/meal/travel expenses for our travels and by travelling every month, we never get bored with Ban Sakinam, and to tell you the truth, I look forward to getting back sometimes...

It's just the best plan ever for us. Would probably work for mamy other expats/farangs too.

Ken and Rattana Bower

Chiayaphum Thailand

I'd just like to say how much I enjoyed reading your post. Seems like you have a great life. If all goes well, I will be getting married in LOS in April and aim to relocate a wee bit youger than you did, but a good 12 months away yet. I hope to be able to enjoy things as much as you clearly are. Inclusive, not exclusive - yeah, I can go for that. Maybe the South isn't where I should be?

Ollie

Howdy,

Ken and Rattana Bower

Chiayaphum Thailand

I'd just like to say how much I enjoyed reading your post. Seems like you have a great life. If all goes well, I will be getting married in LOS in April and aim to relocate a wee bit youger than you did, but a good 12 months away yet. I hope to be able to enjoy things as much as you clearly are. Inclusive, not exclusive - yeah, I can go for that. Maybe the South isn't where I should be?

Ollie

Rigger

That's a great rule,,, and so tru as well, but it's good to have rules, so one have one more thing to do up here, brake it...

Little bit of my day as it seems that im youngest one here,,, i have been up here since -97 and currently ONLY 39yo young, So i have long way to go for retirement...

My day start's at 0600hr as all the roosters start's they morning that time as well, then coffee(nice fresh breawed coffee, not instant) then now days watch OZ open as it's start 0700,, and same time go through all last nights mails and forums, keeps me busy until 0800, when it's time to take wife to the Uni where she finishing her Farmacist licence (that is shity to get)

then to the town(Ubon) check my shop and talk crap in SK after that if there is any friend's free for a day maybe some coffee and chit chat, but have to say that most of the "guys" are working" during day time and those who are here for party not yet wake up so early.... :D

then if nothing else and no ones free, heading back to home and building my empire,,,(small at this stage)

afternoon take nap for few hrs, then it's time to heading back to the town, missus finishing her study atb 5pm and then back to shop, and get the list for new items for following day and back home, usually day is more or less done abt 7pm, then few hrs for preparing for next day and telly after that is time to hit the sack and start all over again 0600hrs.This goes around 7days a week, so sometimes not so much time to party, but one must keep beeer balance in the ok level so time to time this format is not working 100%.

In my part of the ubon, closest farang living is 20Km away so not so much activities from visitor's.

Oh yeah forgot that 6mths per year im off to my real work in the cruise ship.in US..that is story by it self's.. :o

Howdy,

Ken and Rattana Bower

Chiayaphum Thailand

Ollie

Rigger

That's a great rule,,, and so tru as well, but it's good to have rules, so one have one more thing to do up here, brake it...

Little bit of my day as it seems that im youngest one here,,, i have been up here since -97 and currently ONLY 39yo young, So i have long way to go for retirement...

My day start's at 0600hr as all the roosters start's they morning that time as well, then coffee(nice fresh breawed coffee, not instant) then now days watch OZ open as it's start 0700,, and same time go through all last nights mails and forums, keeps me busy until 0800, when it's time to take wife to the Uni where she finishing her Farmacist licence (that is shity to get)

then to the town(Ubon) check my shop and talk crap in SK after that if there is any friend's free for a day maybe some coffee and chit chat, but have to say that most of the "guys" are working" during day time and those who are here for party not yet wake up so early.... :D

then if nothing else and no ones free, heading back to home and building my empire,,,(small at this stage)

afternoon take nap for few hrs, then it's time to heading back to the town, missus finishing her study atb 5pm and then back to shop, and get the list for new items for following day and back home, usually day is more or less done abt 7pm, then few hrs for preparing for next day and telly after that is time to hit the sack and start all over again 0600hrs.This goes around 7days a week, so sometimes not so much time to party, but one must keep beeer balance in the ok level so time to time this format is not working 100%.

In my part of the ubon, closest farang living is 20Km away so not so much activities from visitor's.

Oh yeah forgot that 6mths per year im off to my real work in the cruise ship.in US..that is story by it self's.. :o

I am 35 turning 21 next year most my mate in the area are 55+ but got a few mate just a few years older in udon and Khon kean but we still have some pretty good laughs