justsignedin

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi All

I'm not yet a seasoned Ubonite as most of my family's time is spent in UK becuase of work. I'm 37 yo and frequently visit our second home in Ubon 2 or 3 times a year. My day consists of an early rise in the morning around 5-5:30am usually due to the sound of bells ringing around the cows neck's next door. The local farmer keep a dozen or so cows around which double up as an alarm clock in the morning. No chickens yet but the mother-in-law is pushing for a few to keep her company. I get up have toast or corn flakes with "instant coffee" (i'm not as refined or posh as Marco" i'm used to the cheap Nescafe stuff from big C. Sit out on the porch having breakfast and listen to the local souds of wildlife common in Thailand. I rarely get to enjoy the country side in UK anymore. The next door neighbor comes to talk with my wife and chat to my son. I don't understand totally what they talk about but nice that people take the time to be friendly. Never see my neighbors in UK. The old guy talks for a while with my wife. I always laugh becuase I'm sure I can see his nuts hanging out of his sarong when he squats down to talk. Doesn't seem to bother him though so I turn a blind eye. I go out through the day shopping mostly as there is always something needed for the house its not quite finsihed yet we've been working at it for a few years now. Night times come around real quick and my son falls asleep on our bed so mother-in-law sleeps next to him for a few hours to let my wife and I hit the town. Usullay drag my wife into MK for suki bowl .. I love that stuff. Or maybe a staek in Lai Thong hotel and Kareoke down stairs later after a few beers. My wife loves to sing but pitty pepole start leaving just as a start. Didn't think my voice was that bad but realise then next moring how dismal I really was. Lovely place alround for decent living folk or respect there life with their partner/wife and don't want to reuin matters by living in the resorts. Pattaya, Phuket etc... Never really apeal to me now that i'm married. I love my wife and want to keep it that way. Too much temptation elsewhere is not good for a relationship. Ubon is the ideal place to realise your dreams without committing adultery.

Excuse me for waffling on but that is my

sorry about the spelling typed in a rush before work

Hi All

I'm not yet a seasoned Ubonite as most of my family's time is spent in UK becuase of work. I'm 37 yo and frequently visit our second home in Ubon 2 or 3 times a year. My day consists of an early rise in the morning around 5-5:30am usually due to the sound of bells ringing around the cows neck's next door. The local farmer keep a dozen or so cows around which double up as an alarm clock in the morning. No chickens yet but the mother-in-law is pushing for a few to keep her company. I get up have toast or corn flakes with "instant coffee" (i'm not as refined or posh as Marco" i'm used to the cheap Nescafe stuff from big C. Sit out on the porch having breakfast and listen to the local souds of wildlife common in Thailand. I rarely get to enjoy the country side in UK anymore. The next door neighbor comes to talk with my wife and chat to my son. I don't understand totally what they talk about but nice that people take the time to be friendly. Never see my neighbors in UK. The old guy talks for a while with my wife. I always laugh becuase I'm sure I can see his nuts hanging out of his sarong when he squats down to talk. Doesn't seem to bother him though so I turn a blind eye. I go out through the day shopping mostly as there is always something needed for the house its not quite finsihed yet we've been working at it for a few years now. Night times come around real quick and my son falls asleep on our bed so mother-in-law sleeps next to him for a few hours to let my wife and I hit the town. Usullay drag my wife into MK for suki bowl .. I love that stuff. Or maybe a staek in Lai Thong hotel and Kareoke down stairs later after a few beers. My wife loves to sing but pitty pepole start leaving just as a start. Didn't think my voice was that bad but realise then next moring how dismal I really was. Lovely place alround for decent living folk or respect there life with their partner/wife and don't want to reuin matters by living in the resorts. Pattaya, Phuket etc... Never really apeal to me now that i'm married. I love my wife and want to keep it that way. Too much temptation elsewhere is not good for a relationship. Ubon is the ideal place to realise your dreams without committing adultery.

Excuse me for waffling on but that is my

sorry about the spelling typed in a rush before work

Jay

Fresh Brewed coffee,, nothing like it,, 3 big mug's on that, keep pipes clear (You know what i mean)

you are stake lover,, there is this small Grand Pa restaurant near by airport,, big like heel the stakes and 1/3 of the Lai thong price,, when you are here i will take you there and have few too many pint's there as well,,, i dont mind bad karaoke....maybe Thaibites will join as well and we can have really loud karaoke.....

:o

"Sorry Isaan based guys, you can have ...........................EDITED."

Well do I sense the bitter ramblings of someone who is purley out for argument. If you do not like Isaan so much then why stumble into our forum with such negative comments about the pepole within it. For one I do have a job like many others who choice to visit and/or reside in N/E Thailand. I certainly do not have a drug problem, visit alcoholics anonymus or to my knowledge am diluded. Ubon is not in the sticks and if you had ever visited then perhaps you would know that. On the issue of children and where they should grow up. Well I too want the best for my son but whilst living in the west provides them with more in terms of financial security it does not any longer instill moral family values that you readily see amongst Thai children to their parents. After I have provided for my son, put him in the best schools UK has to offer, give him pocket money on request. He will then most likley grow up tell me to get stuffed leave home when his girlfriend's pregnant and put my wife and I in an old peoples home when we are too much trouble to look after any more. So if the west makes better people of us then I would seriously doubt those claims. Finally I have never in the past or will ever in the future live in a cave ....... So keep you negativity and shove it up your arse and stay in Tokyo if that's your love but don't come in this forum making wide and lose assumption of others that you have never met.

Edited by croftrobin

"Sorry Isaan based guys, you {CUT}."

Well do I sense the bitter ramblings of someone who is purley out for argument. If you do not like Isaan so much then why stumble into our forum with such negative comments about the pepole within it. For one I do have a job like many others who choice to visit and/or reside in N/E Thailand. I certainly do not have a drug problem, visit alcoholics anonymus or to my knowledge am diluded. Ubon is not in the sticks and if you had ever visited then perhaps you would know that. On the issue of children and where they should grow up. Well I too want the best for my son but whilst living in the west provides them with more in terms of financial security it does not any longer instill moral family values that you readily see amongst Thai children to their parents. After I have provided for my son, put him in the best schools UK has to offer, give him pocket money on request. He will then most likley grow up tell me to get stuffed leave home when his girlfriend's pregnant and put my wife and I in an old peoples home when we are too much trouble to look after any more. So if the west makes better people of us then I would seriously doubt those claims. Finally I have never in the past or will ever in the future live in a cave ....... So keep you negativity and shove it up your arse and stay in Tokyo if that's your love but don't come in this forum making wide and lose assumption of others that you have never met.

Jay well sayed, but im sure that person is lonely so he\she but come to our friendly forum and try to insult our Normal life/real life, that is something what they cant get in the out side of "caves"

Like you and i know and many other's in Isaan, we are the cream of the cream, those people who are provide FOOD for people in the big cities,,,,, what they would do with out us?? city people cant get they ahnd dirty, thay would staving to death,, so Jay,, lest give this loney soul change to open his\her soul and maybe,, just maybe they realize how low thay go,,,

With out us, NO Food in the cities...so simple is that...and the life goes on

btw Jay had good laugh on web,, see ya soon

Edited by croftrobin

Sawasdee Everyone,

Just read this thread I like.Oh and by the way Dragonman you are right 5 weeks is long time.They are on thier way!!!!!!!!!!!Break out the loa koa and the crickets :D

ISSAN the only place to live :o:D It truly is what you make of your own life.

Ride dirt bikes.

Did you see the motocross track on Maliwan Road in Khon Kaen?

it looks tasty!

Hi Thaipwriter

Not sure where Maliwan road is The only track that I have seen is behind where they use to race the Go carts.

Did you find a bike

I have a 1996 cr 250 for sale 35,000bht new rings and gaskets and back tire

As I want to but a thumper

Rigger

Marco

Enjoyed our chat today also. Catch up with you soon when in Ubon early Feb. I've put your mobile no: on my phone. I'll call from my local mobile number on arrival. Can't remember which sim card is mine and/or my wife's. Not much good at remembering all these numbers as we keep changing sim cards. A few cards we bought did not work so well at our home and had to change to get a better signal.

Cheers mate.

Jay

Ride dirt bikes.

Did you see the motocross track on Maliwan Road in Khon Kaen?

it looks tasty!

Hi Thaipwriter

Not sure where Maliwan road is The only track that I have seen is behind where they use to race the Go carts.

Did you find a bike

I have a 1996 cr 250 for sale 35,000bht new rings and gaskets and back tire

As I want to but a thumper

Rigger

Any of you guys have or play with ATV'S??

i saw few smaller one's here in Ubon and those are fun to play with...

Are there any tracks out off Ubon town that can be used by 4x4's or off road bikes. I would like to go and take a look myself. If anyone can suggest anywhere then please let me know. Not too rough mind you would not want to drive off a cliff or anything but generally fun roads for pickups etc..

Sorry Isaan based guys, you can have an ATM nearby but ur back legs are still in the stone age.

I am always wondering what does it take to go into a cave. Hippy menthality or what?

Blanket boredom all over the places, alcoholism, drugs, no jobs, no prosperity. With people nice but disilusioned, nothing much to do in the sticks.

Hey, they would go elsewhere, their daughters would even f--ck just to get out.

Sorry again, I want my daughter to be in te most relevant places on the planet. Nothing like Nakhon Nowhere.

Nothing to do there..as the posts testify it's good when doing nothing.

If i could I would not hesitate one moment to leave Tokyo for the Thai sticks tomorrow....

What do we do up north? Example #?:

I teach 15 hours a week in a university in central Isan, usually 9-12, Monday-Friday. In a university community of 30,000 students and 1,500 faculty, there's ALWAYS something going on--concerts, sporting events, dramas--something for everyone's tastes.

I get up between 6:30 and 7:00, get to my office around 8, and am in class at 9. I can put as much as I want into my classes, which usually means the full afternoon or evening is given over to research for new material or follow up of students' work.

I have more friends among teachers and students than I have time for, which means there's NEVER a dull moment. Always being invited to go somewhere to do something.

Weekends are usually a movie downtown, a treat at KFC, some shopping, and church with some American friends to keep in touch with the West. Some weekends I just get on a bus (or take my motorcycle) and hit the road with my camera and diary. I love camping, finding remote temple ruins, hiking, and exploring little villages and getting to know the locals. My friends and family back home eagerly wait for my on-line blog which recounts my life and adventures here.

I've been here for over three years, and have never had so much fun in all my previous life. (which included banking, an export business, and world-wide travel).

I went from a fast urban American environment, making USD$60K+ annually, to an Isan university town, making USD$8K a year.* All my needs are cared for, and most of my wants. In the USA I saved less than 10% of my monthly salary. Here, I save 60% of it. I discovered that being rich is not about what you have; it's about what you don't need.

I find in Isan a rich culture, a convenient base for travel to surrounding Thailand and other countries, and a wonderfully fulfilling life in the academic arena--working with bright, energetic and appreciative young Thai adults.

I so much agree with previous posters---life ANYWHERE is what you make it. It's only as exciting as your interests and *willingness to take risks.

Edited by toptuan

I teach 15 hours a week in a university in central Isan, usually 9-12, Monday-Friday. In a university community of 30,000 students and 1,500 faculty, there's ALWAYS something going on--concerts, sporting events, dramas--something for everyone's tastes.

I get up between 6:30 and 7:00, get to my office around 8, and am in class at 9. I can put as much as I want into my classes, which usually means the full afternoon or evening is given over to research for new material or follow up of students' work.

I have more friends among teachers and students than I have time for, which means there's NEVER a dull moment. Always being invited to go somewhere to do something.

Weekends are usually a movie downtown, a treat at KFC, some shopping, and church with some American friends to keep in touch with the West. Some weekends I just get on a bus (or take my motorcycle) and hit the road with my camera and diary. I love camping, finding remote temple ruins, hiking, and exploring little villages and getting to know the locals. My friends and family back home eagerly wait for my on-line blog which recounts my life and adventures here.

I've been here for over three years, and have never had so much fun in all my previous life. (which included banking, an export business, and world-wide travel).

I went from a fast urban American environment, making USD$60K+ annually, to an Isan university town, making USD$8K a year.* All my needs are cared for, and most of my wants. In the USA I saved less than 10% of my monthly salary. Here, I save 60% of it. I discovered that being rich is not about what you have; it's about what you don't need.

I find in Isan a rich culture, a convenient base for travel to surrounding Thailand and other countries, and a wonderfully fulfilling life in the academic arena--working with bright, energetic and appreciative young Thai adults.

I so much agree with previous posters---life ANYWHERE is what you make it. It's only as exciting as your interests and *willingness to take risks.

Toptuan

thats deep and Soo true, in the western world, one ALWAYS

Toptuan

thats deep and Soo true, in the western world, one ALWAYS

Sorry about last one,,, fingers where faster than brain, i guess that comes with the age....

as i was saying inn the western world one always looking what your neigbour has and try to top of that, here at least where i live has nothing like that, we are all normal middle\lower class families here and people are happy, life is all what you can make out of it and not what you can buy and show to your neighbours....

Jay

havent saw any 4X4 tracks for ATV's in Uboin but there is alwasy sone nice back sand road's for exploring,, and no cliff's here..

and other thing came to my mind, any of you gus for RC stuff? i have Super 10 RC Nitro Car but so far haven't saw any one at least in Ubon to drive any where in those,, i use to racing and would like to find some soul mate for drive with,,,,I saw few thais few mths ago, having RC plane,,,but never real car's....

Marco

I bought my young Nephew a RC Car some years back in Sisaket which was pretty neat but battery powered. Only problem was that you get about five minutes play time before having to recharge. Did not get around to buying spare batteries but overall the fuel engine types much better for power and length of play time. If I had one i'd join you but the one we have is a bit pathetic compared to a nitro powered car. They are still quite expensive to buy here in UK for fuel type RC cars £200-300 each. Did you buy yours locally in Ubon.

The battery powered car was approx: 2000 THB from memory.

Jay

Edited by jay-uk

I live in a small village in Buri-Ram province. I have a house and a small store. I don't get to stay there as often as I'd like to though. I have my job in Iraq. I go home, spend time with the family, work on my house and visit with friends. I enjoy the quiet life out there. I rarely drink and when I do it's with my Brit friends. I don't miss the night life. I'm more into the tranquility and closeness of family. My mother-in-law lives a block away from us. She comes down and visits every few days, but she doesn't interfere with our home at all. You should give it a shot...

Marco

I bought my young Nephew a RC Car some years back in Sisaket which was pretty neat but battery powered. Only problem was that you get about five minutes play time before having to recharge. Did not get around to buying spare batteries but overall the fuel engine types much better for power and length of play time. If I had one i'd join you but the one we have is a bit pathetic compared to a nitro powered car. They are still quite expensive to buy here in UK for fuel type RC cars £200-300 each. Did you buy yours locally in Ubon.

The battery powered car was approx: 2000 THB from memory.

Jay

Jay

no i got mine back in -99 from Phuket as so far mine cost with everything abt 3500USD, as i said it's for racing and not for "parking place" racing as i have abt 2mm distance for surface,,,

I know in Ubon we dont have track yet(im thinking of bulding one) but so far not yes much intrests as well...maybe few yrs then it would be up an runnning

I never get tired of this type of thread. I remember the one back about a year ago. These threads provide inspiration for those of us who have yet to make the move. Thank you all for sharing your varied experiences! Would love to read more!!! :o

i31-2005.11.15-16.15.40.jpg

(Rock painting at Ban Phu)

Oh one more thing to say about what we do in Issan.We enjoy our lives!!!!!! :o:D:D Everyones is different.

I like this thread, it's not often we learn why people with choice live where they live. Perhaps the rather rude resident of Tokyo would like to describe a typical day in Tokyo.

I have been to Japan, been utterly confused by the signs, made no sense of a newspaper, got lost on the trains, pointed at plastic food, been denied lodging for want of language skills, I really would like to know what you do way up North East, North East of Taiwan, how you mastered all these things and came to make a living there.

We can't wait to apply on mass for Visas.

Oh one more thing to say about what we do in Issan.We enjoy our lives!!!!!! :D:D:D Everyones is different.

I like this thread, it's not often we learn why people with choice live where they live. Perhaps the rather rude resident of Tokyo would like to describe a typical day in Tokyo.

I have been to Japan, been utterly confused by the signs, made no sense of a newspaper, got lost on the trains, pointed at plastic food, been denied lodging for want of language skills, I really would like to know what you do way up North East, North East of Taiwan, how you mastered all these things and came to make a living there.

We can't wait to apply on mass for Visas.

idlemeister, welcome to TV, and especially the Issan forum :D:o

The rants of some members here, and in other TV forums are common place. (and I am guilty of this as well :D )

Dont let that put you off reading and posting here. TV is a great source of information (as you can see from this thread) and often provides very humerous moments when a couple of members try to out debate each other :D:D

Thanks for the warm welcome and never fear it takes more than a drunken or opinionated rant to put me off.

After being a silent parasite on TV for some time, I decided it was time to weigh in as the rude comments although wisely removed by a moderator but living in someone's reasoned response (QUOTE(jay-uk @ 2006-01-23 16:35:09) - deserve a robust rebutal more than self defence.

While I enjoy the fast, cheap and reliable internet available in North America, 256k dsl in Udon is hardly the stone age. I recall that Kennedy's excuse for doing nothing about the Indonesian invasion of west papua was "but those people are living in the stonge age"

NO ! this smacks of self righteous indignation, a desperately unhappy salaryman cannot stand to hear that his lonely and money-centric life in Tokyo is not really worth the pain... that many of us are happier sinking Leo's than Ebisu or Bud, prefer kao niao to sushi, and find the daily traffic jam or train crush intolerable, that we would rather buy some betel nut or whiskey for some old folk and listen to them prattle on than ship them off to nursing homes.

Time for the fat sumo man to explain why what he does with his days and nights is so much better, and why sitting in a high rise waiting for the big one is better than a rickety platform overlooking a pond with half a dozen singha and some tom yum goong.

Lets hear from you think to little, or forever hold your piece.. (no typo)

Hi Y'All!

I don't know if Nakorn Ratchasima qualifies as being in Isaan, but my wife tells me it is the 'Gateway to Isaan', so here is my piece for the records.

Been here for over 19 years. Between helping my wife in running a mini-mart, 2 Fried Chicken Franchises and a large friuit farm(7 Rais), as well as shopping, cooking, washing, looking after my 2 kids, the day simply isn't long enough ! :o

Many time I find myself wishing I could go back to my sedintary life in Saudi just for a REST! :D

Thanks for the warm welcome and never fear it takes more than a drunken or opinionated rant to put me off.

After being a silent parasite on TV for some time, I decided it was time to weigh in as the rude comments although wisely removed by a moderator but living in someone's reasoned response (QUOTE(jay-uk @ 2006-01-23 16:35:09) - deserve a robust rebutal more than self defence.

While I enjoy the fast, cheap and reliable internet available in North America, 256k dsl in Udon is hardly the stone age. I recall that Kennedy's excuse for doing nothing about the Indonesian invasion of west papua was "but those people are living in the stonge age"

NO ! this smacks of self righteous indignation, a desperately unhappy salaryman cannot stand to hear that his lonely and money-centric life in Tokyo is not really worth the pain... that many of us are happier sinking Leo's than Ebisu or Bud, prefer kao niao to sushi, and find the daily traffic jam or train crush intolerable, that we would rather buy some betel nut or whiskey for some old folk and listen to them prattle on than ship them off to nursing homes.

Time for the fat sumo man to explain why what he does with his days and nights is so much better, and why sitting in a high rise waiting for the big one is better than a rickety platform overlooking a pond with half a dozen singha and some tom yum goong.

Lets hear from you think to little, or forever hold your piece.. (no typo)

idlemeister, methinks you are going to fit right in here :o

Have you ever watched a spider spin her web? Have you ever watched a wasp build his nest with clay or a troop of ants demolish a mango peel? I have.

Oh, and me and Geoff help the Thai economy by drinking lots of beer.

See, there is something for "everyone" to do up here :o

I assume that you are a nature lover then Lourens :D

• 2 weeks later...

Aye, I must add my reply hoping it doesn't become one of those blog styles. I live in the wilderness, one could call it jungle also. I do nothing but feed the dogs walking to my post box and the bank every month to collect my "fortune" There are falangs around during high season with their girlfriends from Phuket, Pattaya and Singapore. Also a lot of perms here with houses with a much different life style then me. I stayed in Pattaya for ten years and been all over Thailand. One must be somewhere walking our failing planet and fulfill three basics namely, having a roof over your head, something to do inwardly, a great piece of ass at your side. After all my years being a mover and shaker, it's okay for me to do nothing, just hiding with my blues on the box. P.S> I had to put down the juices and the cigs now do to health. We make small outings often to Trat by the Sea and Pattaya for the shopping and amusing night times. I hope this gives some insights about life at the end of the world!