Expat Club In Chiang Mai

SBACM

http://www.chiangmaiexpatsclub.com/

The Chiang Mai Expats Club - Expats helping Expats- set up on 1 September 2005.

(from their website)

Chiangmai Expats Club is about Expats helping others expand friendships with others and improving their quality of life. As Expats, we are living in a foreign county. The language of this foreign country is by no means an easy language, as it is different and very difficult. The Laws of our new country are new to us as well as many of this wonderful Kingdoms' customs. It is the hope of Chiangmai Expats Club to help all Expats in learning this new language, these new laws and new customs. Chiangmai Expats Club will be reaching into the Thai Community, which has so graciously and generously given to the Expat community, to find those Thais, with their specific expertise, who will help the Expats ease into their new life in Thailand. We will be looking to Immigration Officials, Law Enforcement Officials, Medical Providers, Insurance Providers, Educators, Realtors, Building Contractors, Home Decorators, etc. This list goes on and on. We also, will be looking to the Thai Community to provide the Expat Community with a list of cultural events that will help all learn more about their beautiful Thai Culture. We aim to be a credit to the Thai Community and not a burden.

(from their website)

Chiangmai Expats Club is about Expats helping others expand friendships with others and improving their quality of life. As Expats, we are living in a foreign county. The language of this foreign country is by no means an easy language, as it is different and very difficult. The Laws of our new country are new to us as well as many of this wonderful Kingdoms' customs. It is the hope of Chiangmai Expats Club to help all Expats in learning this new language, these new laws and new customs. Chiangmai Expats Club will be reaching into the Thai Community, which has so graciously and generously given to the Expat community, to find those Thais, with their specific expertise, who will help the Expats ease into their new life in Thailand. We will be looking to Immigration Officials, Law Enforcement Officials, Medical Providers, Insurance Providers, Educators, Realtors, Building Contractors, Home Decorators, etc. This list goes on and on. We also, will be looking to the Thai Community to provide the Expat Community with a list of cultural events that will help all learn more about their beautiful Thai Culture. We aim to be a credit to the Thai Community and not a burden.

CEC Club Meeting 14 January 2006

Held at the Chiangmai Orchid Hotel.

Attendance: Approx 60 people

MC: Jim Cox / Tom Matty

Secretary: Lucy Coombs

The Chiangmai Expats Club (CEC) held it's first meeting of the new year on Saturday, January 14, at 10:30 a.m., at the Chiangmai Orchid Hotel on Huay Kaew Rd. Vice-president Tom Matty started the meeting by welcoming everyone to the meeting, and pointing out how the club has grown immensely since its inception in September 2005. Tom gave recognition to the many business establishments in the Chiangmai area who give their support to CEC through generous donations and by offering discounts to members who patronize their businesses. He also reminded everyone that the annual membership dues is still just 150 baht, while a lifetime membership costs only 600 baht.

Tom mentioned the overwhelmingly successful pre-Christmas buffet, and pointed out that next year's buffet promises to be just as grand.

Jim Cox, club president and founding member said that the club has a membership in excess of eighty expats, and is still growing.

A request for volunteers went out to the membership so that the club can continue offering the best information and programs not only to the club members, but also to the Chiangmai populous in general. He again mentioned what a great feeling you get when you give something back to the community.

Club secretary, Lucy Coombs reported that seventy-six people attended the last official meeting on December 10, 2005. At that meeting thirteen new members joined the club. (The Christmas buffet was held in lieu of the December 24 meeting.)

Charles Boling, vice-president, shared information about the upcoming trip to Doi Ethanon, the highest peak in Thailand. (Note :fully subscribed as of 16 Jan 06)

Horst Bruch, club member, shared information on several upcoming cultural events: Earth, Wind and Water at Luna Gallery, Art Cafe art exhibit, Forever Young in Bangkok presents the Backstreet Boys, new art exhibit at Chiangmai University, and the presentation of Joseph and the Amazing Colored Dream Coat at Kad Suan Kaew.

The guest speaker, Alinda Chotinaruemol, a health insurance representative from BUPA Health Insurance spoke about, and passed out information on worldwide private health coverage for Thailand residents. The only country where the coverage is not available is in the United States. The cost is between 8,000 and 25,000 baht per year per individual. Family plans are available at a discount.

The guest speaker scheduled for the January 28 meeting is from Chiangmai Ram Hospital. This person will provide lots of good information about health care in Thailand. You do not want to miss this informative talk.

The meeting concluded with a drawing; the prize --- dinner for two at one of Chiangmai's finer restaurants (The Pub on Huay Kaew Road)

Second prize will be 2 meals at the Pub!!

Great thanks! :o

(from their website)

Edited by SBACM

Sorry, may have missed it , but what time does the 28th Jan meeting start?

Cheers

TP

TP,

I just copied this from the website for you . . .

Meeting 28th January 2006

To be Held at the Chiangmai Orchid Hotel, Huay Keaw Rd Starts at 1030 am

2nd floor in the main building

Dress neat/casual

Click here for map

Guest Speaker is:

from the Chiangmai Ram Hospital.

There is a small entrance fee to attend the meetings.

80 Baht for members

100 Baht for visitors

This will include the coffee break menu supplied by the Chiangmai Orchid Hotel. Coffee. tea, roll, fresh fruit.

A breakfast buffet is available at the hotel restaurant but is completely separate from the entrance fee.

JxP

I've been on their mailing list since they started...

Are they worth anything for those of us who've been around for awhile? Or is it mostly for farang-schmoozing?

I am sure it is for the latter. Couldn't imagine myself ever getting involved.

~

I usually don't like giving second-hand input but..

A friend has been going and reports good attendance but not what he expected (whatever that was).

Mostly younger guys, the majority of whom do not actually live here but seem to have some recurring interest. Well organized and lots of ideas. He and I are avid bikers and he was interested in their "motorcycle club" until he found out that most ride Honda Waves (us big-bike riders are a bit snooty, see?). Actually I can understand because the kind of riding we do ain't fit for what is basically a bicycle with a lawnmower engine.

I am considering making the next meeting just to see what's up so thanks for the info, youse guys!

Dustin 'em off...

I've been on their mailing list since they started...

Are they worth anything for those of us who've been around for awhile? Or is it mostly for farang-schmoozing?

Good point Ajarn, from the look of the posts in this discussion none of the posters in this thread are members.

Any members out there who could tell us more about the people who attend and what they are able to put into the club and, of course, receive in return?

JxP

Article in today's CM Mail

CEC January meeting again on the ‘up’

Phillip Johnson

o2-1-170.jpg

Alinda Chotinaruemol, health insurance representative from BUPA Health Insurance Agency.

Old and many new Chiang Mai expats gathered for the first meeting of the year on Saturday, January 14, at the Chiangmai Orchid Hotel. Vice-president Tom Matty welcomed everyone, and pointed out how the club has grown immensely since its inception in September 2005. Tom gave recognition to the many business establishments in the Chiang Mai area who give their support to CEC through generous donations and by offering discounts to members. He also reminded everyone that the annual membership dues are just 150 baht, while a lifetime membership costs only 600 baht.

Jim Cox, club president and founding member said that the club has a membership in excess of eighty expats, and is still growing.

A request for volunteers went out to the membership so that the club can continue offering the best information and programs not only to the club members, but also to Chiangmai in general.

Club secretary, Lucy Coombs reported that seventy-six people attended the last official meeting on December 10, 2005. At that meeting thirteen new members joined the club.

Horst Bruch, club member, shared information on several upcoming cultural events: Earth, Wind and Water at Luna Gallery, Art Cafe art exhibit, Forever Young in Bangkok presents the Backstreet Boys, new art exhibit at Chiangmai University, and the presentation of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Color Dream Coat musical at Kad Suan Kaew, organized by Voice Studio.

Guest speaker, Alinda Chotinaruemol, a health insurance representative from BUPA Health Insurance passed on information on worldwide private health coverage for Thailand residents. The only country where the coverage is not available is in the United States. The cost is between 8,000 and 25,000 baht per year per individual. Family plans are available at a discount.

Guest speaker, Alinda Chotinaruemol, a health insurance representative from BUPA Health Insurance passed on information on worldwide private health coverage for Thailand residents. The only country where the coverage is not available is in the United States. The cost is between 8,000 and 25,000 baht per year per individual. Family plans are available at a discount.

That cost must be for the cheapest plan and those in the bloom of youth. Those of us with a few more years under our belts, or wanting better cover, pay considerably more.

I have been insured by Bupa since I was a small child. They do give very good cover and look after you well. Each of my last few year's claims have totalled something around 300K for a premium of 75 or so.

That cost must be for the cheapest plan and those in the bloom of youth. Those of us with a few more years under our belts, or wanting better cover, pay considerably more.

I have been insured by Bupa since I was a small child. They do give very good cover and look after you well. Each of my last few year's claims have totalled something around 300K for a premium of 75 or so.

That caught my eye too - if anyone went to the meeting and has more details or contact info for K Alinda please post, if those numbers are possible then I could see a healthy increase in my beer money!

JxP

That caught my eye too - if anyone went to the meeting and has more details or contact info for K Alinda please post, if those numbers are possible then I could see a healthy increase in my beer money!

JxP

Bupa Bluecross offer cheap insurance packages if you only want to insure for inpatient treatment. This should cover you for major problems, but no payouts for outpatient treatment.

JxP, is that you & the mrs on the cover of feb's ubc magazine? :o

Edited by mobile69

Bupa Bluecross offer cheap insurance packages if you only want to insure for inpatient treatment. This should cover you for major problems, but no payouts for outpatient treatment.

JxP, is that you & the mrs on the cover of feb's ubc magazine? :D

I'll reserve my comments until the postman manages to find our house to deliver the new issue . . . . :o

JxP :D

I'll reserve my comments until the postman manages to find our house to deliver the new issue . . . . :o

JxP :D

Not arrived yet? Give your postie a boot up the backside!! Don't get paranoid over the cover, nothing to worry about :D

If you're talking about the main magazine then I guess you've seen through our costumes - it must be the lawn that gave it away! If you're talking about the 'Extra' magazine then I suppose we should take that as a compliment. :D

JxP

If you're talking about the main magazine then I guess you've seen through our costumes - it must be the lawn that gave it away! If you're talking about the 'Extra' magazine then I suppose we should take that as a compliment. :D

JxP

What "Extra" magazine?

btw Has the lawn been laid yet?

JxP

What "Extra" magazine?

btw Has the lawn been laid yet?

I think 'Extra' is the supplement that gets sent out to the mugs who subscribe to the full package of channels :o

Mission 'lawn' has been accomplished!

JxP

Khun Alinda is a student and friend of mine. As noted, the prices given above are for inpatient care only & the range given is for the most basic plan, the one I have! The low end is for younsters & the high end is for those with more seniority. If you're over 70, you're out of luck - BUPA won't insure you (though I seem to recall if you sign up before you turn 70 then you're covered until age 75 or somthing like that). I've got Alinda's contact info but I want to ask her first before I post it here. I'll see her on tomorrow & ask then.

Khun Alinda is a student and friend of mine. As noted, the prices given above are for inpatient care only & the range given is for the most basic plan, the one I have! The low end is for younsters & the high end is for those with more seniority. If you're over 70, you're out of luck - BUPA won't insure you (though I seem to recall if you sign up before you turn 70 then you're covered until age 75 or somthing like that). I've got Alinda's contact info but I want to ask her first before I post it here. I'll see her on tomorrow & ask then.

Thanks cm das.

JxP