Yasothon

appleman_thai

In my opinion, possibly the least attractive town in Isaan. I have been visiting there for 11 years sometimes even staying a few nights. It has the yearly rocket festival but I believe that was banned for a few years due to so many deaths.

It is hotter than a lot of Isaan and is always short of water -- except when it floods. My wife's family only started to plant rice last week. I had one great Songkran there 10 years back but now that sometimes doesn't happen because of the water shortage.

Don't know about the ex-pat scene but there was a similar topic in this forum around 6 months ago.

Biggest attraction is the excellent Big C a few kliks out of town.

I would try a two week stay in a hotel first -- some new ones built in the past few years.

Hi Appleman,

My wife's family lives a few Kms south of Yaso, so I am there quite often. I have yet to find a "Farang" bar or restaurant. but there are a few Farang friendly places. I usually stay at PP Masion Hotel in town. They have a nice Restaurant/Bar that usually has sports on. Not sure about English. Perhaps the bar at the JP Emerald hotel might have Football in English, not sure.

If you are a Golfer, there is a GREAT course (for Isaan) at the Army Base about 9 KM's north of town. Carts, Caddys, and a pretty course set in the forest.

Best of Luck

I've been living for a year and half in the rice fields about 40 minutes drive from Yasothon City.

Suited me fine at the time.

I moved into the city a few weeks ago with the objective of finding a decent place to live and to setup a small little business which my wife would run.

We've been looking for quite a while and driving in and out regularly. However, most places were booked already - most being booked off plans! I cant get over the number of new buildings going up all over the place!

The Green Park Hotel is definitely the best hotel..... new, clean and the Manager speaks excellent English. Its not expensive either.

I'll probably end up getting TRUE installed in my own place (when I get one) but every now and then I like to hang out with others to watch the football (ideally in English commentary).

I havent found a "farang" type bar at all yet but really there arent many farangs around either......

I laughed at the previous post about MK being the best night entertainment venue in Yasothon but really there are quite a few - but very much Thai!

A good place is WaanWan - no aircon but rustic old type feel to the place. Live music drowns out the football on the screens though!

Another late night place is Kingdom out near the Bus Station....

Hopefully I will find a place to setup my little business and maybe take it from there....

Sawtooth,

Will check out PP and JP as you mention. Thanks.

I used to play a lot of golf when I lived in Cha-am but havent played for a long time. Might get back into it. Saw a few golf ranges alright but I heard the course was basic.....and not even 9 holes! Maybe I'm wrong...... and probably worth checking it out anyway!

Malct

Yaso is more like a town than a city. Very laid back..... very Isaan and I actually love the place!

As for the comments about Rocket Festival, we spent 4 nights in the city this year and had an absolute ball! I had a few friends over too which made it all the more fun!

To be honest, the rocket part was disappointing - there are much better rocket shows at other places......they go on for months!

However, the festival itself was great fun. We got involved with one group who had their own stage and spent a lot of the time dancing on the stage with a great view of all the "professional" dancers! Plenty of beer consumed and some great snaps and memories.

Seems like it takes the town a year to recover from it though!!!

my wife is going to Visit her family In Feb Next year , So i might book into a local hotel for a couple of days, Just to get a feel of the place, I did meet a guy from the USA last year while shopping in Big C. He was saying that many westerners life out in the sticks.

OK - just in case anyone is interested I have been exploring the town over last few weeks and sussed out a few places to watch the football.

First off, there is no place that you can watch on True Visions with English commentary (unless in someones house)

Secondly, many of the places have True Visions and show the match on a big screen or TV but they have live music playing at the same time!

Thirdly, a few places dont have True but have Dreambox - however, I dont think they are going to work this season.

Finally, seems like the best place is one of a few small shops/restaurants that will show with Thai commentary.

To watch WITH Live Music there are:

Wan Waan and Dream Bar on WithiyaThamrong Road

To watch with Thai commentary:

Khao Tom restaurant on Main Raod - Chaeng Sanit (closes aat 4am!)

As a complete outside chance there is the Ice Bar where they have a Dreambox but also Internet and might stream it!

Enjoy the start of the season!

Edited by appleman_thai