Non O Based On Marriage Extension (Married In Uk)

Hi

I just have a question regarding the extension of my Non-immigrant O Visa based on marriage which I obtained just over a year ago in Kuala Lumpur.

I’ve read the list of requirements and I’m still not sure about the requirements in respect of the marriage certificate (we married in the UK before having a ceremony in Thailand).

In KL all that was required was a copy of my UK marriage certificate.

If I understand correctly for the extension I need to also have the marriage certificate translated into Thai?

I assume that I do not have to register the marriage in Thailand, as we are already married?

I’ve also read that I need a letter of evidence from my embassy. Is this correct and what is it?

How soon before the last date I can stay in the country can I apply for the extension?

Is there's anything else I've over looked regarding the marriage certificate?

Thanks again

Believe the procedure is visit Embassy for there confirmation of marriage certificate and translation into Thai of these and then registration at MFA and then recording at a District Office (same procedure as marriage but recording that you are already married) and then you get paperwork from District Office for your extension of stay from Immigration. The translations/legalization is required as District Office only works with Thai documents.

You can apply for extension up until the last days of a 90 day visa entry but best to do with 20 to 30 days remaining to have extra time if more paperwork is required.

You will need to have your marriage certificate translated to Thai and have it certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (translator can get it done). Then go to the Amphoe and have the marriage registered. Her ID card (she can keep her maiden name if she wishes) and house book will also be updated. This all would be needed if you want to get an extension of stay.

I went to British Consulate on Tuesday and now the fee for a "Affirmation letter" is 3125 baht. Across there is a department store and on the 2nd floor there is a nice guy who will do a translation from eng-thai or vise-vesa at a reasonable rate and it is accepted. I did look at what other consulates charge for the affirmation style letter and was shocked to see that the US consulate do it for 50%less then the UK.

I went to British Consulate on Tuesday and now the fee for a "Affirmation letter" is 3125 baht. Across there is a department store and on the 2nd floor there is a nice guy who will do a translation from eng-thai or vise-vesa at a reasonable rate and it is accepted. I did look at what other consulates charge for the affirmation style letter and was shocked to see that the US consulate do it for 50%less then the UK.

Yep, get used to it "Rip Off Britain" even gets us out here.

The Embassy letter for confirming my pension is 2150 Baht. They need to see proof of the pension then write at the bottom of the letter 'The British Embassy accept no responsibility for the contents of this document'

Great innit!!

• 2 weeks later...

The OP does not a need an affirmation of permit to marry. He is already married.

Glad to see that the US embassy is less of rip off than another one.

I paid ฿5100.- at the Swiss embassy, any more offers to top that?