A Job For A Non-native Speakers In The Academe

Buki

What jobs are open to a non-native speaker in the academic profession. Most ads are looking for native speakers and I feel that I am already disqualified on the basis of this preference. Though I sound like a native speaker; and I have credentials and experiences that are considered commendable but still it doesn't amout to it all. *sighs

Any suggestions guys? What do I need to do?

Buki, in this business in Thailand, sometimes the people who are doing the selections and the hiring can be terribly xenophobic and racist. For example, among those who have had enough exposure to Filipinos, it's understood that they'll work for less than a White of European extraction, that they work hard and try hard, and that SOME of them speak excellent English.

You need to find a way through the maze. If you have a phone number to contact, that might be your best initial contact. If they hear your speech, they might look for the resume that you're sending in the next few minutes. Even an ad, with a phone number, that specifies the nationalities (and they always forget the Irish), might make an exception after they've heard you for a minute or two.

Good luck.

Buki, in this business in Thailand, sometimes the people who are doing the selections and the hiring can be terribly xenophobic and racist. For example, among those who have had enough exposure to Filipinos, it's understood that they'll work for less than a White of European extraction, that they work hard and try hard, and that SOME of them speak excellent English.

You need to find a way through the maze. If you have a phone number to contact, that might be your best initial contact. If they hear your speech, they might look for the resume that you're sending in the next few minutes. Even an ad, with a phone number, that specifies the nationalities (and they always forget the Irish), might make an exception after they've heard you for a minute or two.

Good luck.

Yep, I've done that. There were schools who asked for my resume after my call and told me to wait for a week or so, but there were who just turned me down. They told me about the "parents factor". But I am not rushing things at the moment. I am taking it a step at a time. But I think it is still a stiff competition, choosing between a native speaking asian to a native speaker. But the native speakers get the upper hand. Good luck to me! hehehhehe

Can you teach something other than English itself? With a degree in something other than English a lot of universities here wouldn't say no, I think...do you have a B.A. or also an M.A.? And in the case of universities, parents aren't really a factor...here in ABAC I see plenty of Asian teachers, even for English, but they do need an M.A.

Can you teach something other than English itself? With a degree in something other than English a lot of universities here wouldn't say no, I think...do you have a B.A. or also an M.A.? And in the case of universities, parents aren't really a factor...here in ABAC I see plenty of Asian teachers, even for English, but they do need an M.A.

I do have a degree in B.A. of English Langauge and M.A. on Development Communications. But I heard that teachers teaching in thai universities are poorly paid even with a Masters. Compared back home, University professors and lecturers are compensated very well.

Aside from general English subjects and advanced English subjects and Literatiure, I can teach general-communications subjects, business English, communication through production, applied linguistics, TESL, TEFL, technical writing, report writingL... actually a lot. My B.A. is very general and it includes a lot of education prerequisites. My M.A. on the other hand is geared to the communications side, like speech classes, Public Speaking, effective communications, media productions and a lot more.

but the bulk of experience comes from ESL teaching with Koreans, Chinese and Japanese, whom I know who has a different outlook in education acquisition.

But it is difficult to market myself in a different standard of Education.

Edited by Buki

As has been said already there are plenty of Filipinos working within the teaching industry in Thailand. From what I can see, they seem to get their teaching jobs either through friends of friends that are already working at a school or by applying for just about any teaching job that is going, in the hope that they will get one job offer.

Edited by Spit the Dog

From my experience, universities usually want native English speakers to teach English but are open to non-native speakers to teach other subjects. It really depends on how good your English and other qualifications are, why would they hire you instead of using one of their existing Thai professors with a Ph.D. to teach? As far as the typical language school, they seem to prefer native speakers, and since they can find native English speakers willing to work for 250 Baht an hour, why bother with non-native speakers? I'm sure there are execptions through. As far as government high schools and other 'entry-level" teaching jobs, they can be quite flexible on qualifications, nationality, and accents, but the pay is pretty minimal as well.

As far as universities paying low wages in comparison to universities in the developed world, of course. The per capita GDP of Thailand is about 7% of the US per Capita GDP (about 10% of the UK per capita GDP), so naturally "comparative" jobs will pay less here than in the West. Of course if you decide to teach here, you will want to get paid as much as possible, but if getting paid a high wage is one of your top three priorities in life, cross teaching in Thailand off your list of possible occupations.

What jobs are open to a non-native speaker in the academic profession. Most ads are looking for native speakers and I feel that I am already disqualified on the basis of this preference. Though I sound like a native speaker; and I have credentials and experiences that are considered commendable but still it doesn't amout to it all. *sighs

Any suggestions guys? What do I need to do?

How's your English? It look pretty good judging by your post. I've met 4 English teachers in the last year who are non-native speakers, 2 Romanians, 1 Swede and a Canadian. Admittedly 2 of them spoke English excellently while the Swede and Canadian had very strong accents and spoke less than perfectly. So apply for English teaching jobs, you should get something. I think that some employers are more interested in having a Farang in the classroom regardless of ability. Good luck.

How's your English? It look pretty good judging by your post. I've met 4 English teachers in the last year who are non-native speakers, 2 Romanians, 1 Swede and a Canadian. Admittedly 2 of them spoke English excellently while the Swede and Canadian had very strong accents and spoke less than perfectly. So apply for English teaching jobs, you should get something. I think that some employers are more interested in having a Farang in the classroom regardless of ability. Good luck.

Canadians non-native speakers? Eh? So that would definitely mean that Aussies and Kiwis as well are non-native speakers. :o

Canadians non-native speakers? Eh? So that would definitely mean that Aussies and Kiwis as well are non-native speakers. :o

Quebec.

Quebec.

Wee, wee. :D

Canadians non-native speakers? Eh? So that would definitely mean that Aussies and Kiwis as well are non-native speakers. :D

Quebec.

Wee, wee. :D

darn french canadians :o:D after reading your post, I need to go pee pee

Edited by Misplaced

Unfortunately, Buki, the double standard is a fact of life here. Even if you were an absolute native speaker with the best credentials- but had an Asian face- you would still be somewhat discriminated against, because the parents equate foreigner=white face (even if that face is actually German and not a native speaker).

You can expect to be making a fair bit less than those with white faces doing the same job, even if they're incompetent and you're not.

No, it's probably not right in your individual case. Maybe if you're really good you can get lucky and find an interviewer who actually pays attention to your skills (mostly likely a foreigner) and a boss who doesn't care that you're not white (that should probably be a foreigner, too).

"Steven"

Unfortunately, Buki, the double standard is a fact of life here. Even if you were an absolute native speaker with the best credentials- but had an Asian face- you would still be somewhat discriminated against, because the parents equate foreigner=white face (even if that face is actually German and not a native speaker).

You can expect to be making a fair bit less than those with white faces doing the same job, even if they're incompetent and you're not.

No, it's probably not right in your individual case. Maybe if you're really good you can get lucky and find an interviewer who actually pays attention to your skills (mostly likely a foreigner) and a boss who doesn't care that you're not white (that should probably be a foreigner, too).

"Steven"

To be honest Steven, I am getting discouraged with my situation. Though, my friends are telling me not to hurry. But I gotta keep trying.

• 3 weeks later...
To be honest Steven, I am getting discouraged with my situation. Though, my friends are telling me not to hurry. But I gotta keep trying.

Please PM me, Buki. I have a couple of connections for you...IF you consider living outside of Bangkok.