Possible To Buy Matcha?

ForumUsername

Chiang Mai has a VERY large Japanese community. You can find just about everything in the supermarkets (even the same brands) as you'll find in Japan.

Hi FG, is there anywhere you recommend specifically? I have a feeling it wont be in the two TOPS that I know of, though I will look.

Chiang Mai has a VERY large Japanese community. You can find just about everything in the supermarkets (even the same brands) as you'll find in Japan.

Hi FG, is there anywhere you recommend specifically? I have a feeling it wont be in the two TOPS that I know of, though I will look.

Try Rimping. There were always a gaggle of Japanese housewives shopping there every time I'm there!

Most of the chain coffee shops sell it, same with TESCO and TOPS. We recently bought some in Mae Sai for super cheap. If you're ever up there its worth stocking up.

Hi can you give more detail which shops/where in Mae Sai they sell this ? thanks

The shop is in the shopping area on the left side of the bridge. It on the left side of the road as you are walking away from the the birdge, maybe about 100m. from the beginning or the market.

she was very very nice and let us go through a full course of tea tasting, explaining what the different teas were, their different grades and the nuances to look for in each tasting.

The Matcha was listed at something like 120B per 100g, but she offered it at 600B/kg without us even asking.

here is her card:

post-106420-0-81885400-1344649601_thumb.

Most of the chain coffee shops sell it, same with TESCO and TOPS. We recently bought some in Mae Sai for super cheap. If you're ever up there its worth stocking up.

Hi can you give more detail which shops/where in Mae Sai they sell this ? thanks

Edited by CMSteve

Try Doi Tung or Wawee. I don't think all branches will have it so look for the ones selling packaged teas. Or try the supermarkets, they should all have some.

Hi CMSteve,

Could you give an example of any coffee chains? All I've read is about how hard it is to get (especially in Europe) and people having to order online, so I'm surprised (and very happy) with these answers. I'll check out TOPS and Tesco today.

Rimping Nawarat (near the river) didn't have any Matcha tea, except some sweetened crap.

TOPS Airport Plaza didn't have any Matcha either...

Are you sure you're talking about matcha and not sencha, bancha or other sorts of japanese powder tea?

Edited by kristofferR

I think I purchased some Matcha at TOPS in Kad Sun Kaew. It's called OISHA OITCHA (can't remember exactly) and my girlfriend - who speaks fluent Japanese - tells me they're the same.

Might be wrong...but I did find something actually labelled Matcha in a friends restaurant by chance.

I like matcha very much, and used occasionally to drink it in Japan, very, very occasionally at traditional tea ceremonies. I even have a whisk for making matcha, although I have never used it. This thread had piqued my interest in whether matcha is sold in Chiangmai. My wife, who is Japanese (but who has never actually looked for it here), thinks it is very unlikely that real matcha would be sold here, given that even most Japanese do not drink or use it, other than in a formal tea ceremony. I will look, though, in the stores mentioned, and if I find any, will report back.

• 2 weeks later...

Heheey, guess what! Today they actually had "real" unsweetened Matcha in Rimping Nawarat! biggrin.png

It wasn't Japanese matcha, it was Thai actually. "From the northern Thai highlands...". Produced right here in Chiang Mai by Raming Tea funnily enough, weird it was so hard to find.

This is what it looks like:

1333509758_Matcha-01.jpg

I've had my first cup and it was really good. It's amazingly cheap too, just 299THB for 250g. That's the best deal you're ever gonna get on drinking grade matcha. It might not be Japanese as Matcha is supposed to be, but just as fake "champagne" from California can taste amazing, so can Matcha from Thailand apparently.

Edited by kristofferR

• 8 years later...

You can buy matcha drinks like matcha latte, different matcha grades (premium grades imported japanese matcha, and also northern thailand matchas)  hot/cold, and also have vegan options like matcha coconut water or matcha soda. Also sells organic white tea and oolong loose leaf teas, grown in Thailand with taiwanese know-how (lot of  tea  grown in Thailand is exported and sold back to Taiwan, lot of taiwanese influence in tea industry in Thailand)
FB: <<<<Link removed>>>>
Location on google maps: <<<<Link removed>>>>