Mae Sot Hit By Floods As Moei Bursts It Banks

webfact

INUNDATION

Mae Sot hit by floods as Moei bursts it banks

The Nation

30188072-01_big.JPG

MAE SOT: -- Vendors in Tak's Mae Sot district were forced to suspend business on Friday when the Moei River burst its banks following days of heavy rain.

About 100 border patrol police and rescuers rushed to the scene to help evacuate the vendors from the flooding, which was about 50 centimetres deep.

About 300 shops operate along the bank of the river, which demarcates the border between Thailand and Myanmar.

A rescue centre was set up to help affected residents in Tambon Thasailuad area.

The floods also reached downtown Mae Sot after water overflowed the spillway of a reservoir. Police had to divert vehicles from Rachakarn Rassadorn Damri 2 and roads around Mae Sot's district office, which were under 70 cm of water.

Mae Sot Municipality has been declared an emergency zone following torrential rains over the past month, which have caused reservoirs and rivers to overflow.

Water in Mae Sot reservoir, located in Tambon Pra That Pha Daeng, overflowed on to the spillway and increased the level of water in creeks, triggering floods in the municipality around 10am.

The municipality office has issued a flood warning for local people to evacuate and move their personal belonging to higher places.

Meanwhile in Chiang Mai province, Tassanai Buranapakorn, mayor of Chiang Mai Municipality, had inspected 10 flood barriers along Mae Ping river after heavy rain in the area over the past two weeks.

Last year, more than 800 cubic metres of water per second flowed pass Chiang Mai Municipality but the capacity of Mae Ping River was able to handle only 500 cubic metres of water per second.

The authorities were not able to increase the river's capacity due to construction blocking the flow. There were also no water retention areas in the municipality.

"We hope that these 10 barriers will prevent Chiang Mai City from flooding this year," Tassanai added.

However, he said Pa Prao Nok community is at risk of flooding as it is in a low-lying area. The municipality could not finish the barrier construction in time for this year's rainy season and will therefore build a temporary dyke and install water pumps to drain water from this area.

Meanwhile, Thai Meteorological Department reported that the northern and northeastern provinces of Thailand can expect heavy rain during next two days. Light rain showers are forecast for Bangkok and nearby provinces

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-10

Wonder if the immigration office is still open? Friend of mine is making a run down there tomorrow.

Should not be a problem, the photo show's the market next to the river and that's MT below the Thai immigration office. As for the Burma side well that's a different kettle of fish it still should be ok though.

Mae Sot declared disaster zone after Moei River breaks banks

Somjit Rungchamrasrassami,

Aekaphong Praditphong

The Nation

30188120-01_big.JPG

MAE SOT: -- Vendors in Tak's Mae Sot district were forced to suspend business yesterday when the Moei River burst its banks following days of heavy rain.

About 100 border patrol police officers and rescuers rushed to the scene to help evacuate the area, which was under about 50 centimetres of water. About 300 shops operate along the bank of the river, which demarcates the border between Thailand and Myanmar.

The floods also reached downtown Mae Sot after the spillway of the Mae Sot Reservoir overflowed. Police had to divert traffic from Rachakarn Rassadorn Damri 2 as well as roads near the Mae Sot district office, which were under 70cm of water.

Authorities declared Mae Sot Municipality an emergency zone, and advised residents to evacuate the area and move their belongings to higher land.

Meanwhile, Tassanai Buranapakorn, mayor of Chiang Mai Municipality, inspected the 10 flood barriers along the Mae Ping River to see if they were holding up now that it has been raining heavily for two weeks now.

Last year, more than 800 cubic metres of water per second flowed past Chiang Mai Municipality, though the Mae Ping River was only able to handle 500 cubic metres of water per second. Authorities were not able to increase the river's capacity because structures were blocking the flow. Plus there are no water retention areas in the municipality.

"We hope these barriers will prevent Chiang Mai City from flooding this year," Tassanai said, adding that the Pa Prao Nok community was at risk of inundation because it is based in a low-lying area.

Since the authorities have not been able to complete the barrier in time for this year's rainy season, they have decided to build a temporary dyke instead and install water pumps to drain the area.

Meanwhile, the Thai Meteorological Department reported that provinces in the North and the Northeast can expect heavy rain for the next couple of days, while Bangkok and neighbouring provinces can expect light rain showers.

In a related development, local residents reported a slight tremor in Uttaradit's Ban Khok district yesterday morning, but there were no instances of damage, Somboon Kositanon, director of the mineral resources office in Lampang, said. Official reports said a quake of 3.1 magnitude, with its epicentre in the district, had hit the area at 8.01am yesterday.

Somboon said the earthquake had been caused by a slide in the Nan-Uttaradit faultline. This quake was of the highest magnitude this year in the area, compared to the 2.8-magnitude tremor that struck Chiang Rai's Thoeng district on January 31 and then another in the province's Muang district on April 5.

Thanarat Phummakasikorn, director of the Sirikit Dam, said the quake's epicentre was 13 kilometres underground and about 62.5 kilometres from the dam. He confirmed that the quake had had no impact on the dam, which was still open to tourists.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-11

I am trying to think of something sarcastic to say, but the whole story simply leaves me blank with exasperation. Ahhh... here it goes...

Imagine being forced to stop what you are doing because nature is knocking on your door... AGAIN! Imagine not being able to do what you want to do and to be able to ignore the obvious! How irritating can that be for a simple mind?

Man makes plans, God laughs.

Leastaways they make plans, unlike the realm where the old head in the sand, or a visit to a temple is the standard 'fix all panacea'

and the world looks on and laughs coffee1.gif

Edited by johnlandy

I do really think that this abject government should call time on making brazen claims that inevitably come back to haunt them later....Bangkok will not flood.....there will be no more floods next year etc: Why don't they just try to sort the country out and look after the interests of the people instead of feathering their own nests and worrying about the concerns of one selfish b******!!!!!

Yes,right on the money,oops!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I do really think that this abject government should call time on making brazen claims that inevitably come back to haunt them later....Bangkok will not flood.....there will be no more floods next year etc: Why don't they just try to sort the country out and look after the interests of the people instead of feathering their own nests and worrying about the concerns of one selfish b******!!!!!

Now this is what I call a reality check!!!!! Excellent post......

Kerry

• Like 2

Now this is what I call a reality check!!!!! Excellent post......

Kerry

+1

I am trying to think of something sarcastic to say, but the whole story simply leaves me blank with exasperation. Ahhh... here it goes...

Imagine being forced to stop what you are doing because nature is knocking on your door... AGAIN! Imagine not being able to do what you want to do and to be able to ignore the obvious! How irritating can that be for a simple mind?

I was wondering if there forefathers set up cities in areas subject to flood or did they stay back from those areas. I know here in Chiang Mai the old city is over a mile away from the river.

Or is that some more of the western progress we brought them.

Actually it can be iritating for an educated mind too. I was flooded for over 2 months and it has a serious impact on a person. Just comment on it after you lived through something like that.

People buy cheap land in a flood plane, build low, then complain to the people who buy the more expensive dry land or the poele who buy truck loads of rock and fill to build on.

On another subject, What Floods She said... cheesy.gif

Edited by jcw

Here here. Now, if only some of the indigenous population would stand up and echo these words instead of worrying if they're going to upset anyone's feelings. It is the duty of this, past and future governments to protect the people.

• Like 1

Actually it can be iritating for an educated mind too. I was flooded for over 2 months and it has a serious impact on a person. Just comment on it after you lived through something like that.

I am commenting on it, and I had lived through something like that, but I did not wait for two months.

I moved!

I did not think this information mattered towards my opinion. I am glad this is not an article about living in prison, or murder, because I could not satisfy the implied requirement of experiencing this in order to express an opinion.biggrin.png

Man makes plans, God laughs.

Couldn't have said it better myself....

Kerry

Well for me it would be to replace God with nature. I'm born with genes that make me an atheist, or better an agnostic. Just can't understand that someone has that power only to let us suffer. Morbid and cruel, and not my friend. Please don't try an explain his reasons, he dosen't exist to me and so every explaination is irrational to me, and just plain babble.

Gonna build in the high ground anyway. Cooler in the mountains and love the view.

Thats a bit of an ignorant thing to say ( How irritating can that be for a simple mind?) :(

• Like 1

Does anybody know if this is affecting the Mae Sot refugee camp?

Most of the camps are half way between Mae Sot and Umphang on a hill side. No reports bad from UNHCR as yet so I believe these camps are safe for now. We do nature and culture tours in the area of Umphang and visit the camps, lots of rain but not like 4 years ago.

Cheers,

Randy