Night Life In Ubon Ratchathani

Commander Tamson

I agree with you that it would be nice to have an international quality disco/nightclub in Ubon that stays open after midnight and that Mix is a cr@p example (but is one of the few places humming after 1am).

All the other examples of such in Thailand seem to be in international-type places, though CT, and at least supported in part by a foreign clientele. Aint going to happen in any of Thailand's small cities.

Give it time - you'll adapt to the pace and place. For many, that includes taking R&R breaks in BKK, Pats etc!

Thanks for the support Santisuk and Time is on my Side

I agree with you that it would be nice to have an international quality disco/nightclub in Ubon that stays open after midnight and that Mix is a cr@p example (but is one of the few places humming after 1am).

All the other examples of such in Thailand seem to be in international-type places, though CT, and at least supported in part by a foreign clientele. Aint going to happen in any of Thailand's small cities.

Give it time - you'll adapt to the pace and place. For many, that includes taking R&R breaks in BKK, Pats etc!

Well let's find out about all of these big BKK style night clubs. Evidently if you show any boredom in Ubon you are doing it wrong. Let's get the cat out of the bag so to speak. I am all ears. Perhaps if I want to find exciting things in Ubon I should change my tone?

• 8 months later...

I read this site with amusement. Commander Tamsom must be in his early 20s and his girlfriend too, to frequent U-Bar and MIX (be careful at MIX bombs have explored there in past years when it was called the CAVE). Seriously, there are dozens of night spots far better than MIX and U-bar. Places where one can dance, drink, relax and enjoy excellent music. Get your knees up so to speak. There are even the old fashion places where one can do the rock-can-rock, quick step- etc. with girls by the hour. But we are not going to tell you our Ubon secrets You have come on too strong.. You could lower the tone of the place. You are an outsider.

Hunter Maxwell, I am aghast! You are a pillar of Ubon society so I am shocked that you would know anything about night clubs, drinking and *gasp* girls by the hour.

• 5 weeks later...

If Ubon has any secret nightlife spots, they're still secret to me.

The best place in town to eat and listen to live western pop/ light rock and a few Thai songs is Smile. Feelings is similar but their band isn't as tight.

Best place for drinks by the bottle and harder and louder western rock/pop is Ant terrace/Gee Exclusive club. Loud hard techno played between multiple live bands taking the stage. We were there until after 2:00 on a Sunday night and they were still going strong.

There's a great place on the western ring road that plays Thai rock and has an elaborate stage show. I don't recall the name but it's a huge wooden building that reminds me of something out of the old west in the U.S.

I don't know of any places where farangs can go in and chat in English with Thai women over a drink. Check out Chawalani Rd. after 8pm. It's full of small bars with primarily women sitting around outside after the sun goes down. . I suspect it's mainly "karaoke" for Thai men. I've never stopped to find out.

I think some of the most popular nightspots are the restaurants around Huai Wang Nong. Lots of places with loud music and crowds of Ubonites out eating. Probably not what most foreigners are looking for though.

• Like 2

If Ubon has any secret nightlife spots, they're still secret to me.

The best place in town to eat and listen to live western pop/ light rock and a few Thai songs is Smile. Feelings is similar but their band isn't as tight.

Best place for drinks by the bottle and harder and louder western rock/pop is Ant terrace/Gee Exclusive club. Loud hard techno played between multiple live bands taking the stage. We were there until after 2:00 on a Sunday night and they were still going strong.

There's a great place on the western ring road that plays Thai rock and has an elaborate stage show. I don't recall the name but it's a huge wooden building that reminds me of something out of the old west in the U.S.

I don't know of any places where farangs can go in and chat in English with Thai women over a drink. Check out Chawalani Rd. after 8pm. It's full of small bars with primarily women sitting around outside after the sun goes down. . I suspect it's mainly "karaoke" for Thai men. I've never stopped to find out.

I think some of the most popular nightspots are the restaurants around Huai Wang Nong. Lots of places with loud music and crowds of Ubonites out eating. Probably not what most foreigners are looking for though.

Ant is now my place of choice. The coyotes are pretty damn sexy too. This f'ing curfew has put a stop to it all. Had hoped to make a night (and a morning ) of it on Saturday. <deleted>!