Treatment Of Big Fish.

kawapower

It's great to hook then land a very big fish, It's not good to then have a picture taken and drop the fish onto the ground, It's also not good to throw said big fish back into the lake from chest height, these fish need to be treated with care, pictures should be taken whilst close to the ground, they also need to recover before allowing them to swim away, why do people have no thought when it comes to fish care!! Just because we are in Thailand it does no mean we have to behave like many others!!

When I fish I make sure I have the correct equipment, large landing net, large weigh sling, unhooking pliers etc some people I have seen have nothing yet they are fishing for big fish, don't understand it but what can you do!!

Edited by kawapower

I tried for many years to influence Thai guides, fisheries and anglers to treat all the fish they catch with care. It mostly had no impact. Although for a while after taking unhooking mats on Bungsamran for about 4 years...one day the owner decided to put pieces of black rubber matting on the hard wooden decks, stating "our idea was very good". They wasn't very functional and they have mostly since all disappeared again. And like you say it seems in the end many western anglers sensibilities get diluted also and people simply stop caring about fish. Just becuase Mekongs are so tough isnt an excuse to throw them around, but that seems to be where many people end up, but the way fisheryies out here are set up certainly does not help or make for easy fish handling.

This has been one fo the many reasons I have ended up building my owner fishery....so I can actually create a pleasant fishing environment for myself and for our angling visitors, where the lake is designed to make fishing handling in the water easy (water up to the waist in the margins on a flat surface, water within inches of the swim, not several feet away!)

I tried for many years to influence Thai guides, fisheries and anglers to treat all the fish they catch with care. It mostly had no impact. Although for a while after taking unhooking mats on Bungsamran for about 4 years...one day the owner decided to put pieces of black rubber matting on the hard wooden decks, stating "our idea was very good". They wasn't very functional and they have mostly since all disappeared again. And like you say it seems in the end many western anglers sensibilities get diluted also and people simply stop caring about fish. Just becuase Mekongs are so tough isnt an excuse to throw them around, but that seems to be where many people end up, but the way fisheryies out here are set up certainly does not help or make for easy fish handling.

This has been one fo the many reasons I have ended up building my owner fishery....so I can actually create a pleasant fishing environment for myself and for our angling visitors, where the lake is designed to make fishing handling in the water easy (water up to the waist in the margins on a flat surface, water within inches of the swim, not several feet away!)

It's sad to say but fish care in this country means nothing, It's disgusting to see so many people treat the fish here so badly but there is nothing to be done other than do your own thing, I think Gillhams might be the only fishery to give the very best care to the fish that are caught, it's a shame the owner is such a miserable git and the cost for fishing high, what is your fishery called and what are the charges?

Your quote regarding the way fisheries are set up is no excuse for dropping a very big Carp on to the floor from chest height, or throwing this fish back into the lake again from chest height, grass or concrete, why do so many choose to put the fish onto concrete when the grass is inches away?

Edited by kawapower

Gilhams the fish was treated well, palm tree i did not like the place for reasons i posted a long time ago but they treated the fish decent. Bungsamran they treat the fish in general not good. Shadow lake.. not great dependin on the person who is fishing.

I just do my bit but in the end i cant change the world

Gilhams the fish was treated well, palm tree i did not like the place for reasons i posted a long time ago but they treated the fish decent. Bungsamran they treat the fish in general not good. Shadow lake.. not great dependin on the person who is fishing.

I just do my bit but in the end i cant change the world

No we cant change the world but as a Falang there is no excuse in treating these fish badly!! Some people just have no consideration or interest in doing what is right.

kawapower,

Agreed. You need to get in touch with these guys:-

http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-in-entertainment/fishing.aspx

They may have the answers.

Tom.

Good site but I am not on a crusade, just airing my views regarding the bad handling of big fish, I do my own thing, trying to change the views and actions of others in this country would be a waste of time.

Edited by kawapower