Another Topic About Tea (Sorry!)..Yerba Mate'..

eek

Adding another food related thread to the Chiang Mai forum, wish to ask if anyone has ever seen Yerba Mate' for sale in Chiang Mai?

Realise its a bit of a long shot really, but thought i would ask.

Thanks!

Nope. Been looking for ages. Grew up with the stuff, while living in South America. I have found a website out of the UK with reasonable prices and ok shipping rates. Perhaps consider going 50 50 on shipping? PM me for more details.

One of the factories I contacted in Paraguay, wanted me to buy a container full!

I'm am very interrested in this tea too, like to join the club if someone orders.

Well I presume it has a good taste. But what makes it worth importing from South America?

I've never seen it here. It's an originally South American tea. Import from US or EU will be more expensive.

The tea has some pleasant benefits and taste good.

You can drink it cold or hot. Never boil the leaves, as they burn easily. Very tasty. Different variations (with or without "palos"..stems) and choice of smoked or non smoked flavor.

Have not had it in 20 odd years. The site out of the UK has them in teabags or by the kilo. You can go all local and use the gourd cup and the straw if you do not like tea bags.

Anyways, google TERERE or yerba mate, and yerba mate gourds. You will see what I am talking about.

Some variations they add a heavy caffeinated fruit seed to give you energy, a special South American fruit seed. Others are just natural tasting.

Anyone interested, pm me and I will send the link. It has all the info on what they sell and how much, as well as worldwide shipping info.

If we all order some stuff, the shipping will be pretty reasonable.

If someone needs info for their very first taste of this tea, let me know in this forum. I will try to recommend a blend.

Yerba Mate tea might be a good news/bad news cup. Possibly preventing colon cancer, but maybe causing other cancers.

This from Science Daily earlier this year. "ScienceDaily (Jan. 23, 2012) — Could preventing colon cancer be as simple as developing a taste for yerba mate tea? In a recent University of Illinois study, scientists showed that human colon cancer cells die when they are exposed to the approximate number of bioactive compounds present in one cup of this brew, which has long been consumed in South America for its medicinal properties." Full story

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/01/120123115539.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily%2Fhealth_medicine%2Falternative_medicine+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Health+%26+Medicine+News+--+Alternative+Medicine%29

But it is also a suspected carcinogen. From Wikipedia. "Mate consumption is associated with oral cancer[13] esophagus cancer, cancer of the larynx,[14] and squamous cell of the head and neck.[15][16] The mechanism is believed to be due to the effect of temperature and the evidence to support this association is strong." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_mate

I drink it from one of these: mate-gourd.jpg

My brother sends me over some at Christmas along with other things from Argentina, i just wanted to know if it might be available here, as i would like to use more than he sends but feel rather cheeky to ask him for more, seeing as its a gift.

...I wish i could ask him to send over more guys, then i could help you out too, but concerned it would be an imposition.

Edit: Actually..I could always ask him though..if there isnt any other more cost effective way. But as a one off.

If there is enough people wanting this, i could ask how much each one plus the postage is, and we divide it. He is a busy man though, so will have to ask tactfully and keep my fingers crossed!

Edit 2: whats the chances of there being any tax added on to this? Ive never had it happen before, but they might get funny about just a box of yerba!

As an aside, im visiting Australia soon. Maybe they have some gold coast/brisbane way?

Edited by eek

Miss Eek, I like the improvement on the cat - chocolate added on now.

There's actually a large number of Brazilians in town who mostly work in tobacco, and they're very nice people. It's common for them to travel back from a home visit with up to 10x kilo bags of mate as it's only a couple dollars to them down there. I had one friend just give me a bag when I asked if he knew where to get it locally. I suggest you try to infiltrate the Brazilian syndicate. They're only a degree or two away from some of the people you n I have in common.

• Like 1

Hi Eek,

It is available in Oz , don;t specifically know about the Gold Coast or Brisbane tho. Most "Health Food" shops sell it but it ain't on the cheap end of the scale . The south American communities would most likey be a better source,

I have been talking to an workmate who originates from Agentina and we have been talking about seeds/cutting to see if it grow in the Chaing Mai area , May be a nice hobby crop.

• Like 1

• 8 years later...
On 8/13/2012 at 11:30 PM, CobraSnakeNecktie said:

this Iherb company is pretty good and I heard about on TV. Reasonable shipping (about $6 for orders under $80) and lot of people in Thailand using them.

http://www.iherb.com/Yerba-Mate

OMG! They have Mate Factor mate'!!! That is the brand that I drank all the time! ( I actually was a member of the Twelve Tribes Communities for 7 years that produces it) It is the best FRESH Mate you can find! Not smoked and organic! If you put your mate' in your French Press and pour just a little cold water on the leaves, let it sit for a few minutes, it releases the chloroform in it (hot water directly shocks it and it doesn't release) and then pour your hot water in and let it steep for a bit, it comes out tasting sweeter and a bit like wheat grass juice! This stuff is truly a blessing from God! The stimulant in it does not make you jittery or drop you like a rock when it is done like coffee... You gotta try it!!!