Thaivisa.Com Blocks All Yahoo Email Addresses From Today

george

Dear Members,

Due to delivery problems with all types of email addresses by Yahoo.com, Yahoo.co.uk etc etc including Rocketmail.com, we have today banned all Yahoo email addresses to sign up with thaivisa.

Blocked from today 2012-08-13:

yahoo.com

yahoo.com.* (all country specific yahoo email addresses)

yahoo.co.* (all country specific yahoo email addresses)

Hotmail.com and Live.com addresses will probably be blocked as well shortly.

STEP 1: Please change your forum email address to something else than Yahoo!

We urge all members to choose other email provider than Yahoo to ensure that you will receive newsletters and email notifications from thaivisa.

If you currently using a Yahoo email address on Thaivisa, we urge you to change to something else, like gmail.com or similar

To change your email address, just go here:

http://www.thaivisa....core&area=email

IMPORTANT: You will get a confirmation email to your new email address, and you need to click on the confirmation link in that email!

STEP 2: Change your email address for our newsletter as well.

Go here: http://www.thaivisa.com/353.0.html

- Unsubscribe your Yahoo email address

- Subscribe with another email address than Yahoo

We apologize for any inconvenience!

/Admin

--------------------------------------------

UPDATE 2012-08-14:

Valued Members,

As expected, our announcement regarding problems with Yahoo email addresses has caused some concern amongst existing members. We apologise if this sudden announcement has caused any confusion, but the decision, and it was not an easy one, was made with the interests of you, and future members in mind.

For over a year now there has been issues with Yahoo emails reaching our customers. Thaivisa relies on emails for not only our newsletters, but for changed passwords, new registrations, support inquiries, and much more. Altogether that adds up to nearly a quarter of a million emails per day. With so many emails being exchanged between Thaivisa and it's members being blocked, or mis-directed, it got to the point where drastic action was needed to prevent further problems.

This means that new users will not be able to sign up using Yahoo accounts. While that may cost us some members, the problems with confirmation emails had already gotten to the point that it was costing us many new members as it is, so the unfortunate call had to be made, but it only affects new sign ups. That is all. No existing accounts will be affected. Existing members can continue to use Yahoo for interactions with Thaivisa. You may have some communication issues, but they do not rest with Thaivisa. The problem is Yahoo.

We do not recommend any particular alternative, nor do we have any interest in an alternative email provider. In fact your ISP email is probably the least troublesome. Large providers (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) tend to be the most troublesome.

We did not make this decision in haste. To be perfectly honest, no matter what we did, or did not do, issues beyond our control determined that our members were going to be inconvenienced, and for that we're sorry. However, in the long term we think that this course of action will ultimately be better for all of us, and we appreciate your patience and understanding.

Thaivisa.com

Edited by george
Updated 2012-08-14
  • Like 1

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are watching the demise of Hotmail and Yahoo email.

Wow - I think I've had my yahoo.co.uk email account since I started using the internet eons ago - I'd hate to lose it sad.png

Is it because of the amount of spam that is re-directed from Yahoo accounts ?

• Like 2

No, it isn't. We are watching the demise of Hotmail and Yahoo email.

Wow - I think I've had my yahoo.co.uk email account since I started using the internet eons ago - I'd hate to lose it sad.png

You don't have to "lose it". You just need a different one for Thaivisa.

• Like 1

Microsoft has already announced that they are going to abandon Hotmail.

But they have already stood-up Outlook.com addresses to replace Hotmail addresses...and their Live.com addresses along with the new Outlook.com addresses will still be supported. But hey, even though I have a live.com email address it's just a backup in case my Gmail accounts ever go down.

About 5 years ago I learned to avoid Yahoo mail. For one, my girl friend's msgs were blocked from reaching me when she used Yahoo, so she switched to hotmail and all was OK. (She was in southern Thailand and I assume her carrier was blocked, but don't know who it was.

A year later Chiang Mai Ram who also used Yahoo could not send my lab reports so one guy in the office sent it via his own email and it was OK. At that time I learned of a way to correct this issue by dealing directly with Yahoo and presumably they did this, but I don't know.

Of course I've avoided Yahoo ever since and tell everyone else to do the same.

Last year I tried to sign up for Bangkok Bank Internet banking, on the signup form you enter an email address.

It could ONLY be @yahoo.com or @hotmail.com I was staggered to say the least. I asked why.

The reply "Because it's only a real email address if it ends in @yahoo.com or hotmail.com" said the senior girl behind the desk.

Totally unbelieivable, but totally true.

I signed up for internet banking several years ago with Bangkok Bank and using my gmail account. Never heard that they would only accept yahoo or hotmail. When was that? Ok. whoops, you said a year ago.

And I'm still using gmail for it.

Edited by Ken
  • Like 2

Last year I tried to sign up for Bangkok Bank Internet banking, on the signup form you enter an email address.

It could ONLY be @yahoo.com or @hotmail.com I was staggered to say the least. I asked why.

The reply "Because it's only a real email address if it ends in @yahoo.com or hotmail.com" said the senior girl behind the desk.

I've experienced the same type of thing with Japan Airways, EVA, and some other Asian airlines. It really is unbelievable.

People using Yahoo or Hotmail Email addresses really know nothing about internet...

Yahoo and Hotmail are the worst about SPAM and nobody should use them anymore.

Only Gmail rules.

But what about Ymail.com ? (also belongs to Yahoo)

• Like 1

It would be nice if someone from ThaiVisa would explain in this thread WHY the forum is taking this move against Yahoo addresses....and talking about doing the same for Hotmail and related addresses.

I would imagine, for most people in terms of email, they're either using Gmail, Hotmail or some variety of Yahoo mail. If ThaiVisa rules out both Yahoo and Hotmail (and Live.com) addresses, that's pretty much leaving one email major email provider standing in terms of ThaiVisa log-ins.

Easy to understand: all messages sent by Thaivisa.com are sent to spam/bulk folder

• Like 1

I believe the reasoning is thus, Yahoo don't like bulk email (the newsletters and email notifications) we send out. Thaivisa ends up on spammers block lists. Obviously this is something TV wishes to avoid.

• Like 2

I believe the reasoning is thus, Yahoo don't like bulk email (the newsletters and email notifications) we send out. Thaivisa ends up on spammers block lists. Obviously this is something TV wishes to avoid.

So you inconvenience a vast majority of members because you cannot talk to Yahoo. Unbelievable

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Given the rubbish she must receive from @bbl.co.th email addresses I can understand why she would not regard that as a real email address.

With my own business I had an intermittent issue sending emails to some yahoo addresses, I did a pile of research on it to find it was an issue with qmail (within Plesk BTW). After wasting aeons trying to find a way to fix it I found I was able to easily switch my mail program (within Plesk) to use postfix instead. Ever since that switch I have not had any issues at all.

No, it isn't. We are watching the demise of Hotmail and Yahoo email.

You don't have to "lose it". You just need a different one for Thaivisa.

It isn’t not only for that. Many people have big problems with Yahoo. I have 2 accounts and there are block. I am from Belgium and I have to phone the US for unblocking. Hotmail will change soon to Outlook.

Edited by metisdead
: Font reset. Please use Arial size 14 when posting.

Well, I suppose I won't be a Thaivisa user any longer. I only come to the forum when I get the e-mail notification of news articles. I never just go to Thaivisa any longer as I did when I first came here 5 years ago.

I have alternative e-mail address's, but they happen to be hotmail, so I guess they've done themselves in.

When I read the recommendation to get a g-mail address, the first thing that popped into my mind was "I wonder how much Google is paying them to get rid of Yahoo add'ys?" I don't use Google for anything since they threw the Chinese dissidents under the bus a few years back. Plus, they are in just a bit to close with the US gummit. Way to much co-operation with the NSA.

Sorry Thaivisa...you've lost me.

Edited by Tagaa
  • Like 2

So you inconvenience a vast majority of members because you cannot talk to Yahoo. Unbelievable

Oi! Don't shoot the messenger :(

I'm sure George has his reasons.

• Like 1

Yahoo are a funny bunch. I receive spam mails from Yahoo accounts, and when I report to [email protected] I get an auto-reply saying that I should report to a website... and it get's complicated. So, they encourage spammers, because it is difficult to report them, and then they block non-spamming organisations like thaivisa.com... :(