Thaivisa.Com Blocks All Yahoo Email Addresses From Today

george

Due to delivery problems with all types of email addresses by Yahoo.com, Yahoo.co.uk etc etc including Rocketmail.com, we have today banned all Yahoo email addresses to sign up with thaivisa.

Unless you're signing up, it shouldn't be a problem ... unless they're going to stop sending out to existing Yahoo etc email addresses.

For this existing yahoo user, all email notifications for new posts and new threads stopped yesterday.

I don't understand why TV would stop current yahoo addresses. If people choose a yahoo address after being told the issues, that should be up to them. (particularly as some yahoo users have indicated that it isn't an issue.)

George???

Sent from my HTC phone.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be nice if someone from ThaiVisa would explain in this thread WHY the forum is taking this move against Yahoo addresses....and talking about doing the same for Hotmail and related addresses.

I would imagine, for most people in terms of email, they're either using Gmail, Hotmail or some variety of Yahoo mail. If ThaiVisa rules out both Yahoo and Hotmail (and Live.com) addresses, that's pretty much leaving one email major email provider standing in terms of ThaiVisa log-ins.

Easy to understand: all messages sent by Thaivisa.com are sent to spam/bulk folder

I haven't used Yahoo mail for anything meaningful for a long time, because it's overrun by spam... So I wouldn't know if any important emails arrive there for me or not...because I don't use it for anything important.

On the other hand, I've broadly used Hotmail for years, and it's had an excellent record of reliability for me....

However, ever since MS changed the spam filtering setup on Hotmail a few months back, all of my ThaiVisa newsletters keep showing up "red flagged" as coming from a suspicious/untrusted sender. And nothing I can do in my Hotmail settings has been able to fix/change that problem. I've complained to MS/Hotmail about it in their support forums, months have passed, and nothing's been resolved.

So at least in my case, I have absolutely no problem in getting ThaiVisa emails successfully in my Hotmail inbox. The problem I have is in getting Hotmail to stop tagging ThaiVisa emails as suspicious, even though the TV sending address is in my Hotmail "safe senders" list.

Of course, a month or two ago, I signed up for a Windows 8 email blog on the MS website, and the MS email sent to me confirming my subscription also was flagged by Hotmail as coming from a suspicious/unsafe sender... So I guess ThaiVisa is in good company in that regard, along with most of the large banks I deal with, whose emails also get treated in the same way by Hotmail in its latest iteration.

Really amazing how people who never worked online and don't know what they are talking about AT ALL still support Yahoo and Htomail that are the biggest and at the same time the worst Email services...

Yes I use Gmail just as anybody with a brain in this world, and one day you will also understand why.

Robots reading your Email ? Yes they all do it now but they do not all clearly say it as Google since te beginning.

I prefer to have ads that I do not see around the text just as on Thaivisa than ads in by INBOX, but as I said, many must know better than people who work online since the beginning of Internet...

And it's really AMAZING how people who 'think' they 'know' something about mail and internet and stuff still use Gmail.

I prefer to have NO ads. You can simply achieve this by just register your OWN domain and set up your own mail-server (or use the mailserver from your provider, but with your own domain!).

Anyone can think about some nice name they want after the @. Then register this domain and set up their own mail. Can be done including hosting within a few minutes!

This is how people do it who know 'something' of mail and internet. And NOT just run to Gmail cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Got news for George, hotmail also brands all TV emails as spam. Even when you flag the account as being known, TV newsletter email still get marked as spam and I have to select whether or not to activate the links in the content. Every stinking time.

That's exactly the behavior I was describing above... Hotmail didn't used to do that... It used to honor and accept one's Safe Sender selections... But the past few months, that's all gone out the window for some unexplained reason. And yes, it's been very annoying...

I thought it was just a problem with my Hotmail account and ThaiVisa... I hadn't seen much/any discussion of the problem here on the forum... Maybe I missed it...

Due to delivery problems with all types of email addresses by Yahoo.com, Yahoo.co.uk etc etc including Rocketmail.com, we have today banned all Yahoo email addresses to sign up with thaivisa.

Unless you're signing up, it shouldn't be a problem ... unless they're going to stop sending out to existing Yahoo etc email addresses.

For this existing yahoo user, all email notifications for new posts and new threads stopped yesterday.

I don't understand why TV would stop current yahoo addresses. If people choose a yahoo address after being told the issues, that should be up to them. (particularly as some yahoo users have indicated that it isn't an issue.)

George???

Are there pre-existing yahoo members who are today still receiving email notifications for new threads in subscribed forums or email notifications for new posts in subscribed threads?

Before you all have stress disorder problems with this, nobody is telling you to 'cancel' or stop using your Yahoo email accounts. What you are being asked to do is to create a new email account so that you can receive the TV newsletter/updates, and to update that information with TV. 10 minute job!

The reason given for this is that the protection adopted by Yahoo (and possibly Hotmail?) brand ThaiVisa as Spam generators (because of their bulk mail) and will put them on blacklists such as Spamhaus, etc, where the IP address is stopped from sending to that Yahoo/Hotmail address. A real pain in the butt.

That would be my understanding of the request; Mods, please advise if this is wrong?

You Are 100% correct!

That explanation above doesn't match with my experience with Hotmail and ThaiVisa... I get all my ThaiVisa email news updates to my Hotmail inbox just fine, AFAIK... But they are lately getting marked/red flagged as coming from a "suspicious" sender....which requires the viewer each time to click a link to access the email's links.

Of course, I didn't need Hotmail to tell me that I ought to regard ThaiVisa as a bit suspicious.... tongue.png

So yes, I do understand the problem... But I bristle a bit at the forum basically in effect telling users they have to use Gmail, for lack of other mainstream choices, for their main email log-in and contact address....

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I believe the reasoning is thus, Yahoo don't like bulk email (the newsletters and email notifications) we send out. Thaivisa ends up on spammers block lists. Obviously this is something TV wishes to avoid.

I think it would only take one click from the Yahoo or Hotmail user to make that mails from Thaivisa.com in the future land in the inbox instead of the spam folder.

Much less trouble than creating a new Gmail address with the only purpose that gmail can charge it's advertisers a multiple.

• Like 2

Although, Linda's posted explanation at the bottom of page 3 of this thread appears to reflect a much more modest change than the broader ones being debated in the thread...

Assuming her guidance is correct, I'd be content to continue to use my current Hotmail account with my ThaiVisa communications and put up with the annoyances Hotmail has created lately. They changed before, and I suspect at some point in their future they'll change again, perhaps back to the old, well-done filtering approach.

You don't need to change if you don't like, but don't expect notifications, password reset and newsletter to work all the time.

We don't dictate anything, this is a recommendation if you want to be sure to receive communications from us.

To use the forum with a previous yahoo email address is not a problem, you can of course continue to use our services, but new members can't sign up with a Yahoo address.

I think that will make many members with a Yahoo or Hotmail address happy.Isn't it possible to block Gmail addresses as well?

My Aussie university also blocks registration of hotmail and yahoo addresses. anyone who sends me from a hotmail account are labeled as untrustworthy automatically.

Hotmail really sucks! Their staffs are terrible and bitchy!!!

No problem here getting my mail from Thaivisa and I have a yahoo account. This is aken to telling the customer they are wrong and if you want to use our service do as I say instead of them fixing there problem as I do not have one on my end. I have been loseing interest in the info on Thaivisa so I guess I will be loseing all interest now

• Like 2

So funny that the owner of this board is telling you that Yahoo and Hotmail are not reliable but that many of you are still trying to explain that they are...

Don't you think that this guy knows exactly what he is doing and certainly better than you?

And then do you think that he would take such a decision that could affect his business if Yahoo and Hotmail were perfectly reiable as you are telling ?

Incredible !!! But you are all certainly right and few of us must be wrong ! I know...

• Like 1

I suggest you ask your email provider why this is. Because ThaiVisa has changed the rules only for new sign-ups, as you quoted. No change for existing members.

Considering this, ThaiVisa probably made the right decision, as users of Yahoo cannot receive the notifications - complain to Yahoo and let us know what they said.

I refuse to use gmail or facebook for anything. They collect and sell your data with no regard for peoples privacy. If thaivisa no longer accepts my business then i will add it to the long list of companies i simply dont do business with because of this reason. I agree with many of the posts above saying its a marketing or money thing.

I won't use Gmail or Facebook either. Neither would I use Yahoo or Hotmail. Luckily, there are myriads of other email providers around. :)

Thai Visa says:

"Blocked from today 2011-08-13:

yahoo.com

yahoo.com.* (all country specific yahoo email addresses)

yahoo.co.* (all country specific yahoo email addresses)

Hotmail.com and Live.com addresses will probably be blocked as well shortly.

My question to Thai Visa is: "Why? Please give an explanation".

The explanation was in this thread a few times. It helps to read before posting.

Have used hotmail to open my account here and since my account is not being closed then no problems.

The notifications and newsletters landed in my spam folder, up to me to allow the content to be shown or not.

To the Mods - Is there somewhere in the options that allows someone to use a yahoo or hotmail account to log in and register on Thaivisa, but under the tab "do you want to receive notifications" it asks for an account from another email provider. This would solve some of these problems and also would keep those who really do not understand what is being asked of them - happy and on Thaivisa.

Edited by beano2274

So funny that the owner of this board is telling you that Yahoo and Hotmail are not reliable but that many of you are still trying to explain that they are...

Don't you think that this guy knows exactly what he is doing and certainly better than you?

And then do you think that he would take such a decision that could affect his business if Yahoo and Hotmail were perfectly reiable as you are telling ?

Incredible !!! But you are all certainly right and few of us must be wrong ! I know...

The owner of this site isn't saying they aren't reliable, only that his bulk emails aren't going through. (FYI most people don't want to receive bulk mail).

Why does the owner know better, because he runs a successful website? Didn't you just say that yahoo and hotmail were the biggest email services yet the worst ? so when it suits you the biggest knows best when it doesn't it's the opposite...way to contradict yourself.

Yahoo or hotmail will do a job for most people, then again looking at your "Gmail rules" post I guess you're a fanboi, there is no convincing those.

reading through articles from Fox and toptenreviews, there is a difference of opinion.

toptenreviews both Gmail and Hotmail (windowslive) score 10 out of 10 for security, suprisingly enough Yahoo also gets 10 for security.

toptenreviews from this year http://free-email-se...tenreviews.com/

Unfortunately security isn't the issue here, it is spam. Where spam is an inconvenience, the security issues refer to viruses, trojans, worms, bots, etc which can be transmitted through attachments. Regarding spam, this is a very complicated issue with the email providers, and some of them have become lazy in their approach by generalizing, through their written rules and sometimes flagging innocent mail.

That is why, especially with the free email services, that you should always check your Spam folders before deleting the emails in there. Even where I work, with the domain emails going through our server, through Exchange and specialized anti-spam software (which catches on average about 200 spam mails a day) it still has to be checked before deleting. Royal pain in the @ss!

• Like 1

The problem for George is that if he's more clear in his OP, he would basically have written:

"Yahoo email users will shortly be removed from our outgoing spam list. Hotmail users soon as well. Please change email provider to continue receiving spam."

The problem he has is that the emails probably drive a lot of the traffic to the site. Really he should be looking at solutions at the ThaiVisa end, this thread/announcement is quite unprofessional.

And for what its worth, IMHO Hotmail and Yahoo are dreadful and Gmail (who I use) are sly and doing all evil. If only there was a reasonable email provider that was free and capable of similar levels of service to Google.

Poor PR George, Badly worded topic confusing users who feel that you are telling them they have to change their email. A little more thinking from a user's perspective rather than the boss would be more helpful.

I agree. Guessing the majority of members would not be computer savy. The message sounds a bit like the year 2000 warning when loads of people thought the world was going to end because certain computer clocks were not setup to for the new 21st century. Was a wet blanket. If you want to change your email address I would recommend zoho.com.

Sounds Thai Visa risk losing a lot of customers - everyone knows Google sell YOUR information to the highest bidder which is why they can afford to offer you free email accounts with large storage capacity !

However what about the other side of Google ?? The company that deliberately spies on you even when you instruct your device not to allow them to - see attached

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2171417/Google-faces-22-5-fine-snooping-iPhone-iPad-users-But-just-17-hours-make.html

Thai Visa need to seriouly rethink their links with Google .....................

This may help put things in perspective with the amount of money involved in "information gathering" which Google do very efficiently - take a look at the server farm investment recently made by Facebook in Sweden and openly publicised - and note the reference to the Google Server Farm in the Artic circle just so they can keep track of your information

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2054168/Facebook-unveils-massive-data-center-Lulea-Sweden.html

I believe the reasoning is thus, Yahoo don't like bulk email (the newsletters and email notifications) we send out. Thaivisa ends up on spammers block lists. Obviously this is something TV wishes to avoid.

So you inconvenience a vast majority of members because you cannot talk to Yahoo. Unbelievable

sent from my Wellcom A90+

FYI: Yahoo has a policy of not talking to anyone, not replying any complaints, not addressing any bugs, errors, etc., whether it contains email, incorrect data on its Yahoo Finance or News pages, tec.

I have a substantial file of screenprints and emails to demonstrate it. Yahoo is on a slow but sure path to corporate suicide, that's why Microsoft, equally uninterested in its clients, liked it, bought into it.