Does Baby Need Visa? If So What

My baby was born in Thailand not to a Thai national. We resisted her as a British citizen and got her a British passport. We then departed Thailand using her British passport showing only her departure.

I have a new “IMM B” multi entry visa and will be return to Thailand shortly. As a British citizen she will only have a 30 day waver on arrival.

Therefore do I need to get her a tourist visa for the duration of my stay total 1 year? And does she need to do boarder run every ninety day like I have to. She is 18 months old

Edited by nashslash

She will need a visa to get on the plane from your destination to Thailand unless she has a return ticket.

She is not required to do border runs really, children under 14 do not have to pay overstay, but read here on the front page it will confirm the age.

My understanding is that foreign children do not require a visa until their 14th birthday.

She will need a visa to get on the plane from your destination to Thailand unless she has a return ticket.

She is not required to do border runs really, children under 14 do not have to pay overstay, but read here on the front page it will confirm the age.

visa on arrival?

All entry requires visa or visa exempt eligibility. If travel is from UK I would get child a tourist visa to avoid any possible airline issues as that allows travel to Thailand without onward ticket (return ticket is never required).

There is no overstay charge for children so immigration would likely suggest child just stay and get the normal overstay stamp on exit if stay is only going to be one year. In theory stay of more than 90 days also requires address reporting to immigration of possible 2,000 baht fine - have not seen any indication immigration is taking action against children however. You could also take child o border crossings with you to avoid that issue but each time will take an extra minute or so to stamp the overstay (if has no real negative meaning in this case).

My understanding is that foreign children do not require a visa until their 14th birthday.

visa on arrival?

All foreign children require a Visa to enter Thailand.

visa on arrival?

All foreign children require a Visa to enter Thailand.

well for that matter, most everyone outside of ASEAN require a visa, howver they can be obtaind on arrival and there is no requirement for obtaining a visa prior to travel, my children certainly did not require a visa prior to travelling to TH, visa was obtained on arrival.

A child traveling with a UK passport without a return ticket or holding a return ticket exceeding the 30 day visa-exempt entry will need a visa or the airline will not allow travel.

Been there done this (10 years ago). Your child will be given a 30 day visa on arrival. Then go to Immigration and have them issue a Non-O visa to follow your visa (assuming you have a Non-Imm B). Your Company should do this for you. If you are overseas now then you should consult your local Royal Thai Consulate to check what are the most recent rules concerning this as they are always changing.

If you already have a "IMM B” multi entry visa then inform your company you want to bring your family along and need the appropiate letters visas.

Edited by RichardO

Very confusing and contradictory advice here.. while I understand there are no overstay fines for children under 14 I get what some said about her return ticket if it exceeds the 30 day waver.

I have contacted Si _ _ Leg_ _ and they stated that she will not require any type of visa. Even a tourist visa. But I don’t want to get to the airport and run into problems.

I will re contact SL and ask them about the "NON O" to follow mine.

• 1 year later...

I have a four year old child that flys to and from the Uk with me to Thailand

I have an O visa, the child recieves the standard visa 30 days on arrival. We fly from Heathrow

There is no problem arriving in Thailand, there is no problem leaving Thailand

On occasions the child has remained in Thailand for 6 months, which is 5 months over stay. At the airport there is no problem, no fine, nothing.

The only problem is getting onto the Plane in the UK, as the child hasnt got a visa the airline will require a return ticket within the 30 days. I have been travelling with the child for 4 years.

You do not need to contact Hull or anywhere else.

If you go to any immigration office in Thailand and ask if a baby reqjuires a visa, they will smile and say NO....

All entry requires visa or visa exempt eligibility. If travel is from UK I would get child a tourist visa to avoid any possible airline issues as that allows travel to Thailand without onward ticket (return ticket is never required).

There is no overstay charge for children so immigration would likely suggest child just stay and get the normal overstay stamp on exit if stay is only going to be one year. In theory stay of more than 90 days also requires address reporting to immigration of possible 2,000 baht fine - have not seen any indication immigration is taking action against children however. You could also take child o border crossings with you to avoid that issue but each time will take an extra minute or so to stamp the overstay (if has no real negative meaning in this case).

My experience is no 90 day failing to report fine, and no over stay stamp in the passport for the child

I asked at immigration if the child needed a visa, and the immigration officer just laughed and said no

The child does not need to do a visa run.

A child under 14 will not get fined....

"Your child will be given a 30 day visa on arrival."

"I have an O visa, the child recieves the standard visa 30 days on arrival."

More examples of not knowing the difference between a visa and a visa exempt entry.

UK citizens are not eligible for 'visa on arrival'.

"Your child will be given a 30 day visa on arrival."

"I have an O visa, the child recieves the standard visa 30 days on arrival."

More examples of not knowing the difference between a visa and a visa exempt entry.

UK citizens are not eligible for 'visa on arrival'.

Regardless of your nick picking Terry, this is information from a person with current knowledge answering a question that seems to have a cloud of misinformation on this page.

Admittedly i have do not know the correct name of the stamp the immigration office put into my childs passport at the airport.Never the less i do know from direct experience the answer to the op question.

A child from the UK in Thailand does not need any other visa other than what ever it is that is stamped at the airport

will not get fined for over staying

will not have the passport stamped for over staying

will not get fined for not 90 day reporting

you do not need to speak to hull

you do not need to get your work to change your childs visa

and to go over information i have provided to help other parents with British children in Thailand, immigration officers at the Jomtien office will smile and say 'no a visa is not needed for a child' when asked directly.

If in doubt ask at immigration in Thailand as i have where the law is enforced.