Truevisions, Psi Offer New Multi-Channel Set-Top Box

webfact

TrueVisions, PSI offer new multi-channel set-top box

WATCHIRANONT THONGTEP

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- The market for satellite TV set-top boxes has become highly competitive after leading subscription-based operator TrueVisions joined forces with PSI Holding to offer a new box accessing free-to-air service, providing customers with about 200 channels.

This is considered an attempt to increase the number of viewers for TrueVisions while PSI Holding, the largest manufacturer and trader of satellite TV receivers, can enjoy additional revenue from sales of the new PSI True TV box.

Ong-ard Prapakamol, chief commercial officer of TrueVisions, said the company targeted sales of at least 300,000 of the boxes by the end of this year, on top of the existing 300,000 TrueLife Plus boxes.

In this market, there are a handful of key players. For example, leading music and entertainment firm RS aims to lure customers with broadcasts of Spain's La Liga soccer matches via its set-top Sunbox, which is mainly distributed by Infosat Intertrade, a satellite-dish manufacturer. RS expects to sell at least 800,000 boxes in next three years.

Meanwhile, another leading music and entertainment giant, GMM Grammy, entered the satellite TV business last year via its subsidiary GMM Z. Yesterday it posted 24-per-cent year-on-year revenue growth in first half of this year to more than Bt6 billion, mainly driven by GMM Z.

Chief executive officer Busaba Daoruang said that in the first six months the company enjoyed Bt6.076 billion in revenue, and Bt196 million in net profit. This mainly resulted from the broadcasting business, particularity in the second quarter. GMM Z sold about 800,000 satellite TV set-top boxes during the live coverage of the Union of European Football Associations' Euro 2012 tournament in June and July.

GMM Grammy hopes that this year it will be able to sell 2 million set-top boxes.

By the end of this year, the company will offer a prepaid service to registered customers wanting to access pay-TV content on its 10 special channels via GMM Z satellite receivers. For example, the Bt300-monthly package offers five or six sports channels and the Bt200 package four entertainment channels.

With this expansion, the company expects to reach break-even point within three years, Busaba said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-15

In this market, there are a handful of key players. For example, leading music and entertainment firm RS aims to lure customers with broadcasts of Spain's La Liga soccer matches via its set-top Sunbox, which is mainly distributed by Infosat Intertrade, a satellite-dish manufacturer. RS expects to sell at least 800,000 boxes in next three years.

Regarding info on the Sunbox/RS, here's a Link to 9Sats.com in Bangkok that sells satellite and other equipment that gives an overview of the Sunbox equipment/service/subscription. Have Google Translate turned on.

By the end of this year, the company will offer a prepaid service to registered customers wanting to access pay-TV content on its 10 special channels via GMM Z satellite receivers. For example, the Bt300-monthly package offers five or six sports channels and the Bt200 package four entertainment channels.

So Gmm-Z is selling a receiver at 500 baht a month which has only 10 channels and they're able to sell 2 million of those setups?

Then for the other channels you need an RS- setup and an aditional True visions box.All together at a cost of an average month salary just to watch tv.Amazing Thailand.

Edited by JanKlaasen
  • Like 1

I was paying 2,592 baht for two true visions platinum boxes/cards, they canceled ASN. I canceled one true visions box and went to the silver package on the other, 745 baht per month. I went in to their office the other day to enquire about the platinum package. I have to take platinum on both boxes for six months, 2,600 baht per month. I asked them, "if I agree to take platinum for a minimum of six months, will you guarantee me ASN for six months?" The answer, no we can not guarantee that, wanke_rs!

Edited by ramrod711
  • Like 2

I assume that everybody who bought a Grammy set-top box for the Football has thrown it out of the windows already. Never seen such a lousy coverage with complete imbeciles trying to find themselves funny before a match. Moreover the cheap Grammy box can only work when all other sett-op boxes have been switched off in the house. The new HD offerings of True are top.

What a load of Trash! I can get better programs from the Internet for FREE. I regularly watch BBC, CNN International, Watched the Olympics (LIVE), Al Jazeera (English), Russia Today, etc. Thanks PSI - but no THANKS.

right indeed .. thumbsup.gif

I assume that everybody who bought a Grammy set-top box for the Football has thrown it out of the windows already. Never seen such a lousy coverage with complete imbeciles trying to find themselves funny before a match. Moreover the cheap Grammy box can only work when all other sett-op boxes have been switched off in the house. The new HD offerings of True are top.

No, I have not. Why should I? Wife look thai channels from that and I look J-league, Argentina League, FRA League, ENG Capital One Cup, Friendlies (tonight ENG-ITA), WTA tennis, Diamond League etc. These all are now free. Bundesliga and NPower League are on they way. Yes I will pay 300b/month for those when they start charge me. But just for sport, everything else is crap for me.

And what is that : "the cheap Grammy box can only work when all other sett-op boxes have been switched off in the house"

Not in our house, works together, no problem. Last night watched ATP on True and WTA on GMM same time.

• Like 1

I was paying 2,592 baht for two true visions platinum boxes/cards, they canceled ASN. I canceled one true visions box and went to the silver package on the other, 745 baht per month. I went in to their office the other day to enquire about the platinum package. I have to take platinum on both boxes for six months, 2,600 baht per month. I asked them, "if I agree to take platinum for a minimum of six months, will you guarantee me ASN for six months?" The answer, no we can not guarantee that, wanke_rs!

Would you prefer them to lie to you?

ASN is back on True and NFL is also on one of True's own sports channels.

Is ASN only available to Platinum Package? I have gold and no ASN. Also have GMM but they do not have ASN any more,

Is ASN only available to Platinum Package? I have gold and no ASN. Also have GMM but they do not have ASN any more,

I believe ASN is only on Platinum. But if it's NFL you're interested in, I think it's also on TrueSports (on Gold).

I am sure glad i only play sports, my spectator friends go mad trying to get their fixes. I have boxes of VHS tapes of the classic sports of vintage times,when they were athletes not actors with the big salary. Some blokes are of the old skool though and play for the sport.

So Gmm-Z is selling a receiver at 500 baht a month which has only 10 channels and they're able to sell 2 million of those setups?

Then for the other channels you need an RS- setup and an aditional True visions box.All together at a cost of an average month salary just to watch tv.Amazing Thailand.

yes. Where is the open market?

Sent from my GT-S5830T using Thaivisa Connect App

TRUE = a true problem

we have true visions knowledge package. it has now expired. wife goes to office to pay 3 times each time she is told computer is down can’t connect you now but we can take your money. can anyone say they are getting a good service from true visions?

No, I have not. Why should I? Wife look thai channels from that and I look J-league, Argentina League, FRA League, ENG Capital One Cup, Friendlies (tonight ENG-ITA), WTA tennis, Diamond League etc. These all are now free. Bundesliga and NPower League are on they way. Yes I will pay 300b/month for those when they start charge me. But just for sport, everything else is crap for me.

And what is that : "the cheap Grammy box can only work when all other sett-op boxes have been switched off in the house"

Not in our house, works together, no problem. Last night watched ATP on True and WTA on GMM same time.

Have those channels always been free? I get no free sport with our box, which is really just for the GF to get TV whilst up-country. What's the channel number? I will take the box back to Phuket when I go as I believe that NPower Championship games may be on and my team just happens to play in this division.

yes. Where is the open market?

Sent from my GT-S5830T using Thaivisa Connect App

No open market in Thailand.

Edited by Jessi

TRUE = The worst company I have ever dealt with in the world, not just Thailand. bah.gif

No open market in Thailand.

No one is forcing you to take Truevisions.

I stopped giving money to True six years ago because they are the worst company & no one is forcing you to reply & quot my post either.

Have those channels always been free? I get no free sport with our box, which is really just for the GF to get TV whilst up-country. What's the channel number? I will take the box back to Phuket when I go as I believe that NPower Championship games may be on and my team just happens to play in this division.

Yes, been free all the time. We called them and register our box, after that channels we on air. 387 Eurosport, 388 GMM Club Channel, 390 Football Plus, 391 GMM Sport One, 398 GMM Z Sport and 129 T-Sport