Ukrainian Nabbed Taking Driver’S Exam For Friend

Rimmer

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The picture is excellent, begging a caption competition.

"Don't worry, happens everyday. Look, we got you a nice interpreter."

Must get my glasses fixed, thought the cop was playing a guitar. blink.png

Air guitar?

What's with the use of "farang" throughout TV???? . . . could we not use the slightly less derogatory "foreigner" or perhaps even the actual nationality as it's usually already known in the original articles . . .

Farang is not a derogatory word in the Thai language. It basically means white foreigner. Here at TV, and around Thailand in expat circles, that word has been adopted as an easy way to refer to us.

Still believe in Santa Claus as well?

Didnt know you could take a drivers license test as a foreigner . without a work permnit smile.png If there is a way please let me know ?

Be in possession of a valid International Driving Permit from your own country. You do not need to take the written test just do the reaction test, unless that has changed.

I had to take both but all I had was a state ID from the US. But it was not a problem. They have strange questions that do not make sence but they let you retake it till you pass where I went.

• Like 1

I took that computer test and failed the first time sad.png ... The wording of the questions was pretty odd... The second time I took it, I passed. clap2.gif

A couple of non-Thais in my group failed the riding part.

When did they start testing foreigners presenting licences from their own countries? I presented my foreign licence and got a one year Thai licence automatically without taking a driving or computer test - just had to take a colour blindness test. (My friend failed the colour blindness test - can't tell red from green - but got his licence anyway with being asked for a bribe.) The next year I got a three year licence and when that expired I got an all of life licence. My Thai wife had to do a childishly simple written test and drive a beat up old Toyota around a track to get hers but she can't get an all of life one - 5 years seems to be the maximum now. I lost my all of life licence a couple of years back and was issued a new one for 100 baht.

I picked up both the car and motorcycle license. The car was a freebie as I had my US license and the motorcycle I had to start from square 1. Total time was about 4 hours as I arrived at about 9:30am... I got lost going there and finished at 1:30pm. All very painless, just standard DMV shuffling for everyone in the building. Not one single issue with the staff.

Oh dear! I wondered when the "Thailand can do no wrong brigade" would rear its ugly head.

I think you'll find that most foreigners complain or in this case, laugh about certain aspects of their adopted countries. It's perfectly natural.

Or are you one of those people who would allow as many foreigners as possible to screw the system in our home countries while defending Thailand against a few whinging expats. Utter hypocrisy! That kind of attitude is a cop-out and does nothing to improve

anything.

Why is almost everyone so judgemental . This is the way it happens here, I came with an International Lic. and had no problem obtaining both Motor & Bike Lic. Don't like the Thai way, no need to be here.

"We do it this way back in my country" Buddy, IT IS NOT YOUR COUNTRY.

A very good Q. I know someone who has a life-time Thai drivers license and she never took a test! The police just gave to her when she applied. Mind this was a few years ago.

That was normal in the past, all Thais were given a lifetime driving license on application. No idea when it was changed.

It changed quite a few years ago. The first licence was for one year, the renewal was for three (or five?) years, and after that, you got a life-long renewal. Now, five years is the maximum (actually, six years).

Didnt know you could take a drivers license test as a foreigner . without a work permnit smile.png If there is a way please let me know ?

There is always the legal way. You don't need a work permit to apply for a driver's licence, you need a non-imm visa (or extension for one) and a residency certificate.

Be in possession of a valid International Driving Permit from your own country. You do not need to take the written test just do the reaction test, unless that has changed.

If you don't want to take the full Thai driving test, you need to have an international licence in addition to your local one. Then you will just transcribe your licence to a Thai licence, that's why you won't have to take the test.

Sincerely......the joker must be rewarded

Handcuffed he tries to explain in ukra-thai-english that it was really nothing more then his duty to get his girlfriend a drivers licence.

he was nothing more then fed up with paying the tickets( for his girlfriend and NOT getting arrested) and walking home every time.

The parade is disgusting and in no way justified by the offence committed.

The OP is about two guys, one is Russian and the other one Ukrainian. No girlfriend involved. Are you suggesting they are boyfriends? As much as I would like to interpret this into the OP, I can't.

Maybe I am missing something here, when I applied for my license in BKK at chatterjack I simply did a color blind test and a timed reaction braking test, is this because I had a USA current license at the time ? was this test the same as a first qualifying test? if so what a couple of dummies.

You probably just transferred your licence. I believe an international licence is required, but as usual there might be exceptions for US citizens...

Why the desire to get a license anyway...

Local identification, no fine at police stops, less hassle in accidents. Why wouldn't you get one if you drive? A few years ago a foreign friend was in an accident and a woman died. The judge told him if he had not of had a license he would have seen jail time.

You need a drivers license? I thought you just paid a small fine and off you go..

Yes, you need a driver's licence if you drive a vehicle in Thailand. Everything else is in violation of the law. Which, as someone has already mentioned, will void your insurance coverage. And you don't want that...

Anyone unable to pass the Thai driving test REALLY does not belong on the road!

If this had worked, the Russian would have a license with his friend picture on it, how did they think that was going to work?

the photos are small and usually overexposed... it would probably sneak past.

Non-imm B visa and proof of address.... google it... dead easy, but sucks up your day.

Anyone unable to pass the Thai driving test REALLY does not belong on the road!

If this had worked, the Russian would have a license with his friend picture on it, how did they think that was going to work?

the photos are small and usually overexposed... it would probably sneak past.

Depends. The photo on my 5y license is very clear, I seem to remember they used a Logitech autozoom cam (the one looking like a lollipop) to take it. Probably the most accurate photo on any of my papers, including passport. Taken in the same Chonburi Land Transportation Office.

Why would anyone who has entered the country illegally go anywhere NEAR the cops or a government office where ID is a BIG DEAL? Two dummies.

I'm guessing he was not illegal per say. He just didn't have his passport with him so he was charged as such.

Why would anyone who has entered the country illegally go anywhere NEAR the cops or a government office where ID is a BIG DEAL? Two dummies.

I'm guessing he was not illegal per say. He just didn't have his passport with him so he was charged as such.

...per say... should be spelled "per se" it is a latin term not an English one and so the spelling is different.

By the way. Can anyone explain why whenever I quote a post it appears twice????

Sincerely......the joker must be rewarded

Handcuffed he tries to explain in ukra-thai-english that it was really nothing more then his duty to get his girlfriend a drivers licence.

he was nothing more then fed up with paying the tickets( for his girlfriend and NOT getting arrested) and walking home every time.

The parade is disgusting and in no way justified by the offence committed.

The OP is about two guys, one is Russian and the other one Ukrainian. No girlfriend involved. Are you suggesting they are boyfriends? As much as I would like to interpret this into the OP, I can't.

onthemoon is yet another example of people who post comments with no clear understanding of the original story. There are a lot of retard farang who post on this board.

• Like 1