Any Shooting Ranges In Chiang Mai That Offer More Variety?

wellred

I'm looking for a shooting range in Chiang Mai that has AK's, M16's ect... I've so far found one in Mae Rim but they only seem to have a standard pistol or single shot rifle. Are there any others that offer 'more variety'?

Go to Star Dome golf just a little west of the South West corner of the moat. Coming down the road on the South side of the moat going West you will see that the road splits look straight ahead and you can see the sign for star dome. You will have to go to the left take the first u turn come back to the sign take a left about half a kilometer in you will come to a row of buildings on your rite. It is in a gun shop there. It was over a year ago and we were assured of many different guns just pay for the ammunition. I believe it was 80 baht for a M16 down to 5 baht for some small caliber repeating gun.

A rumor that for 50,000 baht a Japanese Gentleman had been able to drive and fire a tank. 15,000 baht for a bazooka. Those last two were rumors. Could be as it is done on the army shooting range. It was over a year ago when my boy and I talked to them. Seemed a little fishy then as we had to go through one guy. Since then I have seen advertisements for them in Tuk Tuk's.

Let us know if t is what you want. If you don't like it just walk across the parking lot to the archery range. Or go out the back door to the driving range.

The archery range also has a lot of camping gear binoculars and a small telescope along with a selection of hunting knives. Seems to always be changing stock.

Edited by hellodolly

Go to Star Dome golf just a little west of the South West corner of the moat. Coming down the road on the South side of the moat going West you will see that the road splits look straight ahead and you can see the sign for star dome. You will have to go to the left take the first u turn come back to the sign take a left about half a kilometer in you will come to a row of buildings on your rite. It is in a gun shop there. It was over a year ago and we were assured of many different guns just pay for the ammunition. I believe it was 80 baht for a M16 down to 5 baht for some small caliber repeating gun.

A rumor that for 50,000 baht a Japanese Gentleman had been able to drive and fire a tank. 15,000 baht for a bazooka. Those last two were rumors. Could be as it is done on the army shooting range. It was over a year ago when my boy and I talked to them. Seemed a little fishy then as we had to go through one guy. Since then I have seen advertisements for them in Tuk Tuk's.

Let us know if t is what you want. If you don't like it just walk across the parking lot to the archery range. Or go out the back door to the driving range.

The archery range also has a lot of camping gear binoculars and a small telescope along with a selection of hunting knives. Seems to always be changing stock.

Thanks for the directions. Do you know the name of the gun shop by any chance? Hopefully the tuk tuks will know where it is.

Thanks for the directions. Do you know the name of the gun shop by any chance? Hopefully the tuk tuks will know where it is.

http://maps.google.co.th/maps?q=Star+Dome+Mueang+Chiang+Mai+Chiang+Mai&hl=nl&ll=18.781943,98.976452&spn=0.010828,0.013797&sll=18.761918,98.976292&sspn=0.346534,0.441513&oq=star+dome&t=k&hq=Star+Dome&hnear=Mueang+Chiang+Mai,+Changwat+Chiang+Mai&z=16

Military tourism in Thailand: Shoot guns, ride tanks, eat bugs

The Royal Thai Army targets tourists by granting visitors a chance to play soldier for a day

By Cole Pennington 9 April, 2012

military_main.jpgEvery year, U.S. Marines come to Thailand to learn jungle survival techniques. These days civilians can get in on the action too.

Illicit military experiences have long characterized the Southeast Asia travel experience.

Most expat residents and seasoned backpackers in the region know at least one person who has destroyed a small patch of jungle with a rocket launcher or popped off a few rounds from a government issue sub-machine gun by “renting” these weapons from enterprising military personnel.

But since 1997, the Royal Thai Army has been working with the Tourism Authority of Thailand to develop programs that allow civilians to catch a glimpse of military life, legally.

The operation is simple -- give tourists a roughneck experience they can't get anywhere else. Let them fire M16 assault rifles, put them behind the controls of a tank and teach them what insects are OK to eat when learning jungle survival techniques.

Of the 300-plus armed forces bases throughout Thailand, more than 60 run programs such as simple bike rides or parachute jumping from a tower, from Phuket all the way up to Chiang Mai. To locate the nearest base, give the Royal Thai Army's Tourism Promotion Working Committee a call at +66 (0)2 297 5715-8 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +66 (0)2 297 5715-8 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.

In the meantime here’s a quick guide to some of the activities for military buffs or adventure travelers looking for an alternative to lounging around on the beach.

Learn to survive

ranger.jpgRanger Training Group is for hard-core military enthusiasts looking for the real combat deal. Several army bases in Thailand teach visitors jungle survival techniques, such as knowing which bugs are safe to eat and how to kill a snake and drink its blood.

One organization that caters to foreigners is the Ranger Training Group, which has teamed up with the Royal Thai Army to offer courses at Lopburi's Army Special Warfare Training Centre, a couple of hours' drive north of Bangkok.

The intense week-long course includes instruction in rappelling, survival training, first aid, weapons, snares, booby traps and parachute jumps. A condensed weekend course is also available.

158/2, Mo 4 Tasala, Muang Lopburi. +66 (0)8 1827 9124 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +66 (0)8 1827 9124 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Drive a vintage tank

Pay a visit to Fort Adisorn Calvary Center in the Isaan province of Saraburi to check out Thailand’s collection of restored tanks.

Once you’re done looking, pay a small fee and hitch a ride in a light-armor Renault tank to cruise through the sunflower fields. The French machine is almost 80 years old, but it still runs strong.

Muang District Cavalry Camp, Saraburi, Thailand. +66 (0)3 621 2945 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +66 (0)3 621 2945 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Take a lesson in marksmanship

chulashootingrange.jpgGood shots get a special certificate highlighting their accomplishments.For as little as 200 baht tourists can learn proper firearm techniques at the Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy 140 kilometers northeast of Bangkok.

Participants have the option of firing a 9 millimeter pistol or a .45 revolver. A soldier will guide you step-by-step on how to load the weapon, hold it and fire. A paper target is provided to keep score of your accuracy.

Ear protection is provided, but shooters are advised to bring their own eyewear. One traveler taking part called the experience “a little scary."

"The language barrier made it funny at times, but I still had to remember that I was handling guns,” she said.

Other activities at the Chulachomklao Academy include biking, paintball, laser beam shooting, kayaking, trekking and rapelling.

Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy, Suwanasorn Road Muang, Nakhon-Nayok. www.crma.ac.th

Fly in a Vietnam War-era plane

The Khlong 15 flying club, located an hour north of Bangkok, owns and operates an ex-military Cessna L-19 “Bird Dog," a spotter plane used in 1949-1962.

The man in charge is Squadron Leader Boonyarith, and he’s happy to take anyone on a 60-minute flight for 10,000 baht.

Used to spot enemy troops, this plane has a 360-degree field of view thanks to the panoramic rear window, perfect for taking in views of the Thai countryside.

Captian Boonyarith, Khlong 15 Aviation Club, Khlong 15, Rangsit. +66 (0)81 866 5810 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +66 (0)81 866 5810

CNN

• Like 1

You really can't miss it. It is on the right hand side as you come in. There is a row of shops there with a driving range right behind them. They sell guns there but not to farongs. It is more like a gun shop.

Let us know how you make out. I was in there a little over a year ago and it was kind of strange. Only one person could take you there and he was in Bangkok. I see it advertised in a few tuk tuk's now. I believe they are on the army shooting range. If you are going to get a tank let me know. LOL

• 8 years later...
On 8/16/2012 at 4:02 PM, khwaibah said:

Military tourism in Thailand: Shoot guns, ride tanks, eat bugs

The Royal Thai Army targets tourists by granting visitors a chance to play soldier for a day

By Cole Pennington 9 April, 2012

military_main.jpgEvery year, U.S. Marines come to Thailand to learn jungle survival techniques. These days civilians can get in on the action too.

Illicit military experiences have long characterized the Southeast Asia travel experience.

Most expat residents and seasoned backpackers in the region know at least one person who has destroyed a small patch of jungle with a rocket launcher or popped off a few rounds from a government issue sub-machine gun by “renting” these weapons from enterprising military personnel.

But since 1997, the Royal Thai Army has been working with the Tourism Authority of Thailand to develop programs that allow civilians to catch a glimpse of military life, legally.

The operation is simple -- give tourists a roughneck experience they can't get anywhere else. Let them fire M16 assault rifles, put them behind the controls of a tank and teach them what insects are OK to eat when learning jungle survival techniques.

Of the 300-plus armed forces bases throughout Thailand, more than 60 run programs such as simple bike rides or parachute jumping from a tower, from Phuket all the way up to Chiang Mai. To locate the nearest base, give the Royal Thai Army's Tourism Promotion Working Committee a call at +66 (0)2 297 5715-8 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +66 (0)2 297 5715-8 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.

In the meantime here’s a quick guide to some of the activities for military buffs or adventure travelers looking for an alternative to lounging around on the beach.

Learn to survive

ranger.jpgRanger Training Group is for hard-core military enthusiasts looking for the real combat deal. Several army bases in Thailand teach visitors jungle survival techniques, such as knowing which bugs are safe to eat and how to kill a snake and drink its blood.

One organization that caters to foreigners is the Ranger Training Group, which has teamed up with the Royal Thai Army to offer courses at Lopburi's Army Special Warfare Training Centre, a couple of hours' drive north of Bangkok.

The intense week-long course includes instruction in rappelling, survival training, first aid, weapons, snares, booby traps and parachute jumps. A condensed weekend course is also available.

158/2, Mo 4 Tasala, Muang Lopburi. +66 (0)8 1827 9124 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +66 (0)8 1827 9124 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Drive a vintage tank

Pay a visit to Fort Adisorn Calvary Center in the Isaan province of Saraburi to check out Thailand’s collection of restored tanks.

Once you’re done looking, pay a small fee and hitch a ride in a light-armor Renault tank to cruise through the sunflower fields. The French machine is almost 80 years old, but it still runs strong.

Muang District Cavalry Camp, Saraburi, Thailand. +66 (0)3 621 2945 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +66 (0)3 621 2945 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Take a lesson in marksmanship

chulashootingrange.jpgGood shots get a special certificate highlighting their accomplishments.For as little as 200 baht tourists can learn proper firearm techniques at the Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy 140 kilometers northeast of Bangkok.

Participants have the option of firing a 9 millimeter pistol or a .45 revolver. A soldier will guide you step-by-step on how to load the weapon, hold it and fire. A paper target is provided to keep score of your accuracy.

Ear protection is provided, but shooters are advised to bring their own eyewear. One traveler taking part called the experience “a little scary."

"The language barrier made it funny at times, but I still had to remember that I was handling guns,” she said.

Other activities at the Chulachomklao Academy include biking, paintball, laser beam shooting, kayaking, trekking and rapelling.

Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy, Suwanasorn Road Muang, Nakhon-Nayok. www.crma.ac.th

Fly in a Vietnam War-era plane

The Khlong 15 flying club, located an hour north of Bangkok, owns and operates an ex-military Cessna L-19 “Bird Dog," a spotter plane used in 1949-1962.

The man in charge is Squadron Leader Boonyarith, and he’s happy to take anyone on a 60-minute flight for 10,000 baht.

Used to spot enemy troops, this plane has a 360-degree field of view thanks to the panoramic rear window, perfect for taking in views of the Thai countryside.

Captian Boonyarith, Khlong 15 Aviation Club, Khlong 15, Rangsit. +66 (0)81 866 5810 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +66 (0)81 866 5810

CNN

Any idea if something like this still exists??