What Major Tourist Attraction Is Next ?

Ricardo

We've got the Mae-Sa Valley, the Zoo & Night-Safari, Simon-Cabaret & the Night-Bazaar.

So what would TV-members propose, to be the next major tourist-attraction, which Chiang Mai actually needs, to help develop our attractiveness to tourists? To help keep them here, putting money into our local economy, for an extra day or two ?

I heard that an elephant-stadium (what - another one ?) or crocodile-farm was proposed to fill the space next-door to the (soon to be accessible) Night Safari. Ho-hum ... Boring, or what ? :o

I've also heard rumours that the big international garden-festival, November-January next winter, may be followed by Nong Nooch Garden - North, a Chiang Mai version of the large & fairly-successful Pattaya attraction. Which strikes me as not a bad idea, generating plenty of low-skilled/low-paid employment, and supporting the green/mountain-resort image of the area. :D

A serious International Conference-Centre might also help fill some of those 5-star hotels currently a-building.

But what other ideas can we come up with ? :D

> So what would TV-members propose, to be the next major

> tourist-attraction, which Chiang Mai actually needs, to help develop our

> attractiveness to tourists?

I've said it before: it would be better not to <deleted> with anything and leave the things that always attracted tourists to Chiang Mai / The North.

But let's see..

* Make existing national parks more accessible and make the entrance fee more reasonable. (200 baht is too high. Doesn't have to be 20 baht, but something like 50-80 baht for tourists would be okay. Note that part of the entrance fee can be 'hidden' in the transportation fee, (english speaking) guide fee, boat fees, etc. People would still pay 200 baht per person (or more), but get more value.) Currently, even if you'd know about Ob Khan NP and wanted to go there, how would you get there? How do you get to Mae Ngat (Sri Lanna NP)? The only national parks where you can go with any kind of public transport is currently Doi Suthep and Doi Inthanon.

Will this happen? Of course not; the already VERY accessible Doi Suthep should get a cable car system.. Lots more money there that can stick to sticky fingers..

A really cool 'cultural theme park' could be made demonstrating (as in DEMONSTRATING, i.e. things should move) Thai/Northern architecture (e.g. temple construction), arts, crafts, clothing, cooking, medicine (incl. trad. massage) agriculture, technology, etc. Some of this happens already at the commercial tourist traps, but it could be done so much more elegantly and informative, while still getting a decent sale in crafts & courses.

Cheers,

Chanchao

We've got the Mae-Sa Valley, the Zoo & Night-Safari, Simon-Cabaret & the Night-Bazaar.

So what would TV-members propose, to be the next major tourist-attraction, which Chiang Mai actually needs, to help develop our attractiveness to tourists? To help keep them here, putting money into our local economy, for an extra day or two ?

I heard that an elephant-stadium (what - another one ?) or crocodile-farm was proposed to fill the space next-door to the (soon to be accessible) Night Safari. Ho-hum ... Boring, or what ? :o

I've also heard rumours that the big international garden-festival, November-January next winter, may be followed by Nong Nooch Garden - North, a Chiang Mai version of the large & fairly-successful Pattaya attraction. Which strikes me as not a bad idea, generating plenty of low-skilled/low-paid employment, and supporting the green/mountain-resort image of the area. :D

A serious International Conference-Centre might also help fill some of those 5-star hotels currently a-building.

But what other ideas can we come up with ? :D

Chiang Mai really needs to focus on cleaning up the city and gettting its streets and pavements fixed. Rubbish needs to be addressed, ie too much litter and not enough rubbish bins around the tourist parks and tourists spots eg night bazarr. Clean toilets, and more of them would be great.

I think CM has enough attractions now but we need to improve how its packaged, otherwise the rose of the north will be a dead flower in years to come. Also get rid of any taxis, tuk tuks, and buses that belch black smoke, in fact any vehical that does.

A cleanup and beautification program would go a long way toward making it more livable for it's residents, let alone tourists.

Agreed. Cleaning up would be both money and time well-spent but the powers-that-be tend to favour mega projects like the night safari and such. More cronies pockets can be lined with such big projects than can be done with a concerted effort to make what one already has more presentable.

But what other ideas can we come up with ? :o

None at all! Far too many modern attractions that have just spoilt the old Chiangmai of yesteryear, when the tousists flocked here. The Night Safari has not only encroached on both private and public land, but has lined a lot of local pockets, and quite frankly I can see it becoming a white elephant in the not too distant future.

A cleanup and beautification program would go a long way toward making it more livable for it's residents, let alone tourists.

Agreed. Cleaning up would be both money and time well-spent but the powers-that-be tend to favour mega projects like the night safari and such. More cronies pockets can be lined with such big projects than can be done with a concerted effort to make what one already has more presentable.

Exactly; they're not bothered about the rough edges...it's all about the dosh unfortunately :o

It just dawned on me!!! Perhaps not what CM actually needs, but definitely somethign that we may end up getting!!!

Wait for it.....

A Formula 1 class Grand Prix circuit!!!

* As Taksin & friends own lots of land and stuff in Chiang Mai, and because promoting the North is a current policy, Chiang Mai would be the obvious choice.

* Malaysia has one. Anything that the neighbour gets (fancy airport, etc), we should get too, but bigger.

* Prestige project, showing Thailand as a modern nation

* My 3 month old baby could come up with money-siphoning ops for this one. It's almost too easy.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Even better: Build the circuit where the current airport is, then ALSO build a new airport. Minimum requirement being that 2 long-haul Airbus A380 should be able to take off and land simultaneously.

I read a secret government report once that there is it seems a monster swimming around in the Mae-On Dam,San K.P but obviously they (central Gov) would wish to keep it under wraps so as to avoid panic in the local population.

I also know that the last time I was up there I am sure that I noticed some very unusual disturbances on the surface of the water but one could possible just put that down to the very very old turtles that are said live in the lake (local rumour ages them at up to 1000 years old)

One old fisherman (hes building me a wee boat) even recons that there is an anaconda sliding around and has been spotted near the new observation station that has recently been built (wonder who..?) but personally I dont believe in "Big Snakes"....... :o but you never know....

> How about an artificial lake with an iceberg in, and an exact

> replica of the Titanic. Tourists can board, wine and dine and

> experience what it feels like to sink into ice cold water on

> an atlantic cruiser?

BRILLIANT! I only worry that with the Mae Ngat lake (Srilanna National Park) already there to exploit, -that's what national parks are for after all-, there won't be enough money left in it to make it worthwhile.

It just dawned on me!!! Perhaps not what CM actually needs, but definitely somethign that we may end up getting!!!

Wait for it.....

A Formula 1 class Grand Prix circuit!!!

* As Taksin & friends own lots of land and stuff in Chiang Mai, and because promoting the North is a current policy, Chiang Mai would be the obvious choice.

* Malaysia has one. Anything that the neighbour gets (fancy airport, etc), we should get too, but bigger.

* Prestige project, showing Thailand as a modern nation

* My 3 month old baby could come up with money-siphoning ops for this one. It's almost too easy.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Even better: Build the circuit where the current airport is, then ALSO build a new airport. Minimum requirement being that 2 long-haul Airbus A380 should be able to take off and land simultaneously.

:o Brilliant idea :D

But don't we already have a Super-Highway ?

> How about an artificial lake with an iceberg in, and an exact

> replica of the Titanic. Tourists can board, wine and dine and

> experience what it feels like to sink into ice cold water on

> an atlantic cruiser?

Now that's what I call a drawcard :D Will they have life jackets and cocktail sausages. or will life jackets be an optional paid extra :o

How about fixing many of the roads in Chiang Mai first before building more touristy rubbish?

Where to start? How about the not-so-superhighway? Has anybody actually seen more than a trickle of people working on it?

Head into town and the state of Tha Pae road is a disgrace. What is the reason for digging up parts of the road and just leaving them?

Further on there is the log block that was laid for the walking street. It more resembles a jigsaw than anything else. I saw some workmen taking up some bricks to relay them, but the road wasn't closed - they were re-laying bricks, with cars and trucks going up the other half of the street, displacing even more bricks! I really don't understand why it has been allowed to be left in this state.

The amazing thing is that these are major gateway points for the city.

Get that little lot sorted and then they can talk about bringing more people here! :o

Edited by Grant

Head into town and the state of Tha Pae road is a disgrace. What is the reason for digging up parts of the road and just leaving them?

Uh, traditionally the reason is due to the contractor taking off with the money. Sort of like a truck driver fleeing the scene of the accident, it is just the way things work in LOS.

Uh, traditionally the reason is due to the contractor taking off with the money. Sort of like a truck driver fleeing the scene of the accident, it is just the way things work in LOS.

I can understand this happening in Nakhon Nowhere, but this is Chiang Mai, supposedly Thailand's second city. And, more importantly, Mr T's hometown!