Advice For Str In Cm

roblin

I am looking for a short term rental in Chaing Mai.

I want:

AC, TV, pool, gym, sauna etc

GOOD Internet from day 1

central location

Price: 5000-15000baht. not so important, i don´t like paying too much for nothing, but can spend some if i get more bang for the buck.

the places i have found so far are

1. http://www.pacificmansion.com/default.htm

best so far, good rooms for 6500baht/month with internet, very nice big room for 15k too, but hard to get those

2. http://chiangmaihouse.com/basket.asp?pid=4...g=1&category=14

intresting, but a bit too much hotel i think and a bit to far off for my taste

3. http://trigong.chiangmai-chiangrai.com/

might do for 6000baht/month

4. Hill Side plaza

a bit overpriced?!

what´s your thought on these? any other you would recommend?

Prices from 'Reception' or the management at Hillside will likely be higher than dealing directly with individual owners - try finding some owners of condos for a better rate.

I can put you in contact with one English guy who has a couple of units for rent at Hillside but I am sure there are many others. PM me if you would like to be put in touch with the guy that I know.

JxP

#2 on your list is actually Viangbua Mansion and their main site is here:

http://www.viangbuamansion-chiangmai.com/

They don't have a pool and I'm not sure if their gym is open yet? I stayed there three times for a total of twelve weeks last year and it is excellent. Functions perfectly well as apartment rental - but also with other (hotel-type?) services available if you want them. Very friendly and efficient.

Spent 6 pleasant months at Chiangmai Pacific Mansions, it's full of regular residents so quiet.

No gym no sauna.

The pool's small but big enough for exercise and comfortable seats.

Pleasant staff.

No UBC but WE TV

ADSL share available

I recommend the top floor....the rooms are smaller but I think much nicer....best face west I think.

A freind of mine rented a Condo on the top floor of Hillside 4, very comfortable, (Top floor has its own private pool and it WAS like having your own private pool, never saw anyone else up there) 12,000 a month, lovely views and good furnishings.

Just my 2 satangs worth

TP

Edited by ThaiPauly

Thank you very much for your input.

Extra thanks to Steve2UK for the link, #2 now got very much more intresting.

#2 How is the location? I never went there, just talked with the guy at chiangmaihouse who said he get comission if he drive me there and I rent it, so I was a bit put off. But with this great homepage and information I regret i never went there. I have been driving around the area, seems like only thai live there. The pubs around seemed a bit dark(guess some dirty action going on there). But probably there are loads of cheap noodle-soup i can have for breakfast, and eat dinner I can always do around Thae Phae.

#4 You have a figure for the price by renting directly?

Now the big problem for me will be deciding which one to choose. I would be grateful for your input which one will fit me best.

Thank you very much for your input.

Extra thanks to Steve2UK for the link, #2 now got very much more intresting.

#2 How is the location? I never went there, just talked with the guy at chiangmaihouse who said he get comission if he drive me there and I rent it, so I was a bit put off. But with this great homepage and information I regret i never went there. I have been driving around the area, seems like only thai live there. The pubs around seemed a bit dark(guess some dirty action going on there). But probably there are loads of cheap noodle-soup i can have for breakfast, and eat dinner I can always do around Thae Phae.

#4 You have a figure for the price by renting directly?

Now the big problem for me will be deciding which one to choose. I would be grateful for your input which one will fit me best.

Sorry for the delay in replying further. I'm not sure what you mean by "dark" and "dirty action" :o ? Certainly, the area is very Thai and Viangbua represents quite a non-Thai outpost in the area since it opened in November 2004. As it happens, the other two existing farang venues are both gay-oriented (Lotus Hotel garden bar and Adam's Apple show-bar in the same soi); then again, both Novotel and Rimping supermarket are just down the road towards the moat.

Personally, I love the area - largely because it's tourist-free; if/when I want that kind of thing (e.g. farang-oriented bars etc), I can easily go to where it's inevitable - and just as easily escape from it. The local bars etc I have seen seem harmless enough; given my current limited Thai language abilities, yes - I'd probably find it easier when accompanied by a Thai/Thai-speaker but not impossible without.

Similarly, a farang face is still a rare enough sight in the local shops and market for me to be welcomed with a bit of extra interest and big smiles - particularly when the same people see me again after the first time and greet me. It all feels very natural and more like what I think of as the "real" Thailand - dare I say it "charming".

Incidentally, the nearby Thanin Market offer a fantastic choice of cheap eating - both cooked on the spot and from the fresh produce area. I love to walk round there and buy this and that - even if it's usually just fruit and snacks rather than ingredients for cooking.

Final thought - the restaurant at Viangbua is very good and less expensive than you might think from looking at it.