BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
dindong

The Future Of Chiang Rai.

What with all the developments and bye passes I wonder what Chiang Rai will look like in the future.

Just came across this bye pass map of Chiang Rai.

I hope they put roundabouts on it instead of traffic lights.This link is in Thai but you can translate it in Google Chrome.

http://www.enticcompany.com/chiangrai_web/web/html/map.html

http://www.enticcompany.com/chiangrai_web/web/html/home.html

basemap_04.jpg

Edited by dindong

unsure.png I would have thought the section of the bypass they are working on to the east would have been enough but obviously not.

don't suppose it would be worth me putting in a bid for the tarmac Job. I could get some of those Guys back home who always offer to Tarmac your driveway with an Irish Accent over here. they'd do a better Job. The design must call for about a six inch surface of tarmac. I'd give them an inch and pocket the rest . They'd get half inch more than they are expecting on the finished Job. Everyones Happy. I could buy an Island in the Philiipines whistling.gif

The Tinkers would have a Job for life going round slapping a bucket of Tarmac in the Holes. not hard work really, no need to compact it , just let the vehicles compact it themselves. I have plenty of trees at home so I could provide all the brush wood you need to put at the side of the hole for good luck or whatever they put it there for. And I'd do all this work in the dry season instead of the rain season which would be considered controversial I know but I'd save a fortune , wouldn't need to spray the bitumen emulsion everywhere in a desperate attempt to keep the road open.

Although on second thoughts maybe I would open a Chain of Car wash places , do the work in the rain season, spray as much of that black <deleted> I can get my hands on and charge about 300 baht per vehicle to get it removed.

Edited by jubby

I can't see more than a horizontal strip of the map you posted. The by-pass hwy on the east side of town is a good idea. Some other things C.Rai City Fathers (more Chinese than Thai) have discussed:

>>>> train from Chiang Mai.

>>>> subway system (I bs not. I saw the proposed 2-D map at the planning dept.). A battery run trolley system would be better.

>>>> a hwy (and new bridge?) going around the west side of town. I dearly hope they don't build that. I have properties in that hilly region, and a hwy would be wrong for other reasons. Incidentally, the route goes straight from the new prison to the U in Bandu (is there a message in there somewhere?). One main reason that route is not being built is a member of Shinawatre clan owns property on the proposed route and he doesn't want the intrusion.

>>>> As far as I know, there is no discussion among officials re; alternative power, even tho there are many possibilities (solar, river, thermal, methane, etc). Similarly, I doubt there are serious talks about adding parks. Chiang Rai, like every other city in Thailand, has a paucity of parks and essentially no dedicated bicycle/jogging routes. There's much could be done, but the city elders can only think about commercial infrastructure. It's got to stink of money for them to consider it.

Edited by maidu

a word about the dam, east of town. It turns a multi-Km section of river in to a lake, with stagnant water and hyacinths - all the way to and beyond the 4 lane super Hwy bridge. The purpose of the dam is irrigation for (what else?) rice fields. Thai farmers have little capacity to think beyond growing that one crop, which is 99% starch, with little nutrition and low market value. Anyhow, the dam is not needed. Better to let the water flow naturally. The farmers will do alright without the excess water. They'd do even better if they tried growing crops with more market value.

Unlike the train to Chiang Rai, I am reliably informed that this road is going to happen.

It is anyones guess what Chiang Rai will look like in the future. Plans come and go so I put off judgement until I actually see what happens, but it can be fun to listen to people tell you the train will run through their land or what devastating effects development will have on Chiang Rai. I seem to remember a lot of gloom and doomers decrying the evils of Central Plaza. I figure you either embrace change and move on, or end up fighting a loosing battle.

Looks a bit on the small side, I was expecting an awful lot of dosh from my Tarmac Scam. If the Tarmac doesn't work out I'm going to introduce brass rivets to Thailand for machetes and the like. I bought one about 10 years ago in the UK, cheap as chips about 5 dollars and the handle just won't fall off. got to be down to those Brass or copper rivets. Just imagine how many machetes there are in Thailand, I mean everyone must have 2 or 3 per household, and the handle comes flying off every 10 minutes and they fix it constantly as if its connected to the Wheel of Dharma in a constant Birth/rebirth cycle.

anyway, isn't the Forum chatty today. got to be a good thing, surely smile.png

Looks a bit on the small side, I was expecting an awful lot of dosh from my Tarmac Scam. If the Tarmac doesn't work out I'm going to introduce brass rivets to Thailand for machetes and the like. I bought one about 10 years ago in the UK, cheap as chips about 5 dollars and the handle just won't fall off. got to be down to those Brass or copper rivets. Just imagine how many machetes there are in Thailand, I mean everyone must have 2 or 3 per household, and the handle comes flying off every 10 minutes and they fix it constantly as if its connected to the Wheel of Dharma in a constant Birth/rebirth cycle.

anyway, isn't the Forum chatty today. got to be a good thing, surely smile.png

Who cares, we only have till Dec 21

Nah, thats been Called off. They found a Mayan Calendar early this year that goes well beyond the looming Doomsday. Bit of a pisser I know, but thats how these things go. whistling.gif

Unlike the train to Chiang Rai, I am reliably informed that this road is going to happen.

Which road? As I mentioned earlier, the map graphic only loads (for me) as a horizontal strip.

Do you mean the 'ring road' going east side (already partially built)? ....or the one proposed for west side of town?

One infrastructure improvement which would help Chiang Rai immensely is an overpass at the Hi-Ek near the King Mengrei statue. I have mentioned this before, but it's still needed as much now as ever.

Imagine a two lane overpass going from to-and-fro from about 300 meters south of the intersection (where there's a very wide part of the hwy, so it wouldn't be hard to build) - over the intersection to connect at about 200 meters north of the intersection (narrower, but do-able). Altogether about half a Km.

Here's what would happen with such an improvement:

All traffic going north or south would not have any stoplights at that large and always slow intersection.

All traffic going other directions or changing to side streets Would use a large 'roundabout' located under the overpass. NO TRAFFIC LIGHTS WOULD BE NEEDED THERE AT ALL!

Paris and Washington D.C. both have dozens of 'roundabouts' and they work rather well. Both city road networks were disigned by the same man, btw, but I don't know his name offhand.

Sorry to post so often, but wanted to add (regarding the intersection blurb, above):

I've estimated that each hour between 7 am and 11 pm, hundreds of vehicles run red lights at that Chiang Rai's busiest intersection by the Mengrei statue. Not dozens, hundreds! If you don't believe me, take a few minutes to observe the traffic there.

To project further, I estimate every hour, throughout the city, an average of 10,000 vehicles run red lights. You may wonder, "what's the big deal, it happens all over Thailand." Maybe so, but people can and do get injured and killed by such selfish behavior. Plus, it's rude to other drivers who are forced to accommodate law breakers, by waiting and/or weaving around the runners.

Not once, in the history of Chiang Rai, has anyone ever been busted for running a red light. If I'm wrong about that, let me know, thanks.

Reading your posts always brings a smile to my face as an image of Don Quixote comes to mind almost every time.smile.png I just can't figure out who your Sancho Panza might be.wink.png Always entertaining.smile.png

Which road? As I mentioned earlier, the map graphic only loads (for me) as a horizontal strip.

Do you mean the 'ring road' going east side (already partially built)? ....or the one proposed for west side of town?

you have to click on the first link. it'll show what appears to be a huge bypass well to the south, west and north of Chiang Rai.

should help your Ha yaek problem too.

you know people are only gonna pile trash under that Overpass your proposing, and you'll be the only one interested in clearing it up . Its sure to over stretch you wink.png

Edited by jubby