Shock Rise On Imported Alcohol By 400 Baht/Litre

webfact

I just asked Foodland Pattaya how much a bottle of wine will increase by. They said they have no information yet. Come back tomorrow and find out. Meanwhile, there is an imbargo on bulk sales.

However, I doubt it's going to be a "shock rise", as the sensationalist headline claims. coffee1.gif

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The government is (also) hitting the poor again. They know that the poor like to drink beer and whiskey and that a huge percentage of Thais are addicted to one or the other or to both. While the poor should give up smoking and/or drinking, I expect that most will not.

I suppose that the government has to bring in some more income since it is borrowing, spending, and stealing so much.

Nice.... For a botte of red wine costing 500 baths We will now pay 620... 140 % increase !

Do they realise that this is a commercial suicide ?

Well I think its a quite effective remedy to weed out the alcoholic expats and slimeball slugs in the Thai Society who can't make it a day without drinking... The cigarettes should go up much more, I hate smoking......

Come on people. Where and when did you learn math? I saw someone saying that an increase of 120 baht on a 500 baht bottle would be 140%. What?

I have no memory of what a beer or a bottle or whisky costs but whatever.

Let's say a domestic 1 litre bottle 40% ABV whisky is 500 baht.

40% of 1 litre = 40cl.

It means that there is 40cl of alcohol in that bottle.

40% of 120baht is 48 baht. (120*0,40)

So that's a whopping 8 baht increase. That bottle would now cost 508 baht. Slow down people.

Or you could just multiply 120 baht by the beverages amount of alcohol. A 5,4% beer would increase by 6,48 baht.

Sorry. I am wrong. My calculations just show what the taxes would be with the new figures, not actual increase.

Edited by h0ser

does this have any thing to do with heineken/tiger? or are they following Australia ? TAX TAX TAX TAX ON TAX(is your pockets empty yet) then it will be LETS GO ON STRIKE FOR MORE MONEY??? seen it all before! just give me a gun now !!!!!!!! I forgot it's 2012 it's the end of the world!!!!!!!!

Edited by khun graham

The government is (also) hitting the poor again. They know that the poor like to drink beer and whiskey and that a huge percentage of Thais are addicted to one or the other or to both. While the poor should give up smoking and/or drinking, I expect that most will not.

I suppose that the government has to bring in some more income since it is borrowing, spending, and stealing so much.

Nice.... For a botte of red wine costing 500 baths We will now pay 620... 140 % increase !

Well I think its a quite effective remedy to weed out the alcoholic expats and slimeball slugs in the Thai Society who can't make it a day without drinking... The cigarettes should go up much more, I hate smoking......

People would still find the money to feed their addictions

The rates on alcohol products would be raised to Bt120 per litre of alcohol for domestically-produced products and Bt400 for imported products.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-21

It never ceases to amaze me at the incessant illustrations of shoddy journalism that get put on display here.... And I'm not talking about ThaiVisa, which is just reposting stuff originally written by Thai "journalism" outlets like The Nation and MCOT.

It's totally meaningless to say the tax on something is going to rise TO some level, without telling folks what the comparable rates are now, thus enabling the calculation of what the actual increase will be.

Somebody's getting paid day in and day out to write these kinds of B.S. articles... It really makes me wonder where they learned their trade... working at 7/11 or cutting watermelons at the local soi fruit stand???

• Like 2

Well it wont reduce consumption of either. For the poor it will simply mean less money on the table for food for the children whilst Dad still smokes his tabs and drinks whiskey.

Well if it is on imported alcohol only it will make no difference to the poor. They only drink local beer and rice whisky they make themselves

The rates on alcohol products would be raised to Bt120 per litre of alcohol for domestically-produced products and Bt400 for imported products

Come on people. Where and when did you learn math? I saw someone saying that an increase of 120 baht on a 500 baht bottle would be 140%. What?

40% of 1 litre = 40cl.

So that's a whopping 8 baht increase. That bottle would now cost 508 baht. Slow down people.

Or you could just multiply 120 baht by the beverages amount of alcohol. A 5,4% beer would increase by 6,48 baht.

The news on the nation says the increase is per litre "regardless of alcohol content" is that incorrect as many posters are referring to the increase calculated by abv

40% of 1 litre = 40cl.

I hope so, except for the article in the Nation (for what that is worth)...states very clearly: 120b per liter of local drinks...REGARDLESS OF ALCOHOL CONTENT...

That last sentence was left out of the TV copy..

We'll find out tomorrow I guess, but 1 bottle of Singha now at 55b would then cost about 110b...

Edited by Schuimpge

does this have any thing to do with heineken/tiger? or are they following Australia ? TAX TAX TAX TAX ON TAX(is your pockets empty yet) then it will be LETS GO ON STRIKE FOR MORE MONEY??? seen it all before! just give me a gun now !!!!!!!! I forgot it's 2012 it's the end of the world!!!!!!!!

i have the same feeling that oz is paving the tax way for thailand. Is carbon tax here yet?

• Like 1

The rates on alcohol products would be raised to Bt120 per litre of alcohol for domestically-produced products and Bt400 for imported products.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-21

It never ceases to amaze me at the incessant illustrations of shoddy journalism that get put on display here.... And I'm not talking about ThaiVisa, which is just reposting stuff originally written by Thai "journalism" outlets like The Nation and MCOT.

It's totally meaningless to say the tax on something is going to rise TO some level, without telling folks what the comparable rates are now, thus enabling the calculation of what the actual increase will be.

Somebody's getting paid day in and day out to write these kinds of B.S. articles... It really makes me wonder where they learned their trade... working at 7/11 or cutting watermelons at the local soi fruit stand???

I disagree. Responsible reporting dictates you check your sources before you plaster contradictory headlines. Especially when the source is The Nation, or pretty much any Thai source, given the translation skills. I have to conclude this belongs in your shoddy journalism category.

40% of 1 litre = 40cl.

Sorry. I am wrong. My calculations just show what the taxes would be with the new figures, not actual increase.

With immediate effect, the excise tax rates on eight cigarette brands will be raised by Bt6-Bt8 a pack. The rates on alcohol products would be raised to Bt120 per litre of alcohol for domestically-produced products and Bt400 for imported products.

The tax is levied on the product, not on a degree or per percentage point of alcool content.

And 40% alcohol by volume is the same as 80% proof.

i have the same feeling that oz is paving the tax way for thailand. Is carbon tax here yet?

not yet thats next week, but foods gone up?????

Mannnnn, this is something that really worries me, I love sangsom and they already increased it price so this means that it is going to get even expensier? the first miracle that Jesus made was to transform water into wine so alcohol must be good, wait , i forgot that this is not a christiam country hahahhaha

• Like 1

I'm teetotal (in smug mode). Alcohol and motorbikes don't really go well together. What bothers me is the outrageous price I have to pay for orange juice. It's twice the price in Thailand it is in the UK. And the UK doesn't even grow its own oranges!

(late addition) I'm off to France soon where I now have to carry a breathalyser in my car/motorbike even though I don't drink. And you think Thai laws are crazy?

I heard one bar owner say that the reason they charge alot for soft drinks is that tea totalers tend to nurse their drinks much longer than those who buy alcoholic drinks e.g. up to an hour sipping one soda/OJ.

Excellent, the price of alcohol can't be high enough. It's one of the most dangerous drugs in the world, it causes death and mayhem in traffic, spousal abuse and all sorts of aggression. In another thread: "Drunken Swede kills tourist from New Zealand". I am convinced he would not have killed that guy if he were sober!

• Like 1

Considering the strength of opinion and concern on the subject, I think after stirring up such a hornet's nest, the admin who started this thread could have got a member of staff to call the department concerned/read the original Thai or both by now to clear up this mess.....

• Like 2

I dont know what all the worry is about, beer you pay Bt50, 60, 70, 80 at the bar and you can get it at 7/11 for about Bt30.

I'm worried that 7/11 still won't have music, low lights, and nekkid wimmen.

• Like 1

You must be a mathematician

A very clean one,too what with all them baths!!
  • Like 2

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-21

Most were probably political speech writers.