Shock Rise On Imported Alcohol By 400 Baht/Litre

webfact

Excellent, the price of alcohol can't be high enough. It's one of the most dangerous drugs in the world, it causes death and mayhem in traffic, spousal abuse and all sorts of aggression. In another thread: "Drunken Swede kills tourist from New Zealand". I am convinced he would not have killed that guy if he were sober!

Who kill most people drunks or sober people?

Sober American soldiers would be the winners here I believe...

American soldiers are the winners everywhere...

I don't think they can compete with the Germans and the Russians - the last one's werent sober for sure though.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My liqor store warned me a week ago that prices will go up. My regular 1 liter Benmore wil go up about 20 Baht a bottle...maybe 30.

No need to hamster.

Well my liquor store put the price up a week ago anyway....they said the tax had just gone up.

So how did they know? Is somebody (who can see the future) profiteering, or is it that the "English language" press is just behind all the time?

Excellent, the price of alcohol can't be high enough. It's one of the most dangerous drugs in the world, it causes death and mayhem in traffic, spousal abuse and all sorts of aggression. In another thread: "Drunken Swede kills tourist from New Zealand". I am convinced he would not have killed that guy if he were sober!

Rubbish, whats between your ears at birth determines if you become or are an asshol_e. I drink a few and assault no one. Do you know why ?, I have the same temperament as my dad.
  • Like 1

"80 degrees" means 40%, so any alcoholic drink under 40% alcohol content is going to increase by 120 B/liter. On a 660 mL bottle of domestic beer, that's 79.2 baht per bottle. So if you're paying, say 50 baht per bottle now, you'll be paying 129 baht per bottle when this goes into effect.

And we know that there are many bottles of imported alcohol that are already more than 400 baht per liter, so this is clearly a raise "by" 400 baht on imported alcohol, not "to" 400 baht.

Maybe it'll be a good thing, as I think some of my fellow contributors on this site have burned a few too many brain cells for any serious critical thinking, LOL. Just taking the piss, guys. Keep on chugging.

Only pissing yourself, already confirmed on a very english Thai newspaper that it's based on percentage of alcohol...meaning an average 5-10 baht increase for most local drinks

Better hope so or us drinkers are scr*wed.

Excellent, the price of alcohol can't be high enough. It's one of the most dangerous drugs in the world...

saai.gif

Folk harping on about how cheap booze is here need to realise that alcohol in Thailand has always been expensive, relatively. Look at the price of a beer compared to a main course in a standard Thai eatery. Whatever one's blinkered view on alcohol, with regard to the Thai people, all these extra costs are screwing with their lives, and price rises have been incessant this last two years especially. Though the norm worldwide, we can thank one entity here for that... the 300 baht wage thing was never meant as a freebie.

In general, the place is pricing itself way over its station--mutton dressed as lamb comes to mind--and once they're up, they never come down. Expect more of the same. I, for one, hope prices continue to spiral, ole Muang Thai shoots itself in the foot, and the people revolt--heads off time down parliament + hail the resurrection of Burma and the sacking of Gunrgthep!

Btw, what is lao khao like?

• Like 1

Well it wont reduce consumption of either. For the poor it will simply mean less money on the table for food for the children whilst Dad still smokes his tabs and drinks whiskey.

That would most likely be Lao Khao, which probably would be exempted from the tax hike? unsure.png

• Like 1

Probably based on 100%, given the fact that most spirits don't have a content over 40% it will be not that high.

Yes, it depends on how theyre measured BUT theyre still the same.

YOU say 40%, THEY say 80 proof. Same thing.

Beer manufacturers use 2 different measurements: ABW (alcohol by weight) ABV (alcohol by volume).......same outcome expressed 2 different ways.

Rubbish, whats between your ears at birth determines if you become or are an asshol_e. I drink a few and assault no one. Do you know why ?, I have the same temperament as my dad.

do you know renbe been drinking 52yrs.pissed more times than sober but never got into a fight or asaulted anybody,its the person that kills not alcohol.you need to stop taking those pills.i pay 2,400bht per case of 12lts.of my favourite drink if it goes up to some stupid price it will be time to emigrate.mind you the smugglers will stop dealing in drugs and move on to alcohol.here's my order.

Excellent, the price of alcohol can't be high enough. It's one of the most dangerous drugs in the world...

saai.gif

Folk harping on about how cheap booze is here need to realise that alcohol in Thailand has always been expensive, relatively. Look at the price of a beer compared to a main course in a standard Thai eatery. Whatever one's blinkered view on alcohol, with regard to the Thai people, all these extra costs are screwing with their lives, and price rises have been incessant this last two years especially. Though the norm worldwide, we can thank one entity here for that... the 300 baht wage thing was never meant as a freebie.

In general, the place is pricing itself way over its station--mutton dressed as lamb comes to mind--and once they're up, they never come down. Expect more of the same. I, for one, hope prices continue to spiral, ole Muang Thai shoots itself in the foot, and the people revolt--heads off time down parliament + hail the resurrection of Burma and the sacking of Gunrgthep!

Btw, what is lao khao like?

What is lao khao like, it is like fire, ask some families who have lost members in their 20's after a few years of drinking it.

So how will it increase revenue if less is sold at a higher price?

And, a bottle of beer (660ml) is to increase by around 100 baht?

Exactamundo. That is what the 13 year old boys, posing as finance ministers, MP's, and other lawmakers do not see. Same with the wine industry. Thailand has been losing billions of dollars (yes dollars, not baht) per year, by imposing the extraordinary 460 percent duty on wine. They could have a vibrant wine industry here. Thousands could be employed, and it would also boost tourism. But, in order to protect a handful of wineries, who produce a very substandard product, Thailand has seen fit to impose the draconian wine import fees. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Talk about a lack or creativity, or thinking outside the box. It boggles the mind to think how far the LOS has come with these small minded "men" who create this misguided policy, year after year. And now, let's take something that is working fairly well, in the case of imported li

Looks like I will be be going to Cambodia more than my present once a month.

For US$12. you can pick up a litre bottle of most whiskys or whiskeys. whilst gin, bacardi and vodka are around $5/6 (200bt)

This is precisely what will happen as it did in the USA during prohibition. Simple supply and demand.

Illegal stills and smuggling overcame ANY laws that were enacted. Alcohol wins.....again.

Completely anarchic tax system which neither raises the maximum revenue, or encourages responsible consumption. Higher alcohol content product ends up being taxed proprtionately less?

However, I am more concerned as to why you need a "secret" tax rise at such instant short notice. They run out of money or something?

So can someone explain how this affects the free trade agreement with Australia http://www.dfat.gov....y-outcomes.html ??

For agricultural products subject to tariff rate quotas prior to 1 January 2005, Thailand has either eliminated the tariff and quota restrictions or will expand access for Australia over a transition period varying according to the product, before final elimination of the tariff rate quota.

Wine, beer and spirits

• Thailand immediately reduced its previous 54% tariffs on wine to 40%, and will phase the tariff to zero in 2015.
  • For beer and spirits, Thailand immediately reduced its previous tariffs of 60% to 30%, before phasing to zero in 2010

I have some importation/export experience, though none in alcohol, so forgive me if Im off (and dont quote me on this...)

Tariffs agreements typically apply to IMPORTATION duties only, NOT the taxes within the country itself.

This means Thailand could still be honoring the original tariff negotiation and STILL raise taxes within its borders.

The taxes outside Thai borders affects other countries while, of course, the taxes within do not.

So how will it increase revenue if less is sold at a higher price?

And, a bottle of beer (660ml) is to increase by around 100 baht?

A raise of taxes will barely have any effect on the consumption. People just adapt to it and continue as before. So, don't worry to much about the revenue for the government. Do Thai people welcome it ? Surely not. Would they oppose to it ? I don't think so. Only some people, Thai as well as farang, just might be wining a little at the beginning, No more and certainly no less. By the way, it looks like the mega water prevention plans have to be paid for in some way. tongue.png

• Like 1

blink.png pages are added to this topic faster than I can read.. I get to the end of page 3, and the total is 4.. I get to the end of page 4, the total is now 6.. Slow down everyone, I'm falling behind!!!

Edit: OMG!!!!! And I wrote this and now it's 8...!? Prepare for a China Syndrome Forum Meltdown!! ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

From another media source, which far more clearly describes the tax situation than the initial posting here:

The alcohol excise tax on rice whiskey was increased from 120 baht a litre to 150 baht a litre based on alcohol content, and for blended liquor from 300 baht to 350 baht per litre. The tax on brandy increased to a maximum of 50 per cent from the existing rate of 48 per cent.

The new rate does not apply to beer or wine, which already face maximum taxes.

• Like 1

blink.png pages are added to this topic faster than I can read.. I get to the end of page 3, and the total is 4.. I get to the end of page 4, the total is now 6.. Slow down everyone, I'm falling behind!!!

I'm feeling the same way Winnie. Barely can keep up myself.

A post with links about homebrewing has been removed as homebrewing of alcohol is illegal:

We have all seen Thais drinking their homemade rice wine at weddings or while relaxing in the countryside and the ubiquitous Bangkok corner side or rolling cart Yaa Dong sellers with containers of some concoction of herbs like ginseng, plaonoi, tree bark and vodka or whiskey. That is why expats and Thai nationals are always shocked when they find out that it is illegal to produce and/or sell alcohol in Thailand without a license. The Thai Government authorizes local governments to regulate alcohol production and sale under the Health Code. Local Government Rules 112 Section 58 NDOR, enacted 20th of July 1995, ‡15 provides that individuals cannot produce or sell alcohol without a license from the Thai Government. There is no exception in the law for personal consumption. While the law is obviously not enforced with any vigor in Thailand it is still against the law and those that engage in such activity are always in jeopardy of being caught.

Edit: OMG!!!!! And I wrote this and now it's 8...!? Prepare for a China Syndrome Forum Meltdown!! wink.png

Just been to the corner shop.

They know nothing about it, maybe hope for all us Alkies