Chiang Mai To Chiang Rai Via Phayao

Potter

Just drived from CM to CR via Phayao.

I had the following reasons:

* I wanted to see something different

* I knew the casual road was under construction ahead

* I knew right after Amphur Mae Suia there would be mountains and I wanted to avoid these.

I turned about 100 kilometers before CR to the right. Here is how it went:

* 30 kilometers with mountains/bad road

* 20 kilometers with (soft) mountains/good road

* 100 kilometers of fast super high way

* A lot less traffic

* A couple of waterfalls and a beautiful viewpoint on the top of the mountain.

* Different cast.

Fang - Mai Suia is some of the prettiest scenery I have seen.

How is the road Mae Jarn - Fang?

Mae Suay to Fang has the best scenery.. From Mae Jarn, the road is fairly fast most of the way, but a lot less interesting, scenery wise, unless you go the Doi Mae Salong way... Going to CM adds at least an hour to your time over the route through Mae Suay, south..

The Cm/Phayao/CR route is nice, but I don't care for both of the mountain sections that lead up to the lookout... Less traffic and road works is nice, though. From my house on Mae Jo rd, route 1011 to Phrao, then due East to Wiang Pa Pao (south of Mae Suay) is sometimes my preferred route. I get tired of the mountain section between Doi Saket and the Mae Kachan Hot Springs...

I just moved to Phayao province from Sa Kaeo province. I like it much better here.

The weathers great and so is the scenery.

I live in ampher Chun. There are lots of rice fields and longan trees around. But when I want to go for a ride on my little Honda, the hills are not far away.

The trip from Chaing Kham to Nan is pretty awesome too. Lots of hill tribe communities along the way and the mountians are breath taking.

Nan is indeed a beautiful town and the road to it is great. It is about 240 kilometers from Chiang Rai (over Payao) and worth a visit. Don't forget the museum.

I just want to inform you that the distance from Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong is only about 100 kilometers if you follow the signs leading to Waterford Valley. You take to the left in Ban Payamorn, which is the first village after Hi Yek, passing under the portrait of His Majesty.

After five kilometers, not far from the dam, you have to pass a kind of Bailey bridge which is placed above the old bridge which broke in two parts.

Concrete rings prevented lorries from passing this bridge. But now these concrete rings are put further apart to enable lorries to pass. So the temporary bridge must have grown stronger :o .

I am always happy when I arrive healthy at the other side.

Limbo.