Bad Connection For Mobile Internet.

monsieurhappy

Help ! I'm making this inquiry for a friend who cannot connect to the internet.

He is trying to connect using a dongle and AIS.

He lives about 1/2 mile from Maprachan lake.

The sim card has plenty of hours left on it but just lately connection has been very flakey.

Does anyone in this area use the same method for connecting to internet and do you have the same problem?

Any useful advice or information would be gratefully received!

Thanks

Hi,

I've been connecting with a TruemoveH dongle for quite a few years and was reasonably happy with the connection speed. I also live about a 1/2 mile from Mabprachan.

But last month it slowed to the point where opening newspaper pages was taking up to 30-40 seconds. I gave it a few days but it stayed the same so I got in touch with True and found out that my 'unlimited' monthly connection has a 5gb limit which had been reached and the system had automatically reduced my connection speed (down to 10% of nominal) until the end of the monthly cycle - then I'm back to normal speed until my unlimited limit is reached again.

After I stopped laughing I asked when this limit had suddenly appeared and she told me it's always been there. My wife later confirmed the same as she signed for it. As usual I was oblivious to this.

At this stage I was only 5 or 6 days into the monthly cycle and even though I sometimes download a bit of music, I couldn't understand what was going on and why it was reached so quickly until I realized the kids have been you-tubing and playing a lot of online games over the holidays and especially over those few days.

I think we're paying 899/month for this 'unlimited' connection.

I might be wrong but I think AIS have a limit as well.

Hi Mogy and thanks for your reply. It does make sense what your saying but in the case of my friend, he has no kids and only uses the intenet very sparingly. I've been getting on at him for years to upgrade to someone like BTV.

He lives a way off the road so used the dongle instead of paying to have a cable run. I was wondering if there's any work going on with AIS in the area as up to a couple of weeks ago he didn't have this problem. Even his mobile phone can sometimes play up !

I've been noticing the same thing with our AIS phone signals. It's been degraded for a number of months already. I contacted them about it and they said that there was nothing they were aware of. So nothing else to do for them.

You mention BTV cable : I'm interested to know what's their connection like in the area ? I've heard they can be hit and miss with speeds.