Pro'S And Con'S Of Aonang Beach ?

galilee

MANINSURAT

I'm basically with you,I find MOST of the Muslims in Ao-Nang to be very tolerant, no Bin Ladens here for sure. However on two points as I raised in post No20

The problem with the tuk tuk drivers,many ex-pats think that these drivers are all Muslim, can you confirm if this is so or not,

Secondly as per my post 20, why have Some of the mosques increased the volume of the call to prayer?

I cannot agree with your comments regarding the Thais from up north,as I've already

Said, I think Most of the buddhist,from where ever they come from in Thailand are good people, just the same as Most Muslims.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MANINSURAT

I'm basically with you,I find MOST of the Muslims in Ao-Nang to be very tolerant, no Bin Ladens here for sure. However on two points as I raised in post No20

The problem with the tuk tuk drivers,many ex-pats think that these drivers are all Muslim, can you confirm if this is so or not,

Secondly as per my post 20, why have Some of the mosques increased the volume of the call to prayer?

I cannot agree with your comments regarding the Thais from up north,as I've already

Said, I think Most of the buddhist,from where ever they come from in Thailand are good people, just the same as Most Muslims.

Thanks for the level-headed questions.

Simply the increase in noise for the mosques is due to the increase in ambient noise in the area in general. Mostly owing to traffic and construction. Which is mostly as a result of more tourists being here. So they need to get louder to be heard over the noise we generate.

This is what made me quite irate before, as you can see.

Also that more Muslims from the hinterlands (if you want to call them that) are coming into the Ao Nang area in greater number and basically the message needs to be spread louder and be heard more clearly as there's more Muslims and they're more spread out.

That makes perfect sense to me.

I think it's lovely. It tells me what time it is, never disturbs me in the morning and I used to live in Moo Baan Cholada, which is very very close to the mosque under construction on the main drag. It does not have to disturb you even if you live right adjacent to it.

It upsets you or disturbs you if you want to have a problem with it.

The tuk-tuk drivers are not all Muslim, although lots do work in that profession. It appears to me that the real three wheelers are where you find the most of the Muslims, with their sound systems blaring out.

The Buddhist tuk tuk drivers drive the red (not all are red) 4 wheelers and mini electric cars.

Obviously that's not absolute and you find both religions driving both types.

Personally I think the whole tuk-tuk driving community is getting more aggressive and over-priced and personally I haven't taken a paid-for ride in one for over 4 years.

This isn't a problem specific to Krabi as we all know. If anyone in any job thinks they can get a few baht more, they're going to try and they'll fight tooth and nail with their competition for this money. Which tends to make the whole community aggressive as a whole. Basically they need to be. There does become a point where it gets too much.

I'd like to see them gone personally. As a sidenote on this motorcycle taxi drivers are predominantly Buddhist and there seems to be much less of a culture of aggression and over-pricing.

I'll maintain that my viewpoint on Northern Thais is just from personal experience and not a reflection of how other people experience Northern Thais.

It was more some books I've read recently, about how modern Thais are not practising what Theravada Buddhism teaches and things like having monks round to bless a house and merit-making (as it is practiced today) having nothing to do with Thai Buddhism and are imported.

People like to wax lyrical about being a proper Thai Buddhist (not you!) when they have no idea about what Theravada Buddhism actually is and how it shoud fit into Thai society.

They way I see it, Thailand is losing its links to Theravada Buddhism at an increasing rate and what you see is really only lip-service and faux merit making to not lose face.

These are just my views from my experiences here.

Please feel free to correct me or put forward alternatve views if you have them. I will not stand for bigotry though, which I think I've already made quite clear!

Edited by ManInSurat

MANINSURAT

Simply the increase in noise for the mosques is due to the increase in ambient noise in the area in general. Mostly owing to traffic and construction. Which is mostly as a result of more tourists being here. So they need to get louder to be heard over the noise we generate.

Uruguay

Also that more Muslims from the hinterlands (if you want to call them that) are coming into the Ao Nang area in greater number and basically the message needs to be spread louder and be heard more clearly as there's more Muslims and they're more spread out.

I think it's lovely. It tells me what time it is, never disturbs me in the morning and I used to live in Moo Baan Cholada, which is very very close to the mosque under construction on the main drag. It does not have to disturb you even if you live right adjacent to it.

The tuk-tuk drivers are not all Muslim, although lots do work in that profession. It appears to me that the real three wheelers are where you find the most of the Muslims, with their sound systems blaring out.

The Buddhist tuk tuk drivers drive the red (not all are red) 4 wheelers and mini electric cars.

Personally I think the whole tuk-tuk driving community is getting more aggressive and over-priced and personally I haven't taken a paid-for ride in one for over 4 years.

This isn't a problem specific to Krabi as we all know. If anyone in any job thinks they can get a few baht more, they're going to try and they'll fight tooth and nail with their competition for this money. Which tends to make the whole community aggressive as a whole. Basically they need to be. There does become a point where it gets too much.

I'd like to see them gone personally. As a sidenote on this motorcycle taxi drivers are predominantly Buddhist and there seems to be much less of a culture of aggression and over-pricing.

I'll maintain that my viewpoint on Northern Thais is just from personal experience and not a reflection of how other people experience Northern Thais.

It was more some books I've read recently, about how modern Thais are not practising what Theravada Buddhism teaches and things like having monks round to bless a house and merit-making (as it is practiced today) having nothing to do with Thai Buddhism and are imported.

People like to wax lyrical about being a proper Thai Buddhist (,not you!) when they have no idea about what Theravada Buddhism actually is and how it shoud fit into Thai society.

They way I see it, Thailand is losing its links to Theravada Buddhism at an increasing rate and what you see is really only lip-service and faux merit making to not lose face.

Please feel free to correct me or put forward alternatve views if you have them. I will not stand for bigotry though, which I think I've already made quite clear!

Thanks for the information on the taxi drivers, which from my own experience I agree with you.

I think you are probably correct in most of what you say regarding how modern day Thais practice Theravada Buddhism, however I still think the majority of the Buddhist in Ao-nang

Are nice people, the same as the majority of the Muslims.

Re your points on the increase of noise from the mosques, you say this is because of

1/ The increase in ambient noise in the area in general, mostly due to traffic and construction,

The result of more tourist coming to Ao-Nang.

What about the call to prayer at 5 in the morning, are you saying this is the reason for the increase in sound at 5 in the morning?

2/you say there are now more Muslims, and they are more spread out in the area.

This I do not agree with, as there has always been other Mosques covering the area,not as large as the new one in the centre of Ao-Nang, just smaller ones dotted around the area,enough

And loud enough for the Muslims to hear, and as I've said before, the power of the voice was sufficient, then it was upped with the loud speakers, and now the volume seems to have been further increased.

MANINSURAT

Uruguay

People like to wax lyrical about being a proper Thai Buddhist (,not you!) when they have no idea about what Theravada Buddhism actually is and how it shoud fit into Thai society.

Thanks for the information on the taxi drivers, which from my own experience I agree with you.

I think you are probably correct in most of what you say regarding how modern day Thais practice Theravada Buddhism, however I still think the majority of the Buddhist in Ao-nang

Are nice people, the same as the majority of the Muslims.

Re your points on the increase of noise from the mosques, you say this is because of

1/ The increase in ambient noise in the area in general, mostly due to traffic and construction,

The result of more tourist coming to Ao-Nang.

What about the call to prayer at 5 in the morning, are you saying this is the reason for the increase in sound at 5 in the morning?

2/you say there are now more Muslims, and they are more spread out in the area.

This I do not agree with, as there has always been other Mosques covering the area,not as large as the new one in the centre of Ao-Nang, just smaller ones dotted around the area,enough

And loud enough for the Muslims to hear, and as I've said before, the power of the voice was sufficient, then it was upped with the loud speakers, and now the volume seems to have been further increased.

I don't think they have different sound levels. It's just set at one level for all adhans, regardless of time.

I asked and these were the reasons I given and so I understand it to mean that there's more Muslims between all the mosques.

The closest masjid to Ban Ao Nang is in Khlong Haeng which is pretty far away. So there's those 2 mosques to cover the whole of the Ao Nang central area.

There's the masjid in Ao Nammao outside of that which is right by Shell Fossil Beach, very far away. So if you're between those two and that is a large residential area, you're going to have a time hearing it.

That's close to where I live and I can tell you there's lots of Muslims in the area.

Outside of that there's one on the way to Khlong Muang at Ban Na Tin. There's a couple at Khlong Muang and a madrasah halfway there and one near the turning for Tub Kaek.

Heading towards Krabi town you only have the one under construction in Sai Thai.

Lots and lots of people inbetween many kms from the sound.

It's a larger area they need to cover than you think, if you look at it on a map. All the kms inbetween are filling up with more and more people coming into the area from rural areas and further south.

Anyway, I'm just passing on what was said to me.

I think you'd have to be hard pressed to find it disturbing. I think it's a strange thing to criticize the Ao Nang area for.

When you think about the massive impact tourists have had on the area and mostly in negative ways, I think for us to have a complaint about them practising their religion, even if it does appear loud to some, is something we should tolerate.

They are incredibly tolerant of us. Money or no money. We should even slightly try to return the favour.

To not do that is very disrespectful and ignorant to those that try to make us feel comfortable in their country, for the most part.

It's the hypocrisy that gets me. Oh this is Thailand, be more like a Buddhist, they practise their religion so peacefully then turning to the Muslims and telling them to shut up.

They've been an integrated part of society in this area for hundreds of years. Malaysia's right next door and is 95% Islamic. It's hardly surprising they're going to have migrated up many centuries ago. That's what traders and sea gypsies did.

It's the ignorance of history and bothering to understand why the Muslims are here and what their cultural backgrounds are like.

It's more their right to send the adhan out, as loudly as they want, 5 times a day, then it will ever be our right to tell them to stop.

I don't think they have different sound levels. It's just set at one level for all adhans, regardless of time.

I asked and these were the reasons I given and so I understand it to mean that there's more Muslims between all the mosques.

The closest masjid to Ban Ao Nang is in Khlong Haeng which is pretty far away. So there's those 2 mosques to cover the whole of the Ao Nang central area.

There's the masjid in Ao Nammao outside of that which is right by Shell Fossil Beach, very far away. So if you're between those two and that is a large residential area, you're going to have a time hearing it.

That's close to where I live and I can tell you there's lots of Muslims in the area.

Outside of that there's one on the way to Khlong Muang at Ban Na Tin. There's a couple at Khlong Muang and a madrasah halfway there and one near the turning for Tub Kaek.

Heading towards Krabi town you only have the one under construction in Sai Thai.

It's a larger area they need to cover than you think, if you look at it on a map. All the kms inbetween are filling up with more and more people coming into the area from rural areas and further south.

I think you'd have to be hard pressed to find it disturbing. I think it's a strange thing to criticize the Ao Nang area for.

When you think about the massive impact tourists have had on the area and mostly in negative ways, I think for us to have a complaint about them practising their religion, even if it does appear loud to some, is something we should tolerate.

They are incredibly tolerant of us. Money or no money. We should even slightly try to return the favour.

To not do that is very disrespectful and ignorant to those that try to make us feel comfortable in their country, for the most part.

It's the hypocrisy that gets me. Oh this is Thailand, be more like a Buddhist, they practise their religion so peacefully then turning to the Muslims and telling them to shut up.

They've been an integrated part of society in this area for hundreds of years. Malaysia's right next door and is 95% Islamic. It's hardly surprising they're going to have migrated up many centuries ago. That's what traders and sea gypsies did.

It's the ignorance of history and bothering to understand why the Muslims are here and what their cultural backgrounds are like.

It's more their right to send the adhan out, as loudly as they want, 5 times a day, then it will ever be our right to tell them to stop.[/quote

There's quite few in the area between aonammoa roundabout And the petrol station, plus maybe other smaller ones, such as the one on the Na-Thai rd.

I don't accept that they all have the same sound levels.

I do agree that they have the right to broadcast the call to prayer, I just wish they'd make it a

Bit quieter in the morning, believe you me, I do need my beauty sleep.

It's more their right to send the adhan out, as loudly as they want, 5 times a day, then it will ever be our right to tell them to stop.[/quote

There's quite few in the area between aonammoa roundabout And the petrol station, plus maybe other smaller ones, such as the one on the Na-Thai rd.

I don't accept that they all have the same sound levels.

I do agree that they have the right to broadcast the call to prayer, I just wish they'd make it a

Bit quieter in the morning, believe you me, I do need my beauty sleep.

My point is, they shouldn't need to care about your beauty! It sounds so silly that they have to be mindful of our needs when practising their religion.

It is not a freight-train or space rocket launch taking place. They're not making the call from within your room. Unless you're right right next to it, i.e. directly adjacent to it and I have lived within 500m of what people consider to be the loudest one. In the last 6 months.

It's a melodic adhan over a loud hailer or speaker.

A set of ear plugs are cheap and very effective if you get something that's comfortable and I've used them in all sorts of various situations.

That tiny alteration to your daily routine. Put plugs in, take plugs out is too much? No rather, we'll tell local business owners to warn their clientele of "disturbing mosque noise" in some form of effort to try and marginalize the Muslim community in the area, some people will even go as far as to suggest that the mosque shouldn't be built and tourists and potential business owners will read this.

If you are a permanent or semi-permanent resident and you've seen a mosque proposed, being built or already built right next to where you're looking to move and that kind of thing can bother you, wouldn't you think about that fact then?

They don't go up over night, signs go up often 10 years in advance. The Masjid Ban Ao Nang has been under construction for 7-8 years.

There's so much that we do that should come across as totally repugnant to how they lead their lives in the own country, yet they do not bat an eyelid and treat you with respect.

We're not extending the same respect back.

Anyway, I believe it's their right for them to practice their religion how they see fit. Calling out for several minutes at 5 am isn't something people should see as a con.

If you're going to complain about this, put in howling/barking dogs too. They kick up a fuss regularly in my area, but I'm not going around to the owners and suggesting they move them or not have them there in the first place. That'd just be stupid. It'd also be asking for trouble.

Ok this is getting very cyclic and I'm just repeating myself over and over.

You think it's annoying and I think I shouldn't be so disrespectful to people who have welcomed me into their home and their land. They're actually from this place or the surrounding area. Their families have been here for generations.

Ignoring the logistics of sound and geography and mosque frequency and location for a second, I just think it's a question of human decency.

Right, I think this has worn itself out now. I'm tired talking about it.

I can't stop people from seeing it as something that ruins the area. I can only try to help them see my point of view, even if I can be quite loud and sarcastic in getting my point across.

Just don't be too hard on the Muslims, they're very tolerant of you and given the media-maniuplated global view of Islam and the troubles with insurgency, I think that's something that should be really shouted about.

Edited by ManInSurat

Hmmmmm........................well anyway, thanks for waking up a sleepy forum guys.

OP was about Pro's and Con's of Ao Nang, we have sort of wandered into a religious discussion.

A couple things GOM likes to keep close to the vest, religion and politics, it's amazing how heated people can on these topics.

One thing I've realized from ManinSurat's posts is that of the time I have spent in Ao Nang and Krabi, I have not really seen it.

I would say that is a con for most visitors. Cheers to all, GOM

• Like 1

Hmmmmm........................well anyway, thanks for waking up a sleepy forum guys.

OP was about Pro's and Con's of Ao Nang, we have sort of wandered into a religious discussion.

A couple things GOM likes to keep close to the vest, religion and politics, it's amazing how heated people can on these topics.

One thing I've realized from ManinSurat's posts is that of the time I have spent in Ao Nang and Krabi, I have not really seen it.

I would say that is a con for most visitors. Cheers to all, GOM

Very well said GOM.

Could not agree more.

I don't want add fuel to the fire but, but i ve been woken up @ the at 5 am by a vigorous muessine, needless to say i ve spent my day in a very good mood ;)

Also, the longtails boat are too noisy and poluting, i remember a law which was voted a few years ago and demanded to equip boats with mufflers... with a fine and arrestation ifnot respected guess what?!

I ve never seen any muffers yet on those boats. TIT

Oh and a big PRO, is taking a cocktail with my wife at the Hill top restaurant while enjoying the sunset, that kind of place we needed in Aonang.

@Maninsurat .. you state that you are married to a Muslim , does this not mean that you have to adopt her religious views ,which may help explain your "fervour " on these pages ?

I , for my part ,am married to a "Northern Thai " ...and , having lived in Northern Thailand , I can assure you that the people there are amongst the most decent , non-assuming in this Land . I both resent and reject your comments .

Local government and landowners are predominately Muslim and have chosen to develop and embrace Tourism and worship of the Baht ....

Tourists coming here have to accept the less advertised issues that are encountered here .

I've a mind to go and have a chat with the local imam, at that very mosque (who I do know), this evening and see what he makes of your and your reviewers bigotry. Just a shame I don't know which business it is you have. You could expect a protest of some kind.

I have no idea how I landed here, but have been reading your massive and over the top rants.

As an atheist I wonder just how welcome you will be at the local mosque. Unlike buddhist wats, the mosques do not welcome those outside of the islamic belief. They are distinctly unfriendly.

But as you are married to an islamic woman, you would have to be converted into islam in order to be accepted into the family. Including the small but significant and irreversible operation. Claiming atheism will raise eyebrows in a buddhist family, but will not be accepted in an islamic family. You will also be expected to bring up your children in the islamic faith, you will have no choice. Educating them in atheism or any other religious belief will instantly result in alienation from your family and the local community.

It is interesting to note that you seem to be very extremist in your attitude pro-islam and anti-everything-else. This does call into question your claimed atheism.

As you claim to have links into the mosque, then maybe you could point out that everybody has a mobile phone, and perhaps they could issue the "call to prayer" via SMS. After all, the koran does not mention using PA systems at full blast.

Which I think is the only criticism that has been given above, with the exception of all your ranting criticisms against all manner of other people.

Edited by 12DrinkMore
  • Like 2

I've a mind to go and have a chat with the local imam, at that very mosque (who I do know), this evening and see what he makes of your and your reviewers bigotry. Just a shame I don't know which business it is you have. You could expect a protest of some kind.

I have no idea how I landed here, but have been reading your massive and over the top rants.

As an atheist I wonder just how welcome you will be at the local mosque. Unlike buddhist wats, the mosques do not welcome those outside of the islamic belief. They are distinctly unfriendly.

But as you are married to an islamic woman, you would have to be converted into islam in order to be accepted into the family. Including the small but significant and irreversible operation. Claiming atheism will raise eyebrows in a buddhist family, but will not be accepted in an islamic family. You will also be expected to bring up your children in the islamic faith, you will have no choice. Educating them in atheism or any other religious belief will instantly result in alienation from your family and the local community.

It is interesting to note that you seem to be very extremist in your attitude pro-islam and anti-everything-else. This does call into question your claimed atheism.

As you claim to have links into the mosque, then maybe you could point out that everybody has a mobile phone, and perhaps they could issue the "call to prayer" via SMS. After all, the koran does not mention using PA systems at full blast.

Which I think is the only criticism that has been given above, with the exception of all your ranting criticisms against all manner of other people.

I am married to a Thai Muslim woman and did not have to have "a small but significant and irreversible operation". Yes took on a Muslim name out of respect to my wife's mothers wishes via the Imam. The family know I am not a Muslim by practice and there are no relationship difficulties whatsoever - I interact with family members nearly every day. I agree that some of ManInSurat posts were OTP. Don't agree with asking them to change their style of call to prayer communications.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

I am married to a Thai Muslim woman and did not have to have "a small but significant and irreversible operation". Yes took on a Muslim name out of respect to my wife's mothers wishes via the Imam. The family know I am not a Muslim by practice and there are no relationship difficulties whatsoever - I interact with family members nearly every day. I agree that some of ManInSurat posts were OTP. Don't agree with asking them to change their style of call to prayer communications.

I'm happy for you that you were not required to have a irreversible operation.

I do know of a few Farangs who have married Thai Muslims and they seem to have as successful a marriage as those to a none Muslim. One point you did not reply to, did you have to agree that any children from the marriage would have to be brought up as Muslims?.

Don't agree with asking them to change their style of call to prayer communications.

Well, maybe they don't have to use modern telecoms but in that case why do they feel the need to use high powered amplifiers to deliver the call to prayer?

Weren't around in the desert 1,500 years ago.

• Like 1

Hi Mancub and 12DrinkMore,

the topic is "pro's and Con's of Ao Nang"

Not to play wannabe moderator, but can we get back to that?

If you or ManinSurat want to start a religious thread, knock yourselves out but don't hijack this thread.

That being said, I am also guilty here of posting regarding this religious stuff (sorry), but as the old saying goes "opinions and A***hles everyone has one".

When it comes to religion and politics, man, this saying tends to be spot on.

Now, Pro and Con-McDonalds Ao Nang, horrible food (con), pretty good coffee.........(Pro).

If you or ManinSurat want to start a religious thread, knock yourselves out but don't hijack this thread.

That being said, I am also guilty here of posting regarding this religious stuff (sorry), but as the old saying goes "opinions and A***hles everyone has one".

Now, Pro and Con-McDonalds Ao Nang, horrible food (con), pretty good coffee.........(Pro).

Crap coffee, although maybe the Golden Arches in Ao Nang provides better than BKK.

I'm happy for you that you were not required to have a irreversible operation.

I do know of a few Farangs who have married Thai Muslims and they seem to have as successful a marriage as those to a none Muslim. One point you did not reply to, did you have to agree that any children from the marriage would have to be brought up as Muslims?.

regards children being raised in the Muslim faith - no problem, there is a lot of misinformation on what Muslims really believe, very few are extremist - personally I have more affinity to Vedanta

Don't agree with asking them to change their style of call to prayer communications.

Well, maybe they don't have to use modern telecoms but in that case why do they feel the need to use high powered amplifiers to deliver the call to prayer?

If you're so interested go & ask them

If you're so interested go & ask them

No point in discussing religious beliefs.

Probably get something like "Allah gave us the power amplifiers so we can spread the word of the prophet".

regards children being raised in the Muslim faith - no problem, there is a lot of misinformation on what Muslims really believe, very few are extremist - personally I have more affinity to Vedanta

I prefer a good old cuppa tea meself.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1580705/Woman-jailed-for-worshipping-tea-pot.html

Another example of religious tolerance and freedom of choice.

Well said , and yes ,correct ,you are also guilty of hi-jacking this thread ...way before myself or 12DrinkMore contributed .Maybe you would consider "knocking yourself " out ?

Pros : aside from the obvious beach /island deal ;

The many ,varied inland attractions within easy reach

The freedom of travelling the quieter back roads by motorcycle ,

The diversity of accomodation options available,

The sharp contrast between Low/High season

Cons;

Parking difficulty and general driving habits/abilities here

The increased number of minivans and Tuk -tuks

Kids tearing up the streets on illegal motorbikes ,

The lack of visible and effective policing

The high rates for National Park entry ( not the dual pricing argument - but the fees in general for both parties )

The lack of any public sports facilities .

Hope this is of some value !

Forgot to mention the annoyance of those advertising wagons with their repetitive loud hailers - Boxing stadium . bar, nightclub ( not to be too specific ) , disturbing the peace and causing traffic chaos !

On a more serious note , which was touched on by an earlier poster , the disturbing increase in groups of local youths hanging around Nopparat Thara and Ao Nammao rd areas in particular . Sometimes they like to be confrontational ,where a Farang is concerned. Often their gangs are well known to the police and they often come to Ao Nang from outside of Krabi town ,because of the opportunities for petty crime offered in a tourist area ( or so our local Policeman claims) !

Maybe you would consider "knocking yourself " out ?

You obviously don't understand the expression.

For anyone that lives in Thailand and has time, Ao Nang is known as a jumping off point not a destination as has been pointed out.

No way I would even use it as even that. My experiences in the Andaman are limited to getting to a pier that has as little drama as possible and getting a boat out to the most remote, lovely and coral gardened island as fast as possible.

I am 50 but even when I am 75, this will not change. I really dislike being around crowds, trash, noise...

BUT...I can see it could be a great place to LIVE, just not much of a holiday spot imo.

Maybe you would consider "knocking yourself " out ?

You obviously don't understand the expression.

And you've obviously forgotten the title of the thread ! By all means quote me in your replies , but have the decency to include my post in it's entirety , not just a selected line , thankyou !

For anyone that lives in Thailand and has time, Ao Nang is known as a jumping off point not a destination as has been pointed out.

No way I would even use it as even that. My experiences in the Andaman are limited to getting to a pier that has as little drama as possible and getting a boat out to the most remote, lovely and coral gardened island as fast as possible.

I am 50 but even when I am 75, this will not change. I really dislike being around crowds, trash, noise...

BUT...I can see it could be a great place to LIVE, just not much of a holiday spot imo.

Fully agree with your sentiments , and it is indeed ,in my opinion ,a great place to live .This populist theme of Ao Nang being a "jumping off " place for the islands ,however ,is something that may have been written in The Lonely Planet 15 years ago ,and would have been rightly applicable back then . I've witnessed Ao Nang evolve ( sadly sometimes ) , into a destination resort in it's own right .

The inreasing higher -end hotel developments , the Phuket style entertainment complex that is Centre Point , the Scandinavian Tour operators that offer package holidays here ,all bear witness to this . The focus has changed to the promotion of day trips , 4/5 islands, Phi Phi ,and numerous other options such as kayaking ,climbing ,elephant riding etc etc. Local businesses have grown also ,as a result , and it has become a popular choice for Thais and Malaysians to visit also for long week-ends .More and more ex-pats are choosing to "settle" here also .

I would consider places like Trang as more appropriate for those looking for more remote island adventures or Krabi town ,with the new ferry terminal ,as a jumping off place for the larger ,more popular island destinations ..

That's the last I'll also say on this matter as I've already wasted enough energy on dealing with religious bigotry to last me a lifetime.

I seriously think you are brainwashed you claim to be an atheist but seem to know an awful lot about Islam and cannot accept people have different views on this and other aspects of ao nanang

You have generalised and slagged of Russians,Koreans,swedes people from chaing mai,chaing rai,issan and Buddhist peoPle from krabi

Even someone commenting about noisy longtails you cannot except I ve heard loads of tourist complain about this there is even reviews on our website mentioning this yet you even claim there are no reviews any where like this.

You go on to claim the Muslims have been pushed out by the aggressive northern Thais and Buddhist locals and they can't run any of the businesses what rubbish what about pp family boat company and barracudas tour probably 2 of the biggest and successful tour operators in ao nang making millions both Muslim owned please show me where these aggressive Thais are stealing there bussiness

Sorry but this thread was for pros and cons of ao nang 2 people who run businesses here mentioned they get comments from customers regarding mosque and you cannot accept that and go on to slag of other posters ,Thais and tourists if you cannot accept other peoples views and resort to throwing insults and playing the race card you are probably better of not getting involved in Internet forums

totally agree

Oh and playing the race card? What are you actually talking about? Stop acting like an idiot and people will stop treating you like one.

----

Here, I tell you what.

I'll leave you alone, carry on believing what you want to believe about Muslims in Krabi and where they should and shouldn't be allow to build their mosques for the benefit of tourism.

That's totally your choice. I can't stop you from doing that.

Don't think for one second if I ever do meet you that I won't call you a bigot to your face. I will. I'll also have basically everyone else in Krabi backing me up as is evidenced by all the other posters in this thread.

I'm all for live and let live.

Peace out.

The irony is stunnning

YOUR A RACIST and a BIGOT. Read again everything u said in this thread!

u are obviously a deeply troubled and hatefull person.

Is strong that you say but I have the same feeling, he wrote a lot invalidating wherever other point of view with so much non sense or controversies, so is a quite boring for me to share more information or opinions about if someone is waiting for debating what you write.

...Difficult to share new things, good talks or wherever.

Edited by ITGabs

A defining statement from ManinSurat is:

Saying a mosque is loud and it disturbs the tourists is not a view or an opinion. It's bigotry plain and simple.

He clearly holds extreme beliefs which cannot be discussed.

I suspect, but don't know for sure, that he is a member of the Farang group who have "Gone Thai * 200% plus".

2 inflammatory posts removed. Rule 4) Not to flame fellow members.Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.