Young Thais' Emotional Quotient Needs Remedies

webfact

Young Thais' Emotional Quotient needs remedies

image_201208271658266784993D-AEAA-6837-FDF1E141067FCD82.jpg

BANGKOK, Aug 27 - The emotional intelligence quotient (EQ) of Thai youths from secondary schools through higher-learning institutes has decreased, with about one million children at risk of depression and emotional disturbances, according to the National Economic and Social Development Board (NESDB).

The NESDB on Monday reported a rising number of younger drinkers of alcoholic beverages at 250,000 people a year while nearly 15 million Thai teenagers from 14 years old have become cigarette smokers.

Young smokers comprise almost 15 million smokers--14.8 per cent aged 14 to 24 years—or an increase of 0.2 per cent from last year.

The NESDB said the emotional quotient (EQ) of younger Thais fell over15 per cent from 186.42 in 2002 to 169.72 in 2011, and pointed out that Thai children have less control of their emotions and have become less emotionally mature probably due to social changes.

A widespread crackdown on drugs in 2011 resulted in an increased number of teenagers being arrested on drug charges.

The NESDB also said that Thailand remains on the US human trafficking watch list for the third consecutive year. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-08-27

Social changes for sure, that is easier to blame. None of these symptoms could be explained by diet changes to more highly refined sugars and lack of awareness of the effects of chemical additives in mass proceed foods on the the young brains could it?

That should cause some screams from many I am sure.

• Like 1

Well there has to be something in their diet that is causing so many Thai's to be homosexual and or transgender. I have noting against either but something has to explain why there are so many of both in such a small country. So perhaps this same diet is causing them to be depressed, drink alcohol, do drugs and smoke cigarettes.

I on the other hand feel much better since I stopped eating the hormone and antibiotic laced food in America.

Does anyone stop to think about the impact the lack of discipline has on these kids? I have been in movie theatres here, where the children run around like wild hyenas. I have confronted Thai parents on multiple occasions, and their response is usually, "what can I do? They are children. They do what they want". Well, my question is are they your masters, or are you their parents? Who is in charge? Who owns your ass? Obviously the child, especially if it is a (unjustifiably glorified, and adulated) boy. There are few limits imposed on these punks. They run wild, and little is done. So, no wonder they grow up to be immature punks. Many have said that a 22 year old Thai has the emotional development of a 12 or 13 year old. No wonder. Nobody ever said no to them. Nobody ever set the limits. Nobody ever slapped them around, for making mistakes, and errors in judgment. I am speaking in general terms, as there are certainly some exceptional parents here. I have met some, and seen some exceptional children that they have raised. But, unfortunately, that seems to be the exception to the rule. The youth of today are a problem worldwide. It is a definite concern.

Well there has to be something in their diet that is causing so many Thai's to be homosexual and or transgender. I have noting against either but something has to explain why there are so many of both in such a small country. So perhaps this same diet is causing them to be depressed, drink alcohol, do drugs and smoke cigarettes.

I on the other hand feel much better since I stopped eating the hormone and antibiotic laced food in America.

I'm sure many young Thais are now eating more western food so it will be interesting to see if the gender numbers change although there are likely to be other reasons. Thai food is not that different than surrounding countries and is influenced by them as well particularly Chinese.

I suspect that there are many reasons for this change including the fact that there are now people looking at the emotional well being of young Thais which may not have been the case before.

Sounds like a logic result of a generation which is fed by the media with all kinds of things they have to have but with parents that cannot afford the goods promoted to their children.

Many Thai youths are very displeased with their situation and see no way out for the future.

Their needs are being fed through all kinds of media (TV, Internet, Magazines) with constant reminders of what they should look like and possess.

If they would have possibilities to have a future in which these things would be within reach, things would look a lot brighter for them, but unfortunately their parents do not even have money to afford good schooling.

Sad !

I do however think that the so called EQ in Western countries is decreasing as well.

Are there any numbers known about that ?

EQ fallen from 186 to 169....

Not knowing how to score this I looked it up and see around 100 is average and 150 makes for a really nice well adjusted person. So who are these Thais kidding? I googled and came up with this article which starts off at 186 falling to 169 and goes on to say something very different:

June 27, 2012 4:11 pm

Thai children's emotional quotient (EQ) scores have been falling, dropping from 186.42 in 2002 and 179.58 in 2007 to 169.72, according to the 2011 surveys by the Public Health Ministry's Mental Health Department.

EQ is a measure of the ability to identify, assess, and control the emotions of oneself, of others, and of groups.

"They are less happy. They are seeing more competition," Rajanukul Institute director Panpimol Wipulakorn said. The latest survey covered 5,325 children aged between six and 11 years old in Bangkok, Pathum Thani, Rayong, Samut Sakhon, Uttaradit, Nakhon Sawan, Nakhon Ratchasima, Roi Et, Krabi and Pattani.

According to Panpimol, raw scores from the 2011 survey revealed that Thai children's EQ scores were lower than the normal range.

The normal ranges require the scores to fluctuate between 50 and 100. However, Thai children's average EQ scores stood at just 45.12 according to the 2011 survey.

On adjustment to problems, the average scores stood at 46.65. On emotional control, the average scores were 46.50. On moral sense self satisfaction, the average scores were 45.65. On consideration for and understanding of other people's feelings, the children scored 45.65 on average. On emotional adjustment, they earned 45.23.

Panpimol said if categorised by region, children in the South had the highest EQ scores (45.95). In the North, children's average EQ scores stood at 45.84. In Bangkok, children's average EQ scores were 45.62. In the Central region, the average scores were 44.38. In the Northeast, children scored just 44.04 on emotional quotient.

Asked why the northeastern children scored the lowest in the EQ area, Panpimol said research had not yet been conducted to examine relevant factors.

"But I believe it has something to do with the fact that many of the children in the Northeast are growing up far away from their parents who have become migrant workers in big cities. They may live with their grandparents but some elderly people have economic and health problems, which can affect their upbringing," she said.

Rajanagarindra Child and Adolescent Mental Health Institute director Dr Taweesilp Visanuyothin said it was bad news that Thai children's EQ scores have been falling.

"But EQ can improve. If children get proper care from families, schools, and the society, their EQ can be better," he said

to much soap drama from thai tv...this are carried big influence.. to much hiso segment in tv such as dining, tourism fashion which i think only can be effort by a person withh 50,000 income a month question: how much percent of thais are living with this 50,000 bath or more income whereby slump still a slump