In Need Of Medical Equipment At A Good Price

BarnicaleBob

About three weeks ago a good friend of mine was the victim of a hit and run and he is severely injured. He was riding his motorcycle when he was hit by a pick-up truck that did not stop. After impacting the truck he flew into a pond and lay there unconscious with a broken neck and back. Fortunately a nearby Thai farmer witness this and jumped into the pond, pulled him out.

Meanwhile, my friend who is recently retired from the U.S. military with three tours in Iraq under his belt and is still in his forties is paralyzed from the chest down. He had neck and back surgery and the doctors said it may be several months before they know if he will regain the feeling in his legs.

My friend is to be released from the hospital sometime within the next two weeks and he is in need of some medical equipment and a car with an automatic transmission (no more motorcycles for him). We would like to find a used wheelchair, a used trapeze (for getting out of bed and into the wheelchair) and a ramp for the front door of his rental home. It would be grand if someone had any of these items that they would sell at a low price. Also, for a car he would like a used one with automatic transmission for 100,000 baht or less. The car must not be too high off the ground for him to make the transition from wheelchair to car so most pick-up trucks would not be usable for him. With a hospital bill running over a million baht we need to find a good deal on all these items.

My friend does not want his name posted here, so if you will please reframe from speculating on who he is on this forum it will be appreciated.

Please PM me if you have any of the above that you are willing to sell at a good price.

There are shops that sale many second hand car on Super highway, or Sanamkila rd. and Rattanakosin rd. intersection.

http://maps.google.co.th/maps?q=chiang+mai+map&hl=th&ie=UTF8&ll=18.799911,98.994982&spn=0.005454,0.006899&hnear=%E0%B8%88.%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%83%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%88&gl=th&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=18.799911,98.994982&panoid=T9G0QQ6KZpqWZT7c7iDAlA&cbp=12,90.16,,0,0

But I think it will be not easy to find a car there less than 100,000 baht for automatic tranmission, you can go to check, or look link below what I found for BMW less than 100,000, only not sure if it is up to date info.

http://www.cm2cars.com/secondcars/showcars.php?carid=100000007922

For wheel chair I found one for 2,800 baht (normal one), it is new and free cost for sending, if your friend think that it is too much for him, I will search more.

About trapeze and a ramp for the front door, I will look for info.

I found a few infomations about ramp, have to look more if it available in Chiang Mai or not.

http://trafficthai.com/kerbramp.html

http://www.friendswheel.com/product_detail.php?p_id=118&img=118

http://atclickclub.com/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=22964&page=1

The last link is for free (someone didn't use it) but you need some plank cover (not slip off).

Thank you cmbe for the suggestions, we will check them out. I would really like it best if we could find individuals to deal with rather than businesses, cut out the middle man. Maybe someone who has needed the equipment in the past but now no longer needs it.

The O.P. should contact the Chiang Mai VFW -- perhaps has happened already.

If he's retired career U.S. military, then he's part of Tricare, a good medical program that works all over the globe. The locally approved provider is CM Ram hospital -- no need to pay up-front and then make a claim like Tricare people have to do at other CM hospitals.

CM Ram has a home health care dept with aids and nurses available to take care of people like the OP's friend. I don't know of any other hospital in CM that has a similar home health care service for its customers.

Perhaps the OP's friend was treated someplace besides CM Ram. If so, he should develop a relationship with a doctor at CM Ram and become familar with their services. It seems like he's going to be fighting this battle for a long time.

As Sheryl said about ramps and other home improvements -- just ask around -- there has got to be a Thai handyman in the neighborhood who can make the modifications needed. With their multi-generational family living arrangements many younger Thai people understand the needs of the elderly and hanidcapped. Be sure to get more than one recommendation for someone.

The car is a bigger problem. Perhaps he could move into town where he won't need a car and will be closer to the rehab facilities at CM Ram. Many of the drivers of the yellow/blue taxis are very good with handicapped people. PM if you'd like some recommendations.

• Like 1

If he's retired career U.S. military, then he's part of Tricare, a good medical program that works all over the globe. The locally approved provider is CM Ram hospital -- no need to pay up-front and then make a claim like Tricare people have to do at other CM hospitals.

CM Ram has a home health care dept with aids and nurses available to take care of people like the OP's friend. I don't know of any other hospital in CM that has a similar home health care service for its customers.

Perhaps the OP's friend was treated someplace besides CM Ram. If so, he should develop a relationship with a doctor at CM Ram and become familar with their services. It seems like he's going to be fighting this battle for a long time.

As Sheryl said about ramps and other home improvements -- just ask around -- there has got to be a Thai handyman in the neighborhood who can make the modifications needed. With their multi-generational family living arrangements many younger Thai people understand the needs of the elderly and hanidcapped. Be sure to get more than one recommendation for someone.

The car is a bigger problem. Perhaps he could move into town where he won't need a car and will be closer to the rehab facilities at CM Ram. Many of the drivers of the yellow/blue taxis are very good with handicapped people. PM if you'd like some recommendations.

Yes, we of the the VFW are in contact with victim almost every day and Tri-care is taking care most of the hospital bill. A wheel chair has been provided for free through the VFW and now he only needs to find a trapeze to get in and out of bed with, a ramp and transportation. We are accepting the fact that the ramp may have to be built and he has decided that he will downgrade his transportation to a motorcycle fitted with a sidecar for a wheelchair. Since Tri-care only pays 75% of the hospital bill the victim will be strapped for cash to get these three items that are not covered under his insurance.

I drove around the city most of the day looking for shops that can make the items we need but I don't have all the prices yet. The intention of this post was to find people who may have these items already sitting in their homes unused who would be willing to donate or sell them at a low price.

Yes, we of the the VFW are in contact with victim almost every day and Tri-care is taking care most of the hospital bill. A wheel chair has been provided for free through the VFW and now he only needs to find a trapeze to get in and out of bed with, a ramp and transportation. We are accepting the fact that the ramp may have to be built and he has decided that he will downgrade his transportation to a motorcycle fitted with a sidecar for a wheelchair. Since Tri-care only pays 75% of the hospital bill the victim will be strapped for cash to get these three items that are not covered under his insurance.

I drove around the city most of the day looking for shops that can make the items we need but I don't have all the prices yet. The intention of this post was to find people who may have these items already sitting in their homes unused who would be willing to donate or sell them at a low price.

If it is any help the place in the lane next to the wat in Soi LoyKrau charged me 6000 baht for a very well built wheelchair sidecar of course you will need a bike too. It may be better to wait a little to find what his capabilities are and whether he needs controls on the bike or moved to drive from the wheelchair etc.,

Edited by harrry

• 3 months later...

I'm facing spinal surgery in the immediate future, which will require me to be flat on my back, or stomach, for 3+ months. I'm looking for a used hospital type bed that we can put in a room on the first floor of our house, which will make things easier for all concerned.

I've found some new ones at PharmaChoice which are lower to the floor than your typical hospital bed, but their pricing is a bit on the steep side. I'll go that way if I have to, but if anyone knows were I can find used one in Chiang Mai, I'd definitely appreciate it.

Thanks.

• 6 years later...
3 hours ago, winter Smith said:

... picked up a used medical bed and wheelchair at the Mazree.com auctions. And I got a trapeze from eBay. It worked for me after my accident.

These items were purchased while in Thailand ? Shipped from where ?

~o:37;

• Like 1