The Best Muslim Restaurants In Bkk

ThailandMysteries

I don't agree. Saying Muslim food in Thailand tells you something about the food offered. You know no pork and likely mutton/beef/lamb offered. If someone just says Muslim in Thailand I would assume they mean THAI Muslim cuisine which is a distinctive thing. Of course there are other possibilities, such as Pan-Arabic, Lebanese, Iranian, etc.

Goat is hard to find in Thailand. Lovely stuff!

Edited by Jingthing

I don't agree. Saying Muslim food in Thailand tells you something about the food offered. You know no pork and likely mutton/beef/lamb offered. If someone just says Muslim in Thailand I would assume they mean THAI Muslim cuisine which is a distinctive thing. Of course there are other possibilities, such as Pan-Arabic, Lebanese, Iranian, etc.

Goat is hard to find in Thailand. Lovely stuff!

Let's not forget chicken.

And why not ask for halal food? Or lebanese Or Iranian?

To be fair though, I guess it is no different than asking for farang food. It does cover a broad spectrum.

I dont want to have to say it...but I might agree with you JT.

• 3 weeks later...

Rotee Fatima in the Seri Market Food Court at Paradise Park Shopping Mall, Srinakarin Road offer range of Thai-Muslim food eg. Roti, Mataba, Curries, Rice Biryani, very delicious, clean and affordable price. May not be the best in town, but very good, especially muslim girls there are very nice and speak good english.

dlf05220753p1.jpg

Edited by paggamb
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Funny headline and op... Could imagine the responses if I asked for the best Christian restaurant..

Anyways, have you been to Sukhumvit soi 3?

Christians have few culinary restrictions, so Christian food could be just about anything. Muslim food encompasses several cultures, but has 'no pork' as a defining characteristic and, in Thailand, is fairly recognizable, although I agree one could be more specific, and ask for, say, Lebanese food - my favorite.

Try asking for Jewish food. Most Jews will know immediately what is meant by it. And it's NOT pastrami on white bread, with lettuce and tomato. Anyone remember Annie Hall?

Funny headline and op... Could imagine the responses if I asked for the best Christian restaurant..

Anyways, have you been to Sukhumvit soi 3?

Christians have few culinary restrictions, so Christian food could be just about anything. Muslim food encompasses several cultures, but has 'no pork' as a defining characteristic and, in Thailand, is fairly recognizable, although I agree one could be more specific, and ask for, say, Lebanese food - my favorite.

Try asking for Jewish food. Most Jews will know immediately what is meant by it. And it's NOT pastrami on white bread, with lettuce and tomato. Anyone remember Annie Hall?

Fair point! Ok, well ill ask again, have you been to Sukhumvit soi 3/1?

Rotee Fatima in the Seri Market Food Court at Paradise Park Shopping Mall, Srinakarin Road offer range of Thai-Muslim food eg. Roti, Mataba, Curries, Rice Biryani, very delicious, clean and affordable price. May not be the best in town, but very good, especially muslim girls there are very nice and speak good english.

dlf05220753p1.jpg

Thanks. In searching I found this blog which shows a few other Halal stalls at the Paradise Park Food Court, also with links to other locales.

http://zlynn17.blogspot.com/2010/10/halal-food-at-paradise-park-bangkok.html

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

the other day I was inna cab coming off the freeway headed to soi nana and the driver took the next left after nana offa suk to double around and get to where we were headed...tiny street, just big enough for a small car to get through...

lots of arab food places there that I will explore later as I am a hommous addict and I like my baba ganoush and on another thread someone said that they make their own arabic bread around there...

worth looking into...

whistling.gif Not sure if this place is still there but several years this ago was my favorite "Moslem" restaurant in Bangkok.

Scherazade (not sure of the spelling) restaurant on Soi 3/1 just off Sukhumvit Road.

Owner used to be Iranian and therefore strict Moslem, NO ALCHOHOL served or allowed in restaurant.

Had Lebanese, Arabic and Indian Moslem food on menu.

Had a large grill outside as you entered where they grilled the Chicken and Lamb Kabobs.

Probably you could have ordered Goat Kabobs too, but I never did,

VERY good food and cheap prices too.

Might be closed now....haven't been there fore a good ten years,

But, if still open, well worth searching for.

Used to order Chicken and Lamb kabobs with rice cooked with Rasins and Dates in it, Humoos,, the oven hot fresh Arabic flat bread, and those great grilled sweet green Peppers and just pig out.

If it IS still there it's definitely worth searching for.

Last review I saw about it on-line was in 2010 and it got rave reviews from the food critic.

May be closed now however?

giggle.gif

P.S. In Italian YOUNG Goat (less than a year old) is called Capretto and when well cooked is a wonderful tender meat that will melt in your mouth,

Edited by IMA_FARANG

It's delicious as served at the serious vendors of it.

I agree but I wouldn't confuse the flavor with actual Indian food.

Nor would I. Just as I wouldn't confuse khao man kai with the way they serve it in Hainan, or orsuan with the way they serve it in Taiwan.

Same dish, though, and I wouldn't call it "dumbed down", but a Thai adaptation. "Chicken biryani" is what it's properly called.

khao man gai is a horrible concoction only saved by the range of condiments that it is served with...jezzuz, a rubbery chicken breast served with cold vinegerd rice...

and to declare that it is in anyway associated with a biriyani is to blaspheme against all that is holy...and I don't even like chicken biriyani...

now...chop up that chicken breast and stir fry with chiles, onion and garlic and a stout green veg like bok choy and then throw in the disgusting cold rice and yer cookin'...but keep the broth on the side as it's the best part...maybe add a scrambled egg to the mixture at the end...

serve with fresh corn tortillas and lots of salsa with a cilantro garnish...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

khao man gai is a horrible concoction only saved by the range of condiments that it is served with...jezzuz, a rubbery chicken breast served with cold vinegerd rice...

and to declare that it is in anyway associated with a biriyani is to blaspheme against all that is holy...and I don't even like chicken biriyani...

now...chop up that chicken breast and stir fry with chiles, onion and garlic and a stout green veg like bok choy and then throw in the disgusting cold rice and yer cookin'...but keep the broth on the side as it's the best part...maybe add a scrambled egg to the mixture at the end...

serve with fresh corn tortillas and lots of salsa with a cilantro garnish...

We're talking about khao mok kai (chicken biryani), not khao man kai (Hainanese chicken and rice).

The former is a Thai Muslim specialty -- ie, the thread topic. No need to discuss khao man kai (a Thai-Chinese dish) any further here.