Aftermarket 2Din Dvd With Gps.

DILLIGAD

Hi

I want to upgrade the factory fitted 6cd player in my car and wonder if anyone can recommend through personal experience which unit/make to go for?

I like to play my music through an Ipod attached to the unit, like the idea of a larger screen (7 or 6.5ins) and with preinstalled GPS. I hear Speednavi maps are good for thailand???

Any advice or recomendations of units/shops will be appreciated

Garmin have good Thai maps. The key thing here is updates to the maps. They are often costly.

I was looking for the same thing as you. I'll let you know what I found, and what I ended up installing.

Kenwood do a range with garmin maps installed. 2 din with all the bells and whistles.

However, I went for a pioneer head unit in the end. It does not have gps. For the gps, I bought a 9900 baht garmin, which at the moment offer lifetime free map updates. Furthermore the 2575 model, has the option of adding an optional dashcam, which would come in useful for insurance claims.

So, why did I do it this way?

1, dashcam is a nice bonus

2. Eliminate costly map upgrades

3. I feel the pioneer 8450 head unit is unbeatable. Many input options, amazing screen (twice the resolution of previous pioneer units)

4. Portability... I can take the gps into any other vehicle with ease.

5. Dedicated gps screen, leaves the head unit free to please the passengers with music DVDs or movies.

Total cost was about 33k, for both the gps, and the head unit, installed.

I'm sure a kenwood with built in gps would be cheaper, but factoring in the other points was good for me.

I tried to find out if the kenwood garmin models were included in the current lifetime upgrade promise, but found no definitive answer.worth asking though.

Hope this helps.

Phil

• Like 1

I use an Alpine GPS with Speednavi maps. The Speednavi maps have been OK, the updates cost about 900 bah after first 12 monthst. There is a bit of confusion between Speednavi and Alpine websites at the moment but I presume that will be resolved it time.

Edited by Jitar

Interesting to hear the ipad was OK.

I tried a Samsung tab with the supplied GPS program called Route66 in the car once. It was crap, often could not get a GPS signal plus software was inconvenient and unreliable.

Edited by Jitar

Sygic is the best IMO in Thailand.

I got a Garmin and Sygic on my Samsung Gs2.

The Sygic you pay for once and get free updates and anytime you have wifi you can just update it on the spot, plus is has improved so much now that I think its much better than my Garmin.

BUT, the problem is you need an Iphone/Android to have it. If not, go for the Garmin

NEVER GET AN IFOX

I got an Ifox, a Thai brand which wasnt cheap, it was the worst thing I have ever used. It had no idea where the f#$k it was half the time.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I already have a 'stand alone' GPS with speednavi but as I will be replacing the 2din unit in my new car anyway, I was thinking of selling the above GPS and getting a combined 'in dash' unit like a Kenwood/Alpine for instance.

Which one, is the problem???

Edited by DILLIGAD