Sven Goran Eriksson Joins Bec Tero Sasana

madmitch

Sure he'll be checking out the Local culture - a true Sexpat in the making

I would expect better from you toady, however lightly you make the comment you're just reinforcing a rather unpleasant and from my own experiences, not necessarily accurate stereo type.

Eriksson's arrival hailed as new dawn for Thai football

Lerpong Amsangiam

The Nation

30189656-01_big.gif

Former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson has joined BEC Tero Sasana as technical coach until the end of the Thailand Premier League season for an estimated salary of Bt50 million.

The 64-year-old Swede, who departed England in October last year after failing to lift Thai-owned Leicester City into the Premier League, begins his first campaign in Asia tomorrow in the Toyota League Cup against defending TPL champions Buriram.

Eriksson's official position as the technical director seems to end doubts about the future of Belgium's Robert Procureur, who remains coach and manager of BEC Tero, currently fourth in the TPL standings.

Eriksson said he was asked by BEC Tero president Brian Marcar to help the team, whose performances the former England manager has studied via DVDs.

"This is my first time working in Asia. I'm looking forward to Wednesday's match. I want to see how the players handle in the game, especially their mentality. My job is to make them get better this season. The match on Wednesday will tell me what the club needs for the future,'' said Eriksson during a press conference at the team's Thephassadin Stadium.

The arrival of the experienced Swede comes a bit too late to fulfil BEC Tero's ambitions to be crowned TPL champions in October. With title favourites SCG Muang Thong FC a long way ahead in the standings and only nine games remaining, the runnersup place is a realistic target for Eriksson amid fierce competition from Buriram and Chonburi FC.

"The game against Buriram will be difficult because the team was very successful last season. It will be a good test for my players," said Eriksson who coached England from 2001 to 2006.

Svensson's eagerness to work as far afield as Thailand raises questions as to whether his illustrious career as a titlewinner in Sweden, Portugal and Italy is now on the downswing. But the Swede showed no such concern.

"I don't know what other people think, but I am looking forward to this job. If I can handle it, it will be a very good. And I think I can handle it, otherwise I wouldn't have accepted it. What other people think is not that important for me anymore," said the Swede, who insisted he would be working on a fulltime basis for the next two months.

" I will be here as the advisor [and] technical director. I will follow training, I will follow matches and give players advice and work together with Robert [Procureur].

"I come with a lot of experience from a lot of different countries. I hope I can help the team."

According to Procureur, Eriksson will take charge of training sessions throughout the week. But during games, the Swede will be in the stands while Procureur works pitchside. Procureur also said that the recruitment of Eriksson would broaden horizons for Thai soccer.

"This year we have made a massive effort to be more professional at every stage. The move with Mr Eriksson is very big for us. He will add a lot of experience to our team. This is not only good for BEC, but also because Eriksson will make the TPL well known across the world, not only helping improve us but also helping improve [football in] Thailand. "

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-04

I would expect better from you toady, however lightly you make the comment you're just reinforcing a rather unpleasant and from my own experiences, not necessarily accurate stereo type.

Maybe I should have changed it to Sexpest??

The guys a plum of the highest order, he takes from football and does not give back. His lame attempts at football management are an insult to the game, I rate his daylight robbery the worst in the game, certainly worse than any player....!!!

[insert 4 letter swear word beginning with C]

redrus

1m GBP for a season! that's absolutely insane.

The article says '....until the end of the 'Thai PL season' - which apparently is only 9 games away. That brings it to Bt 5.5 mio per game.

m I making a mistake? That would be ridiculous!

SteveH, where are you getting info on this million pound contract from?, sounds like crap.he's here for 2 months, and i suspect he's still under contract with Leicester and this whole deal has a tie in with king power maybe getting some of their wages bac? not sure.

But from a PR point of view this is good news for thai football.

Edited by rijit

Maybe I should have changed it to Sexpest??

You sound like you know what your talking about so i'll take your word for it.

SteveH, where are you getting info on this million pound contract from?, sounds like crap.he's here for 2 months, and i suspect he's still under contract with Leicester and this whole deal has a tie in with king power maybe getting some of their wages bac? not sure.

I am not sure that Leicester are tied in with BEC Tero, I may be mistaken but I thought that the link between Buriram and Leicester is more likely through the King Power vehicle. Whatever the actual price, Sven will not be coming cheap, and he unfortunately has become a bit of a joke with his dalliances with a variety of clubs and countries. He's as bad as, if not worse than some of the mercenary players

The article says '....until the end of the 'Thai PL season' - which apparently is only 9 games away. That brings it to Bt 5.5 mio per game.

no, that can't be right can it?

erm, the first line of the article? "Former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson has joined BEC Tero Sasana as technical coach until the end of the Thailand Premier League season for an estimated salary of Bt50 million."

50 million baht is about a million quid right?

I am not sure that Leicester are tied in with BEC Tero, I may be mistaken but I thought that the link between Buriram and Leicester is more likely through the King Power vehicle. Whatever the actual price, Sven will not be coming cheap, and he unfortunately has become a bit of a joke with his dalliances with a variety of clubs and countries. He's as bad as, if not worse than some of the mercenary players

Yeah maybe theirs a tie with king power and buriram, but the buriram owner dont strike me as a share the spot light sort of guy, <deleted> he was awarded the fa cup last year not the team HIM. As for Erickson, Thought the Leicester dismissal was somewhat premature, they were hovering around the play offs when they sacked him and not exactly done well since he's left have they. as for him being a 'joke' him winning seri a cuppa italia the Portuguese league and cup, taking England from 17th to 5th and losing just 5 games in 5 years makes you wrong. As for him being a mercenary 14 jobs in 37 years as a coach again suggests your wrong.

no, that can't be right can it?

erm, the first line of the article? "Former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson has joined BEC Tero Sasana as technical coach until the end of the Thailand Premier League season for an estimated salary of Bt50 million."

50 million baht is about a million quid right?

Estimated means they dont actually know, which means its a guess, And the nation is primarily a business paper, they know absolutely fuc all bout what's going on in Thai football, barely give it any coverage and show no interest what so ever. And if you ever go to a press conference and listen to the questions put by the Thai reporters, it totally backs that up.

Edited by rijit

Yeah maybe theirs a tie with king power and buriram, but the buriram owner dont strike me as a share the spot light sort of guy, <deleted> he was awarded the fa cup last year not the team HIM. As for Erickson, Thought the Leicester dismissal was somewhat premature, they were hovering around the play offs when they sacked him and not exactly done well since he's left have they. as for him being a 'joke' him winning seri a cuppa italia the Portuguese league and cup, taking England from 17th to 5th and losing just 5 games in 5 years makes you wrong. As for him being a mercenary 14 jobs in 37 years as a coach again suggests your wrong.

His star has been on the wane for sometime. Let's have a look at some of his recent dalliances - 6 jobs in 6 years none with much success . He's linked with nearly every job going these days, but seems a lot of clubs are reluctant. I don't think there is anything wrong with his record in the past (his record pre England was good, England was solid but unspectacular), but he's gone into that has been status and seems to have become more famous for his performance with the ladies than football related headlines. Maybe I'm a cynic, but I don't think this brings any long term value to the Thai Premier League, although would like to think that I am wrong.

His star has been on the wane for sometime. Let's have a look at some of his recent dalliances - 6 jobs in 6 years none with much success . He's linked with nearly every job going these days, but seems a lot of clubs are reluctant. I don't think there is anything wrong with his record in the past (his record pre England was good, England was solid but unspectacular), but he's gone into that has been status and seems to have become more famous for his performance with the ladies than football related headlines. Maybe I'm a cynic, but I don't think this brings any long term value to the Thai Premier League, although would like to think that I am wrong.

Yeah shit happens in football and rightly or wrongly managers get sacked, at man city thaksin had the rug pulled from him imo Leicester sacked him 2 early a ivory coast was a short term deal, a notts county he left cos he was 100% lied 2 , granted the mexico spell wernt exactly great , but hey ho ? and if 6 is correct that reduce's it 2 9 jobs in 30ish years? mercenary, maybe, Dealing with FACTS again rather then gutter press interpretation, he's been a very successful international and club football coach at the HIGHEST LEVEL and to reduce him to a sex pest Well need i say more. as for him here now ,Its given thai football positive international media coverage which it v much doesn't get. ,how they use that is up to them. but in the short term it can do it no harm, V Difficult to gauge 'long term' but its a 2 month deal <deleted> what do you expect and lets be honest football in general ain't good at long term is it.

Let's be fair here, his record over 39 years as you put it, is not anything spectacular. How many trophies has he won in the major leagues - Italy, Spain, Germany and England? I don't think you can really count Portugal as a major league. What exactly did he win operating in International football? England were lousy in Japan, and not much better in Germany. There were a couple of good performances along the way, but when it came to the crunch i.e tournament football he failed to deliver World Cup 2002, Euro 2004 and World Cup 2006. Let's not say we were unlucky on penalties. His stay at Mexico was pretty non - eventful and he led a talented but generally disorganized Ivory Coast fairly well at the last world cup. Notts County - total fiasco, and in fairness he stuck around for a while, but was he there for the promised riches that Munto said they could offer? Leicester, had the backing but didn't deliver the results that were expected, and bought in a lot of highly paid players with little end result.His other dalliance with The Sheik - lol, not exactly the best thing to do when still England manager. He had a brief love in with Thaksin, but that all fell apart, culminating in an abject end to that season, although again he probably was lied to by the owner in that case. I think others also forget his total u-turn some years ago when he was going to Blackburn, and dropped out at the last moment. I really don't think Sven is a dreadful manager, but over-rated he certainly is, and over here - yes, purely for the money. Thai Premier League would be better at putting that sort of money into better training facilities for youngsters and academies (ask some of the last couple of managers of Thailand about the shoddy facilities for training), than bringing in an overpaid person like Sven on a two month contract. As for other facts, Sven is pretty well documented as a bit of a Lothario (You were the one that got upset about the initial Sexpat joke, and clearly more upset by Sexpest). Anyway, I am sure he will enjoy his time in Thailand, and will certainly be rewarded well for it. Good luck to him and BEC Tero, in the weird and wonderful world of football there's always some fool who will pay for someone that was good a few years back, just in case..

I dont know what you call spectacular, but seria a title and a Italia cup is pretty much up there amongst best, as for England, every tournemont he/we entered he took us to the quarter finals and4 me He made it seem standard to progress that far wheras b4 it was the exception rather than the rule. We lost five games in his 5 years,, stats wise, is the 2nd most succesfull England manager after Ramsay. hardly the record of a flop. And as for the sexpat thing , imo , it was just a rather stupid, ignorant thing to say, but if you feel comfortable with it , thats fine. OH And there will be a tie between his contract ending at leicester and his 2 month stay bec terro, its 2 much of a coincidence, king power gettin some wedge bac, or a favour owed, not sure but somewhere the's a deal been made. But agreed with the fa in thailand need some help, the national team defo are suffering arguably at the hands of the thai prem lgs 'success'.

Edited by rijit

Sven Goran Eriksson

by Jonathan Fairfield

It is normally the case that news from the Thai Premier League is reserved only for the back pages of Thai newspapers, hidden somewhere between a story on a Muay Thai championship fight and the latest goings on from English Premier League. However, this week saw all that change.

The appointment of Sven Goran Eriksson as technical director at BEC Tero not only made headlines in Thailand but also around the world as news of the arrival of the former England manager to the Land of smiles was featured in just about every sports news outlet going. There can’t have been many previous occasions when news from the Thai Premier League has gained such a global audience.

In England especially, news of Sven’s inaugural foray into Asian football was, it’s fair to say, met with a mixed reaction. Popular football websites and podcasts such as Guardian Sport and the Football Ramble all covered the appointment, with the latter suggesting that Sven was probably eager to work in Thailand more out of his love for beautiful women, rather than the beautiful game. They may have a point!

Story continues: http://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/chonburifc/113109/News/view/701291

Lerpong Amsangiam

The Nation

30189656-01_big.gifSvensson's eagerness to work as far afield as Thailand raises questions as to whether his illustrious career as a titlewinner in Sweden, Portugal and Italy is now on the downswing.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-04

The Nation's rechristened him. :(

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/sep/08/said-and-done-football-family

Move of the week

Sven-Goran Eriksson – joining Thai club BEC Tero Sasana for the challenge: "I look forward to this job. The standard of Thai football is getting better." (2008: Sven, quoted in Dietmar Hamann's autobiography, giving his verdict on a post-season tour of Thailand. "I like this place. I think I will come back here and live with two women. Yes. I think I need two beautiful women.")

Lerpong Amsangiam

The Nation

30189656-01_big.gifSvensson's eagerness to work as far afield as Thailand raises questions as to whether his illustrious career as a titlewinner in Sweden, Portugal and Italy is now on the downswing.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-04

The Nation's rechristened him. :(

He makes good ice cream

Lerpong Amsangiam

The Nation

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-04

The Nation's rechristened him. sad.png

He makes good ice cream

Or hair transplants.