Air Asia @ Don Mueang... Imho

RandomSand

I stay in Pattaya and had gotten used to using Suvarnabhumi.

There were decent road options (public bus / taxi / car hire with easily navigated route) thus avoiding city congestion.

The BTS extension indirectly opened up a quick alternative too (Pattaya - Victory Mini Van and then the BTS express train), and of course, directly made Suvarnabhumi more accessible to those in the city itself.

So I have read some threads about the best way to travel Pattaya - DMK, and I'm thinking that the Jomtien to Suvarnabhumi public bus, combined with the BTS train into the city & finally using mini-van or taxi might be both quick and cheap...

What is very clear to me is that Don Mueang needs a BTS terminal, and until this is built, Air Asia @ Don Mueang vastly reduces the appeal of Thailand for myself.

Edited by RandomSand

I'll certainly be looking at Airlines - other than AirAsia - for routes within S.E Asia via Suvarnabhumi Airport.

...But if Don Mueang cannot be avoided, how about this for the Pattaya - Don Mueang route ?

Jomtien to Suvarnabhumi via dedicated public bus, BTS express to Phaya Thai, finally regular taxi to Don Mueang without changing at Mo Chit.

Edited by RandomSand

Did you fly FD (Air Asia) a lot? How often? Which routes?

You'll have to do the math re: carriers, routes, schedules, price, transpo. to from Pattaya. Depending on the routing, BKK may ultimately be better for you.

As I understand it, FD moved to DMK to reduce costs and streamline operations.

The BTS extension indirectly opened up a quick alternative too (Pattaya - Victory Mini Van and then the BTS express train), and of course, directly made Suvarnabhumi more accessible to those in the city itself.

If you want discuss various transport options between Pattaya and DMK then it does pay to be accurate.

The ARL (Airport Rail Link) is not a BTS line, it is an SRT line operated by a subsidiary called SRTET (SRT Electric Train Company - nothing too hard with that one). That is why you cannot use the same ticket on the ARL with the BTS line.

http://airportraillink.railway.co.th/en/index.html#

A little web research prior to your post (indeed check checking another thread in this sub forum) regarding metro lines ot DMK would provide your answer.

The ARL line was always going to be extended to DMK. That this govt. has adopted a two airport policy 6 months ago means the ARL will be extended to DMK more quickly, still expect another 4-5 yrs before completion given as it has yet to be tendered.

The SRT Red Line to Rangsit will also have a station at Don Muang. At the rear of the airport - not much use for most DMK pax (though some airforce pax might use it) - there will be the much delayed BTS extension from Mo Chit to Saphan Mai. So in the end you will have 3 metro lines running past DMK.

Check the map in post #87 on this thread for details, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/406991-the-new-skytrain/page__st__75#entry5613799 (other maps at the start of the thread also)

For the Pattay folk the future offers you a HSR (high speed line) which will run from Makkasan to Rayong via Pattaya with a transfer in BKK to the ARL. So you'll be able to get to both airports in quick time.

For now, I'd expect a direct bus service (& mini vans) will start either as an extension of the current 5(?) a day Pattaya to BKK airport, or a seperate driect one. The demand will be there. Remember for decades people travelled between DMK and Pattaya with little fuss except for the taxi gouging if one was silly enough to be taken for a ride.....(pun intended).

So I have read some threads about the best way to travel Pattaya - DMK, and I'm thinking that the Jomtien to Suvarnabhumi public bus, combined with the BTS train into the city & finally using mini-van or taxi might be both quick and cheap...

A better option (excluding a future direct bus) might be to take the bus to Mo chit terminal and then either mini van it or BMTA public bus it to DMK as both depart Mo Chit up Rangsit road. I suspect those wishing to save money will do this option. This avoids BKK airport and Ekkamai, gets you to the north of the city all the way on the expressway followed by a relatively short trip. (Though afternoon peak will be slow heading north to DMK).

The fact is that there are a wealth of transport options and some will be the best depending on pax needs, baggage size, time of day and weather etc. Flexibility is always the key.

• Like 1

I got a terrify van ride to Swampy a few months ago, never again. Anyway, it dropped me off in a little public van / bus stop close to the airport which then had a free bus every 20 mins to the terminal. I did notice vans that I think left regularly between the BKK bus terminal at the airport and DMK.

Personally, I still would not use them, vans are dangerous bloody things in Thailand. The AOT did say, that they are going to run buses between he two for pax needing connections. Lets see. For me, it is the end of Air Asia, simple.

Yeah, why muck around,transport in thailand is cheap, especially compared to westernised countries, jump in a taxi meter go direct, competition will soon set in & minibuses direct pattaya - don muang will soon be the norm.I think if anything Air Asia will flourish, in competition with nok-air, I'm talking int. flights neighbouring countries such as luang-prabang laos extending airport in progress,hanoi, da-nang vietnam,phnom penh camb. Even into southern china, these are all 1-2 hour flights, with their operating base cheaper than swampy, I PREDICT DON MUANG WILL BE THE TRAVELLER"S AIRPORT, the tourists will have swampy.

regards songhklasidwai.gifwai.gifwai.gif

• Like 1

I got a terrify van ride to Swampy a few months ago, never again. Anyway, it dropped me off in a little public van / bus stop close to the airport which then had a free bus every 20 mins to the terminal. I did notice vans that I think left regularly between the BKK bus terminal at the airport and DMK.

Personally, I still would not use them, vans are dangerous bloody things in Thailand. The AOT did say, that they are going to run buses between he two for pax needing connections. Lets see. For me, it is the end of Air Asia, simple.

Vans are not dangerous. The problem is their incompetent, ignorant drivers.

• 4 months later...

How to get DMK Don Mueang airport from Pattaya.

1 Take a minivan from Central Festival to Victory Monuent. 110 bahts (2 hours – 2 hours and a half)

2 Take a taxi meter from Victory Monument to the airport. 150 bahts (40 minutes)

How to get Pattaya or Bangkok from DMK Don Mueang.

1 Take the shuttle bus just on the gate of the airport (very easy the find it). 17 bahts (30 minutes to reach Mochit BTS – Sky Train and MRT underground)

2 If you stay in Bankok, it is pretty easy to move around with BTS and MRT.

2 If you go to Pattaya just get the BTS and get off in Victory Monument station 25 bahts (15 minutes)

3 Down the station you will see many minivan getting into and out of a square. In the entrance there is a desk where you can buy the ticket to Pattaya. 100 bahts (2 hours – 2 hours and a half). Run every 15 minutes.

I have a convenient third option - I just go straight to Sukhumvit, spend the evening in the company of old friends (or make a few new ones !) and make my way to Patts the following morning. Doesnt suit everyone, but after staggering off a longhaul flight I'm not inclined to mess around trying to get transport straight to Patts. Who flies all the way to LA to catch a bus straight out to Disneyland ? ;)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just get a taxi, direct, Don muang or Swampy to Pattaya. I pay between 1100 and 1600 baht.

Why fuss with tour buses, Mini Vans, BTS transfers etc,etc,etc...... Mor Chit, Ekamai. What a drag!

Because the line for the taxi stand is 100 meters long??? Granted, you can just walk out onto the main street, right before the railing starts and blocks off street access, and try to catch a taxi. But if you are carrying a lot of luggage, that's impossible. Used to love Air Asia, but I HATE using DM. And, yes, I usually do take the walk to the main road to grab a taxi.

Just get a taxi, direct, Don muang or Swampy to Pattaya. I pay between 1100 and 1600 baht.

Why fuss with tour buses, Mini Vans, BTS transfers etc,etc,etc...... Mor Chit, Ekamai. What a drag!

Because the line for the taxi stand is 100 meters long??? Granted, you can just walk out onto the main street, right before the railing starts and blocks off street access, and try to catch a taxi. But if you are carrying a lot of luggage, that's impossible. Used to love Air Asia, but I HATE using DM. And, yes, I usually do take the walk to the main road to grab a taxi.

Never an issue. Taxis love the extra 50 + the 200ish baht fare to Sukhimvit-Silom-ETC. Dont' worry about it too much.