Bringing A Bicycle Into Thailand

muchogra

I paid USD400 for a bicycle 30 years ago in the US. It was light and could easily be disassembled and assembled. I used it for 10 years there and gave it to the kid when I left the US.

I am now thinking of buying a good bicycle in the US that could be disassembled and packed in a box and bring it into Thailand. Obviously, custom might be a problem.

Does any one have an experience on this? Do you have a horror story to tell or a merry one?

you can simply take the front wheel off, pedals and some other things and ship it as checked luggage in a bike box for international flights. good bikes are under the 50 lb weight limit. may have to pay some extra fees, but reasonable. will probably do this with my trek 6700 on the next flight.

its not a new item so customs has nothing to say.

• Like 1

you can simply take the front wheel off, pedals and some other things and ship it as checked luggage in a bike box for international flights. good bikes are under the 50 lb weight limit. may have to pay some extra fees, but reasonable. will probably do this with my trek 6700 on the next flight.

its not a new item so customs has nothing to say.

One of the first few things I need to do when I arrive at the US is to get a bicycle and get it muddied before bringing it back to Thailand then.

Edited by muchogra

Are the bikes in Thailand expensive or just different quality?

Mine was 10K after either a 500 or 1000B discount. I can't remember now. I've seen it for about £400 on UK websites.

The frame I think is the same, but I think they get cheaper components. Obviously it depends on what you buy.

The handlebars rusted up all over. It maybe the sea air and me being too lazy to wash it, but the amount of it does look like a low/ lower grade steel was used.

A few hundred baht bought an aluminium replacement.

Again depending what you buy and where, but the bike shops I've been to say most the bikes are made in Taiwan (?)

• Like 1

You can pack up and bring your bike from the US no issue. I have brought 2 trek bikes over now. Depending on your airline carrier there may be an oversized fee.

As for Bike purchase in Thailand, There is a Trek store in Bangkok right near Lumpini park. They are however extremely expensive. I highly recommend you bring over a few tube sets, an extra chain and a few tires if you live here or are here for a long stay. Its far easier and those things can be can be carried easily. If asked at customs tell them you are entered in a bike race in Bangkok.

Just some suggestions

Unless you want a very specific bike I'd recommend you don't buy in the US, buy here in Thailand.

If you are a keen cyclist (sports cyclist) use the saved luggage weight to bring over things you can't get here - Good quality cycling clothing, kevlar tyres and perhaps a cycle computer/GPS (the latter available here but at ridiculous prices).

If you are brining a special bike over drop the front wheel out and strap it to the frame (Place a piece of wood between the front forks to protect them from being bent if anything heavy is placed on the bike in the hold) let the air out of the tyres, remove the pedals and put everything in either an airfreight box of a cycle travel bag.

I recently brought one of my old Team Raleigh road racing machines to Thailand, shipped in a cycle transport bag - no customs charges but they custom officers did 'oooh and aaarh' when they took it out of the bag for inspection.

Actually I 'ooohed and aaarhed' a bit myself.

Is there something wrong with the Java script here?

What I see in Post 6,7,8 are like messages from an alien planet. I should buy there instead?

autan, I'm not a bicycling enthusiast. As far as I know Thailand doesn't make decent bicycles. Decent ones are imported; hence, by extension, the import tax could be quite hefty like cars. I figure the same bicycle might cost less in the US. Am I wrong? I frankly am not sure.

What I see in Post 6,7,8 are like messages from an alien planet. I should buy there instead?

autan, I'm not a bicycling enthusiast. As far as I know Thailand doesn't make decent bicycles. Decent ones are imported; hence, by extension, the import tax could be quite hefty like cars. I figure the same bicycle might cost less in the US. Am I wrong? I frankly am not sure.

no, i checked high end treks at a chiang mai shop. they were cheaper then the msrp in the us.

i should have bought my bike here, could have gotten a better bike. if i remember correctly they were about 600 usd cheaper. they were new bikes and looked like sticker prices.

i remember that i could have gotten the trek 8000 at the price i paid for the 6700 in the usa. the pricing was on par since were talking about the same year models.

i suspect the trek shop in bkk had the same prices as the cnx shop. people always say its expensive, try buying in the us and you will learn what expensive really is.

Edited by jacktrip

no, i checked high end treks at a chiang mai shop. they were cheaper then the msrp in the us.

i should have bought my bike here, could have gotten a better bike. if i remember correctly they were about 600 usd cheaper. they were new bikes and looked like sticker prices.

i remember that i could have gotten the trek 8000 at the price i paid for the 6700 in the usa. the pricing was on par since were talking about the same year models.

i suspect the trek shop in bkk had the same prices as the cnx shop. people always say its expensive, try buying in the us and you will learn what expensive really is.

I'm now all confused, jacktrip! How was it possible that it was USD600 cheaper?...from logic! A stolen one or remodified? I'm just looking for a touring bicycle that I can ride comfortably. I don't need name brand or over the top accessories that I will never use. A light bicycle with some gears and a bottle holder fits me well.

I brought a tall sized mountain bike into Thailand in Sept 2009. Boxed it up completely (took off front wheel, seat post, things like that). Absolutely not a problem for me -- I did have to do a special pickup at an elevator (not the baggage conveyor belt). I did actually have a little damage to my bicycle (airline fault) and had to borrow a lot of tape as box end was busted open. Anyhow when I went past customs, some late teens kid who looked like he literally was a volunteer (looked really young, no hardcore uniform on) just said "oh, bicycle!" and I smiled and said yes, a brief glance at each other, then I went past. End of that.

I did get overcharged by the SUV taxis, paid 700 baht flatrate (meter off) into Bangkok (Rama IV rd.). I felt it was a bit of an overcharge, could have stuffed it into a normal taxi -- very tight fit (but did it in previous country) -- and paid 250, but the jerk at the taxi stand coerced me a bit.

I should add that, although the customs let ME through no problem, I wouldn't doubt they could play ball with anyone they want to anytime they want to. I had a lucky day, perhaps.

You had.

The official rules for moving household goods for Thais repatriating or foreigner with WP moving, do except bicycles from tax free import.

They are due to customs.

From FIDI "Customs info Thailand 2010":

Other vehicles (bicycles, water vehicles)

Invoice for water vehicle – seek agent advise before sending

Bicycles: subject to duty at 49.80% of CIF value.

Water vehicles: are subject to import tax and duties.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I think that may be on new goods, yes, no? My bicycle was in a dirty old box, and the bike itself was strictly for personal use (and had been used extensively in the last country, complete with grease and grime and a few scratch marks and a torn bicycle seat). In addition, I never had a work permit, although I don't know what that has to do with a bicycle.

When I say I may have "gotten lucky," I meant more to imply that luckily they didn't make me strip the whole box and bike down in their own search of "other" things and substances that so often make their way into Thailand. Being stopped for THAT was what I didn't want to have to go through, as the bike and box was already just about ready to fall apart as it was. I already had to borrow tape to put it back together inside the airport, only to have to break it apart again? That's what I meant "lucky," I'm not sure duties were on the table for a used, cheaper, personal bike.

I think that may be on new goods, yes, no? My bicycle was in a dirty old box, and the bike itself was strictly for personal use (and had been used extensively in the last country, complete with grease and grime and a few scratch marks and a torn bicycle seat). In addition, I never had a work permit, although I don't know what that has to do with a bicycle.

Before posting, get informed somewhat!

Duty applies to used goods as well as new goods.

Duty free import on used (household) goods is only possible on a move to Thailand by Thai citizens returning or foreigners permanently moving to Thailand for the purpose of starting to work here.

All kinds of vehicles are exempted from duty free import.

Wish I could import a used Merc Benz with some sratches duty free! Haha!

Would gain some million Baht quickly.

Edited by KhunBENQ

muchogracias....

You have to be a Yank because who else would come up with a moniker like that?

great thread topic as noted by the wide range of replies...hang in there! You'll get an answer you can live with sooner or later!

It might sort us all out if you mentioned:

1) Where are you now?

2) When will you be entering the Kingdom? Are you in Thailand currently?

One of your posts, you wrote:

<<I'm now all confused, jacktrip! How was it possible that it was USD600 cheaper?...from logic! A stolen one or remodified? I'm just looking for a touring bicycle that I can ride comfortably. I don't need name brand or over the top accessories that I will never use. A light bicycle with some gears and a bottle holder fits me well.>>

Am with you and your plan to import from USA, if that is where you are from and where you are currently.

People who have never lived in USA have no clue of the incredible bargains to be had there....from houses to motorbikes and yes, jackrayon(bicycle).

You got it, a $1200 USD bicycle, last year's model can be had for $400 USD--NEW-- in USA.

Thailand has many great bicycle shops, great mechanics and good aftermarket servicing.

You will pay the going rate for any bicycle, MORE if it is a special order frame.

You can get a decent Giant mtn bike in Muang Tai for 10k baht, or $300 USD.

Is it worth it?

Up 2 u! The Tai National Anthem.

You must factor in a $200 airline fee from USA. No way will it be considered checked-in luggage.

Anyone bringing in a bicycle as carry on is smoking something. Or flight originating form other than USA.

Your bicycle airline transpo fee within USA is $100 per flight(domestic), $200 international, check with your carrier online.

Are you a tall guy with a need for an XL frame?

Yes? Buy in USA.

Do know exactly the type of bicycle you want?

If yes, buy in USA. More selection.

Locate on CL (craigslist) or local bike shop. Bicycles are rarely ridden in USA, compared to other countries.

Test drive bike. Kit out with pannier racks and front panniers (preferably Lone Peak or Ortlieb)

while in USA. Much easier than in Muang Tai. Much cheaper. PM me and I can give you leads.

Thailand has great bikes, but is it worth the task to import?

Only you can answer that.

Now head to a USA bicycle shop, anywhere, anytown.

Tell the lads what you want....you get a free bicycle box in the back.

Or have them do your bicycle tear down for $25 USD.

Easy...Ngai.

Your weight limit is 23 kilos, which is 50lbs to Yanks.

I had an XL frame and wrapped it up with that plastic saran wrap stuff......many wraps.

Then took a razor knife and cut slits in the obvious spaces. I shoved in shoes, extra togs, spare tyres 'n tubes, etc.

Stuffed bike frame along with my wheels and then placed in bicycle box with even MORE kit!

My 50lb weight suddenly blossomed to 87 pounds! Hhahahahahah

Yes, almost 40kgs, the United crew "let slide" for my $200 fee. Sweet.

Be smart: I installed straps to my bicycle frame itself and then cut slits in the box, threaded looped through and then around and

back into box the other side of my rear / front rack. If anyone went to grab the box, they would be greeted with TWO nifty handles fashioned from

webbing material.

Address in Tai and English on opposing sides of box. Make it easy. Add several index cards within to give your location info.

Addy, cell phone, etc.

I arrive Bkk airport, no problem. I just whizzed through Immigration. Do act like there will be a problemmo.

Taxi...no problem. I tossed bicycle box in back seat. No probs. I gave the taxi guy 100b right off.

Got him smiling. My ride to Pattaya was 700b.

As we are leaving airport, I spied a buddy who came in early. I cry out "yoot!"

Taxi dude stops....he just doubled his fee. He was thrilled.

The biggest problem of all?

My own self-doubt and getting from my home in USA to the local airport 100km away.

Everyone said "...what, Thailand has no bicycles?"

Best move I ever made btw....

As an aside, I told my tale to some guy from Chicago. A retired cop.

He had EXACTLY the bicycle he wanted, yet got kiin nee ouw (cheap) with the $200 fee.

He refuses to pay "..the high Tai price."

You snooze, you lose.

We call this Chicago guy "No-Bike Rick."

All he does is piss and moan about his bike left behind in USA.

Your call.

Let us all know what you eventually will do, or did already!

Edited by burgdawg

I carried in a used mountain bike his past May, and was not charged customs duty when I entered at CNX. The officer asked me if it was for my own use and how long I'd be in Thailand, and that was it.

I couldn't have found an equivalent used bike here for a similar price. So in theory anyway I saved a lot of money.

A few years ago I did pay tax on a BMX frame I was carrying for a friend, since it was a bike part, not a whole bike.

I've been carting 26"-wheel, used, folding bikes into/out of Thailand for 17 years, never paid duty. In boxes or bags, as part of the luggage allowance (if fying in). A bike bag is really useful, fold the bag, put it on the rear rack, and get on yer bike. If bored or raining, just fold your bike, bag it, put it under the bus (or inside the train) and it comes along for free.

Various companies make 26" wheel folders - Dahon and Montague are prominent, plus various design rip-offs. I think you are better off sourcing a bike + bag in your own country (ebay is the place to go!), setting it up to suit yourself (no point buying power tools over here, for a one-off minor job), then come on over.

But I must say the one-off $200!!! fee (was $45 in 1994) for flying out of the USA is on par with the everyday rip-off fees of aussie banks. AA

I'm now all confused, jacktrip! How was it possible that it was USD600 cheaper?...from logic! A stolen one or remodified? I'm just looking for a touring bicycle that I can ride comfortably. I don't need name brand or over the top accessories that I will never use. A light bicycle with some gears and a bottle holder fits me well.

It all depends on where the bikes are made - if they are made in Taiwan for example, as most Treks are, they are exempt from all import taxes and obviously it costs less to ship from Taiwan to Thailand than Taiwan to the US.

You may get less choice here, but as long as you are prepared to put up with that (and apparently you are) then you can certainly buy the same bike for less.

I have flown into Thailand with a bicycle over the years many many times (perhaps 20+). I have never been questioned, never had to pay anything and never had problems. The bike shop in the USA should pack it in a box for you - no need to smear it in mud - and away you go. No probs!

..Trek bicycles stopped being made in USA in the early 2000s. I think about 2002 or 2003....

pretty much the entire bicycle manufacturing base is in Taiwan these days....

Again...the bike you are to ride will seek you out.

Thailand has many fine bikes. Just test drive and purchase.

What is the big deal?

Say a Trek 520 from Pro in Bkk.

In USA, it will cost you $1350 out the door and in Bkk, it will be $1600 USD.

Choose your passion.

You rarely spy ANY Trek 520 for sale.

People tend to hang onto them.

Fine bicycle!

Best to support your local bicycle shop no matter where you are located.....

• 4 months later...

I've searched many site regarding this very question. Mostly the answers seem to be that coming over with a bike on the plane is acceptable at customs, as long as it's not obviously brand new.

I'm coming over to Thailand next month on a retirement visa to live for awhile.

Haven't bought a bike yet. I will buy a new Surly Troll (or Karate Monkey) single speed here in the US (or some type of mtb/touring bike with rear rack) for main transportation and exploring Chiang Mai and country. Hopefully I'll get to ride it around for a week or two before I leave, making sure everything works fine.

If Surly Trolls (29er) L or XL can be had in Thailand, I'll buy there, don't really care. Less hassle.

So my questions are:

Will coming over on a retirement visa be more cause to charge me customs fees or less?

Some have mentioned that you were asked how long is your stay. I didn't see any answers.

How does the answer of how long your staying affect you at customs? Long time=no extra customs fees or short time=fees?

Will the fact that the bike is not dirty and old be an issue to cause customs to charge me fees?

If getting charged a fee by customs is standard issue for what I'm doing under my circumstances I'll pay it. I'm not concerned about paying what is normal or fair practice by Thai customs, but I just don't want to get hi-jacked. And it seems to be ambiguous as to what they charge if they charge.

Thanks

Edited by Nowisee

• 5 years later...

ADVISE SOUGHT RE: Shipping my bike here to Thailand without getting reemed by Customs.

I brought my nice (used) Cannondale mountain bike with me on the plane when I flew from USA to Chinag Mai and didn't even consider I might have a problem with Customs trying to charge me.  They didn't even inspect the box so I guess I lucked out.

However, now I want to have my road bike sent over to me.  It is also used but in pristine shape and looks new, and I have never re-used the cardboard shipping box.  I am afraid if I have it shipped over to me, Customs will consider it a new bike and charge me 40% VAT (the going rate for new bikes, I think).  It is a fairly expensive BMC Teammachine carbon bike so I'd expect Customs to really go to town on me if they open the box.  I can't afford over a thousand dollars in customs charges, ya know?

Somebody told me (not sure about this) that I should have the bike disassembled and ship the frame and the rest of the parts separately; frame in one box, all the other parts in another, and then to declare them as "parts", which are charged only at 10%.

I don't know anything about this and wonder if someone that is knowledgable about how customs works can advise me on this.  I also heard from someone else that if declared as "sports equipment", and not a bicycle, customs VAT is only 1%!!!  Again, "he says, she says..."  all of this is very confusing, so if anyone can advise me, I'd be grateful.  I REALLY want my bike here because I am sick of MTB, and want to start riding the roads.

I just think this whole customs thing here in Thailand is very unfair!  I could understand a high customs tariff if it is to protect a native industry but Thailand is NOT known for manufacturing decent racing bikes at all, so this excessive tariff is just a plain ripoff IMHO!

Edited by CangguSurfer

On 9/5/2012 at 11:03 PM, muchogra said:

My Mondraker was assembled in Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 1998 frame with no fork or even model stickers mailed to me and get held up at customs, I wasted 3 hours explaining the frame was 20 years old and still ended up paying 5000b.  I suggest flying in with a bike and say you are a tourist to race some events.

Edited by ttakata
  • Like 1