All Major Projects Ploenchit/langsuan/chidlom/wireless/ruam Rudi Areas

Some time ago there was an interesting discussion on the major projects in the whole Ploenchit/Langsuan/Chidlom/Wireless/Ruam Rudi Area

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=39330&hl=

I have a personal interest in The Park Residence http://www.theparkresidence.co.th/ and can advise all seems to be going very well. Indeed a new construction picture was posted today (click on the construction picture to get a larger version).

However I thought there may be additional information on the other major projects in the whole area namely:

The Athenee Residence

The new hotel between Grand Hyatt and Four Seasons expected to be the Ritz Carlton?

The Erawan mall’s makeover

New projects next to Wave Place and the British Embassy

The interconnected elevated catwalks to almost all major projects

The start point of new air port rail-link to be located in Makkasan? I know nothing of this is it near the Park Residence?

Any other projects of interest.

I hope this thread will be of use to those who live or soon will be living in the area.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey there, i live in the neighbourhood so i'll answer what i can below.

Some time ago there was an interesting discussion on the major projects in the whole Ploenchit/Langsuan/Chidlom/Wireless/Ruam Rudi Area

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=39330&hl=

I have a personal interest in The Park Residence http://www.theparkresidence.co.th/ and can advise all seems to be going very well. Indeed a new construction picture was posted today (click on the construction picture to get a larger version).

However I thought there may be additional information on the other major projects in the whole area namely:

The Athenee Residence

Still under construction, but quite far behind The Park. Apparently they are 100% sold.

The new hotel between Grand Hyatt and Four Seasons expected to be the Ritz Carlton?

I hear Ritz Carlton have pulled out. Not sure if they have a replacement yet.

Done. Mostly luxury brands like Coach, Burbury, etc. Connects to the skywalk.

New projects next to Wave Place and the British Embassy

Wave Place is rumoured to be sold, no news of whats being planned. British Embassy site is still under tender process, but i understand there are only 2 or 3 left standing. Not difficult to guess who is left in the game.

The start point of new air port rail-link to be located in Makkasan? I know nothing of this is it near the Park Residence?

Yes Makkasan is behind Petchburi Road, which is near Chidlom. The express rail project was awarded to B. Grimm and Siemens last year, not sure of the progress. As for the Makkasan station itself, i think the agencies are still fighting over that one.

There is quiet deal relating the Cambodian Embassy site on Rajadhamri Road. There is another site on Lang Suan that may be coming up soon. Even if successfully sold, i don't think condo sales will hit the market until 2007.

I hope this thread will be of use to those who live or soon will be living in the area.

Edited by thedude

LOTS OF ACTIVITY!!!! in the area----will be the core area of Bangkok soon :o

Park Residence on Chidlom

2 building infra-structures nearly completed

Manhattan condos on Petburi Rd near Chidlom intersection

early stages of construction

The Athenee Residence on Ruam Rudee right next to Ploenchit Station

It is 100% sold out (214 units)---unlike The Park Residence (also with 214 units)---construction coming along very well considering it started way after Park Residence started..

The new hotel between Grand Hyatt and Four Seasons

They completely halted all activity....but next door (behind the Peninsula mall), the new L&H Hotel construction site has come alive with a vengence....buses full of construction workers...cranes lit up til 2 AM every night....

Courtyard Hotel on same Soi as L&H Hotel

under renovation process

yup finished awhile ago

New projects next to Wave Place

the lot next door to Wave Place is still an empty lot with overgrown weeds....havent heard anything about plans for development

British Embassy parcel

still in the sales bidding process

The catwalk from Siam Station to Childlom Station is finished...the connecting catwalk to Central World Tower and Shopping Center is being completed

Renovation and Expansion of Central World Plaza mall

Under frantic construction

Construction of giant new flagship Central World Hotel

Under frantic construction

huge Central World Office Tower

recently completed! tenants moving in

Arnoma Hotel renovation (next door to Big C Metropolis

under process

Maneeya Office Tower next to Maneeya Center

Under construction, but seems to be temporarily halted

Siam Paragon Shopping Mall and new Kempinski Hotel

GIANT shopping mall opened on Dec 9th and made a big splash....lots of shops inside mall have yet to open but Cineplex set to open this weekend...Opera House, Concert Hall, Fitness Center will open soon, Aquarium (Siam Ocean World) already opened.......direct connection to the Siam Station......still curious looky-loos (instead of actual shoppers) crowding the mall on weekends....

not sure of construction status of new Kempinski Hotel

Platinum Wholesalers Mall on Petburi Rd (across the canal from Central World Plaza)

basically completed (except residential condos above mall)

Renovation of Siam Center

basically completed

Renovation of Siam Discovery Center

not yet finished

New Airport Rail Link Terminal at Makkasan

still in planning stages----dont count on taking a train to the new airport anytime soon...but hopefully new airport in the East will open by end of this year

new giant Condo Building on Lang Suan

planning stages....rumored to be named "Pied a Terre"--probably will be located on that under-utilized plot between Marriott Mayfair serviced apts and GrandLangSuanVille condos

Metropolis Rajaprasong Condos on top of huge wholesale Pratunam Complex

basket case----will be surprised if this is ever completed

New Museum building on corner opposite MBK and Siam Discovery

being constructed

new super expensive Baan Rajadamri condo on Rajadamri Rd

recently finished...interior fit-out now

Cambodian Embassy site on Rajadhamri Road---dont know status

thedude, trajan,

Many thanks for the update. As always you both have an amazing understanding of the area. I agree it does look like Bangkok is firmly committed to focusing on developing a core central upmarket area focused on the Ploenchit/langsuan/chidlom/wireless/ruam Rudi areas.

With regards to the New Airport Rail Link Terminal at Makkasan. I understand that the whole project is to be completed within three years. So If The Park completes on time towards the end of this year, there won't be that much of a wait for the trains :o Until then there is always the limo!

I understand all the 2 bedrooms have sold at The Park and the whole complex was 70% sold back in November. I suspect that the remaining units will sell out very quickly as people see the project taking final shape. It should be a stunning addition to the Bangkok skyline.

As I am given information on the projects in the area I will post to this thread.

PKRV

RAZZELL,

The Park Chidlom have gone for a personalised approach and effectively you need to enquire directly with them.

As a guide when I was looking nearly a year ago at apartments in The Park Chidlom I was quoted the following:

2 bedroom unit (type C) : 14,500,000 Baht

3 bedroom unit (type F) : 30,500,000 Baht

Obviously these prices may have changed since then, and the prices quoted were for particular apartments I was interested in buying.

It is worth making an appointment to see the show unit to get a clear idea on what the completed project will be like.

PKRV

• 3 months later...

I have a brief update on The Park Residence - Chidlom project. As things have progressed they now have a clearer picture on a completion date. It's looking like November timescales for the handover of the first apartments. So one months slip on the project not bad considering the timescales involved. I'm not sure European projects are so timely!

I have found it quite difficult to track the new airport rail-link to be located in Makkasan, is this still going ahead?

The airport rail link is under construction, although I would guess that they will probably finish about a year later than their official completion date (probably 2008-early 2009). There are supposed to be stations at Makassan, Ratchaprarop and Phaya Thai - with Phaya Thai linking up to the BTS.

However, there are some problems with the Phaya Thai station. The squatters behind the Decha Hospital hired some local goons to intimidate the rail workers - they don't want to and can't afford to move off of the free land that they've been squatting on for a couple of generations. So, unless the SRT decides to get tough with them, the Airport Link may end at Ratchaprarop and might not link up with the BTS.

I hadn't expected to post again quite so soon on The Park Residence but Hemaraj Land And Development Plc organized a Topping Out Ceremony marking the completion of concrete structure construction.

This I believe is a significant milestone.

Any new information on the Athenee Residence, or other major projects in the area?

Topping_our_ceremony_at_The_Park_Chidlom.pdf

I hadn't expected to post again quite so soon on The Park Residence but Hemaraj Land And Development Plc organized a Topping Out Ceremony marking the completion of concrete structure construction.

Any new information on the Athenee Residence, or other major projects in the area?

I no longer post much, but can add that Central Pattana have won the rights to develop the British Embassy site and are on process for that already, although have not confirmed whether there will be any residential at all within the development (my guess is not).

Suan Lum night bazaar site not far away also up for grabs, short listed to Raimon Land, Central and one other.

There are 2 more 8 story projects going on on Soi Sarasin 2, which is the little horseshoe soi off Sarasin Rd between Radjadami and Lang Suan. The Colony Lumpini and the Noble group are the 2 buildings. They are just on the opposite side of AUA, that is one the side toward Lumpini Park and just behind the Cambodian Embassy.

Both are on 1 rai of land and it is freehold land so the condo's can be owned. Both condo's are in the 100,000 /sq met range and will have nice pools on the roof, about 40 condo or 50 condo's per building I believe. They will be right beside each other so some of the views will be right into each others living rooms. Completion of The Colony mid 07 I think with the Noble project late 07.

I no longer post much, but can add that Central Pattana have won the rights to develop the British Embassy site and are on process for that already, although have not confirmed whether there will be any residential at all within the development (my guess is not).

Suan Lum night bazaar site not far away also up for grabs, short listed to Raimon Land, Central and one other.

the closing price for the BE makes it a bit too expensive for residential, although hotel or serviced apt might work.

the night bazaar final 3 bidders are actually Central, Sansiri and TCC Land. i venture that central might let this one go after winning the BE site. the night bazaar is a leasehold site so less attractive for residential projects. TCC is the most likely winner in my books as its much stronger financially than sansiri.

An Yai,

I am not actually sure what has happened to Bangkok prices since April 2005. Although this will initially be a rental, then possibly retirement property, so very long term. However I am being advised that the property is now worth around 16.5 M.

It would be nice to see some independent verification of pricing in the area; I’m not really close enough to the market to know for sure.

The British Embassy sale is interesting this has been on the boil for quite some time - It will important to know what they finally end up building.

the closing price for the BE makes it a bit too expensive for residential, although hotel or serviced apt might work.

the night bazaar final 3 bidders are actually Central, Sansiri and TCC Land. i venture that central might let this one go after winning the BE site. the night bazaar is a leasehold site so less attractive for residential projects. TCC is the most likely winner in my books as its much stronger financially than sansiri.

Oops! Getting line crossed with something else.

BE site, not surprised that the price was highest from Central; they had the most to lose in the event that a rival dept store such as Lane Crawford or Harvey Nics opened right next door which is what could have happened had one of the rival syndicates won. It is possible Central might have a hotel tower, possibly, but yes, agree that it is likely commercial + retail.

Interesting regarding Suam Lum site; you could be right; however Central are in the last 3, let's see what happens. When is the decision for that?

Oops! Getting line crossed with something else.

BE site, not surprised that the price was highest from Central; they had the most to lose in the event that a rival dept store such as Lane Crawford or Harvey Nics opened right next door which is what could have happened had one of the rival syndicates won. It is possible Central might have a hotel tower, possibly, but yes, agree that it is likely commercial + retail.

Interesting regarding Suam Lum site; you could be right; however Central are in the last 3, let's see what happens. When is the decision for that?

central's biggest competitor are the emporium people. i don't think thailand's market is ready for lane crawford or harvey nics prices. but i can see where your coming from, one of the BE final bidders was Hong Kong Land, the people who had enough clout to bring in all those high end retailers at gaysorn. i suspect the gaysorn retailers are suffering, but they grin and bear it because of Hong Kong Land's influence, they don't want to piss off the landlord who gives them access to greater china.

re night bazaar, the crown properties bureau works on its own time so it could be a while yet before results emerge. i remember receiving their RFP way back in 2004, or was it 2003? oh, and not only do i think TCC will get it, i think they will flip it right quick to those goons at capitaland for a big profit. you heard it here first folks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I've been reading your link with real interest.

As I recently purchased a condo in the Manhattan Chidlom project and I too am very intrested to know more about the Makkassan railway/link to new airport.

I read the online Bangkok Post + The Nation edition and try to keep up to date with it all.

Am I to understand that the go ahead for the light red line has been given the go ahead and that tenders are to be submitted by this Sept.

I also read somewhere that it was going to be designed on a similar process as the HK rail/air link where passengers can check in at the rail station.

Will the new station be on the old Makkassan railway stationand will the rest of the land around it be park area as I have read else where?

The Patunam centre (excuse my mis-spelling) its not the Sistine chapel ...but when will it be finished? I heard rumours that there was questions as to whether part of the Patunam centre should be given over to the new Makkassan railway....will be fab if that is the case.

What will happen to the night bazar, if land is sold? I do so love that place in the evening.

Quick question and maybe one of you clever birds will know the answer.

I also hear rumours that Siam Properties were perhaps looking to buy the area on the other side of the canal from Manhattan Chidlom and make it into small botique retail food outlets, I also hear that the lease hold for all of those warehouses are coming to an end, hence SP interest in purchasing said land.

Where can I find pictures of the recently prussed up Central World building and plaza + how is that swanky looking tower near the Fashion plaza opposite Armani hotel coming on?

I wish google earth was updated daily.

Speak with you all soon,

AM

You may find these links on the Skyscraper forum of use. Bangkok architecture appears to have a cult following.

The Manhattan, 35 Storey : Chitlom

http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=177314

The Park Residence, 35+28 Storey : Chidlom

http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=82189

The Athenee Residence , 40 Storey : Wireless Road

http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=130008

Sorry I don't have any further information on your other questions.

:o

Thank you, kind of you to help.

I couldn't afford any of the others, they were far too expensive for my budget.

Its the makkassan airport link part that I am really interested in.

Any info on its progress would be fab, I read in the Bangkopost that around 14 pillars out of a 130 were been investigated and that 2 pillars were actually going ot be demolished and said construction Co investigated...they really ought not to short cut on construction strenght and material not if said link will be carrying people.

Anyway, thank you for your help.

AM

You may find these links on the Skyscraper forum of use. Bangkok architecture appears to have a cult following.

The Manhattan, 35 Storey : Chitlom

http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=177314

The Park Residence, 35+28 Storey : Chidlom

http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=82189

The Athenee Residence , 40 Storey : Wireless Road

http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=130008

Sorry I don't have any further information on your other questions.

• 3 weeks later...

Again taken from the skyscraper forum. The new development on the British Embassy grounds will be the tallest in Thailand.

85 Storey Office Tower ("Thailand's new tallest” when completed), 46 Hotel and 39 Storey Serviced Apartment Tower on a 10 Storey Retail Mall managed by Central Group.

I particularly liked the picture predicting the future of Bangkok's skyline in 5-10 years.

Any independent thoughts on these projects?

post-16669-1153290134.jpg

Again taken from the skyscraper forum. The new development on the British Embassy grounds will be the tallest in Thailand.

85 Storey Office Tower ("Thailand's new tallest” when completed), 46 Hotel and 39 Storey Serviced Apartment Tower on a 10 Storey Retail Mall managed by Central Group.

I particularly liked the picture predicting the future of Bangkok's skyline in 5-10 years.

the only way that an 85 storey tower can be achieved on that site is if it uses wireless road as its official frontage, which would back the building up against the western perimeter. this is bad news for me because i live on somkid, this will be an eyesore for a long time to come.

the only way that an 85 storey tower can be achieved on that site is if it uses wireless road as its official frontage, which would back the building up against the western perimeter. this is bad news for me because i live on somkid, this will be an eyesore for a long time to come.

Hi, may i ask, where is the new suan lum bazaar's gonna be?

• 1 month later...

I have been given some additional information on three of the items in this thread:

The first item: New airport rail-link

It is under construction, and will link to Suwannabhumi airport at end of next year, 2007.

The airport rail-link is planned to be 28 KM and will run from Payathai to the new airport.

However by end of next year it will be opened and operate for only 25 KM from Makkasan to

Suwannabhumi airport. So this will service The Park Residence and Manhattan Chidlom project as well as the core CBD - in Central Chidlom.

I understand Suwannabhumi airport will be open and operating for domestic on September 15, 2006 and on September 28, 2006 for International route. Apparently the progress of new airport rail-link is 30% completed.

The second project: Night Market , Suan Lum Night Bazaar

Still in the bidding process by 3 groups. It is 30 years leasehold property (Thailand King's property).

Some report that Central Group might be the one who win. It is a large land plot, 126 rais ( over 25,000 Sqm.). So it might be comprised of office building complex and hotels.

The Park Residence - Chidlom

The spires are now beginning to be erected and overall construction is at a very, very, advanced stage. Many windows are in and interior work is well in hand. My gut feel is that we should be spending Christmas in Bangkok.

I have been given some additional information on three of the items in this thread:

The first item: New airport rail-link

It is under construction, and will link to Suwannabhumi airport at end of next year, 2007.

The airport rail-link is planned to be 28 KM and will run from Payathai to the new airport.

However by end of next year it will be opened and operate for only 25 KM from Makkasan to

Suwannabhumi airport. So this will service The Park Residence and Manhattan Chidlom project as well as the core CBD - in Central Chidlom.

I have heard rumours that despite wanting it to run all the way to King Power's new monolith centre in Phayathai, that getting rid of the squatters has proved too hard, so it will stop short of that.

Okay at risk of going off topic - I heard somewhere that the developers were only driving their foundation pilings for these skyscrapers a fraction of the depth that would be required in Western or Japanese standards. I was told that bedrock is too far down. Anyone know the truth? Bangkok is built on a marsh I seem to recall... :o

One of the main reasons for buying a new Condo now in Bangkok is because of the excellent new building regulations that have been put into effect to counter another '97 property crash. This covers everything from providing green space (I believe this was done via an extensive roof garden at the Athenne, the Park occupies 35% of around 5 1/2 rai of land), through to new more stringent building regulations. Perhaps one of the Thai Visa experts could add to this?

Whilst everyone needs to exercise due vigilance on buying any building, I can say that the Park has 4 sublevels for car parking alone. 7 floors at the park equate to around the same height at 11 stories elsewhere due to the height of the rooms. There are of course flood barriers, walls done to swimming pool standards and pumps etc.

Out of interest have there actually been any documented instances with buildings having issues with foundations depth? The Bangkok market seems rife with rumours but they often seem very difficult indeed to nail down.

thaigene2 the bedrock for skyscrapers in bangkok is on -18 to -22 m. and -55 to -65, depends on requirement of the building. Usually for high rise building is on -60

This topic is real interesting...

Keep the list goes on darling.

Edited by donne