Air Conditioning Cassette ? Good Or Bad

Butterfly

I bought what they call an Air Conditioning Cassette, a unit that is embedded into the ceiling.

These units are actually quite expensive. Usual prices are about 70,000 to 90,000 per unit, I got a great deal on the Saijo Denki, very quiet, and only 40,000

So far no disaster with the installation :o

However after a few tests I was surprised to see that it wasn't as cold as I expected. For comparison, I have a regular "wall" unit and it works great. The room is freezing cold in less than 20 min. With the Air Con cassette, even after 2 hours, I don't feel like the room is cold enough or really cold. It always feels like it's not working. Not sure if this is an impression or the reality. However, I remember someone telling me that their Air Con Unit embedded into the ceiling never really worked and were always disappointing. Anyone with experience with them ? or is it "urban legend" that they never work as expected.

I would have thought it was all to do with how "grunty" the unit was?How many BTU?

other unit is also 18,000 but much stronger and cooler, but it's a wall unit

I am not an expert but after some research and much discussion over the years the " Grunty ness is not the only factor ...too grunty and the unit cools quickly and is then constantly cycling but the air can remain humid ,so the comfort factor is not as good ie change the thermostat and try to make it colder ..expensive ". If the unit is less '' grunty '' it cools slower but runs longer and therfore with more running time lowers the humidity level and this improves the comfort factor and the costs are reduced .

Bigger is better I have learnt is not always true ...depending on the climatic conditions ie temp and humidity . For example

I find Thailand can be very uncomfortable and highly humid ( not as bad as Bangladesh ) sitting in the garden is not always a pleasure and A/C in the house is absolutely vital . But Morocco where the temperature can be significantly higher I spent 9 years there and never had an A/C a few fans worked, the dry heat and plenty of natural breezes ..plus very few mozzies so wide open windows ..if found it was much more bearable .

But A/C of the cassette type against wall mounted split units .. Ceiling looks better is more expensive but the knowledge pool is smaller sorry no direct experience

• 14 years later...
On 1/26/2006 at 8:51 PM, Butterfly said:

I bought what they call an Air Conditioning Cassette, a unit that is embedded into the ceiling.

These units are actually quite expensive. Usual prices are about 70,000 to 90,000 per unit, I got a great deal on the Saijo Denki, very quiet, and only 40,000

So far no disaster with the installation :o

However after a few tests I was surprised to see that it wasn't as cold as I expected. For comparison, I have a regular "wall" unit and it works great. The room is freezing cold in less than 20 min. With the Air Con cassette, even after 2 hours, I don't feel like the room is cold enough or really cold. It always feels like it's not working. Not sure if this is an impression or the reality. However, I remember someone telling me that their Air Con Unit embedded into the ceiling never really worked and were always disappointing. Anyone with experience with them ? or is it "urban legend" that they never work as expected.

urban legend. Your cassette is undersized, your wall unit is vastly oversized, neither are “working great”
we have a cassette in our large living/kitchen and a wall unit in our bedroom. Both correctly sized, both can get the rooms cold enough to need jumpers, neither will do that in less than about an hour